Debra

Debra Employee Reviews

United Kingdom152 reviews
This is an unpaid volunteer position but with the prospect of learning new skills. Currently in the head office which is being transferred to another location which should be better equipped.
Pros
New skills to learn
Cons
Part time
Manager was rude, unprofessional and brought her moods to work. If in a bad mood, you were treated as a nobody, and spoken to like dirt. If mistakes were made, whether your fault or not, blamed for it anyway. Not worth it whatsoever
Pros
Hours
Cons
Don't care about their staff
No support. Senior team blame culture. No training or induction. Set you up to fail
Waste charity money on non value added meetings. Very expensive head office.
DEBRA is a fun place to work. I love working at DEBRA and the staff and management are very friendly and easy to get along with. Depending on the day the work can be fast paced.
A very supportive workplace from the area manager down. A busy and challenging place at times but very rewarding and lovely team at the two places I have been at.
I felt that I was doing a lot more than you should have been for a volunteering position. But the company were good.
I did enjoy the work, but it was heavy lifting and very manual work. The team were nice and friendly
Currently an Assistant Manager. Looking to leave ASAP.
Chances of promotion 0. Appreciation for the work you do 0. The pay doesn’t reflect on the amount of work you have to do.

I’ve never felt so depressed about a job I’ve done. They don’t care about the “little people”. As long as the upper management get their bonuses, that’s all they care about.
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I would recommend it for anyone who has any free time or needs some work experience. You can either choose to work in the back or on the till and are very positive on helping you if you suffer with anxiety or other mental/physical illness's.
Fun environment to be in get to meet friendly people who come and visit the charity shop to buy furniture and what ever is raised goes to the Debra charity.
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
A good place to be If you want to meet lots of different people, and help a worthy charity in achieving their goals. Also no one day is the same all different and interesting.
A warm, welcoming environment to be in, whilst learning tools that will help you in future jobs; whilst working here I felt comfortable and that I was being managed appropriately
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
I am a volunteer 2 days a week in a charity shop selling donated clothes and other items. I enjoy interacting with customers and being able to assist people. I have learned how to use the till system and have got back into the routine of attending a work place after a long break due to having my daughter.
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Having the temporary job at , DEBRA Charity Shop , have me a boost of confidence. It’s a nice and kind place to work , all the workers are very nice and polite also helpful.
Cons
Not long hours
Debra is a great place to work, really brought me out of my shell and gives you every opportunity to advance when job opportunity's become available, brilliant when it comes to me having a small child and make it really easy for me if for what ever reason I cant make it
Pros
brilliant staff
Cons
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
some days are busy some days are not, fair amount of lifting for example - sofas, desks, beds, tables and so on., good location, also is a good place to work with a bit of banta.
Pros
in town centre
Cons
can be very quiet
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job