Debenhams Employee Reviews

Debenham was a good starting job.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford22 February 2018
Debenhams was good to work for as it was my first job and introduced me to the working life. I was taught how to cash up and put stock out and speak to customers.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
only weekends available
Christmas time
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sutton21 February 2018
I was a Christmas Temp so I can’t say much. Colleagues were great and helped me a lot. Had fun working there while it lasted and the pay was good so can’t complain.
Fair and straight forward
Part time sales assistant (Former Employee) –  glasgow, Scotland21 February 2018
Very fair and understanding job when it came to any issues with shifts. Hardest part of the job was when an angry customer would come in. Would try to calm them down and break down the problem. The most enjoyable part was working as a team to complete a task.
Made redundandant
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Leicester, Mansfield, Derby21 February 2018
Made redundant after 7 yes , worked through all management levels to top level,
Worked in 4 stores across midlands for career progression , opportunities to learn other roles & positions
Pros
Promotion opportunities
Great environment and people
Sales Assistant/Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 February 2018
I generally leazed between the shop floor and the stockroom serving customers at the till and also stock replenishing. helping customers with any query they and looking for items and sizes that might not of been on the shop floor.
Pros
Great area
Cons
Debenhams is a good workplace to be in. The staff are all good, and we all work as one team.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrow20 February 2018
My typical at work is a busy day. I enjoy working with my team, due to my job role I would say the hardest thing is dealing with the shoplifters. I get along well with my management team, and work very closely with the store manager to carry out all health and safety of the store customers and staff. I feel I have gained a lot of experience in my job in lots of different aspects. In my opinion Debenhams is a productive place to work and a fun place to work, I have a great team that I work with and we all get along very well.
Pros
My team of staff are brilliant to work with and we all get along great.
Cons
Dealing with shoplifters and the dangers this potentially carries.
Fun experiance
Food Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 February 2018
It's a good workplace, I feel the only thing missing is giving customer advisors more appreciation and making the work place more competitive. It is fun, the customers are around middle age to old age so they are lovely. Add a small amount of commission etc and you have yourself a competitive work place.
Pros
Company discount, and other perks.
Cons
Unstable work times depending on depsrtment.
A very silly application, gave up in the end.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy18 February 2018
I spent a wasted hour filling an on line application form, full of silly questions, so I gave up before the end, as I thought working for them would be just as silly.
Pros
Cons
Very silly application form
Frustrating and poorly run
Stock Movement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire17 February 2018
I found Debenhams to have been an extremely frustrating place to work. The main reason for this was the constantly changing structure of our team with mangers changing every year and cut backs that meant the team was halfed in size. I found the support network was also very poor from management, who preferred to sit upstairs in the office, and were not very sympathetic or understanding of staff concerns, an example being when I asked to change my hours and was told they no longer did 4 day contracts for the hours I asked for even though other staff members were on those days and hours. I also felt that stock movement was the red headed step child of the store with shop floor staff getting all the recognition including incentive prices and winning employe of the month which was handled very biasedly via a face book page where all the person's friends at the store nominated for them!
The biggest issue I had though was with the condition of the store, especially the stock rooms which had crumbling ceilings (part of one actually collapsed) constant leaks, floor tiles and carpets that hadn't been repaired, poor lighting, no heating and asbestos.
One saving grace though was that most of the workers there were really nice, such a shame that the management wasn't better at looking after both the staff and store
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
Poor pay, awful management, bad working conditions
Enjoyable
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk16 February 2018
I enjoyed working here for my first job but needed something closer to where I lived as it was only a weekend job. Staff were very pleasant and willing to help.
Great Teamwork
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 February 2018
Managers are very helpful. The salary is too low! They don't give you much teaching . It is more on you to learn. Good place to work though. Good teamwork.
positive work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy14 February 2018
fair and flexible work place easy to know your availability, although the pay isn't great for a large money making department store, overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
6 week holiday
Cons
discrimination on age and pay
Nice people, shame about the management
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire12 February 2018
Debenhams was a steady pace environment where i worked with lovely people and got to be face to face with the public in a positive way, it's just a shame each store has around 7 managers and as they say 'too many cooks'. Most of the time we got told contradiciting info and held responsible for management mess ups or slow customer days, and some seasoned managers were even clueless about how the actual store ran.
The sales advisers though were all the best and if one thing debenhams does well is that it employs similar people so (most of) everyone gets on really well.
The company itself though doesn't seem to know which way is up and the practices became confusing and convoluted and quite frankly tedious as they got rid of doing actual work and tasks so every shift felt like 6+ hrs of sticking my thumb somewhere.
Overall i liked the job and place but more so my colleagues.
Pros
Nice staff and nice customers
Cons
Confused management style that not even managers seem to know
Sales Advisor
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe10 February 2018
I was fortunate to secure a temporary Christmas position as a sales advisor on the Ground floor and then was kept on for one month on a temporary basis as a sales advisor on the First floor.
Awful management, but great colleagues
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2018
Above says a lot. Managers are extremely rude. The benefits are none existent. The company is going down the drain. Really just don't bother unless desperate for work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management and Debenhams Cards
Fun atmosphere
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire7 February 2018
Friendly atmosphere. Push Debenhams card a lot. All day. You can progress there though. Its generally a nice place to work but just be prepared to take the constant Debenhams card talk.
Pros
People who work there and nice customers
Cons
Shifts
Aweful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silverburn, Glasgow6 February 2018
Horrible company to work for. You need to take a credit card/gift card out to get you’re discount as well. Management sucks. Departments don’t work as a team. Store management are too busy trying to roll out new incentives instead of actually focusing on what staff REALLY want. The managing staff are too disconnected from the sales advisors. Salary is rubbish and (in the silverburn store) there is no overtime available anymore due to budget cuts because management keep overspending every year and make the same mistakes all the time. Management understaff each department all the time to try and save money but still expect you to do the work of 10 people with only 3 in. Overall, the people you work with will become your best friends BUT it doesn’t take away from how draining and degrading it is to work in the store.
Pros
Staff become best friends
Cons
Everything above and more
Good
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester6 February 2018
I enjoyed working here as a menswear sales advisor. Felt like I was always on the go so the time went quite quickly and I met lots of new people. The store since I worked there has been done out.
Very good here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bromley6 February 2018
I think its a great place to work at, my colleagues were very helpful if I didn't know the answer to a customer's question, they were always on hand to help. The management were very helpful too, I was always on time to work and the work i had to was mainly very easy.

The most difficult part of the job was having a few rude customers to deal with.

The best part of my job was that i got on with everyone i had great relationships with customers and colleagues.
Pros
Short Hours, Nice customers
Cons
Poor pay, only minimum wage
Awful company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 February 2018
Every day consists of "we need X number of accounts and emails today." All the company cares about is conning customers into getting their rip off master card.

The amount of complaints we get from customers saying we're too pushy is ignored. If a customer is reading this, sorry we have a metaphorical gun to our heads forcing us to do so, if not we lose our jobs!

If there's ever an issue that's not your fault, Managers will NEVER take your side, they will belittle you in front of customers.

General morale is very low with staff leaving due to stress and depression! The environment in store is either too hot or too cold depending on the time of year. Manager will say air conditioning isn't working (but will work in their offices) just to save the company money.
Pros
Adds to cv
Cons
Hours are changed without notice, understaffed, minimum wage, staff card is a credit card, rude management, awful environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.