Defence Science and Technology Laboratory

Defence Science and Technology Laboratory Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
Good pay/ Work enviornment
I felt that working here was a great opportunity if you want to go into science or engineering. The reason I no longer work there was due to personal circumstances.
Miserable, stressful, toxic culture
Do yourself a favour and Get an job anywhere but here.

Toxic management environment.

The science always takes a back seat to the politics.

The only way to get ahead is to trample over somebody else.
Many varied types of work.
If you have the right attitude then there are great experiences to be had.
Work is very interesting and i the main driver for all involved.

There is certainly opportunities for growth, education and retraining.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Clunky managerial structure.
Fast paced
Good working conditions with excellent junior management. Interesting and challenging work in a fast paced but friendly environment. Enjoyed my time here but low pay for agency workers.
Incompetent management & back-stabbing colleagues.
When I applied for promotion I received an outstanding commendation from my Task Leader which was ignored by my Group Leader who classed me as barely adequate.
Also, due to restructuring I had to reapply for my own job and even though I had been performing it for over 10 years was turned down & made redundant because of my age (unable to prove this but was told on good authority).
If you like to be bullied, harrassed, and do as your told.. work for DSTL
Initially I was excited to work at Dstl, but found that a lot of unqualified Team Leaders and Project Managers who have no idea of how to treat skilled resource demeaning. This resulted in a culture of bullying, harassment, and intimidation, an attitude of put up or shut up. Some Team Leaders let the management structure of Dstl down, and would not be able to work in the private industry. Such behaviour would not be tolerated, and they would be held to account of their actions.

Some Team Leaders within the Platforms Division are not fit for purpose, they see skilled people as a threat to their positions, and would therefore micro-manage unnecessarily where such behaviour results in the workplace atmosphere being untenable.

There is also a culture of favouritism, if your face does not fit, you will not be there for long, irrelevant of being able to deliver your role and responsibilities.

Wishing anyone who is looking for opportunities there the best of luck as they will need it.
Pros
Canteen, Coffee Shop
Cons
Management ie. Team Leaders in Platforms Division having no idea on how to treat people fairly.
Interesting and challenging
Dstl provides a work environment that actively encourages development of technical skills whilst providing opportunities to experience the wide variety of work being undertaken
Hierarchical
Poor culture.
Lack of leadership and management

Heavy on long processes that could be stream lined

Does not empower staff

No accountability of actions

Unacceptable behaviour not dealt with
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Defence Science and Technology Laboratory?
Good place
Shame the site is closing down as its a nice and tranquil place to work. Very secure with the police presence.

Opportunities to see things you would not normally.
Brilliant... but could be better!
Dstl is a superb place to work, only let down by poor middle mangement and a lack of vision by the a number of leaders.

Some more experience and fundemental understanding needed at that level!
Very educative
I was showed the inner workings of the company and how things operated as well as being given tasks that aid in the protection of the country, as is the organisation's aim.
A good place to work with ample opportunities.
If you're looking to expand your knowledge and grow this is one of the best places to do so.

Great people full of diversity.
Interesting place with pleasent colleagues
Been an interesting work place with challenging work loads for my time here .
Met some very knowledgeable people within and from outside the establishment
Pros
Flexi time working along with good annual leave entitlement
Cons
Relocation to far away for family life
Typical Civil Servant Work
Interesting and engaging work, but with ever decreasing pay-to-work ratio due to current government priorities. Engaging staff and lower management, but disconnected executives.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Poor pay
Work life balance
Great company for what it does supporting research and development .
Promote a work life balance

Salary not competitive but does have good benefits such as 6 weeks holiday
Bullying Central!
Stay away from this place. They say they take bullying seriously but god help you if you report it. They’re willing to pay a few quid to suppress the reviews, but honestly, guys, the truth is out now.
This place is corrupt.
Pros
The countryside.
Cons
Bullying, abuse, corruption, fraud.
Structured work environment
Structured work environment with good training. Good opportunities for development in Electronics, Software, Systems Engineering, Project Management and Computer Systems.
Pathetic management.
This place suffers from very weak management, and so a few team leaders can do what they like. Victimisation and backstabbing is rife, and there’s no real impetus to deal with the psychopaths. There’s a load of hand-wringing from HR but, let’s face it, it’s a load easier to go after the victims than the bullies, isn’t it?
Pros
Most people are good.
Cons
Bullying, victimisation, and backstabbing.
Technically focussed
I was working with a team that was dedicated to bringing in a new, home produced GPS capability. This would untie the UK from complete reliance on USA for military GPS. The team was dedicated to the outcome
Pros
Interesting
Great bunch of workmates
I have really enjoyed my 17 years here it has been a joy to work with all my work mates, we get the tasks done in a professional manner where we are always learning new things about the job.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes there are not enough hours in the day.

The most enjoyable part is our comarardarie
Pros
Job security
Don't stay too long
There is no opportunity to progress through the company to get a raise people quit and re apply when their job come back on the market. There are very good parts and very bad parts to be in some of the bosses are basically corrupt. if the job is in platform systems or naval it will probably be good however CT&S can be run really badly. Some places have no work ethic
Pros
Flexi working