Debenhams Employee Reviews

Found 1,301 reviews matching the search
Busy around the holidays
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salisbury18 August 2017
Being a Christmas temp was difficult and challenging at times due to me not having any experience. Long hours of standing, but helping customers was worth it.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours of standing
Fun
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Lancaster17 August 2017
I enjoyed working for debenhams very nice company and friendly staff always nice and suport each other if you strugle. Staff always made u feel welcone when a new worker started work there.
Pros
Fun
Debenhams Review
Sales Adviser (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester17 August 2017
My main role as a customer service adviser is to provide customer service at its best, I have gained confidence and customer service skills along with gaining experience of the working environment. My manager has guided me and supported me through my training period. I enjoy working as part of a team and supporting each other.
Sometimes it is very stressful and busy but being part of a team helps as we support each other.
Pros
Discounts, Social events
Cons
Late hours
Boring and dirty employees' common spaces
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire17 August 2017
I was not working for Debenhams, but for a brand sold in the store, so I can't really rate the management. But otherwise, not a lot of customers, so slow days every day. On top of that, the lockers room is dirty, the staff restaurant is only a room where you can eat what you brought (no self service), tables must not be cleaned often. But the worst are the microwaves that must never have been cleaned and the toilets are simply disgusting !!!! Lots of boxes are out of service and the others are clogged up !
Cons
Dirty, boring and long days
Under staffed
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London15 August 2017
When I first joined Debenhams i was given the opportunity to develop my career within the company. Sadly this was short lived as we had a new department join us who was supportive of female colleagues developing. Although I had made a written complaint, I never received an official outcome.
Fast-paced, fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent15 August 2017
I learnt a lot of skills working in retail, along with how to manage time, money and converse with a wide range of customers.

All colleagues were friendly, and willing to help should there be any problems day-to-day.
intersting and fun
Buyers Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 August 2017
This was an interesting and fun experience, the other workers created a happy and light hearted atmosphere but were also able to show me what to do and what they do on a day to day basis.
Productive Workplace
Stock Movement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast / Aldergrove Airport14 August 2017
Always busy which is good as the day goes in quick. Staff where very nice. I worked in the warehouse so in the winter was quite cold overall not a bad place to work.
Enjoy the company of the the collegues i work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leith, City of Edinburgh14 August 2017
I am hard working person always willing to learn new things and good at working on my own and within a team i am a sales assisant but also a bra fitter so i am always one to one with customers so i have good communication skills and good at listening to people
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Good hours
Christmas Temp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london14 August 2017
i was in the click and collect department dealing with the exchange of packages to customers from the warehouses. its a hard job as you have to stand up all the time

Want to know more about Debenhams?

Ask a question
Fun and competitve
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Banbury14 August 2017
Great place to work, very customer focussed and competitive. Lots to learn with development opportunities.

Sales driven with daily targets.

Well managed.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Weekend working
okay
Food Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hanley, Staffordshire12 August 2017
my time working with Debenhams was not the best experience I've had it was always busy and good pay as a positive however staff were quite hard to get along with and I was stuck on the same station for a long time even though id asked multiple times to be trained on other stations to improve my skills in the workplace and it fell on deaf ears and was I only starting to be trained a month at most before my contract ended with them, Debenhams restaurant were also very understaffed witch made it incredibly hard to do large tasks as there was minimum help.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Very under staffed and Difficult staff
Traveling and the company
Food sales manager (Current Employee) –  London10 August 2017
It was an experience in big retailer , but didn't work
Pros
Discount
Cons
No meal on duty, lack of respect understanding of hospitality, they are different than others I worked with
Retail
Sales adviser (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex9 August 2017
Some areas are good, people are awesome and hours are flexible but too much is expected from untrained staff. As with any retail job you have to do with lots of rubbish from the public so be ready for that
Good Retailer
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster8 August 2017
Only worked here part time and sometimes I felt I wasn't recgonised as much as the permanent staff that were in my store. But overall a good culture but sometimes very long shifts.
fun workplace
stock movement (Current Employee) –  newport8 August 2017
Debenhams is a professional company where the pace is fast and you are required to keep up. The managers are all approachable and the hours are good.
Pros
nice managers
Cons
no free tea or coffee
Great place to work, rubbish management.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  North West7 August 2017
Debenhams is a great place to work if you can sell credit. The management are only interested in you and your development in the company if you sell people the 'Debenhams card.' If you need training on anything they are quick to offer it but don't follow it through. The management can't sort holiday forms and always get them wrong. The people you work with are really friendly and helpful they make the job a little bit easier to cope with.
My manager was extremely rude, unapproachable and unprofessional. She had her favorites and if you weren't one of them (which she made very clear) she wouldn't sort anything for you including not giving you the holidays you are entitled to.
Pros
short shifts, lovely colleagues
Cons
selling credit
Great company
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex2 August 2017
Supervising a team of 24 staff
Supervising daily running of 10 counters
Setting daily targets for Cosmetics/ Fragrance counters
Briefing staff on 'Sales Plan'
Payroll procedures
Cash handling/ Customer accounts
Merchandising
In store staff training
Banking procedures
Recruitment of new staff
Monthly paperwork
Staff rota / holidays
Pros
Great staff incentives
Cons
Long working hours due to prep of sales etc / high levels of in store theft
Depends how well you get on with the store manager
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea1 August 2017
I feel every store is different. However good place to learn the retail career and advance up the career ladder. Debenhams are not interested in experience and skill level, they always want someone cheaper.
Pros
opportunities to learn and try different roles.
Cons
no fixed hours just when they want you. No consideration for family life.
Avoid! If you want to be taken advantage of go for it
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire1 August 2017
As much as debenhams is a prestigious company it is the worst company to work for. Rubbish pay, management always treat staff like dirt. They care about nothing but opening credit account. If credit cards are not opened you will see the worst of management. All they care about is their bonuses not their staff.
There is no appreciation for any work you complete their at all. They don't care. You can create gold dust for them and they still wouldn't care! All they care about is their targets. They sit in their office all day doing nothing whilst all the staff have to listen to them shout at them.
They try cap your pay. Won't pay you sometimes absolutely ridiculous.
Even forced to opening a credit card if you want staff discount.

Seriously disgraceful
Cons
Bad management moral, increased pressure, long hours, no appreciation, credit cards

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.

Debenhams Reviews by Location