Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy

Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy Employee Reviews

Very busy role but varied and very interesting
(Clerical Officer) and Inland Revenue (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Upon Tyne and Peterborough27 February 2019
Dealing with casework, accounts and all aspects of office work.

I learned about court procedures relating to bankruptcy and insolvent companies. How to deal with the related paperwork.

The managers were very helpful and guiding.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the genuine hard luck stories of people losing their business and livelihood.

The most enjoyable part was culture of the office-there was always someone to help if there were problems
Ok place to work but limited opportunities outside of London
Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire22 February 2019
Ok department as far as the civil service goes, there are much worse.

Opportunity to work on interesting policy areas, which benefit the UK and the UK economy.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
London centric
Insolvency Services
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 January 2019
Monday to Friday shift pattern. Easy job but ever shifting. Poor management and lacking with targets. Everyone sits at their computer job searching ..depressing
Pros
Flexi shifts
Cons
Poor management
Excellant
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, UK9 December 2018
I really enjoyed working for the Insolvency Service as they are a very fair employer and I really enjoyed working for them. Very friendly and very flexible.
Pros
Flexi time/Good support network/Enjoyed eating lots of food ie birthdays
Cons
Where the office is now situated
Well run, professional organisation
PROGRAMME MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London30 August 2018
Great place to work if you're a contractor. Rates aren't always the highest but good people and an easy to get to central city location.

Dept I worked in had a high skill level and they were both happy to plug the gaps with contractors and learn from them.

Only bad thing I can say is that they applied the two year IR35 limit which meant we lost services mid-project.
Pros
Cons
Rate
Fulfilling work assisting others
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 July 2018
On a day to day basis I would:

• Provide clear and concise information regarding queries relating, but not limited to energy saving advice.
• Provide a clear course of action for the customer to take to obtain and install the specific measure requested initially.
• Record all appropriate data in a timely and efficient manner.
• Take part in various quality feedback sessions.
• Feeding back and learning from daily meetings.
Pros
Simple to grasp
Cons
Repetitive
Nice place to work
Admin Clerk (Former Employee) –  Southend21 June 2018
I enjoyed my time at Insolvency Service as was a flexible fun place to work. The only negative was the pay was not great. But there was a lot of work to keep you busy.
Pros
Nice people, flexible hours
Cons
Not good pay
Opportunities to work with Ministers
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London21 May 2018
A secure job with good pay and conditions. Provided opportunities to influence Ministers and decision makers about policy and to engage with a wide range of stakeholder networks.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Not directly in control of decision taken - small fish in big pond
Great work/life balance.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 April 2018
An overall brilliant organisation to work for, when help is required it is always available. Personal and professional queries are handled very well by senior members of staff.
Best plcae for career progression.
Admin Officer (contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
My team members were really helpful and nice towards helping me fulfil my duties as an Admin Officer. you do need to exercise patience and you will do.
Pros
flexible hours and working from home
Cons
Can not think of any
First Job after sixth form
POLICY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
My work involved providing Secretariat to a Review. I had organised and dealt with FTSE350 Chairs, CEO's and Company Secretaries to Regional roadshows and Report launch events.

Working in the Civil service is a fast pace environment which has enabled me to better my management skills. I enjoyed writing correspondences on behalf of the Minister in our Department.
Not a pleasent place, a lot of pressure, not appreciated
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire12 October 2017
A typical day would involve sorting the incoming mail, opening the important/urgent mail and sending the rest, unopened to HQ to be scanned & emailed in a separate system, linked to the database the next day. It then had to be indexed (properly titled and electronically filed in the correct place) which took a long time & was extremely boring. The outgoing mail was enveloped & franked in the afternoon & taken to the post room by 3:30pm. Parcels also, as they were sent by DX. I requested boxes from offsite storage, solved printer problems and ordered stationery.

I learned how to file documents electronically, use Iron Mountain's database for requesting boxes & destruction reports, I also learned how to order stationery online & knowing what we could & couldn't order due to budget.

The workplace became very unpleasant due to a lot of system changes, office closures, loss of staff & bullying. It was a great place for many years but not now.

The hardest part of the job was finding the enthusiasm to go there & stay there 5 days a week. There ended up being nothing enjoyable about the job or environment whatsoever which is a great shame. A lot of people, me included thought it was a job for life but not anymore.
Pros
Flexible working & lunch hours
Cons
Everything else
Fun and challenging place to work
Policy Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 July 2017
Fun and challenging place to work. Good work culture and team. Management were good and strong. Hardest part of the job was maintaining resilience during peaks and dealing with stressed out people.
Pros
Fun and challenging place to work
Cons
long hours and can be stressfull
Very flexible workplace
Business Support Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen City13 July 2017
Flexi working system in place is excellent for parents of young children and also for any carers. For some grades there is also the opportunity to work from home on occasion. It is also a good varied job allowing you to mix and work with all grades. There is also excellent opportunities for progression within the department.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor salary
I do not wish to disclose another company's details
Chargehand/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Immingham, Lincolnshire22 May 2017
As above, I have worked with this company for most of my life and held positions such as, supervisor, contracts manager, business development manager, and branch manager. However 4 years ago I changed back to a scaffolders position to give me more time with my family.
Pros
Rate of pay is balanced
Cons
Unknown work dates
lovely place
ADMIN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 April 2017
lovely people and working enviroment
work role was well varied.i did general admin i also got to work on three different teams in my two years there.
Hardest part of the job was being to multi task on little training.
lovely enviroment
ADMIN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 April 2017
Atypical day consisted of going down to collect the post. Bringing it back up and sorting it to the correct teams it was also general admin work but what was good was the cross training given so the work load never got boring .
Everyone there got along very well it was one of the reasons that I enjoyed working there many agency workers where made permanent which also showed it was a work place that valued work ethnics of certain individuals and I also made some life long friends.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
agency staff easy to dispose off
Greta Job!
Tribunal and Recoveries Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 January 2017
A great job. Co-workers on the whole very easy to work with and always happy to help. Made to feel part of the team and he entire service despite only being a Temp. Good wages. Nice offices.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Travel
Great Place to work
Insolvency Case Support Officer, (Former Employee) –  London10 January 2017
Had a great time working at the Insolvency Service. People I worked with were friendly and there was a real team togetherness. Dealing with different people everyday and trying to help them.
Pros
Flexi
Small but very busy office
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  near Blackpool Airport5 June 2016
My job is that of Court Liaison Officer, although I also have my own bankruptcy and liquidation cases that I have to monitor from the case being built on-line to closing the case after all case work has been dealt with.

As Court Liaison Officer, I am instructed by case examiners to book court hearings and prepare paperwork for court hearings. The hardest part of my job at the moment is having to cope with backlogs of work at the courts, which can result in paperwork not being returned to me on time, so hearing dates are having to be adjourned and re-listed. This then results in duplicated paperwork being re-sent to court.

I enjoy working across grades as a team, to help our customer's with any problems that they may have as a result of having been made bankrupt.
Pros
Flexi time and sometimes able to work from home
Cons
I spend a minimum of 2 hours per day travelling to and from work