Debenhams Employee Reviews

Found 1,704 reviews matching the search See all 1,838 reviews
Pay rate mot correct
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Winchester14 November 2018
Worked one week had two phone interviews pay rate changed from £8,83 to £8.50 left return to.old job better the devil's you know also spent time secuirty devices back on items stood fragrance counter not advertised pay rate not correct job description
Cons
It’s a good working place
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester13 November 2018
It’s a very friendly working environment that sales clothes, wedding dressing, make ups, kids toys and many other things with higher quality and most attractive are the perfumes section and the baby section that you will want to have a baby.
Pros
Free break
The place is not bad for work but I’m getting bored
Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 November 2018
I got enough experience of it
I want to change my work way
I want to move my self more than now
I want to communicate with different people
I will be happy to find my right way for work
Bad
Christmas Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ilford IG112 November 2018
The management team is rubbish, they don't care about the well-being of workers and just about if the the job gets done. The staff room was dirty and had mice in the staff kitchen. Dog work was completed for very little pay.
Fun, great people to work with, good pag
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Crawley10 November 2018
The people you work with is really fun and really nice to talk to. Management talks down to you and makes you feel horrible. They talk to very rudely.
Great pay through
Pros
Great Pay!!
Cons
Rude Management
Simple work for small pay
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Leeds7 November 2018
The staff are the best thing about the company, great people to work with and lifelong friends made. However the pay in most jobs is the bare minimum and there is not alot of room for improvement, no real rewards for long service. Good for stop gaps to better opportunities.
Pros
Some early starts/ finishes so you have more of the day to yourself
Cons
Management, pay, short notice of shift changes
Work experience therefore limited knowledge
PR Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 November 2018
I only worked for Debenhams for a month as work experience whilst at college. I didn't get to see a lot in my time there so I don't have much experience to reflect on.
Rubbish
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire6 November 2018
Management do not take notice of when you give dates that you cannot work, putting you on anyway. All management are rude in general and have no regard for human emotion or that their employees have lives outside of work. They also don't permit their employees to talk to each other, even if the store is empty.
Pros
None.
Cons
Awful management
Haphazard in its management and inconsistent with its policies
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands6 November 2018
The store runs as any other retail job but Debenhams seems to have a wheelhouse of new management coming from outside its store instead of promoting from within. The departments' success depend on the contentment of the supervisors and managers, which is dependent on the policies of the store managers which makes for a difficult team to work with. Added to the fact that they tend to hire students while at university or people on short-hours contracts, there is little brand devotion and so the teams are harder to manage. Not an unpleasant place to work but is stuck in its ways whilst simultaneously trying to cater to every single kind of shopper (unsuccessfully may I add).
Pros
20% staff discount, shift work.
Cons
Staff made to meet targets on MasterCards which can seem unethical.
part time employment
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 November 2018
busy, fast paced work environment with customers being the focal point of every day. continuous targets to meet of sales and opening new customer accounts. fun group of people to work with, most of whom were students.
Fun environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire5 November 2018
I enjoyed my expierence as Christmas temp at Debenhams Doncaster, as I learnt new skills, and met new people and Over all enjoyed being part of the team working there.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
N/a
Challenging
Food Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear4 November 2018
A very high demand challenging job with very little reward or acknowledgement and very difficult customers. Very low pay and no discount for the first 3 months of work.
Leaned so much working as part of the visual team!!
employee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 November 2018
I learned the core basic skills in visual design at debenhams.
With a fantastic team to learn from I felt inspired. Miss it very much and the team.
The creative side of the business has taken a backseat at the moment whilst the company is trying to boost profit, but the visuals in some of the stores are very beautiful.
Pros
training
Cons
pay not high enough
Debenhams fair with staff
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlisle2 November 2018
Work long hours and expected to cover Shop store manager duties even when you are running your own unit at the same time. Not enough Managers with general knowledge they only have unit specific knowledge none transferable.
Pros
paid on or off
Cons
nothing for free
They treat agency workers like rubbish
Agency Worker (Former Employee) –  Makeup counters1 November 2018
Debenhams meadowhall treat agency workers awful they refuse to sign timesheets, look down on agency workers they will make you traffic stop all day without the opportuntiy to get sales. Despicable
Cons
Long hours innerquality
Don't work here
Loss Prevention Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex1 November 2018
First I should say that even though this position is a security role the focus is on completing the audit checks over crime prevention. I was fine with this as the point of Debenhams plc is to make a massive profit otherwise business rivals could overtake them. Audits checks need to be passed otherwise the result of a failed one can impact their ability to make a profit.

There was a good work to live balance on the job, while I was working here. I never started earlier than 10:00am and I never left later than 7:00pm. I should add that since I was on a probationary contract I wasn’t allowed to work earlier than that and I worked six & half hours less than my co-workers. Before I decided to leave I was told that there was night work in the role and early mornings (before 7am).

Pay wasn’t fantastic and there weren’t many benefits. There was an opportunity to get a staff discount card but I didn’t see the point spending my little wages on overpriced items even with a little discount.

In terms of job secretary I was on a probationary contract my whole time there so there wasn’t any. There is no advancement in this role. In the first week of me working here a co-worker who was at the company for years mentioned that this is a “dead end job” (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Now to be honest this is a horrible company and I would advise you to do anything else instead of working here. For a start my Loss Prevention colleagues seemed to have a poor opinion of women. I’m not saying there bigots but I heard so many sexist terms in this place, while working here.
  more... It was uncomfortable and didn’t feel like going to management, as the place is cliquey. A couple of my colleagues were friends with the store manager, which was awkward because it’s unlikely that they are going to be, treated the same as other employees.

One time a co-worker even went as far to say to me that black women always had a bad attitude and that they always kiss their teeth. This really bothered me since my mother was black. I left the next day, as this was the straw that broke the camels back.

There wasn’t really much training given to me despite being told that there would be possibility of using some additional training such as a practice scenario where I could practice arresting someone.

There wasn’t much structure in the place (though when there is a suspect I understand that other work gets put aside). The workers there didn’t really care for many aspects of the job and one full out didn’t like it. Hearing him complain about the job, while I was new on it was very unpleasant to say the least. I’ve seen my two of my co-workers go on the phone having casual conversations during work. Also other people were allowed into the office sometimes from outside of work. I’m pretty sure that what I stated in the last two sentences would be seen as unprofessional in most workplaces but I could be wrong.
Debenhams
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bolton31 October 2018
I was a part time sales for 5 years
It was difficult to progress into a full time possition within Debenhams
The manangement were staff and customer focused
Glad I worked there!
Daytime Janitor (Former Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire25 October 2018
After reading the sad news today that Debenhams is reportedly going to close 50 stores, I thought I should write a review of my experience of working within a Debenhams store.

My time at Debenhams began a while ago in 2001.

I worked there in the capacity of daytime janitor for 7.5 years and left in 2008.

Although I wasn't employed by Debenhams PLC, I saw and heard so much of what went on there that I feel I'm qualified to review working at Debenhams.

One of the first things I learned when I started at Debenhams was the importance, stressed by the management on the sales advisers, of always asking customers if they would like to open a store card account.

The incentive to open a store card account was a ten percent discount on the goods they were purchasing at the time.

I thought this was a good idea: It was about trying to establish a loyal customer base, should the customer open an account then there was a record of a customer that could be contacted via post or email with news about offers etc and news of upcoming sale events.

In the early years of my time there, sale events at Debenhams were a riot of colours, balloons, music and on one occasion at the Banbury store, we even had a bloke dressed up as a town crier walking up and down Bridge street ringing his bell and shouting the odds about the sale at Debenhams!

There was a sense, from my perspective at least, that Debenhams were pioneers in some of their sales tactics.

For example, I think I'm right in saying that Debenhams was the first department store in Britain to hold their post-christmas
  more... sale on boxing day.

I do know that in Banbury in the early 2000's, Debenhams was the only store to hold their sale on boxing day - and they were the only store in Castle Quay shopping centre actually open on boxing day!

The store in Banbury is a large store.

On sales days it used to get very busy and in the run up to christmas on Saturdays it would get rammed.

I went in there a week ago to collect an order and there were about 4 people in there including me.

A store that big needs more foot-fall to sustain it.

Hopefully things will work out for the best and the Banbury store will remain!
Pros
Great sales events, friendly work culture
Cons
Staff get searched a lot, walking back of house and at home time etc - a bit annoying!
Love the workforce
Technical Services (Current Employee) –  South West21 October 2018
A working day is never the same, there is always something going on. The team are friendly and they are what make the place the most enjoyable. There is always an element of learning on the job, and always the opportunity to learn new skills, as well as work your way through the company, although that would require working at different stores.
Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire18 October 2018
The fellow staff were extremely friendly however with my personal experience I didn’t tend to see my manager as often as I would have liked, for example I would of seen her possibly once a month and I worked there for 9 months.
Pros
Friendly staff, good environment
Cons
Concession managers and Debenhams managers seemed to not get along

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.