DEICHMANN

DEICHMANN Employee Reviews

United Kingdom115 reviews
Fast paced fashion focused.
To Thrive in the Company you must be a quick thinking ambitious and hard working individual. Strong focus on active customer service and trend changes. Can do attitude with a smile can get you promoted fast .
Pros
commitment is rewarded
Cons
Life work balance a bit difficult for those with families.
Fun place to work, great colleagues
I really enjoy working at Deichmann, all staff are very easy to get along with and the management are very caring and friendly.
You are expected to hit targets (Shoe Care) but it is always achievable with enough effort.

The only downside to the job is the pay as it is quite low.
Don’t bother. Especially if you’re under 21.
The job was advertised to myself and my colleagues as an £8.41 role. We worked for a whole month commuting to a different city only to find we have been on £6.35 as we are aged 19/20. This is due to the appalling management. We do not know when we are working a day in advance let alone a week or two. It’s overall the worst run job i’ve ever had and it’s stressful in every aspect.
Appalling work environment
For the Wigan store there are quite a few targets but it’s not too hard to hit them. However the store manager is atrocious and doesn’t have any people skills whatsoever. She bullies the younger members of staff and tends to not like anyone who will stand up for themselves. She has had multiple staff members walk out of their jobs because of the way they are treated, there is no dignity or equality throughout that particular store. I have witnessed members of staff in tears due to how she speaks to them and have also seen how amusing she has found it upsetting staff hoping they will quit so she can hire new. She is a disgusting excuse of a manager and I would avoid working for this store at all costs. The store also have regular stock changes which are compulsory to work, you may sometimes be there till past midnight even if you have children or other commitments you are expected to stay. There is no organisation as the management usually does not attend themselves even though they are supposed to and leave the staff picking up their slack with no real direction.
Productive working place
Relaxing working environment, not always busy. Previous manager was the loveliest Indian lady, however the current manager is racist unfortunately. Delivery days made the days go faster.
Great colleagues, no progression
I thoroughly enjoyed my first 6 months at Deichmann. However Salary was not enough to live off and there was no opportunity for career progressions. Sales targets are strict and you are constantly moaned at and reminded this if not achieving them. However, a great team and management 95% of the time.
Fun workplace
Deichmann is a fun place to work and I have made such good friends since working there. The pay is okay if all you're looking for is a part time job as full-time you wouldn't earn as much and they're known for only giving 3/4hr shifts a day.
Stressful work place with bad management
The management of this store is awful. She is very stressing and has no compassion or empathy towards the staff.
You get a 6 hours contract and if you don't have another job, or go to University, is not worth it.

I would not recommend working in there.
Management won’t treat you fairly unless you’re their bestie and their little spy.
Say they trust you yet they’ll watch you like a hawk.

Don’t pay for overtime even though it’s promised in contracts
Awful
Had a horrible experience working for this company, was a really catastrophic company to work for, no organisation and the other staff weren’t exactly helpful.
loved my time here!
thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the deichmann team! all staff and management are a delight! the communication and team work is fantastic. over all a great experience and wish i never left.
Pros
co workers, management and pay are all great.
Cons
Lots in interaction with customers.
Fun environment. Fast paced. Good bonus scheme in place. Very organised and easy replenishment system. Easy to maintain store standards. Input in stock ordering reducing delivery size.
Rubbish place to work
Have to work like a donkey standing up all day. Needs like 30 workers a day but only has 3 workers a day. What a joke. The commission you make in selling shoe care gets sgared witg the other lazy people that didn't bother selling it.
Absolutely hated it! Pathetic management!
The manager got sacked for no reason, supervisor left, me as a key holder held responsible for everything. No support from regional or district manager. No professionalism at all, didnt appreciate me covering manager and supervisors hours. And wasn’t paid my correct wage! Once i told the district manager she said it cant be back dated! I went to HR and they backdated me and resolved the issue. Ive worked there for 2 years. If the manager didn’t get sacked for no reason I’d stay! We were an amazing team! A family! Unfortunately district managers and above seem to think they are Gods gifts. I’m so glad I’ve left! I’d rather have no job than work there!
Deichmann
The management are a load of rubbish no care for there staff under them dont work there they have you working like a dog and tell you that your doing things wrong when in fact it is the way they have told you to do it just make you feel like your a worthless person
Productive but boring workplace
A typical day at work was fast paced. I learned a lot of customer service skills and communication skills. The management was pretty mediocre and wasn't really professional. The workplace culture was very good. The hardest part of the job was persuading customers to buy special offer products. The most enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues.
management was useless
I was there for 6 weeks and the management never taught me how to use the till or where things went, all i did was check the stock the store had and tucked shoelaces in i would ask as it was my first job but nothing changed so i left to find a better job that would actually give me experience
Terrible
Stressful job, horrendously underpaid and massively overworked. Working here put me in therapy, management were incompetent and terrible. I hated every second.
Rsther stick a corkscrew in my eyes.
Dreadful place to work. Was brilliant in the beginning but after the catastrophe of managers, and the current manager, I'd swerve if I were you. No please, no thank you, nothing. You get treated like a 5 year old and talked to like garbage. So if you enjoy being treated like that then go for it. If not, avoid.
Don't even bother.
Honestly, one of the worst places I've worked. Being a young adult the wage was extremely poor. The lowest I've ever been paid for my age actually. The days were very stressful and so much is demanded of you for that meagre wage. If you are young person I advise you do not work here. I was on a small hour contract and ended up working 6 to 7 days a week within the first month. Your life will be Deichmann with no room to negotiate, one reason being that everyone keeps on leaving because of this; so some stores seem to be incredibly low on staff. You are required to subsidise part of your uniform, which is mandatory to wear. So its just another way of the company trying to get more out of people. Not to mention the relentless pressure of targets given to you. being told to offer every customer a shoe care product when the product they're buying doesn't even need this, some staff even trying for a second or third time in one purchase trying to hard sell something the customer obviously doesn't want, making it embarrassing and awkward for everyone. You are also given training modules and booklets to complete outside of work, considering the wage I was on I was not happy about devoting all my time to Deichmann. 40+ hours a week when I was looking for a steady part time job. Coworkers are lovely and the lower management seems bearable. But like a lot of big businesses. There is no soul , and they treat their staff as dispensable and don't consider they have any life at all. I was told also that my thick strapped vest I was wearing on a 32 degree day was inappropriate when other members - more...
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
long hours, low pay, lots expected of you, monotonous repetitive tasks and everything else I mentioned
i enjoyed the experiance
it was a busy environment which i really enjoyed. i also enjoyed meeting and helping the customers to find what they were looking for. the staff were very friendly and easy to work with. the company is a pleasure to work for but i found that my i t skills were letting me down. i am taking steps to rectify this with computer lessons