Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy

Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy Employee Reviews

United Kingdom46 reviews
Productive workplace
It was an okay experience as I got on with staff but this was just a temporary role for me and they wanted temp staff to achieve targets, although I learnt a lot about data entry and what is expected of local government employees.
Disappointing
Potential to be a great place to work but outdated policies and approaches.
Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Inductions poor

So much talk about diversity and inclusion but should you suggest points of consideration or alternative views that do not fit ; then you may be in trouble.

Beehive on the roof!
High turnover, high stress
High turnover and consistent understaffing leads to a long-hours culture where lower grades take the worst of it. High turnover also means that most people at any given time are new to their jobs. There is no salary progression, so there is a çulture of changing roles every year or two, with significant stigma towards those who stay in roles longer, who are seen to be stagnating. There is no such thing as promotion, to obtain a higher level role, you must apply for it like a new job, meaning that people move to completely unrelated roles frequently, and knowledge retention is poor.
Pros
Secure job, good pension, good benefits, emphasis on self-improvement
Cons
Long work-hours culture, blame-shifting, most people inexperienced in their roles, lengthy and frequently-changing internal processes for every task
Loved working here. Shame I left but decided I needed a change. People are all friendly and helpful.
Environment could be better but it is the Civil Service. A bit hard for parking in area.
Brilliant place to work
I have learnt a lot here and have met some lovely people. I have learned Microsoft Dynamix, No Deal Brexit info and also how to help pre start, start up and established businesses with a plethora of subjects. The culture is relaxed but in a good way as we still have a keen eye for detail. Hardest part is the location but it has been worth travelling too. It is a shame that this has been a temporary contract. I have loved my 2 month here indeed and would return again if the time was right.
Interesting and welcoming workplace.
The Department for Business, Energy and Infrastructure was extremely insightful in the way that you could get the feel of working for the future and how working with your peers makes a fun workplace with boosted morale. When I had my work experience here I found that there is a healthy community as well as really devoted workers that do really interesting projects and work.
great place to work
fun and productive, exciting and informative, progression is good as is work life balance. Work as part of a team as well as using your own initiative.
Highly Competitive and non aligned culture
Non project environment and and no delegated authority. decisions are not clear and there is a constant recycling of ideas and policy with no real outcome
Pros
good location
Layback
It is a layback place. It is not for people who like fast paced jobs.
They train their people and most people are young and warm. The organization promotes flexible work .
Very busy role but varied and very interesting
Dealing with casework, accounts and all aspects of office work.

I learned about court procedures relating to bankruptcy and insolvent companies. How to deal with the related paperwork.

The managers were very helpful and guiding.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the genuine hard luck stories of people losing their business and livelihood.

The most enjoyable part was culture of the office-there was always someone to help if there were problems
Ok place to work but limited opportunities outside of London
Ok department as far as the civil service goes, there are much worse.

Opportunity to work on interesting policy areas, which benefit the UK and the UK economy.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
London centric
Insolvency Services
Monday to Friday shift pattern. Easy job but ever shifting. Poor management and lacking with targets. Everyone sits at their computer job searching ..depressing
Pros
Flexi shifts
Cons
Poor management
Excellant
I really enjoyed working for the Insolvency Service as they are a very fair employer and I really enjoyed working for them. Very friendly and very flexible.
Pros
Flexi time/Good support network/Enjoyed eating lots of food ie birthdays
Cons
Where the office is now situated
Well run, professional organisation
Great place to work if you're a contractor. Rates aren't always the highest but good people and an easy to get to central city location.

Dept I worked in had a high skill level and they were both happy to plug the gaps with contractors and learn from them.

Only bad thing I can say is that they applied the two year IR35 limit which meant we lost services mid-project.
Pros
Cons
Rate
Fulfilling work assisting others
On a day to day basis I would:

• Provide clear and concise information regarding queries relating, but not limited to energy saving advice.

• Provide a clear course of action for the customer to take to obtain and install the specific measure requested initially.

• Record all appropriate data in a timely and efficient manner.

• Take part in various quality feedback sessions.

• Feeding back and learning from daily meetings.
Pros
Simple to grasp
Cons
Repetitive
Nice place to work
I enjoyed my time at Insolvency Service as was a flexible fun place to work. The only negative was the pay was not great. But there was a lot of work to keep you busy.
Pros
Nice people, flexible hours
Cons
Not good pay
Opportunities to work with Ministers
A secure job with good pay and conditions. Provided opportunities to influence Ministers and decision makers about policy and to engage with a wide range of stakeholder networks.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Not directly in control of decision taken - small fish in big pond
Great work/life balance.
An overall brilliant organisation to work for, when help is required it is always available. Personal and professional queries are handled very well by senior members of staff.
Best plcae for career progression.
My team members were really helpful and nice towards helping me fulfil my duties as an Admin Officer. you do need to exercise patience and you will do.
Pros
flexible hours and working from home
Cons
Can not think of any
First Job after sixth form
My work involved providing Secretariat to a Review. I had organised and dealt with FTSE350 Chairs, CEO's and Company Secretaries to Regional roadshows and Report launch events.

Working in the Civil service is a fast pace environment which has enabled me to better my management skills. I enjoyed writing correspondences on behalf of the Minister in our Department.
Not a pleasent place, a lot of pressure, not appreciated
A typical day would involve sorting the incoming mail, opening the important/urgent mail and sending the rest, unopened to HQ to be scanned & emailed in a separate system, linked to the database the next day. It then had to be indexed (properly titled and electronically filed in the correct place) which took a long time & was extremely boring. The outgoing mail was enveloped & franked in the afternoon & taken to the post room by 3:30pm. Parcels also, as they were sent by DX. I requested boxes from offsite storage, solved printer problems and ordered stationery.

I learned how to file documents electronically, use Iron Mountain's database for requesting boxes & destruction reports, I also learned how to order stationery online & knowing what we could & couldn't order due to budget.

The workplace became very unpleasant due to a lot of system changes, office closures, loss of staff & bullying. It was a great place for many years but not now.

The hardest part of the job was finding the enthusiasm to go there & stay there 5 days a week. There ended up being nothing enjoyable about the job or environment whatsoever which is a great shame. A lot of people, me included thought it was a job for life but not anymore.
Pros
Flexible working & lunch hours
Cons
Everything else
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. Our community is ready to answer.