Debenhams Employee Reviews

Found 1,752 reviews matching the search See all 1,886 reviews
Not good.
Lingerie sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London17 January 2019
Your just a number. terrible company to work for. Hours were terrible and pay was worse. worked your backside off for nothing in return. would never go back to retail
Do not work here!!
christmas temp (Former Employee) –  christmas temp woking16 January 2019
I recently completed a Christmas Temp position with the company and what I witnessed over those few months left me in a state of shock and under no illusion of why the company is in such trouble!

The problems start at the top, the management of the store is non existent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I witnessed bullying of staff first hand and even heard of written reports being made yet no action taken against the wrong doer.

I was glad when my temp contract expired as I wish to work within a professional business, that surely is NOT debenhams!!
Pros
nil
Cons
Can do what like as management dont manage you
Many problems
Sales Advisor (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire15 January 2019
this was a christmas temp job however was told there were opportunities of staying on. Moved to travel/click and collect as my supervisor clearly told me it would be a permanent position of 16hours however near the end of december temps are made to reapply by sending a cover letter in even though temps have never been made to REAPPLY for a position in previous years ive been told. Ended up not getting the job in the end but i now realise the supervisor lied that it was permenant as they needed staff on travel/click and collect.
Staff/supervisors spend their shifts talking bad/making fun of their colleagues. supervisor tells you off in front of customers if you make a little mistake.
The areas behind all tills need a real deep clean. built up dirt in keyboards and all surfaces. The travel money booth especially, which is why i refused to work in there. Built up dead skin and dandruff all over the chair, keyboard, inside the till, floor, everywhere. No names mentioned. Employees have the right to work in a CLEAN environment. Really recommend they spend a whole day or two cleaning that out if they want staff to work in that area.
Pros
some genuinely nice colleagues
Cons
hardly any hours, cut back overtime, dirty/germy workspaces, minimum wage
ok
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon14 January 2019
ok company to work for. The salary is minimal and the hours are not fantastic but if you like working in retail its a good place to work. professional friendly staff .
Overworked and under appreciated
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh13 January 2019
In Debenhams your opinion on the working environment tends to depend on the department you are working in.

Food service sector of the company is in my opinion the most neglected. Very often the staff are over worked, and seriously under appreciated by the store managers and the managers of the other sectors of the business. Floor staff have more opporutnites for progression and are given more incentives to meet targets.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep customer service levels up, while try to meet the impossible targets that they set. Very often the food service sector would have to accommodate customers that had a bad experience else where in the store. Which meant that we had to pay the price of the floor staffs customer service skills.

Id say the most enjoyable part about the job were the other workers within the food service side of things. Usually the immediate food service manager would be dedicated to their staff, but often they were stretched thin, having to cover for those managers out on the shop floor, when their attention should have always been on the problems facing their staff.
Friendly People
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London12 January 2019
Staff are friendly and approachable. The pay isn't great. Management were nice too but promised jobs after Christmas that weren't given. Most days were quiet but always a lot to do.
fun place with loads of oportunities
loss prevention assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow12 January 2019
really nice place to work in. good staff discount. Great management. loads of new opportunities to get a better career. great people. nice canteen for workers,
Pros
staff discount
enjoyable workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk10 January 2019
I worked as a Christmas temp from October 2018 to January 2019 and it was a fun and enjoyable workplace. The people I worked beside, including the managers, were easy to get along with and have a chat with. I was able to swap shifts with no problems and work around my college hours and focus on college work with no stress from the job. I sadly did not apply for the benefits of working there due to the shortness of my contract.
Pros
Enjoyable
would work there again
Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly10 January 2019
I was employed for Christmas only. but i found it to be a nice place to work. Staff were helpful and friendly. The rate of pay is 9.65 per hour. the staff discount is 20% but only 10% off concession shops and electrical goods.
Pros
staff discount, Good work environment
Cons
rate of pay
worst experience - christmas temp
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife7 January 2019
nasty co workers, was trained to go on tills for an hour and was thrown into the deep end which led me to make a few mistakes which also led to not being able to use the tills. I was told I would get further training which never happened. So for nearly a month all I did was recovery for 4 hours. Poor communication. Has put me off working in retail. Only good thing is that they paid me on time
Pros
nout
Cons
everything
Wounderful people
Stockroom Assistant (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 January 2019
Hard but rewarding work. Good hours. A very social place to work. Seasonal work is hard but very rewarding. Really fun place to work. Manual handling work
Productive and fun workplace, lovely staff
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester6 January 2019
During my time at Debenhams I learned how to do various different things that retail requires e.g. folding jeans and jumpers and finger spacing hanged clothes. The management was very efficient and very polite and made sure that the jobs were being done properly and assisted to any help if needed. The hardest part of the job was tackling the busy shifts very close to Christmas such as Boxing day. The part I enjoyed most is working in a friendly environment in which I felt comfortable in.
Pros
Finishing early if everything was completed
Cons
Busy shifts sometimes not enough staff in
Decent workplace
Data Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 January 2019
-sample sale access for all departments purchase items less than 5 pounds
-Great location heart of London
-Decent people, worked in a small team so not many opportunities to mingle with other bigger teams and departments
Pros
-sample sale access for all departments purchase items less than 5 pounds
Amazing to work for
Sales Advisor (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Slough4 January 2019
I've loved working at Debenhams, everybody is friendly, welcoming and very supportive. They've all taught me so much and I would 100% work here again in the future.

My role included working on the tills and click & collect, signing in and out parcels, cashing up, tidying the shop floor, moving and putting up new displays, marking down items for sales, and unboxing deliveries and putting the items out onto the shop floor.

My till training was sorted out within the first couple of weeks of working at the store, I was very eager to learn how to use the tills so that I had more to do on days where the store was quite tidy and we had no deliveries.The one thing that I still struggled with at the end of my time here is remembering all of the different types of vouchers and gift cards that we accept and how to process them on the tills but my colleagues were always so amazing and helped me whenever I needed them.

Management are very understanding and friendly, my colleagues have been so supportive and patient, as this was my first job they have taught me a lot and I'm so grateful to every last one of them.
bad management
Food services assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor4 January 2019
lots of work in a short day of work, short hours broke up into more days. bad management constantly swapping managers - not enough staff very busy days
Friendly people to work with but often unorganised
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool3 January 2019
Management regularly committed errors in communication. Changes to shifts could be done at short notice, contradicting instructions could be given out and sometimes no instructions were given at all meaning I had to search for tasks that needed doing. However, all colleagues were friendly and easy to work with
Poor workplace
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London3 January 2019
Managers aren’t bothered about how their staff are feeling at work. Only like you if you get Debenhams credit card accounts. Very unorganised when it comes to rotas so you’re finding out when your working at the very last minute.
Awful management and place to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire2 January 2019
I worked as a Christmas Temp at the Cambridge store and it was an overall very negative experience.

Firstly, there is very little training and you are thrown into the deep end straight away. Furthermore, when you have to ask for help you are usually met with hostile and unhelpful responses by the majority of permanent staff.

Secondly, the management is terrible. Managers are unorganised yet very demanding. They expect you to work at a robotic pace during every minute of your shift, and will breathe down your neck by constantly asking what you're doing (even when you're clearly busy). Most of the time I was not given my rota in advance, and I would have to wait for the week to start before knowing what days I am working that week. They also expect you to be fully flexible to work long hours and be able to work at very short notice.

To top it all off, the staff facilities are a joke. The staff kitchen didn't even have a sink, and the toilets are literally falling apart. This is in stark contrast to the very modern customer facilities.
excellent place to work
Restaurant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford2 January 2019
was working as a christmas temp and was an excellent place to work. The manager and supervisors were extreamly helpful and the work was hard but fun.Sorry to leave there
Very friendly
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough1 January 2019
I really enjoyed working for Debenhams. This was one of my favourite place where I wanted to work and get more experience of retail industury. My supervisor as very supportive and a great mentor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.