Debra Employee Reviews

Never work for a charity !!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire2 October 2019
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
Is a really nice environment, friendly co workers.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop8 September 2019
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I would recommend it for anyone who has any free time or needs some work experience. You can either choose to work in the back or on the till and are very positive on helping you if you suffer with anxiety or other mental/physical illness's.
Falkirk store
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk2 July 2019
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
fun & the people were great
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fareham27 April 2019
A good place to be If you want to meet lots of different people, and help a worthy charity in achieving their goals. Also no one day is the same all different and interesting.
Great workplace for volunteers
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire25 March 2019
A warm, welcoming environment to be in, whilst learning tools that will help you in future jobs; whilst working here I felt comfortable and that I was being managed appropriately
A nice, easy paced organisation.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh3 March 2019
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
Fun workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Street, Somerset4 February 2019
I am a volunteer 2 days a week in a charity shop selling donated clothes and other items. I enjoy interacting with customers and being able to assist people. I have learned how to use the till system and have got back into the routine of attending a work place after a long break due to having my daughter.
not worth it
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth21 November 2018
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Fun working place
Temp (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex9 November 2018
Having the temporary job at , DEBRA Charity Shop , have me a boost of confidence. It’s a nice and kind place to work , all the workers are very nice and polite also helpful.
Cons
Not long hours
Fun Place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire1 November 2018
Debra is a great place to work, really brought me out of my shell and gives you every opportunity to advance when job opportunity's become available, brilliant when it comes to me having a small child and make it really easy for me if for what ever reason I cant make it
Pros
brilliant staff
Never work for charity
Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkshire20 October 2018
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
fun place too work, very friendly staff
wharehouse (Former Employee) –  Crawley28 September 2018
some days are busy some days are not, fair amount of lifting for example - sofas, desks, beds, tables and so on., good location, also is a good place to work with a bit of banta.
Pros
in town centre
Cons
can be very quiet
Nice place to work
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Bransholme Hull17 September 2018
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job
No support
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North england10 September 2018
Love the volunteers we have great customers too. Terrible management no support or appreciation for the work we do. A lot of heavy lifting involved. Very rarely get our unpaid lunch break.
Pros
Cons
No holiday cover...
not a very good work place
Volunteer Retail Assistant/Volunteer Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Perth21 August 2018
wouldn't work for again. lunch break were not ideal, punished if went for lunch if left in shop alone. area management was for too demanding asked too too many jobs at one time.
no prospects
admin (Former Employee) –  South East15 August 2018
I was here as a temp over the summer. The people were welcoming and friendly.

The work was varied and interesting - although it was entry level.

I left to get a permanent job with the security and benefits that provides.
Pros
fairly flexible working hours
Cons
nowhere to go at lunch time, nightmare to get to on public transport
Charity shop manager
P/T Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ayr11 August 2018
No training given on how to price anything. Given keys and told to get on with it. Lack of volunteers was a problem.
Enjoyed meeting customers and trying to make window look good.
Covered other stores and helped out as much as possible. Many volunteers there because her majesty makes them.
Raising money for a great cause but needs a bit more attention to detail
Pros
Your shop is your own and your decisions are yours
Cons
No heating, no training, no help, no security
A good place to get experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Locksbottom, UK2 August 2018
As a volunteer, my typical day would be to test the electrical donations to see if they are fit for sale. Assist shop floor staff with large items that have been sold. The management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the upholstery of armchairs and sofas. And my enjoyable part of the job, was being responsible for the testing of the electricals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Buying your lunch locally
Was a fun work experience
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenston28 July 2018
I had an amazing time there the people were lovely and easy to work with and the public were nice to the staff and the hours I got were good and I would happily do it again
Pros
Got a discount on items
Cons
Heavy lifting
Productive environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Widnes22 July 2018
For work experience/volunteering it was a good start to my future career choices and has helped me view the working world much differently, in a good way.
Pros
Charity work
Cons
Volunteering doesn't pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debra. Our community is ready to answer.