Debenhams Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 297 reviews matching the search See all 1,886 reviews
enjoyable workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk10 January 2019
I worked as a Christmas temp from October 2018 to January 2019 and it was a fun and enjoyable workplace. The people I worked beside, including the managers, were easy to get along with and have a chat with. I was able to swap shifts with no problems and work around my college hours and focus on college work with no stress from the job. I sadly did not apply for the benefits of working there due to the shortness of my contract.
Pros
Enjoyable
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking28 December 2018
Fun but very busy place to work. I'll highly reccommend for students. I worked in the exchange bureau so most of my days were fairly smooth and strightforward. The only time, I was extremely busy was during the holidays such as Easter, christmas etc as thats when most people travel and therefore need foregin currencies.
Pros
Good breaks and I got to sit down
Cons
Pay isn't that great but its decent - good enough
Simple work for small pay
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Leeds7 November 2018
The staff are the best thing about the company, great people to work with and lifelong friends made. However the pay in most jobs is the bare minimum and there is not alot of room for improvement, no real rewards for long service. Good for stop gaps to better opportunities.
Pros
Some early starts/ finishes so you have more of the day to yourself
Cons
Management, pay, short notice of shift changes
would work there again
Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly10 January 2019
I was employed for Christmas only. but i found it to be a nice place to work. Staff were helpful and friendly. The rate of pay is 9.65 per hour. the staff discount is 20% but only 10% off concession shops and electrical goods.
Pros
staff discount, Good work environment
Cons
rate of pay
Debenhams supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester1 December 2018
I am a good team player and give one hundred percent effort every day I am experienced in the catering trade I was supervisor I also managed for long periods during the manager having a long spell on the sick . I am now looking for part time work as a catering assistant
fun workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 August 2018
Debenhams is great as a first job however it has no real room for development and they work you to the bone.
If your sick you are forced to come in and work in potwash even through it goes against health and safety.
The staff become like family after time and they are what makes the minimum pay bearable
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Poor pay for under 25
Team building, productive,
Food Services Adviser (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire18 September 2018
Part-time, as a Food Services Supervisor and Barista at Debenhams Café in Winchester enabled me to gain valuable experience working under pressure and dealing with customers’ requirements quickly and efficiently whilst giving the best customer service possible. My responsibilities included taking customer orders, operating the till, preparing meals and beverages, serving these to customers at their tables and dealing with customer enquiries or complaints. As the most senior member of the team I would maintain smooth operation of the café and kitchen by actively supporting my colleagues and ensuring company policy was followed correctly.

Left without a manager for several months and as such my team and I had to assume managerial roles with no extra salary or recognition.
Pros
good discount on Debenhams store and Cafe.
Cons
you are at the mercy of entitled customers
workplace
Sales Adviser (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Walsall11 August 2018
I have worked for Debenhams Walsall store for many years now, and have seen many staff come and go. Management are very one way vision. if it doesn't suit them its not happening. All they want from you is account and they wont stop pestering you till you get one.

Staff are friendly

no good benefits really

rotas and done without being asked if you can work the day (over time)
work culture
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 August 2018
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
work you to the bone
Productive place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford18 December 2018
I worked at debenhams whilst I was at college, working weekends/bank holidays/covering holidays in half term. I mostly worked in the Restaurant, sometimes I was asked to cover the shop floor if they were short staffed.

Want to know more about Debenhams?

Ask a question
Its ok
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire7 December 2018
I loved this job however my hard work was not appreciated and the pay was not ideal. Not all the staff pull their wait and everyone else has to do their jobs for them. Managers are not great.
Pros
20 % discount
Cons
low pay
Excellent
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford19 November 2018
I would love to work in a place where there’s make up and clothes and give people a good time coming to see everything and it’s a job I would love to busy in to do stuff and help out
Pros
Free launches
Friendly People
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London12 January 2019
Staff are friendly and approachable. The pay isn't great. Management were nice too but promised jobs after Christmas that weren't given. Most days were quiet but always a lot to do.
Good staff culture, retail stress taking its toll
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth5 June 2018
The stresses of retail within the current economic climate has had an impact on the working environment.
Working within the teams is fun and there is a sociable aspect of working in a large store and a lot of fun can be had with customer facing roles at times as well as socializing during breaks and outside of work. Most management do a fantastic job and you get support most of the time from sales managers.
Cuts to budgets has really reflected head count and so staff motivation and happiness does seem low.

Wages for more responsible roles is next to nothing and the wage gap is getting smaller.
Pros
Staff discount on items and access to other employee benefits
Cons
No extra pay for bank holidays or festive period
Horrible workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire9 July 2018
Debenhams itself was a very good opportunity in a wonderful place where i could definitely see the benefits. However the branch i worked at employed people who did not offer support or a friendly work environment but instead created one which i did not enjoy working in.
Pros
Pay, reasonable hours
Cons
People
ok
Cosmetic and Fragrance Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 December 2018
Enjoyable at times, working with customers and all different types of people but in comparison to other retailers a fairly uncompetative salary. Few work social events.
long
temporary Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands7 October 2018
given a lot of long hours good pay
if new given to much responsibility
staff can be rude
too many tasks assigned to one individual
dont like when you have sick days even if extremely ill
Wounderful people
Stockroom Assistant (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 January 2019
Hard but rewarding work. Good hours. A very social place to work. Seasonal work is hard but very rewarding. Really fun place to work. Manual handling work
Job role
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westfield30 May 2018
Working at Debenhams was a very pleasant and enjoyable experience for me because the duties and responsibilities were very straightforward and training was always provided. Something that I particularly liked was that the management was very flexible with working hours and always tried to accommodate my needs around my work.
Pros
Great employee benefits
Cons
not much progression
Challenging
Food Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear4 November 2018
A very high demand challenging job with very little reward or acknowledgement and very difficult customers. Very low pay and no discount for the first 3 months of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.