Debenhams Employee Reviews

Stressful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 July 2018
This job was very stressful for me, maybe because i was working for free due to it being work experience. Also the manager i had was quite rude and did not take my opinions and request into consideration whilst i was there.
Pros
experience
Cons
Manager, Time, Pay
Good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear12 July 2018
A nice place to work, people are friendly and professional. The hours are not too bad. Holidays are good, pay could be better. I would recommend this employer.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Xmas working
only completed unpaid work experience here, fun but tiring
Debenhams Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester10 July 2018
I worked in a range of different departments for two weeks and loved the busy and fast-paced environment. I enjoyed working at click and collect the most but didn't enjoy working in the restaurant due to unpleasant and stressful work environment. Dealt with rude customers, however, the staff were lovely and really welcoming.
Horrible workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire9 July 2018
Debenhams itself was a very good opportunity in a wonderful place where i could definitely see the benefits. However the branch i worked at employed people who did not offer support or a friendly work environment but instead created one which i did not enjoy working in.
Pros
Pay, reasonable hours
Cons
People
good retail job
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Telford6 July 2018
friendly colleagues. staff discount 25%. different tasks during the shift. high pressure to open credit cards with only £1 commission per card. customers might be rude.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
pressure for targets
Stock Movement Assistant
Stock Movement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester5 July 2018
This was a lovely job , staff were lovely and the hours suited me .We got a deleivery in the morning and the afternoon, just had to find where the products had to go.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
On your feet all day
Management are poor
Senior Merchandiser Home & Childrenswear (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire5 July 2018
Managers are never on the sales floor and wouldn't care if the department was short staffed. There were times when I had to stay after my shift as my replacement didn't arrive and my manager still wouldn't come out of the office. Very much a them and us attitude
Good place to start..
Senior Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 July 2018
Great place to get started in buying admin but career progression is difficult, almost non-existent, salary increases are minimal, hours are long and challenging but the teams are great and the people are fantastic to work with.
Pros
30% staff discount
Cons
career progression slow
productive and very warming
Debenhams Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester4 July 2018
It was a very nice place. everyone is understanding and the take there work very seriously but there is also time to have a laugh with the colleagues.
All the colleagues are helpful to one another.
Pros
cloose to food shops
Cons
its really far
Toxic work enviroment
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire4 July 2018
Management staff refused to acknowledge younger workers efforts and were patronizing and belittling. Never felt like a supporting enviroment as id expect from such a large company

Want to know more about Debenhams?

Ask a question
Debenhams
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxford Street3 July 2018
Have enjoyed working here for nearly 10 years. Progression is good if you go after it and make it known what you would like out of your time with the company.
Good to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds3 July 2018
Great Staff, respectful and caring, good work hours and good pay for a 16, only christmas temp but still good for what it was, would work again if i could
Friendly environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire1 July 2018
The team were very supportive and helped me develop my customer service skills. It was a very friendly environment to work in and i would recommend someone to work here
Nice place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hanley, Staffordshire29 June 2018
Debenhams was the first job that I ever had and was a lovely place to gain experience in customer service. I worked part-time alongside studying for a degree and the management at Debenhams were very flexible in allowing me to tailor my shifts around my university lectures and deadlines. Training sessions were carried out at the beginning of the job as well as held throughout the year to ensure all staff was aware of their responsibilities. Management are very driven towards meeting sales targets for the Debenhams Mastercard and sometimes too much pressure was put on the sales team when targets were not being met. Overall, this was a brilliant first job to have.
Pros
20% discount
A good working environment
Sales Advisor/ Senior Sales Adviser/ Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Scotland29 June 2018
When i worked here staffing was very good and there was a good working atmosphere. I hear this is no longer the case and many cut backs have been made
Was a fun place to work, lifted my confidence levels
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 June 2018
I was only there for a week as it was only work experience, although my time when I was there it felt like I was working there for like 2 month, I enjoyed doing my work experience there as it pushed me to gain confidence to speak to customers and engage with them whenever they needed me.
Pros
free freebies such as perfumes/makeup
Only a 2 week work placement
Assistant Buyer (2 week work placement) (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2018
Friendly employees and head of departments. i was able to gain valuable experience and knowledge from other employees. i was also given the opportunity to work in different departments.
Very good to work at
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs27 June 2018
All the customers were very friendly but the Debenhams store was only relying on the employees to make store cards and nothing else so I was the person not to make as many as other people and they got rid of me
Pros
Free canteen
Cons
Long shifts
It is a productive and fun workplace
Perfumery Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, London27 June 2018
I enjoyed selling to customers.
Spraying my fragrances as I was on promotion and serving customers.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers.
The best part was making a big sale!
Memorable experience
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2018
Its a very busy workplace but so much fun to meet different people everyday.The multitasking kind of work made me worthy person.Following the protocol from the management is also important to keep the work routine easy and less trouble.
Pros
not free meal
Cons
not giving full time job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.