Debenhams Pay & Benefits reviews

workplace
Sales Adviser (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Walsall11 August 2018
I have worked for Debenhams Walsall store for many years now, and have seen many staff come and go. Management are very one way vision. if it doesn't suit them its not happening. All they want from you is account and they wont stop pestering you till you get one.

Staff are friendly

no good benefits really

rotas and done without being asked if you can work the day (over time)
Absolute nightmare
Food Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City8 August 2018
Rediculas uniform, staff worked raw, extremely rude customers most of the time.

Good staff sometimes

Poor managent all look out for themselves.
Rubbish hours, poor pay,
Pros
Atleast you are employed 😂
Cons
Everything else!
Nice workplace
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 July 2018
It was tiring but the staff were always friendly. The one thing i would change is the guidance provided by superiors. The staff benefits were very nice.
Good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear12 July 2018
A nice place to work, people are friendly and professional. The hours are not too bad. Holidays are good, pay could be better. I would recommend this employer.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Xmas working
Horrible workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire9 July 2018
Debenhams itself was a very good opportunity in a wonderful place where i could definitely see the benefits. However the branch i worked at employed people who did not offer support or a friendly work environment but instead created one which i did not enjoy working in.
Pros
Pay, reasonable hours
Cons
People
Good place to start..
Senior Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 July 2018
Great place to get started in buying admin but career progression is difficult, almost non-existent, salary increases are minimal, hours are long and challenging but the teams are great and the people are fantastic to work with.
Pros
30% staff discount
Cons
career progression slow
Good to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds3 July 2018
Great Staff, respectful and caring, good work hours and good pay for a 16, only christmas temp but still good for what it was, would work again if i could
Fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne21 June 2018
I only did 2 weeks for work experience but i did enjoy my short time there I learned many skills which I will use I'm the future and overall had a very good time.
fun place to work in
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London13 June 2018
a lot of responsibility on you with your job title
i learnt about peoples individual needs
met new people everyday
salary was good and my team was friendly
Pros
nice uniform and good pay
Cons
Good staff culture, retail stress taking its toll
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth5 June 2018
The stresses of retail within the current economic climate has had an impact on the working environment.
Working within the teams is fun and there is a sociable aspect of working in a large store and a lot of fun can be had with customer facing roles at times as well as socializing during breaks and outside of work. Most management do a fantastic job and you get support most of the time from sales managers.
Cuts to budgets has really reflected head count and so staff motivation and happiness does seem low.

Wages for more responsible roles is next to nothing and the wage gap is getting smaller.
Pros
Staff discount on items and access to other employee benefits
Cons
No extra pay for bank holidays or festive period
Its a good place to work
Food senior sales adviser (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk5 June 2018
its a really fun and friendly place to work. however i worked in the cafe and it can to be very very hard work. its gets very busy. also some very long hours.
Pros
nothing
Job role
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westfield30 May 2018
Working at Debenhams was a very pleasant and enjoyable experience for me because the duties and responsibilities were very straightforward and training was always provided. Something that I particularly liked was that the management was very flexible with working hours and always tried to accommodate my needs around my work.
Pros
Great employee benefits
Cons
not much progression
Fine
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool25 May 2018
The company is fine to work for by the rate is minimum wage and there are no benefits. Most sale assistant roles are part time and they will spread them out over many days so they don't have to give you any breaks therefore it'll seen like you're there all the time.
Productive and fun place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crawley23 May 2018
It’s very nice company ,i m sad because i must to live my job,always i have something to do ,We work in team ,we are a great team there!! I love to work with debenhams!!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not long hours
Boring
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster19 May 2018
This company is not great to work for. The pay is basic wage and the work is unrewarding. I would not recommend working here, unless you are a student looking for part-time stuff.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle28 April 2018
I really enjoyed working at Debenhams. Each day is different and fellow employees are friendly and welcoming. There are opportunities to progress within the company.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours on your feet
good job
merchandising (Former Employee) –  cumbria24 April 2018
was a good job always something different however long hours especially over the festive period , had good bonds between staff and overall a good job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
long days
Enjoyable
Stock Accuracy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough8 April 2018
Auditing stock prior to dispatch to over 150 stores both in the UK and worldwide. Good Management who are fair. I do not enjoy the commute to work as moved house. I enjoy working with a team.
Pros
Great Team ethos
Cons
Long Commute
Very good place to get experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  County Down5 April 2018
I started working in Debenhams at the end of October 2017 in the travel money department. I got trained for two weeks for it. My ob right now is sales advisor as well as working in travel money department. I also am in different departments such as: menswear, click & collect and home.
I live in Dundalk and I would like to change my job due to the transport. It is really hard for me to travel 25 minutes 6 times a week. It would be more convenient for me to find a good job in Dundalk.
Pros
Very good people
Cons
Low wages
Avoid at all costs, wouldn't return if they paid me double!
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire4 April 2018
Worst management team I have ever come across in over 5 years of retail. Derogatory, belittling and vile towards staff members. No support or someone to talk to when feeling down as the whole management team are one big clique. If one member of management decided they did not like you, then you had screwed it with the rest of them. Even had one manager say on my first shift she didn't like me as 'there was just something about me'. Dreaded going to work every single shift and would count down the hours until breaks or home time. No praise given when you hit your targets or opened a credit card account for them, but were quick to name and shame if you struggled to do so. Raised a grievance with the store manager over one particular employee which was completely ignored. Can't quite believe they've got away with their behaviour for so long and that this hasn't been picked up on by regional managers. Overall an absolute shambles of a work place, leaving staff feeling bullied and afraid to speak up when they are not happy.
Pros
Paid extra 30 minute break and 25% discount staff card
Cons
Everything except the discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.