David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

Not welcoming at all looks can be deceiving
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey19 October 2018
Two faced managers and lying of how good the company is a regular occurrence, promises of expansion and job opportunities but these are generally false promises for most. The department managers/directors should be ashamed of theirselves for the treatment of its staff.

It’s very clicky and the office lot often order pizza and coffee and don't allow any other departments to join in or bond. Senior Managers can't do a simple rota which leave alot of very unhappy staff plus they will manipulate the rota to suit their personal lives and whats is best for there "Friends and Favorites" so we suffer.

Managers are self-obsessed with hitting unrealistic targets and the workers suffer, if you say something you are singled out and attacked like a pack of wolfs and you are and will be made out to be a liar at any costs.Management bangs on about how the rules need to be stuck too, yet they are the ones who bend the rules to please people.
The help you receive is laughable at best and if it doesn't suit them then it simply doesn't happen.

Don't be fooled into thinking you have opportunities to progress in the company, these are held for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role. They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human
  more... being as far as they are concerned. I can remember literally crawling out of the end of my shifts on numerous occasions as i was just so tired I could never use their facilities not even for a simple swim/gym again as I was just too tired after my shifts.

This saddens me to write this, i was in tears after i was unfairly dismissed for something i didn't do there and then later banned form there site.

I never write bad reviews but I feel that this is a must.
Pros
Free membership but too tired to use them
Cons
the place is a con
F&B supervisor
F&B Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London7 October 2018
Expected to do overtime without pay, simply put if you face fits you'll be okay. No work life balance at all. One perk was the people I worked with. Walk in and be expected to pick up everything with more or less no support from upper management who were more concerned about fudging targets to get there bonus. Zero training provided with no career progression. Free gym membership but with no time or want to use it
Pros
Work colleagues in same situation
Cons
Upper management and career structure
Death by David Lloyd members
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London4 October 2018
They put out an ad for ' Food & Beverage Team Member', but what they actually want is a professional slave to the trade. Or rather to its members. DONT ever work here if you have low self-esteem; because I guarantee you will be attacked for many, many reasons; by members who forget they're in Enfield and instead, think they've stepped into The Ritz.

You're expected to be a babysitter to their wild children and a robot who functions like lightning - when management only puts 2 workers in the cafe max (with no regards to how busy it gets, especially when members all come to the till at once after a class).

And amongst all this, you have to hear constant moans from them of "unacceptable service at a premier club" - when they dont get their way.

You wont be able to escape them, as they will be back everyday and test your sanity.

But as bad as it is from the members, the worst part is treatment you get from COLLEAGUES in other departments. It feels like being back at school with cliques and they're just as terrible as members with their whininess. Doesn't feel like you're part of a team at all.

Shame they way this place looks doesn't resonate with the people in it.
Pros
Decor and interior design
Cons
An endless list
Good Job
kids coach (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 September 2018
The job is excellent for sports enthusiasts, there are many different departments for different experience and needs. Everyone works together, although the staff turn over can be high.
I loved david lloyd
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  belfast10 September 2018
really good place to work however no work life balance,

your taught to cover all positions of the facility.
so day to day differs,

i learnt so much at david lloyd made lots of friends and very loved the staff and members.

the hardest part of the job is long unsociable hours,
Fun place to work at, a lot to learn
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Finchley, Greater London23 August 2018
It’s an amazing place to work at, I developed a lot of new skills there working with customer and I was able to utilise my existing skills as well. There is a lot of support available for everyone and I am proud to say that I was able to make use of all of that during my time at David Lloyd.
A MASSIVE lack of support and recognition, staff are just numbers and are unimportant to those in Head Office.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 August 2018
A few of my responsibilities were as follows

Maintaining the pool/spa and ensuring all checks and any maintenance issues were completed, Oversaw H&S policies were being adhered to, recording and monitoring all costs relating to my targets and budgets, reviewed PMV and PPM works ensuring certificates were up to date and available

I was expected to work over my contracted hours without any overtime pay and give up days off if necessary. The Hierarchy make decisions from the top but never visit or ask for feedback from the staff that it has affected. The only positive i can extract from my time at DL is the friendships i have made.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Long Hours, bad pay, uncaring
Had the most fun working here - met friends for life
Children's Activity Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Epsom8 August 2018
This was a very busy environment to work in with never a dull moment. I learnt how to best manage timetables and activities and take on the responsibility for the clubs family facilities.

The hardest part of the job was relying of staff to be committed and punctual for classes.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the friends I made and the added benefit of free gym membership at a prestigious health club for me and my family.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
staff turnover
Not a nice place to work at all
Chef and kitchen porter & maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield3 August 2018
Horrible place to work. Undervalued and pushed there staff way to hard bullied staff into working more hours with no benefits or incentives and would overlook lower staff members being bullied and threatened by mangers (and that was at the hed office branch) made me extremely ill due to stress and other things and then fired me when I made a complaint to the DM
Pros
Some great team members
Cons
Horrible managers and too much pressure
Embarrassing
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter2 August 2018
Terrible working environment, unorganised and constant lack of respect and support from general manager. Understaffed majority of the time and staff turnover embarrassingly high. I witnessed on too many occasions staff breaking down into tears because they just could not cope and I watched while general manager continued to do nothing other than blame his hardworking staff. Since I have left it has just continued to go downhill. It really is a shame because it’s a brilliant club with great facilities and amazing, friendly staff.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
General manager
Disapointing
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey1 August 2018
Management was poorly run. Staff not treated equally or fairly with respect.

Clients and job role itself fantastic as a personal trainer just poorly managed
Terrible work life balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Narborough23 July 2018
Awful place to work, only good thing is the team members. General Manager definitely has his favourites and it shows. Job makes you ill and the company couldn't care less.
Cons
Long hours, treated like dirt
Fun
Food and Beverage Training Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire18 July 2018
Management are helpful. Great place to work and make friends. There are lots of opportunities to develop in your role or move to a different department.
Depends on location
General Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh15 July 2018
Great company however all clubs very different depending on location. Labour is very tight and does cause a lot of turnover. Facilities great. Good benefits to work there.
A nice atmosphere and friendly staff
FOOD AND BEVERAGE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Heslington3 July 2018
As David Lloyd is a gym, the customers are regulars and are therefore often very friendly with the staff. The position included keeping the restaurant tidy and clean, taking orders, operating the espresso machine, opening and closing the restaurant, cashing up the tills.
Fun and ambitious
Group Corporate Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  London26 June 2018
Fun workplace
Ambitious and constantly growing organically and acquisitively
Solid and productive PE management
Great CEO and CFO - understand the business
Free membership!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire23 June 2018
Best thing about working at DL is the free membership, make sure you get your usage! The company pay okay however often under pay, and want you to wait until the month after to get paid.
okay place to work
Kids Sports Coach (Former Employee) –  Finchley20 June 2018
can be a stressful place to work sometimes but when its not stressful it was a nice place to work and the clients made it an interesting work environment.
Pros
free gym memberhsip
Cons
no time to switch off from work
Good bar experience
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheam19 June 2018
Worked in food and beverage, day to day tasks involved working around the bar and restaurant area, worked with good colleagues and overall the job was a good experience
One of the worst places
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ringwood, Hampshire10 June 2018
Worst management ever and extremely unprofessional, Otium services (the company you work for if a cleaner here) are a joke, been rubbish and no help since very first day. Only good thing was the money but even then it's only minimum wage. Pathetic excuse for a company. Glad to not work for them anymore.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Lloyd Leisure. Our community is ready to answer.