Debenhams Employee Reviews

Great staff
Work Experience in Buying Dept (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
I had a great weeks work experience in the buying dept. I took part in team meetings, presentations to senior staff and gave my opinions on products that were being reviewed
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 December 2017
Shifts constantly changing, e.g. making people work night shifts (12 hours with 2 hour breaks) and overtime during regular day shifts without asking! Feel like it just isn't flexible at all, have little energy and time to do much else.
Job itself is tedious (which I suppose is expected with retail). I have been working here nearly a month and still haven't received my till number (required to operate tills) and when I asked about it, was just told to wait. A couple of other floor workers say it took about two months to receive theirs. So, for the time being, I have just been doing recovery (I.e. folding and tidying clothes, making sure they are on correct hangers, correct size order etc) and fitting rooms.
Pros
nice colleagues, managers aren't strict
Cons
Shift coordination, annoying customers
Unappreciative
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon2 December 2017
Was a good job at first but they would only give me Sunday shifts. I was put in charge of the sports department with the understanding it would be a permanent position but after 3 months they employed someone new and I went back to only working Sundays.
Pros
Cons
Wouldn't give any extra days or hours
debenhams
DUTY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire1 December 2017
A typical day would be motivating the team to achieve KPI targets set for the week walking the division and making commercial ideas to benefit the business.
I have been with Debenhams for over 8 years I have enjoyed myself from day one there been a lot of learns personal for me starting as a Christmas temp back in 2007 and I have gained so much experience and knowledge.
the most enjoyable part of my job is the people getting to know them over the years playing to there strengths.
I have leant my own management style and how to be impactful to get the best out of my team.
Pros
staff discount
Little support but good company perks
Counter Manager, SPB (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre30 November 2017
I went from 2 days to a 5 day manager role, before they employed me I did make them aware that I hadn't done any managerial work beforehand and they still hired me, however I found I did not receive enough support on my counter. The jump from 2 days to 5 was okay but the support system wasn't there for me, the same with the managers for the individual brands that I managed, I didn't hear from them for a long period of time even after sending multiple emails.
Apart from the weak support system in the store, the sub-company that I worked for in Debenhams had really good perks to the job. I received a salary which is quite a bit above the minimum wage, I also received commission for products that I sold aswell.
Management is in shambles
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street30 November 2017
Temporary Christmas greeting staff are treated appallingly. We are told to stand in one place for our entire shift (bar any legal breaks). We were unable to help customers as we were told never to leave our posts.
This is contradictory of the role: to greet and help people. We were punished if we had to assist blind or disabled customers to tills as we were not greeting other customers. However, in the application process, we were told that helping Blind/disabled customers was a top priority and, as welcomers, we had to assist them around the store.

Management is in shambles, communication was contradictory with each manager. Also we were promised staff discounts during the interview process but this quickly disappeared when offered jobs.

Other floor staff were the only benefit.
Pros
Floor staff were lovely
Cons
Long hours, contradictory management requests, unreasonable working conditions.
Mug
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands30 November 2017
I would never do work experience for this company ever again!! All I ever did was click and collect how fun 😴they would make out like I was getting a job i had an interview but never heard back even tho I coped working for them for 8 weeks. They would always send me to laundry but then the manager complained about me that I'm always hiding at the back off laundry and I never talked to the staff. Maybe if people was doing there jobs I wouldn't have to be working on laundry... the worst 8 weeks off my life actually 9 weeks.
Cons
30 hours
Terrible
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross22 November 2017
I walked out of here today as management were trying to get me to do shifts that weren't agreed when they gave me the job. I have a child at school. I was really upset about this. Some of the staff are terrible especially older management in menswear and the guy in suits. I would not advise anyone to work here.
Lovely Team
Sales Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth22 November 2017
I worked on the Lingerie Department, and the team I worked with were lovely people, and I can honestly say that they are part of the reason I have not left Debenhams.
Pros
Good Staff Discount
Cons
Lots of Focus on Debenhams Cards
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent20 November 2017
it was a very fun place to work but some times changeling at times. the hardest part was when the shoes or handbags needed to be put in different places so you had to move everything around to make thestorelook better.
Pros
friendly staff
Excellent Staff - Average Management System
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire18 November 2017
I enjoyed every day I worked here apart from the Winter months - the support network was mainly verbal and less about support from the front line when doing daily tasks. Would recommend anyone to take a position here, however some branches may or may not have the best management team.
Pros
Great team, friendly regular customer
Cons
No lunch, no hot drinks, strict ruling with no explanation
Busy and fast pace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire18 November 2017
Although I loved my co-workers at Debenhams, I found the environment too stressful to work in and some of the staff quite hostile. The pay was very low and I had to find something more suitable for my lifestyle.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Bad Management
Waitress/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester16 November 2017
This review could be outdated as I haven't worked here for a few years, however my time at Debenhams was satisfactory. The people I worked with were the most amazing people and we bonded over the bad management! Staff were shouted at by managers for reasons that were down to bad management! It took leaving to realise how mistreated we were.
Not amazing
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon15 November 2017
Was fairly okay, however, on dead shifts and sometimes even quite lively shifts. Was asked to do fairly mundane tasks, and then asked to re-do and re-check that the mundane tasks had been done.
great compang
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wigan Central15 November 2017
job roles varied each day. you got to meet different people and help them with there purchases. I learned different skills such as stock taking and till training.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
none really
Great
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire15 November 2017
My day at work would be serving different customers and cleaning and selling watches and jewellery, even thought sometimes I would be put on different departments to help out other customers and serve them.
workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear10 November 2017
i enjoyed the work i completed in lingerie and worked as part of a team i learnt a lot about the retail trade and built confidence when working with customers. The management were understanding and provided relevant training in the job and culture and ethos was good.
Pros
discount
Cons
travel and long hours
productive
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire9 November 2017
Low wages,Nice people the problem is with Retail is that they dont pay as much money that is required.Good job in loss prevention on CCTV.There are a lot better companies to work for
Good for Part-time work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
Working here is like any other retail store. A good place to get part time work. The job was never too demanding and management were very professional.
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands9 November 2017
Debenhams is a good company to work for. The staff at very friendly and easy to get along with and communicate with. The mangers are understanding and helpful
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Early hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.