Debra

Debra Management reviews

United Kingdom153 reviews
wouldn't work for again. lunch break were not ideal, punished if went for lunch if left in shop alone. area management was for too demanding asked too too many jobs at one time.
I don't have much to say but do your job as best as you can each shop has a different way of doing things I like working there until I find a job that I'm qualified for
Manager was rude, unprofessional and brought her moods to work. If in a bad mood, you were treated as a nobody, and spoken to like dirt. If mistakes were made, whether your fault or not, blamed for it anyway. Not worth it whatsoever
Pros
Hours
Cons
Don't care about their staff
DEBRA is a fun place to work. I love working at DEBRA and the staff and management are very friendly and easy to get along with. Depending on the day the work can be fast paced.
Currently an Assistant Manager. Looking to leave ASAP.
Chances of promotion 0. Appreciation for the work you do 0. The pay doesn’t reflect on the amount of work you have to do.

I’ve never felt so depressed about a job I’ve done. They don’t care about the “little people”.
As long as the upper management get their bonuses, that’s all they care about.
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debra?
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job
Love the volunteers we have great customers too. Terrible management no support or appreciation for the work we do. A lot of heavy lifting involved. Very rarely get our unpaid lunch break.
Pros
Cons
No holiday cover...
As a volunteer, my typical day would be to test the electrical donations to see if they are fit for sale. Assist shop floor staff with large items that have been sold. The management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the upholstery of armchairs and sofas. And my enjoyable part of the job, was being responsible for the testing of the electricals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Buying your lunch locally
The typical day involved the sorting of diverse goods donated to the shop - clothes, books, bric-a-brac, furniture, electrical goods, CDs and DVDs, all and sundry.
I learned much about the pleasures of dealing with people and building up a rapport with them.

Managers of the shop itself were very hard working and made all staff welcome. They were a pleasure to work with.

Workplace culture I don't know what you mean!!

The hardest part of the job was moving heavy furniture about, although you learned ways of dealing with this.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers, seeing their enjoyment when they found something which they particularly wanted, and making a good contribution to the charity by way of knowledgeable pricing.
Pros
Good relationships with customers. Enjoyable workload.
Cons
Poor upper level management of permanent staff.
Debra Charity shop was for a great cause.
because of the location of the shop, there was never a lot of customers and there was frequently nothing to do.

the management was lovely and the staff was too.
Excellent management and staff friendly and excellent work place a real shame I was only there to work voluntary for a short period need to invest in long term staff
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
voluntary jobs only
Got to do a lot of roles and there is a lot of freedom to do what you need for your CV, eg working on tills/window displays etc. Frequently changing management and staff
as far as working there goes it was alright for a while but as it is volunteer work I didn't much like it as I like to get paid at the end of the month like the rest of the population. management was good until new management took over then it was just unbearable
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Area manger was rude and a bully, one minute she would be pleasant the next time you spoke her in person she was rude and dismissive. As a. charity they must be one of the worst to work for.
Pros
Cons
Bad senior managers
Would be a good charity to work for if they actually cared more about their staff than just money money money.
I worked really hard throughout my time here, but never really got the credit deserved.

Some of the managers/assistant managers who were employed in the last year were an absolute joke! They sit around doing nothing (paid)while the volunteers (unpaid) do everything!
You will forget what lunch is if you work here, you will have trouble going to the loo freely, oh and don't be ill because you won't be allowed time off!!

You'll be lucky if you have a working heater in the shop and if you do it will be no larger than a toaster!

I could go on and on but I no longer work here and I am now so much happier.
Pros
friendships with volunteers
Cons
Your life becomes Debra
i did work experience here and it was brilliant the people are lovely and its like one big family!! i learned so much working there and its down to the management
I was mostly operating the till, cash handling and serving customers which i enjoyed.

The management was very friendly and helpful.

My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful.

The most enjoyable bit of the job was operating the till because i got to speak to the customers and help them if they needed it.
Pros
Great team