DEFRA Employee Reviews

Nice people
Temporary contract (Current Employee) –  Brooke, UK13 December 2018
This is a really good place to work but not through an agency as the wages are barely above minimum wage. The work is complex and the salary does not reflect the expertise required for the post.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low wages
More Temps than full time staff, great intelligent staff who were friendly and polite
Support Adviser (Former Employee) –  Worcester30 September 2018
I was telephoned about the job by an agency. The staff were great but hundreds left due to insecurity whilst awaiting new about Brexit. Due to frequent departures I found that people's roles were changed every few weeks.

There was no formal training for a technical role with bespoke IT systems. This led to a lack of consistency, as we had to muddle through, often being shown how to use a program by someone who had been shown the day before.

Despite their obvious frustrations I enjoyed learning new things and the clients staff were polite and courteous. The lack of job security was demoralizing for staff.
Pros
Flexi-time, lots of leaving cake!
Cons
Three people left in one day, Lack of consistency and poor communication
Productive and Fun
Technical Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  York19 July 2018
It is a very relaxed work place, you will never feel like you are being rushed or pressured to do anything. The only issue is work can be a bit scarce at times, so you might spend sometime twiddling your thumbs. The management try their best to keep us up to date with what they expect of us or what they want us to achieve. Overall i cannot knock it as the working hours are very flexible enabling work life balance to be possible.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of work and consistancy
Interesting environment
Interim Workforce Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 June 2018
long day due to commute
learned more about workforce planning
management was typical public sector
professional culture
commute challenging
enthusiastic colleagues
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Long commute
Fisheries Bilogist
Fisheries Biologist/Fisheries Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft8 June 2018
CEFAS, great organisation to work, truly world renowned expertise across the environmental and fisheries sector.
Cefas will offer the potential to work in various areas of the organisation and offer you exposure to worldwide events. They nurture people and talent throughout .
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
good
Processing Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Northallerton6 April 2018
great annual leave allowances, great flexible working hours, great pension scheme, great sick pay options. very reassuring management who provide all the necessary tools to progress in your career
Good Experience and meeting new people
PMO Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 March 2018
A typical working day, Good Experience and meeting new people. Working on the Brexit programme.

A lot of young and enthuastic people wanting to learn lot
Best years of my working life
IT Support (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2018
I worked for Defra for 12 years; the managers, training, flexible working, and colleagues all made for a great working experience. I nominated myself for early exit in 2006 and regret that decision every day!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not so good working in the regional agencies
Not so typical Civil Service
Various to Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 December 2017
Multi-disciplinary organisations that has a big impact on your daily life.

The management have a problem managing which isnt great and leads to wasted time/money.
Varied and interesting work
Secretary/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire18 October 2017
Typing letters and reports, filing, reception cover, I enjoyed meeting the public and learned interpersonal and communication skills. Also computer skills and how to prioritise my work load.
Great experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Cornwall3 October 2017
Being a farmer I completely and thoroughly enjoyed this work. Only there for a week due to it being work experience. Wonderful people and great work. Need to be strong willed and bubbly.
fun place to work
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  London20 September 2017
-daily office operations
-working within the team
-working with governmental agencies to achieve targets
-updating database and dealing with clients correspondence files
Pros
sometimes free lunch
Cons
far away from where I live
Rewarding job on a fixed term contract
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire26 July 2017
This was a fixed term Security contract in which I had to ensure the Security of the complex and the staff within.

I learnt to be punctual and courteous but to do a professional job in checking people's identification, information and bags.
The day job
Desk based Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge20 June 2017
A typical day at work involves first reading any emails, responding to them, checking the inhouse Edomero database for any potato export applications that need inputting on the spreadsheet, seed export applications which have had their representative sample taken by an inspector and passed a laboratory inspection. If the seed or potato applications have passed their inspections , then phytosanitary certificates are generated, edited and sent to the exporter.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Boring work
DEFRA was a good place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brixham31 May 2017
I worked for the Fisheries office in Brixham & the job involved checking Fishermen's log sheets & inputting the information on computer using an inhouse computer system.

I also helped to send out fishing licences when required & gave advice to Fishernen.
Pros
Close to home
Office
Post Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 May 2017
I collected post incoming and outgoing several times a day then took round to other offices whilst picking up more post ,then take back to my office ,at end of day any post left locked in cupboard
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Temp
cog in a wheel
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcester10 March 2017
I thoroughly loved working at DEFRA, the people of various ages wee always welcoming and the management very approachable. The work load was consistant which kept stress levels very low. I still believe the civil service is one of the few careers for life.
Good team work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 February 2017
When asked to work at Prince Charles House I have trained on customer service and many subjects.management is well organised.We have good team works.The hardest part is the angry person threaten physically. Escorting diplomas.
Pros
Cons
12 hours
Data Migration Project to Oracle R12
Data Migration Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2017
Overseeing the supplier's technical solution for the data migration part of the project to move 12 government organisations to Oracle R12 and leading the data cleanse work across the 12 organisations, ensuring data issues were being cleared up prior to the data migration taking place.

This was a one-off project rather than an ongoing role.
Cons
Supplier changed technical subcontractor at the last moment, creating a major delay.
Civil Service
Financial Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 January 2017
An Executive Agency of the DEFRA department. Not a fully departmental feel, but still a headquarter feel, especially having other offices around the country.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DEFRA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2