Debenhams Employee Reviews

good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex19 October 2017
everyone was lovely sa=taff customers, I worked in the mens department and it was a lot of fun. At first it was pretty dull because I was learning the basics and every sarurday all day I would fold jeans.
Pros
staff
Cons
money hours
friendly and lively
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Oldham18 October 2017
i worked at Debenhams whilst i was studying at college, my hours were felxiable as they worked around my college hours. the staff in the workplace were very friendly.
Horrible Workplace
Loss Prevention Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames17 October 2017
Horrible atmosphere, management never help you progress or give you the training you need or ask for. When things don't go their way they blame you for everything. The worst job I have ever had. Give you overtime but do not pay you for your overtime and management backstab everyone. They bully you and when you stand up for yourself then they will get shot of you at anyway they can
Pros
Good Credit card discount card
Cons
Credit card discount card
Very interactive job role
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire15 October 2017
This was a very interactive job role, i was engaging with customers throughout the whole day, while remaining in a positive and approachable manner, so customers feel like asking for any assistance was not an issue.
Pros
Never bored or standing around
Cons
Pay could have been better
boring
Sales Adviser in the Lingerie (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire15 October 2017
very boring work just scanning clothes. also had to perform bra fits which was uncomfortable at first. decent company but very boring and repetitive work
Good company to work for
Sales Advisor jewelry (Former Employee) –  Scarborough15 October 2017
Dealing with deliveries, stock control and customer care.
Customer care level 1 training achieved.
Very good area manager for each section.
Friendly workplace and supportive.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to meet customers needs.
Selling a nice piece of jewellery.
Pros
Good discounts, 20% off everything in store.
Cons
Not meeting customers needs.
Lots of opportunities in different departments
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester14 October 2017
Plenty of opportunities to work in different departments. Good training at the start of the job. Work-life balance can be as good or as bad as you would like it to be.
Good teamwork
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire14 October 2017
Loved working with team and customers. Have worked on shopfloor and back of house. Good variety of tasks and always opportunities to learn new things.
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Perfumes) (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire13 October 2017
very good work place to learn working with the public and understanding sales. New challenges. staff were lovely to work with. Learning different types of perfume
ok
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth13 October 2017
The boss' are rude and look down on you, they have favorites and unless you are one you won't progress. They dont offer you many incentives either. They are very clicky
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not alot of room to grow
Working at Debenham's is a special and fun experience
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield12 October 2017
I found that working for Debenham's was satisfactory and that they were a good company to work for- as they were only more strict when you were late for work or if you said or did something inappropriate, which,thankfully- I never did while working for them.They understood and tried to work with you as a person and to tailor towards your needs- so that you and the company were both satisfied with what they had come up with.

A typical day at work,involved me making sure that the shop floor was clean and tidy and presentable for all of the customers that were going to be walking through the doors of the shop at any time of the day.As well, as cleaning and tidying the shop floor - I had to make sure that the changing rooms were clean as well:so that customers were happy with how the changing rooms looked,so that any parent ,grandparent or customer would feel happy with they way it looked and dressing and changing their child in one of the cubicles.

The management was good and competent and as well as letting employers know what they needed to do and how they needed to do it, as well as helping them understand what they needed to do and answering any or all queries or questions from customers and staff.

The basis of the shop and how as a business, worked and functioned well and has where all of the staff are treated equal and as an important part of keeping the shop running and up to scratch.

The hardest part of the job was making sure that everywhere on the shop floor was as clean as possible and that it didn't get too messy, after some of the children had a rampage
  more... around one end of the sales area.Keeping up with the inflow of customers could be challenging and at times it can get on top of you if you don't keep organised and on top of things.

In- my own personal opinion-the most enjoyable bit of the job was knowing that I had helped people and that I had played an important part in the upkeep and general running of the shop every day, as well as answering customer's questions.
Pros
Working with a brilliant team and knowing that I had helped.
Cons
Working every day of the week and not having the weekend off.
Hard work but rewarding
Senior Sales Adviser (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 October 2017
This is a good place to learn about hard work and develop your career. Long hours are expected and the pay isn't the best but the experience gained is very beneficial.
Enjoyment
Christmas Temporary Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  lincoln10 October 2017
I really enjoyed my short time working for Debenhams, I learned some new skills and met some lovely friendly people. I wish I had been kept on after the temporary contract ended as I enjoyed the job.
Great First Job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London9 October 2017
Having only worked in Debenhams for 2 months as a Christmas Temp, my experience is somewhat limited but enjoyable and worthwhile none the less. The other staff members were very kind and welcoming but it occasionally got dull standing around when there was nothing to do (it was quite often quiet).
Pros
Frequently given shifts
Cons
sometimes boring
Typical retail job
Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Scotland9 October 2017
Pay is poor
Management are self promoting mafia
Square peg in round hole approach to getting the task done at any cost, regardless of training, ability or time.
Pros
Very procedure orientaited
Cons
Management, pay, understaffed
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent9 October 2017
I worked here for a time and the Management was organised and were only out for themselves. they would make shifts difficult and make you do work that should have been taken care of by others, such as cleaning mold (without protective gear).
Pros
none.
Cons
untrained, unorganised Management.
good hours
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea8 October 2017
Good hours; Mix of morning and afternoon shifts; Overtime rarely available; Worked with a good group of colleagues; Worked individually and as a team whilst in position.
Pros
good shifts
Cons
rarely any overtime
fun place to work
Catering Assistant, cashiering, Waiting (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street6 October 2017
learn new skills , learn sandwhich making, learnt cake decoration, learn how to use the till, waitressing.the hardest part was the till because im not confident with maths, but it still had good points to the job, because you learnt different different skills.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
weekend working
good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 October 2017
Working in a friendly relaxed atmosphere helping to deliver good customer service, keeping shop floor tidy and stocked, till operations, helping colleagues with general duties. All management and colleagues very approachable over all a good place to work.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
hours (20) spread over 7 days
Loved my week there
Debenhams Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne5 October 2017
I did my work experience there on July 18th- July 22nd 2016 and it was the best week I'd ever had. I learned how to communicate more and to ask for help if I needed it. The hardest part was how hot it got, as it was the summer. The enjoyable part of my work experience was, how I got to use a scanner to scan the barcodes if the clothes were on sale or not. Another reason why I enjoyed this work experience is because this has given be confidence to work n the future. I would love to work there.
Pros
Everything was great.
Cons
Less time of break as I only had 30 minutes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.