Debra Management reviews

Never work for a charity !!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire2 October 2019
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
A nice, easy paced organisation.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh3 March 2019
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
not worth it
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth21 November 2018
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Never work for charity
Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkshire20 October 2018
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
Nice place to work
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Bransholme Hull17 September 2018
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job
No support
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North england10 September 2018
Love the volunteers we have great customers too. Terrible management no support or appreciation for the work we do. A lot of heavy lifting involved. Very rarely get our unpaid lunch break.
Pros
Cons
No holiday cover...
A good place to get experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Locksbottom, UK2 August 2018
As a volunteer, my typical day would be to test the electrical donations to see if they are fit for sale. Assist shop floor staff with large items that have been sold. The management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the upholstery of armchairs and sofas. And my enjoyable part of the job, was being responsible for the testing of the electricals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Buying your lunch locally
Interesting experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fleet3 April 2018
The typical day involved the sorting of diverse goods donated to the shop - clothes, books, bric-a-brac, furniture, electrical goods, CDs and DVDs, all and sundry.
I learned much about the pleasures of dealing with people and building up a rapport with them.
Managers of the shop itself were very hard working and made all staff welcome. They were a pleasure to work with.
Workplace culture I don't know what you mean!!
The hardest part of the job was moving heavy furniture about, although you learned ways of dealing with this.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers, seeing their enjoyment when they found something which they particularly wanted, and making a good contribution to the charity by way of knowledgeable pricing.
Pros
Good relationships with customers. Enjoyable workload.
Cons
Poor upper level management of permanent staff.
charity shop
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 March 2018
Debra Charity shop was for a great cause.
because of the location of the shop, there was never a lot of customers and there was frequently nothing to do.
the management was lovely and the staff was too.
fun exciting work place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley24 September 2017
Excellent management and staff friendly and excellent work place a real shame I was only there to work voluntary for a short period need to invest in long term staff
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
voluntary jobs only
standard charity shop job
Volunteer Charity Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 August 2017
Got to do a lot of roles and there is a lot of freedom to do what you need for your CV, eg working on tills/window displays etc. Frequently changing management and staff
not good
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumbarton23 July 2017
as far as working there goes it was alright for a while but as it is volunteer work I didn't much like it as I like to get paid at the end of the month like the rest of the population. management was good until new management took over then it was just unbearable
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Horrible place to work
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Merrow6 June 2017
Area manger was rude and a bully, one minute she would be pleasant the next time you spoke her in person she was rude and dismissive. As a. charity they must be one of the worst to work for.
Pros
Cons
Bad senior managers
Depressing
Management (Former Employee) –  South22 January 2017
Would be a good charity to work for if they actually cared more about their staff than just money money money.
I worked really hard throughout my time here, but never really got the credit deserved.
Some of the managers/assistant managers who were employed in the last year were an absolute joke! They sit around doing nothing (paid)while the volunteers (unpaid) do everything!
You will forget what lunch is if you work here, you will have trouble going to the loo freely, oh and don't be ill because you won't be allowed time off!!
You'll be lucky if you have a working heater in the shop and if you do it will be no larger than a toaster!
I could go on and on but I no longer work here and I am now so much happier.
Pros
friendships with volunteers
Cons
Your life becomes Debra
amazing
Customer Assistant (Voluntary) (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire5 January 2017
i did work experience here and it was brilliant the people are lovely and its like one big family!! i learned so much working there and its down to the management
It was a fun place to work and i enjoyed going there
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth19 November 2016
I was mostly operating the till, cash handling and serving customers which i enjoyed.

The management was very friendly and helpful.

My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful.

The most enjoyable bit of the job was operating the till because i got to speak to the customers and help them if they needed it.
Pros
Great team
excellent place
Retail Assistant (Two weeks work placement) (Former Employee) –  Warrington2 September 2016
i only worked here for a short period of 2 weeks for work experience in high school however the time i spent there was excellent. great staff, management and customer service.
Pros
gained retail experience
Cons
unpaid work experience
fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow28 August 2016
I learned so many things, stimming, colaboration with customer, self confidence, working in a desk. the management was so good very nice and clever, the hardest part for was working in desk but sorted it at the end. most enjoying was in my break time because i was doing me small workout.
Pros
free tea/coffee
Cons
long hours depends
It was a good experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkintilloch10 February 2016
It helped me develop my skills and qualities. The most enjoyable part about the job was working with the till and money management.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
N/a
Easygoing and nice people to work with
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ramsgate17 August 2015
Sort items on the shelves around the store and speak to customers who need help.

I learned customer service skills and how to approach or respond to customers.

The management was fine and understandable with the times I couldn't work.

Didn't see the co-workers much as I was only in on a Friday. When I did see them they were easy to speak to.

No part of the job was hard.

Speaking to new customers.
Pros
only working on friday, nice team ethic
Cons
work experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debra. Our community is ready to answer.