Debenhams Pay & Benefits reviews

Boring
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster19 May 2018
This company is not great to work for. The pay is basic wage and the work is unrewarding. I would not recommend working here, unless you are a student looking for part-time stuff.
good job
merchandising (Former Employee) –  cumbria24 April 2018
was a good job always something different however long hours especially over the festive period , had good bonds between staff and overall a good job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
long days
Very good place to get experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  County Down5 April 2018
I started working in Debenhams at the end of October 2017 in the travel money department. I got trained for two weeks for it. My ob right now is sales advisor as well as working in travel money department. I also am in different departments such as: menswear, click & collect and home.
I live in Dundalk and I would like to change my job due to the transport. It is really hard for me to travel 25 minutes 6 times a week. It would be more convenient for me to find a good job in Dundalk.
Pros
Very good people
Cons
Low wages
Avoid at all costs, wouldn't return if they paid me double!
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire4 April 2018
Worst management team I have ever come across in over 5 years of retail. Derogatory, belittling and vile towards staff members. No support or someone to talk to when feeling down as the whole management team are one big clique. If one member of management decided they did not like you, then you had screwed it with the rest of them. Even had one manager say on my first shift she didn't like me as 'there was just something about me'. Dreaded going to work every single shift and would count down the hours until breaks or home time. No praise given when you hit your targets or opened a credit card account for them, but were quick to name and shame if you struggled to do so. Raised a grievance with the store manager over one particular employee which was completely ignored. Can't quite believe they've got away with their behaviour for so long and that this hasn't been picked up on by regional managers. Overall an absolute shambles of a work place, leaving staff feeling bullied and afraid to speak up when they are not happy.
Pros
Paid extra 30 minute break and 25% discount staff card
Cons
Everything except the discount
Good old fashioned Department store
Sales person for Montgomery Interior Fabrics (Former Employee) –  Southampton29 March 2018
It was a long time ago when i worked here, so i cannot say much about the work ethos or staff. Christmas and Bank Holidays you aren't normally allowed time off.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Lack of communication and no staff morale.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth19 March 2018
A typical day is much the same, chasing people down to find out information that should be communicated from management. Too many tasks and things to do but not enough staff coverage as budgets have been cut , but the work load seems to just get more.
The one thing that I have learnt is how to be better at communicating and getting the things I need, off my own back.
Management very unhelpful and certainly not encouraging, just take take and take and its never enough. They do not appreciate how hard things can be to achieve, in terms of performance targets, yet wont try it themselves. The salary is absolutely rubbish, everyone on different pay, for same roles. People who been there for years , still on minimum wage, no recognition for length of service or appreciation. The hardest part of my job is being there and having to plaster on a smile, the easiest is walking out at the end of shift.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
inadequate pay
Friendly Environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall15 March 2018
I worked at Debenhams over the Christmas period. The staff are incredibly friendly and patient, and it is a lively interesting environment, especially in the Christmas period.
Respected organisation to work for and offers good progression
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool12 March 2018
Debenhams is a well respected organisation to work for and is great if you are planning for a progressive career in the retail sector. A typical work day is often busy however the work itself is challenging yet enjoyable. Since starting at Debenhams I have grown as a person and developed many skills including my customer service skills, responsibility and my initiative in tough situations.
Pros
Good break opportunities, pleasant colleagues
Cons
Very few benefits for employees, poor pay
Fine
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth25 February 2018
It was okay, the hours were okay, however the breaks were way too short. And staff were a little too talkative when they should've of been working not chatting
Happy place to work
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton Town Centre24 February 2018
Staff are all friendly, like one big happy family. Always feel happy with the people i work with. Enjoy my job very much. Always have something to do.
Pros
free gifts
Great Teamwork
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 February 2018
Managers are very helpful. The salary is too low! They don't give you much teaching . It is more on you to learn. Good place to work though. Good teamwork.
positive work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy14 February 2018
fair and flexible work place easy to know your availability, although the pay isn't great for a large money making department store, overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
6 week holiday
Cons
discrimination on age and pay
Awful management, but great colleagues
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2018
Above says a lot. Managers are extremely rude. The benefits are none existent. The company is going down the drain. Really just don't bother unless desperate for work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management and Debenhams Cards
Aweful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silverburn, Glasgow6 February 2018
Horrible company to work for. You need to take a credit card/gift card out to get you’re discount as well. Management sucks. Departments don’t work as a team. Store management are too busy trying to roll out new incentives instead of actually focusing on what staff REALLY want. The managing staff are too disconnected from the sales advisors. Salary is rubbish and (in the silverburn store) there is no overtime available anymore due to budget cuts because management keep overspending every year and make the same mistakes all the time. Management understaff each department all the time to try and save money but still expect you to do the work of 10 people with only 3 in. Overall, the people you work with will become your best friends BUT it doesn’t take away from how draining and degrading it is to work in the store.
Pros
Staff become best friends
Cons
Everything above and more
Bad for students
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset5 February 2018
As a student working here, I struggled to balance this job with my school. I also found that the management were unorganised in organising overtime and also in letting me change my day to work. However, a positive is that the pay was good, I was paid £2 over minimum wage at 16 and there is 25% off discount when you work there for 3 months
Pros
Good pay, good amount of discount
Cons
Unorganised, long hours when balanced with scholl
Fine workplace but poor management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland3 February 2018
Fine place to work, great colleagues and pleasant environment. Discount is available but with credit card. Sick pay and holidays are very fair. However, some of the management team are unpleasant towards their staff, which is a shame as otherwise Debenhams is a positive place to work.
Pros
fair breaks, store discount, Apple discount, cinema dicount
Cons
some managers
Horrible.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham3 February 2018
Management are the most horrible, unorganised women you will ever meet with the exception of the store manager. They have no care for your wellbeing or needs, they treat you like robots and you get nothing in return - no days off, abysmally organised. Incredibly b!tchy atmosphere. The only plus is the 6.33/hr salary as a 16 year old which is the only reason i/m keeping this job as it is only 4 hours a week.
Pros
Money honey
Cons
everything else
good overrall
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands1 February 2018
good but not perfect was rather all over the place over Christmas I would take a job there again though under the right circumstances and when the time is right
Great!
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol City Centre, Bristol31 January 2018
I did a week of work experience for Debenhams and it was great. All staff were really friendly and they wanted to make sure that i got the best out of the experience. Although i didn't get paid for my work it was a nice working environment and the managers were really nice to me. :)
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hard on your feet from standing all day.
Uncomfortable
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Blackburn29 January 2018
Uncomfortable to be around elder or senior staff members, but good pay and opportunity for over time.Stressful around christmas and sales so expect hard work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.