Debenhams Employee Reviews

Great
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff18 June 2018
I enjoyed being part of a team. this was really important over the Christmas period and it made me feel like part of the large family at Debenhams. I would love to work there again.
fun place to work in
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London13 June 2018
a lot of responsibility on you with your job title
i learnt about peoples individual needs
met new people everyday
salary was good and my team was friendly
Pros
nice uniform and good pay
Productive and understanding palce
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford13 June 2018
A business that values students who work and understands and are very considerate of the life outside of work. Working 1 day a week still makes you feel a part of the team and valued.
Awfull
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire12 June 2018
Whilst working here it was constantly understaffed , rotas changed without being told or put in for overtime without being asked ! Usually put on one area all day i.e potwash , on your own aswell as expected to run food clear tables etc . Breaks un paid and dont get any break unless you work 6 hours or more which is a joke . Only allowed tap water and air con was barely working even in summer . Managers always seem to be in meetings or to busy to be on the unit and dont seem to have time for the staff . Have to wait atleast 4 months before you recieve your discount card . Also ran very unprofessionally
Pros
Extra discount on sale items
Cons
Poor management hard work under staffed
Temporary Cafe Assistant
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh6 June 2018
How you would imagine Debenhams restaurant to be. A usual day would include washing dishes, clean tables, barista work and restocking the cupboards...
Pros
co
A good place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley6 June 2018
Everyone was really friendly and sociable. I worked with a really good group of people and they were a very understanding employer. The managers were very kind and I got on with the people I worked with.
Not enough support
SALES ADVISER (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 June 2018
The company as a whole is wonderful to work for due to the fact that your team become a family. We work well together to provide the best customer service experience.
Good staff culture, retail stress taking its toll
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth5 June 2018
The stresses of retail within the current economic climate has had an impact on the working environment.
Working within the teams is fun and there is a sociable aspect of working in a large store and a lot of fun can be had with customer facing roles at times as well as socializing during breaks and outside of work. Most management do a fantastic job and you get support most of the time from sales managers.
Cuts to budgets has really reflected head count and so staff motivation and happiness does seem low.

Wages for more responsible roles is next to nothing and the wage gap is getting smaller.
Pros
Staff discount on items and access to other employee benefits
Cons
No extra pay for bank holidays or festive period
Worst job ive ever had
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  SUTTON5 June 2018
'MANAGEMENT' is ridiculous. Accuses you of not coming in for shifts when your rota has been changed last minute and have no mentioned anything to you ONCE. (Happened at least 4 times now) having a meeting about it. ONLY ONE week of rotas and if you mention anything you ill be told 'I dont sort the rotas around your life' Hardest part? THE BOREDOM.
Pros
Cons
Hours, unpaid break, ridiculous quiet, HORRIBLE RUDE management
Its a good place to work
Food senior sales adviser (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk5 June 2018
its a really fun and friendly place to work. however i worked in the cafe and it can to be very very hard work. its gets very busy. also some very long hours.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Productive and interesting work place
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Chester5 June 2018
I enjoyed working here because it allowed me to communicate with customers on a personal level, helping them with personal needs. The working environment was good because all staff were friendly and helpful.
Never Work Here
Food Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  St David's3 June 2018
Horrible atmosphere and always understaffed. Most people are leaving because of poor job satisfaction. I left to work in retail elsewhere and am so much happier now. Joke of a place to work.
dynamic workplace
Senior Merchandiser (Home department) (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 June 2018
dynamic and fast paced environment to work in however staffing issues and work life balance are areas that need improvement in current condition. young talent progression also needs great improvement
people are nice
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire2 June 2018
the people were nice to work with, the company is good to work with, they made me feel comfortable straight away and taught me everything i needed to know
Pros
the wage
Cons
hours
Friendly environment but can be very boring.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire1 June 2018
A good place to work in terms of the staff, all staff are friendly and reliable. However, the job itself is lacklustre and I find myself in need of a new one.
Job role
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westfield30 May 2018
Working at Debenhams was a very pleasant and enjoyable experience for me because the duties and responsibilities were very straightforward and training was always provided. Something that I particularly liked was that the management was very flexible with working hours and always tried to accommodate my needs around my work.
Pros
Great employee benefits
Cons
not much progression
Lovely place to work
Food Sales Advisor (Permanent) (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 May 2018
I worked in the restaurant and the staff become like a second family. lovely and friendly place to work. would recommend as a place to work. Must be a quick learner as it is a busy place.
Fine
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool25 May 2018
The company is fine to work for by the rate is minimum wage and there are no benefits. Most sale assistant roles are part time and they will spread them out over many days so they don't have to give you any breaks therefore it'll seen like you're there all the time.
nice place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Worcester24 May 2018
In my time at Debenhams I have felt that its a good place to work, not without its faults but what place isn't.
A typical day at work for front of house staff consists of serving customers and keeping the shop floor tidy also keeping track of stock and dealing with returns.
At Debenhams I have learned Great customer service skills and people skills.
management are generally good with few exceptions but over all acceptable.
Hardest part of the job would be dealing with members of the public who are upset or even angry.
however I do enjoy working in the friendly environment that they have built there
Pros
staff discount
Cons
less than ideal wage
Productive and fun place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crawley23 May 2018
It’s very nice company ,i m sad because i must to live my job,always i have something to do ,We work in team ,we are a great team there!! I love to work with debenhams!!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.