David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

Not the best
Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 January 2019
Poor pay, poorly treated and bad management. my first manager was great but then he left due to being poorly treated and bad pay and then my second manager was awful and i left 2 weeks before she got the sack
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
poor pay, poor management
Fabulous place to work!
Marketing Executive (contractor) (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire2 January 2019
I absolutely loved working for Davis Lloyd but I cannot afford to any longer as the contract is poorly paid.

They include DL membership for all employees, contract or otherwise which is great. Also receive a discount on food and beverage.

The management are great, there is a great culture and hardly any office politics as a result. I loved working in the marketing team as everyone was a team player and there were no hidden agendas.
Pros
Great culture and membership to all clubs
Cons
Pay was poor
love this job
coach (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom17 December 2018
love it here, pay and management are good. work culture is amazing as everyone gets on so well and is so friendly. hours are good and the job overall is extremely fun and rewarding.
Awful place to work avoid at all times.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  England14 December 2018
The company is based around managers promoting people they get on with and not the people who deserve it. I joined the company with the intentions to progress which I was promised when starting and within a year I hadn't been sent on 1 course. They'll do anything to make to work more hours and not pay you for them. The management don't set a good example of how to act as they spent the majority of their time flirting with staff and smoking outside. If you have a problem they'll give you a sarcastic answer and continue to be rude to you too. Your job is never secure either as you'll consistently see them putting up jobs on indeed when they've got a full team.

In terms of life balance they couldn't care less about your personal life commitments, they'll try to make you work every weekend and finish late on the majority of days.

The only enjoyable part of the job is that you get a free gym membership and you get a +1 for a friend or family (if they pass you on your probation).

Overall I would say avoid this company if you are looking to have a personal life and you're looking to progress within a job role.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no progression and poor management
poor place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey8 December 2018
I have never written a bad review but now this a first. Your first day you not even given uniform so you have to lifeguard in your own clothes, treated at the bottom of the social barrel, punching bags for the managers you say something your made out to be a liar, I was unfairly dismissed for something i didn't do then they used my probation as an excuse to get rid of me. I strongly advise anyone to avoid this company there utterly insane.

Advise to management

I know currently work for one of the top leading heath clubs in Surrey and can tell you now you are way off and out of their league big time!!! take some responsibility and accept fault not try and pass blame to others and treat staff with respect. You can do really well but you won't listen
Pros
I left them all
Cons
The business is a con
such a great place to work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Bushey, UK3 December 2018
i really recommend working for David Lloyd leisure. The benefits of working there are amazing, e.g., getting to use their private facilities whenever you want. Its a very close knit family between staff which makes coming into work even better.
Great Place
F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire2 December 2018
In management. Place has great people investment.
Free membershio for yourself and family/friend. If you have kids they are all free memebers too.
Discounts on everything in Club and through benefits.
Contract no zero hour & above minimum wage.
Very forward thinking company that listen to staff.

Has its ups and downs but when you've had a bad day you can dip in heated outdoor pool, sauna & jaccuzi or burn off stress in a gym class.

Seems fair enough to me.
Pros
Free membership for family, career for life
Cons
Corporate business can be challenging
Never again
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey20 November 2018
Working here has been the worst, underpaid, undervalued and never appreciated. I see so many staff from different departments come and go with in a short time. They will dismiss you for pretty much anything and i was one of the few that got unfairly dismissed then later banned from there site. It's like managers enjoy getting rid of people for the fun of it and it makes them feel powerful.

Could never use the facilities as i was too tired after my shifts even for a swim/gym.

All im going to say is no matter how desperate you are for work, looking to go into leisure and progression AVOID this place at all costs I have now got a better job OUTSIDE of the company and couldn't be happier
Pros
not even going to bother
Cons
this company is a con
Worst company ever.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Chigwell, Essex15 November 2018
All I can think of is that the people giving 5 stars on here are related to David Lloyd! The sales team are taught CHALLENGER which is a hard sell bullying pitch which you are expected to use on every potential member. Mystery shoppers are sent out to ensure you are using this sales method and if not you will then be denied your monthly commission. You are expected to work unpaid overtime to reach an unrealistic target ( not achievable within your normal working hours). The last day of the month is a 12 hour working day and you are rewarded with a bag of sweets or slice of pizza for putting this time in. In a team of five only one was paid commission due to minor things missing...a baby photo which could not be taken as the Camara was always broken. David Lloyd are pocketing thousands of pounds all over the country due to this rule while paying low basic wages. Favouritism is rife and rules are bent if your face fits. Employees throughout the whole club do nothing but moan about the way they are treated. The staff break room is filthy with a stinky antiquated dangerous fridge. Steer clear of working here.
Pros
Gym membership/ but you can never book into a class!
Cons
Unachievable targets within normal work time
Stepping stone
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bushey, Hertfordshire13 November 2018
I feel this position could only be used as a stepping stone, there was no career advancement and management where employed based on whether or not they were liked rather than skills.
Pros
free membership
Cons
hours, management, work/home life balance, pay
The worst company to work for
Accounts (Current Employee) –  Head office9 November 2018
Might be different in the different departments, but my team is probably the worst in the entire company. Very, very poor manager selection (the worst I've ever seen), poor employee selection, unqualified staff and overall poor work ethics and culture.
The majority of the staff in head office cares more about working out, rather than working, hence why many of the operations are in disarray and the people working at the clubs are not happy and not looked after.
It is a common occurrence for an employee to be more capable and qualified than their manager, so if you are one of those you will not be appreciated and will rarely progress.

Training is very poorly conducted, so it doesn't start well for the average person. This affects all teams.

Office is a dungeon (literally) and poorly equipped, very noisy too.

If you need HR support don't bother - very inadequate.

Salaries are bad and bonuses should not be advertised at all as are rarely paid out.

No measurable benefits.

Try and avoid David Lloyd, it is definitely not a good choice for any ambitious person plus their future isn't bright.
Pros
Cannot think of any
Cons
Weak managers, bad working ethics, degrading environment, very poor equipment in office.
Best Job I’ve been lucky enough to have.
Club Lounge Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole7 November 2018
David Lloyd Exeter is by far the best place I’ve ever had the pleasure to work.

Incredible work benefits also management were very approachable and always looked out for us.
Staff exploitation.
Lead Coach (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey2 November 2018
David Lloyd is the epitome of human exploitation. They work their staff to the bone whilst paying them pennies, on a work pattern that guarantees you working at least 3 weekends a month. The job role you’re employed to do is what you’ll end up doing the least, as the “management” will always pull you away to help boost sales in the areas which earn the most money (the restaurant). I was employed as a Lead PT Coach, yet 80% of my time there was spent washing/collecting dishes.

Trust me, no matter how desperate for work you are, avoid this place at all costs.
Pros
Free membership (the only Pro)
Cons
Disgusting pay, unbearable work hours/patters, terrible management.
Disgusting, vile and attrocious
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey24 October 2018
I heard working here was bad but i thought i would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Very stressful place to work and should have a health warning on all jobs advertised. Two faced managers and lying of how good the company is a regular occurrence, promises of expansion and job opportunities but these are generally false promises for most. The department managers/directors should be ashamed of their selves for the treatment of its staff.

The way they treat the lifeguards is absolutely disgusting, they look down on us like were the bottom of the pecking order despite us working the hardest, the longest and being paid the lowest. We cover everything from complaints, abusive members, first aid, cleaning, lane control and every bit of rubbish that gets dished out at us. It’s like managers can dish out jobs to us just for the fun of it. The turnover rate is incredibly high as people who work there for 3 months are just too tired and exhausted to continue.
it’s very clicky and the office lot often order pizza and coffee and don't allow any other departments to join in or bond.

They promise you training which is all lies so you can work hard for them, breach human/employments rights, managers treat you like dirt, under pay you constantly, lazy line managers where most of the staff do their jobs the minute you stand up to them they threaten you with the sack. During my time I was spoken to like an idiot and in a patronizing way never felt so worth less in my life.

more... you are singled out and attacked like a pack of wolfs and you are and will be made out to be a liar at any costs.

Beware!!!! This place WILL make you SICK if you work there, you will not receive any help. More to the point departments is run by people who will try and put all their friends in posts rather than people who have the right skills so there is no progression if you’re not in the click.

They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human being as far as they are concerned. I can remember on nearly all occasions crawling out of work as i was so tired that I could never use their facilities not even for a simple swim/gym as I was just too tired after my shifts. I never write bad reviews but this is a definite must.

I was unfairly dismissed for something i didn't do then later banned from there site, i would NOT RECOMMEND working here as you will be used and abused by them and they take no responsibility.

It's a shame for such a prestigious company they would have the knowledge and skills to 1 take responsibility for there mistakes and 2 treat people properly and not try and pass the blame to others and bully people.

Many will think im lying but i can assure you im very serious.
Pros
Free membership but to exhausted to use them
Cons
an endless list
Not welcoming at all looks can be deceiving
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey19 October 2018
Two faced managers and lying of how good the company is a regular occurrence, promises of expansion and job opportunities but these are generally false promises for most. The department managers/directors should be ashamed of theirselves for the treatment of its staff.

It’s very clicky and the office lot often order pizza and coffee and don't allow any other departments to join in or bond. Senior Managers can't do a simple rota which leave alot of very unhappy staff plus they will manipulate the rota to suit their personal lives and whats is best for there "Friends and Favorites" so we suffer.

Managers are self-obsessed with hitting unrealistic targets and the workers suffer, if you say something you are singled out and attacked like a pack of wolfs and you are and will be made out to be a liar at any costs.Management bangs on about how the rules need to be stuck too, yet they are the ones who bend the rules to please people.
The help you receive is laughable at best and if it doesn't suit them then it simply doesn't happen.

Don't be fooled into thinking you have opportunities to progress in the company, these are held for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role. They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human
  more... being as far as they are concerned. I can remember literally crawling out of the end of my shifts on numerous occasions as i was just so tired I could never use their facilities not even for a simple swim/gym again as I was just too tired after my shifts.

This saddens me to write this, i was in tears after i was unfairly dismissed for something i didn't do there and then later banned form there site.

I never write bad reviews but I feel that this is a must.
Pros
Free membership but too tired to use them
Cons
the place is a con
F&B supervisor
F&B Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London7 October 2018
Expected to do overtime without pay, simply put if you face fits you'll be okay. No work life balance at all. One perk was the people I worked with. Walk in and be expected to pick up everything with more or less no support from upper management who were more concerned about fudging targets to get there bonus. Zero training provided with no career progression. Free gym membership but with no time or want to use it
Pros
Work colleagues in same situation
Cons
Upper management and career structure
Death by David Lloyd members
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London4 October 2018
They put out an ad for ' Food & Beverage Team Member', but what they actually want is a professional slave to the trade. Or rather to its members. DONT ever work here if you have low self-esteem; because I guarantee you will be attacked for many, many reasons; by members who forget they're in Enfield and instead, think they've stepped into The Ritz.

You're expected to be a babysitter to their wild children and a robot who functions like lightning - when management only puts 2 workers in the cafe max (with no regards to how busy it gets, especially when members all come to the till at once after a class).

And amongst all this, you have to hear constant moans from them of "unacceptable service at a premier club" - when they dont get their way.

You wont be able to escape them, as they will be back everyday and test your sanity.

But as bad as it is from the members, the worst part is treatment you get from COLLEAGUES in other departments. It feels like being back at school with cliques and they're just as terrible as members with their whininess. Doesn't feel like you're part of a team at all.

Shame they way this place looks doesn't resonate with the people in it.
Pros
Decor and interior design
Cons
An endless list
Fun sixth form job
Kids Coach (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
Good place of work, with lovely people on the team and working in the gym. Slight management issues. Benefits include a free gym membership, so very worthwhile job.
Pros
Gym membership
Good Job
kids coach (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 September 2018
The job is excellent for sports enthusiasts, there are many different departments for different experience and needs. Everyone works together, although the staff turn over can be high.
I loved david lloyd
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  belfast10 September 2018
really good place to work however no work life balance,

your taught to cover all positions of the facility.
so day to day differs,

i learnt so much at david lloyd made lots of friends and very loved the staff and members.

the hardest part of the job is long unsociable hours,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Lloyd Leisure. Our community is ready to answer.