Debenhams Employee Reviews

Boring
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster19 May 2018
This company is not great to work for. The pay is basic wage and the work is unrewarding. I would not recommend working here, unless you are a student looking for part-time stuff.
A fun and very exciting place to work, with a lot of loving and caring people.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire17 May 2018
This was my first ever job since the age of 16, at first I thought working in retail would be boring as I believed there will not be a lot of tasks to do. However, I enjoyed my job from the first day I started working there! So much so that, I go to work to have fun. In other terms, Debenhams has a significant role and always will. Nevertheless, due to unfortunate circumstances and lack of progression I am forced to leave the job; hence why I am apply for a new job...
Pros
Long breaks and discounts on all products even sale items.
Cons
High demands on opening store cards
not the best
sales adviser and progressed (Current Employee) –  Greater London16 May 2018
not much area for progression. most of the people you work with are great which does make going to work easier. lots of focus on opening store credit card accounts. customer service is key.
Good company
Food Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading15 May 2018
I started off at Debenhams whilst I was studying in colleague. The tasks were often strenuous and the pay was not the best, on the other hand it was a stepping stone. I met some wonderful people there which was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Quiet and productive
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim15 May 2018
A normal day at work would consist of recovery and tills. It was very quiet at times as usually not many people came in, which made the day drag in very slowly. I learned how to work in a retail environment with other members of staff. Management were often grouped together and were not approachable for a conversation. The hardest part of the job was that no customers came in and everything was completed and you had to make tasks for yourself to ensure you looked busy.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Shifts can be very slow
Personally a bad experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 May 2018
Some of the staff members were great but management was a different story. Worked there part time while studying but getting an education didn't appear to mean much to the management. They wanted your job to be your top priority and when you couldnt take on more hours or need time off for exams etc, were made to feel disrespected. Often felt like some of the management looked down on you and weren't supportive or willing to assist new staff members.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Bad management
productive
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton11 May 2018
I got involved with Debenhams for my work experience whilst at college it was very productive as i was getting involved with client (e.g selling, applying and recommending products)
Pros
free lunches
Cons
sometimes quiet
A great, friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire8 May 2018
During my time at Debenhams, I was made to feel welcome. I enjoyed communicating with the public, and helping customers. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Debenhams.
Cons
N/A as I was only there for 5 days.
Fun and enjoyable company to work for
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian8 May 2018
In the short time I was there, I gained a variety of skills and was given the opportunity to work in a variety of settings including in customer service and food preparation
Fun workplace, horrible pay
Food Services Adviser (Current Employee) –  Warrington2 May 2018
Most of the people are extremely nice and welcoming and the job wasn't too hard. You didn't have to work on the same task your entire shift as it would switch every hour (ex: till, running food, potwash, making sandwiches, etc) which was nice and broke up the hours. Definite favouritism for staff that have been there longer which is discouraging for newer staff who work hard. Also, certain kitchen staff were absolutely horrible to work with. Always make snide remarks under their breath when a simple mistake happened and also looked down on any newer staff. Management are aware but won't accept that it's true even after multiple complaints.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
No discount on food or drink, so much food waste, busy location and not enough staff
Not the position I was interviewed for
Loss Prevention Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire2 May 2018
After a phone interview and two face to face interviews it was emphasised I would be covering all aspects of the Loss Prevention role.
However All they want is a security guard to stand on fragrance counter and aggressively stare at anyone who is unlucky enough to happen to want to be a valued customer.
No training provided for the whole 4 weeks I was there.
Spoke to management but was basicaly stonewalled.
Not for me im afraid.
Maybe a reason this store has a high staff turnover in Loss Prevention.
Although 36.5 hrs you still end up doing 9 hour days due to a bizarre way of rostering a 1 and half hour unpaid break in the middle of each day.
Never got 2 days off together either.
Pros
Lovely friendly staff.
Cons
Just need to be clear in interview what your expectation are
supportive and fun workplace
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay1 May 2018
Excellent place to work. Every member of staff was supportive and helpful. The work place had an excellent atmosphere and everyone always seemed willing to help, and for you to succeed in life. Kind, thoughtful and safe atmosphere was always felt.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle28 April 2018
I really enjoyed working at Debenhams. Each day is different and fellow employees are friendly and welcoming. There are opportunities to progress within the company.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Terrible management
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey25 April 2018
Management was absolutely terrible. They dabbled in favouritism and loved to target and attack certain people for no reason at all. The other people I worked with were all lovely and I genuinely enjoyed the job so it's a shame management were so horrible. New people come and go because of them so you'll never have a stable working environment either. They ALWAYS need you to come in when you're not supposed to be in because they are terrible at managing their employees and there is no organised system of who goes where because THERE'S NEVER ENOUGH STAFF and management refuse to hire more people where they're needed.

One more time for those in the back that didn't hear me: THE MANAGEMENT WAS TERRIBLE.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Horrible management
good job
merchandising (Former Employee) –  cumbria24 April 2018
was a good job always something different however long hours especially over the festive period , had good bonds between staff and overall a good job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
long days
Average
COUNTER MANAGER - CLINIQUE (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire23 April 2018
Although being a concession, Debenhams overall isn't ran very well. Especially my branch. Poor pay, management and morale. Definitely needed to have fun colleagues to make the day go by easier.
Nice place to work
Cheshire Oaks - Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire23 April 2018
Nice store to work in. A typical day at work would be to serve and greet customers, assist customers in finding what they were looking for, man the fitting rooms, ensure the shop floor was tidy and well maintained. The hardest part of the job is the pressure to sell the credit card. People don't want to sign up for one over the counter, especially when the interest rate is quite high. The people are all really nice to work with. I gained some valuable work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Pressure of promoting and selling credit card
Productive and fun work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oxford22 April 2018
Good selection of items.
Staff Discount even on sale items.
Friendly staff, great discounts, lovely customers.
The supervisor and floor manager are always there to help me with any questions.
I make some good friends and I learn new skills.
Personal shopper - oxford street
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London20 April 2018
Pros :

Make the job your own. The role is very enjoyable when you’re with clients.

Cons:

management for the personal shop are horrible and have no people skills. They don’t appreciate your hard work. Just fake smiles and small talk if you’re lucky. No motivation.

Management push you to open accounts because they get commission. Unrealistic targets with no commission. Just a basic wage.

Most management have no experience in styling. Non management have more experience than them.

Constantly losing staff because of the reasons stated above. Management need training and learn how to be nice and genuine with people and stop being arrogant and fake. It’s only retail.
Cons
Long hours, horrible management, constantly losing staff, no commission, high targets
productive and fun work place
Food service advisor who left (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London18 April 2018
I learned how to work in a kitchen environment, and learnt the safety of food. I couldn't fault the management there, who helped me with my needs within the workplace even when I became pregnant with my daughter . The hardest part of the job was managing on low staff . The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.