Debenhams Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire16 September 2018
Working at Debenhams provided me with key retail skills that have helped me pursue other retail jobs. Even though I only worked there for a short time period I was made to feel welcomed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Debenhams.
Worst job I've ever had
Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 September 2018
Having worked in the stockroom on nightshift for 6yrs now, I can honestly say: I Hate Working for Debenhams.

The environment at back of house can range from: the foul smell of wet rats and mice, dozens of flies buzzing around, leaking ceilings and damp floors, freezing cold during winters and no air con during summers, nearest source of hydration is 5floors up and a short walk to the staff canteen which has No source of food for night staff if they have no money for lunch/dinner other than vending machines that more often than not take your money.

The work is Extremely repetitive as a stockroom staff: Arrive. Stock picks. Cage and send to shopfloor. Wait for cages to return later or next day to scan stock in and reshelf only to have the Same picks again the next day.

Management neary have a clue on how stockroom should function and make life more difficult.

Relationship/friendship building with colleagues is nipped in the bud, but teamwork is required.

Night staff aren't allowed to staff parties if not enough staff book the day off for delivery to be cancelled.

Toilets are nearly Always out of service, so bring extra underwear, because you will wet your first pair taking almost 6mins getting to the nearest toilets.

Security is incompetent and sometimes discriminative.

Underpaid when doing overtime.
Pros
Decent wages if working nights, but not worth the sacrifice on your social life.
Cons
Discount doesn't amount to much, even on sales, Lack of social life, Unappreciated, Poor working environment, Poor management, Only two bank Holidays off per calender year, Easter Sunday and Xmas, And you Must have holiday hours to book those days off. So much more but you get the jist.
Quiet to busy workplace, depending on the time of year
Stockroom assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex13 September 2018
hardest part of the job is not having set hours, can be difficult to be flexible with commitments outside of work.

Low pay

Busier periods are around end of September in preparation for Christmas.

Day to day jobs can be repetitive.

I enjoyed getting to know new people and also experienced working other departments from time to time.
friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scotland13 September 2018
Very friendly staff but every department is short staffed, meaning more pressure on everyone. A lot of pressure to get accounts and completing tasks on time.
Interesting
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire13 September 2018
interesting, but quite often disorganized.

Had to greet customers at the door (which the customers clearly didn't enjoy) Head office/ decision makers are clearly disconnected from the main business.

Constantly folding clothes only for customers to destroy 5 minutes later.
Pros
fun and varied
Cons
Line manager
Life changing
Sales Assistant - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton12 September 2018
My first job in Brighton. Serving customers, re merchandising, keeping the department looking its best.
I was able to take part in model store and night stock taking.
bad atmosphere, bad hours
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Croydon11 September 2018
Rude managers and supervisors in the Croydon branch. Treat you harshly when you are a Christmas temp because they don't usually keep people on. hours were very inconvenient because they would make you stay much longer than contracted hours without adding the pay as overtime. Don't recommend working here permanently, but getting the Christmas temp job is okay if you desperately need some retail experience.
Pros
They give you free perfume samples
Cons
hours are bad, the managers and supervisors take a lot of advantage, Did not enjoy the treatment from most staff
productive
Plain clothes store detective (Former Employee) –  Swansea8 September 2018
I enjoyed time at Debenhams working with teams and encouraged me to continue in security work. Assisted in helping me deal with challenging situations.
Pros
Discount
Busy/Hard work
Sales and Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon1 September 2018
The environment in Debenhams is very productive. There are always things that need to be done, so there is no chance that you will ever get bored.
A typical day at Debenhams consists of attending morning meetings to discuss store figures and goals for the day, completing all deliveries that come into the store, going on tills, manning the fitting room, opening and prompting credit cards, recovering the department and giving excellent customer service.
I've learnt how to stay calm when dealing with angry/rude customers.
Management is OK, although I feel they could be a little more empathetic, as it is hard to complete daily tasks on time and accurately when there is a lack of staff.
The two hardest things about working in Debenhams are working with hardly any staff and being pressured to open credit cards.
The best part about working at Debenhams were my colleagues. Very friendly, supporting and caring individuals. If you are having a rough day, they are always there to lift your spirits.
Pros
Discounts on products. Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff
the worst company ive ever worked for
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London30 August 2018
ive worked in many places- but nothing compares to how awful debenhams is.
the management treat you like absolute dirt, always change shifts, with 4 hour shifts they expect you to get 8 hour of work done.
there is one manager who then dropped an item of clothing in front of me and tells me to pick it up- just an example of how disgustingly they treat you
i quit after two weeks, its that bad, i dont even know how i lasted 2 weeks.

when they cash up they make you stay longer- upto 20 minutes which is UNPAID...they really be thinking they can make you do that without paying you lol free labour- i quit
they also do this thing where they make you force customers to open a credit card (which note: not everyone wants to!)
the training was so tiring it took 2 days and then boom youre expected to know it all.
the shifts are horrible, youre always running around like a headless chicken in a four hour shift, its their way of trying to get you to do more in little time.
the management is awful and all over the place
a typical day at work would be - putting clothes back where they belong then putting them in size order, finger spacing them. avoid the job at all costs!!!!
nothing about this job is enjoyable- i suggest working at marks and spencers.
Pros
getting paid
Cons
short shifts, terrible management, awful training
Good place for steady work
Senior Retail Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southsea, Hampshire29 August 2018
This was a good place to work but very stuck in its ways and didn't want to take new approaches to service ect.
I liked building knowledge moving departments
Decent company to work for
Head Barista (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes28 August 2018
Decent company to work for, however recent (2018) financial constraints have curtailed workplace Progression.
A typical day at work can be very dependant on the weather, so no day is ever the same. The busiest days tend to be the best, as there is always something to do.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers that aren't willing to be forgiving.
The most enjoyable is being able to go the extra mile to make customers happy.
Pros
Food Allowance, Good Company Perks
fun workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 August 2018
Debenhams is great as a first job however it has no real room for development and they work you to the bone.
If your sick you are forced to come in and work in potwash even through it goes against health and safety.
The staff become like family after time and they are what makes the minimum pay bearable
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Poor pay for under 25
ok workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 August 2018
if you want to work for a brand such as the beauty brands then debenhams would be a good place to work. working in other sections is not as good. they have high expectations on kpis but do not give you enough training to reach these
Never enjoyed working here but enjoy my role
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester26 August 2018
I enjoyed my job but not the people i worked with which made everyday life difficult. I was always very hard working even though it was never truly appreciated.
Good
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex25 August 2018
Friendly management, long rotas, training could be better. had to wear a hairnet, wasn't fond of that. Better safety procedures could be followed. Would work again
great introduction to the workplace.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire25 August 2018
As a 17 year old Christmas temp who knew nothing about the world of work, Debenhams was an amazing experience, my managers were friendly and helpful, the training was even sufficient for me to carry the knowledge on to further employment.
my only complaint as the administration of the place, i was there 3 months, and was never processed properly on the system, my payslips were only given to me after i finished my contract, and i never received the official induction.
however, this was honestly an amazing job, its been two years since i started and i still wish they would re employ me! xx
Pros
the team and training
Cons
administration.
Old fashioned owners/ management. maintenance job.
TSA (Former Employee) –  Southsea, Hampshire25 August 2018
Debs, Southsea is a very old building but leaky damp rooms are simply locked off for good, they are happy to call out a contractor from London to repair a simple toilet flush (after 6 months but don't want the only maintenance guy to repair it, just want him to carry out endless paperwork.

It's not a skilled job in tsa/ maintenance. You're just a contractor caller and fire door checker, bring your own tools and watch out that security don't think you are stealing your own tools so mark then all up.

Maintenance job is gone now , thank God I left and got a better position. 'Visuals team , all sacked now, that's why the window displays are non existent nowadays.

As a loss prevention/ security person told me.... it's an old fashioned company run by old minds, endless funereal black signs everywhere telling staff what to do, like Communist Russia, a ridiculous atmosphere. : (
Pros
It's just a job, people move on quickly though.
Cons
Awful atmosphere for the youngsters, pressure on them to sell loyalty cards.
work culture
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 August 2018
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
work you to the bone
demotivating
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire24 August 2018
Nothing you do is appreciated, training and communication is poor, pressure is very high, end up staying for the people not the place.Treated as a number on a payroll not a person
Pros
people, discount
Cons
management, communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.