Debenhams Pay & Benefits reviews

positive work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy14 February 2018
fair and flexible work place easy to know your availability, although the pay isn't great for a large money making department store, overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
6 week holiday
Cons
discrimination on age and pay
Awful management, but great colleagues
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2018
Above says a lot. Managers are extremely rude. The benefits are none existent. The company is going down the drain. Really just don't bother unless desperate for work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management and Debenhams Cards
Aweful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silverburn, Glasgow6 February 2018
Horrible company to work for. You need to take a credit card/gift card out to get you’re discount as well. Management sucks. Departments don’t work as a team. Store management are too busy trying to roll out new incentives instead of actually focusing on what staff REALLY want. The managing staff are too disconnected from the sales advisors. Salary is rubbish and (in the silverburn store) there is no overtime available anymore due to budget cuts because management keep overspending every year and make the same mistakes all the time. Management understaff each department all the time to try and save money but still expect you to do the work of 10 people with only 3 in. Overall, the people you work with will become your best friends BUT it doesn’t take away from how draining and degrading it is to work in the store.
Pros
Staff become best friends
Cons
Everything above and more
Bad for students
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset5 February 2018
As a student working here, I struggled to balance this job with my school. I also found that the management were unorganised in organising overtime and also in letting me change my day to work. However, a positive is that the pay was good, I was paid £2 over minimum wage at 16 and there is 25% off discount when you work there for 3 months
Pros
Good pay, good amount of discount
Cons
Unorganised, long hours when balanced with scholl
Fine workplace but poor management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland3 February 2018
Fine place to work, great colleagues and pleasant environment. Discount is available but with credit card. Sick pay and holidays are very fair. However, some of the management team are unpleasant towards their staff, which is a shame as otherwise Debenhams is a positive place to work.
Pros
fair breaks, store discount, Apple discount, cinema dicount
Cons
some managers
Horrible.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham3 February 2018
Management are the most horrible, unorganised women you will ever meet with the exception of the store manager. They have no care for your wellbeing or needs, they treat you like robots and you get nothing in return - no days off, abysmally organised. Incredibly b!tchy atmosphere. The only plus is the 6.33/hr salary as a 16 year old which is the only reason i/m keeping this job as it is only 4 hours a week.
Pros
Money honey
Cons
everything else
good overrall
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands1 February 2018
good but not perfect was rather all over the place over Christmas I would take a job there again though under the right circumstances and when the time is right
Uncomfortable
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Blackburn29 January 2018
Uncomfortable to be around elder or senior staff members, but good pay and opportunity for over time.Stressful around christmas and sales so expect hard work.
good staff to get along with
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear23 January 2018
This was a good job that I did enjoy but unfortunately the hours were not enough. This meant that I had to move on to a new job and now I am currently a home carer
Productive and fun workplace
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire18 January 2018
Fun and friendly workplace,not long just 8 hours dayshifts afternoonshift or midnight can be flexible for everyone who requiered.very nice management
Pros
Free lunches
An alright weekend job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex17 January 2018
good for students wanting a weekend job.
They put you in for overtime that you haven't agreed to do.
Very slow when it comes to approving holiday.
Management are snobs.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management are unorganised and unhelpful
its okay
Christmas Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham16 January 2018
it didnt pay right and they never told me in advance if they wanted me to do extra hours. I was never given a break unless i worked for 6 hours and the timetable was unorganised. I was always told
Fun colleagues but average work environment
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hounslow7 January 2018
The colleagues are great, everyone is nice and friendly - customers aren't even bad either. However working as a Christmas temp, the job itself isn't exactly challenging or really rewarding. Also, the pay isn't brilliant. A lot of the time you have to use your initiative to do stuff.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Little flexibility to move shifts, tedious work sometimes
Good employer
Senior Stockmovement Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grays1 January 2018
Professional employee who try to look after their employees but wage rates very low although in line with job nature-retail. 11 years worked there and left for more money ti live on.
Don't bother
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset24 December 2017
Staff are constantly over worked and then there is people who won't even do a quarter of what others do. You'll find yourself doing way more jobs that aren't included in your job description and just won't get paid the extra for doing it. Running a floor by yourself for a few months is apparently fine even if you're the lowest paid sales advisor (due to age) with often no support. There is no extra pay for becoming a key holder, it just benefits the company. They don't bother to change your pay even if it's for a limited time to show their appreciation and for the extra hard work you've put in despite it being a senior sales or a supervisor's role. People do nights for a week and on the last day finish at 12am and are expected to either come in for 7am or 9 am the same day.
Only way to get anywhere is to be two faced and a complete suck up, or open up 10 Debenham's mastercards a day.
Managers are sneaky changing people from their probation period (meaning you're temporary for your first 3 months) to a Christmas temp contract, meaning you have to work Christmas eve, boxing day and new years eve. And then still being unsure of whether you will be kept on in the new year. A large number of staff members have never seen their contract and it is up to us to request a copy from HR, i disagree with this and think you should have one in writing when you start the job. Also, then there is the Christmas temps who are hired to be Christmas temps who mention that they can't work any of the three main Christmas days and it's left for the other staff members to fill in.
Poor management
  more... all over.
Was extremely lucky to have such an amazing, supportive supervisor, but sad to see them be put under so much stress constantly.
They loose so many great, hard working members of staff just because it doesn't seem like they care for their staff members very much at all.

The members of staff are all very lovely (supervisors, senior sales, sales advisors and very few managers) and easy to get along with. All so supportive and are all round great people. It's surprising to work in a place with so many staff and not have any enemies.
Pros
Some absolutely great members of staff to work with, easy to get along with sales advisors and supervisors, wonderful people.
Cons
I couldn't list them all.
staff are friendly
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Witney19 December 2017
The staff are nice to work with that is the best part of the job. Its great if you want to open credit card accounts with customers that is the only way you can progress within the company
Pros
staff are nice
Cons
pay and benefits
Fantastic team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 December 2017
Debenhams is a great place to work I really enjoyed it and loved the team I was placed in, unfortunately there was not much space for moving up the ladder in the company and my position at the time didn't earn great salary on top of there being a lack of hours and overtime available it was difficult to live off of the earning I would have come payday .
Pros
Great management
Cons
Lack of working hours abailable
Little support but good company perks
Counter Manager, SPB (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre30 November 2017
I went from 2 days to a 5 day manager role, before they employed me I did make them aware that I hadn't done any managerial work beforehand and they still hired me, however I found I did not receive enough support on my counter. The jump from 2 days to 5 was okay but the support system wasn't there for me, the same with the managers for the individual brands that I managed, I didn't hear from them for a long period of time even after sending multiple emails.
Apart from the weak support system in the store, the sub-company that I worked for in Debenhams had really good perks to the job. I received a salary which is quite a bit above the minimum wage, I also received commission for products that I sold aswell.
Busy and fast pace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire18 November 2017
Although I loved my co-workers at Debenhams, I found the environment too stressful to work in and some of the staff quite hostile. The pay was very low and I had to find something more suitable for my lifestyle.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
productive
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire9 November 2017
Low wages,Nice people the problem is with Retail is that they dont pay as much money that is required.Good job in loss prevention on CCTV.There are a lot better companies to work for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.