Debenhams Employee Reviews

Great Teamwork
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 February 2018
Managers are very helpful. The salary is too low! They don't give you much teaching . It is more on you to learn. Good place to work though. Good teamwork.
positive work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy14 February 2018
fair and flexible work place easy to know your availability, although the pay isn't great for a large money making department store, overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
6 week holiday
Cons
discrimination on age and pay
Nice people, shame about the management
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire12 February 2018
Debenhams was a steady pace environment where i worked with lovely people and got to be face to face with the public in a positive way, it's just a shame each store has around 7 managers and as they say 'too many cooks'. Most of the time we got told contradiciting info and held responsible for management mess ups or slow customer days, and some seasoned managers were even clueless about how the actual store ran.
The sales advisers though were all the best and if one thing debenhams does well is that it employs similar people so (most of) everyone gets on really well.
The company itself though doesn't seem to know which way is up and the practices became confusing and convoluted and quite frankly tedious as they got rid of doing actual work and tasks so every shift felt like 6+ hrs of sticking my thumb somewhere.
Overall i liked the job and place but more so my colleagues.
Pros
Nice staff and nice customers
Cons
Confused management style that not even managers seem to know
Sales Advisor
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe10 February 2018
I was fortunate to secure a temporary Christmas position as a sales advisor on the Ground floor and then was kept on for one month on a temporary basis as a sales advisor on the First floor.
Awful management, but great colleagues
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2018
Above says a lot. Managers are extremely rude. The benefits are none existent. The company is going down the drain. Really just don't bother unless desperate for work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management and Debenhams Cards
Fun atmosphere
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire7 February 2018
Friendly atmosphere. Push Debenhams card a lot. All day. You can progress there though. Its generally a nice place to work but just be prepared to take the constant Debenhams card talk.
Pros
People who work there and nice customers
Cons
Shifts
Aweful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silverburn, Glasgow6 February 2018
Horrible company to work for. You need to take a credit card/gift card out to get you’re discount as well. Management sucks. Departments don’t work as a team. Store management are too busy trying to roll out new incentives instead of actually focusing on what staff REALLY want. The managing staff are too disconnected from the sales advisors. Salary is rubbish and (in the silverburn store) there is no overtime available anymore due to budget cuts because management keep overspending every year and make the same mistakes all the time. Management understaff each department all the time to try and save money but still expect you to do the work of 10 people with only 3 in. Overall, the people you work with will become your best friends BUT it doesn’t take away from how draining and degrading it is to work in the store.
Pros
Staff become best friends
Cons
Everything above and more
Good
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester6 February 2018
I enjoyed working here as a menswear sales advisor. Felt like I was always on the go so the time went quite quickly and I met lots of new people. The store since I worked there has been done out.
Very good here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bromley6 February 2018
I think its a great place to work at, my colleagues were very helpful if I didn't know the answer to a customer's question, they were always on hand to help. The management were very helpful too, I was always on time to work and the work i had to was mainly very easy.

The most difficult part of the job was having a few rude customers to deal with.

The best part of my job was that i got on with everyone i had great relationships with customers and colleagues.
Pros
Short Hours, Nice customers
Cons
Poor pay, only minimum wage
Awful company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 February 2018
Every day consists of "we need X number of accounts and emails today." All the company cares about is conning customers into getting their rip off master card.

The amount of complaints we get from customers saying we're too pushy is ignored. If a customer is reading this, sorry we have a metaphorical gun to our heads forcing us to do so, if not we lose our jobs!

If there's ever an issue that's not your fault, Managers will NEVER take your side, they will belittle you in front of customers.

General morale is very low with staff leaving due to stress and depression! The environment in store is either too hot or too cold depending on the time of year. Manager will say air conditioning isn't working (but will work in their offices) just to save the company money.
Pros
Adds to cv
Cons
Hours are changed without notice, understaffed, minimum wage, staff card is a credit card, rude management, awful environment.
Good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street5 February 2018
Fun environment, working within the retail sector helped me in gaining confidence and widened my knowledge on products and approaching customers from different parts of the world. Really enjoyed working on Oxford street!
Pros
long lunches, friendly staff
Cons
tiring
Empty promises
senior sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter5 February 2018
Overall i enjoyed working for this company and the people i worked with. I was on a specialist department which made the job alot more enjoyable as you were doing things rather than just being stood on a till.
On a negative note i found the management very clicky. Sometimes they would speak to you and other times they wouldn't bother and would just walk past you.
Also there was alot of empty promises. You would get told that they would help you get higher in the company and become a senior sales/supervisor but after being told this for 2 years nothing ever came of it eventhough you were doing that job role anyway and not getting the pay for it.

Store manager is also very rude and makes you feel so small and like you cannot do your job properly.
Pros
Nice environment and staff
Cons
Management could be better
Good environment.
Fixed Temp Contract (Former Employee) –  Clapton Junction5 February 2018
Good management, fun team and nice location. My typical day kept me active and interactive and social, the team was well organised and they always had a plan.
Pros
discounts
Cons
the distance.
Changing
Visual Manager (Current Employee) –  East Anglia5 February 2018
I have worked for Debenhams for over 2 years. 2 years ago when I joined it was very behind the times, out of date technology and in a bit of a time warp! Simple processes didn't seem to exist and over completed ways of working.
The company is now going through a period of change which hopefully in the long term will be successful. The new CEO is introducing new processes which finally make sense, however there are still challenges mainly with staffing levels and pressures on workload which are increasing.
Pros
Love my job as Visual Manager, always busy!
Cons
Unsettling time, job security
Bad for students
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset5 February 2018
As a student working here, I struggled to balance this job with my school. I also found that the management were unorganised in organising overtime and also in letting me change my day to work. However, a positive is that the pay was good, I was paid £2 over minimum wage at 16 and there is 25% off discount when you work there for 3 months
Pros
Good pay, good amount of discount
Cons
Unorganised, long hours when balanced with scholl
sales assistant
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands4 February 2018
enjoyed working as a xmas temp. would recommend it to family and friends.

A typical day would be on the till, stocking the shelves, assisting customers with their queries.
Pros
nice colleagues
exerllent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-On-Tees4 February 2018
It was part of my study programme at college I thirty enjoyed my week at Debenhams there was so lovely and helpful.

I done duties like stock take and putting stock onto the shelves.
Fine workplace but poor management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland3 February 2018
Fine place to work, great colleagues and pleasant environment. Discount is available but with credit card. Sick pay and holidays are very fair. However, some of the management team are unpleasant towards their staff, which is a shame as otherwise Debenhams is a positive place to work.
Pros
fair breaks, store discount, Apple discount, cinema dicount
Cons
some managers
Horrible.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham3 February 2018
Management are the most horrible, unorganised women you will ever meet with the exception of the store manager. They have no care for your wellbeing or needs, they treat you like robots and you get nothing in return - no days off, abysmally organised. Incredibly b!tchy atmosphere. The only plus is the 6.33/hr salary as a 16 year old which is the only reason i/m keeping this job as it is only 4 hours a week.
Pros
Money honey
Cons
everything else
good overrall
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands1 February 2018
good but not perfect was rather all over the place over Christmas I would take a job there again though under the right circumstances and when the time is right

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.