David Lloyd Leisure
Information from David Lloyd Leisure:

David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

United Kingdom370 reviews
very stressful robotic
awful can not have a break if you do you are looked down on management do not care about you at all you are expected to have no life on the outside rota is always last min so you cant make plans simply awful.
You wanna be a Pt you’ll never make what you deserve
With change in management when I was there, it had 2 sides some where I learnt a lot and progressed massively to somewhere I was made to feel unwelcome and truth is they will only ever care about how much money they make David Lloyd and not you
fun
fun place to work very fast pace always short staff but very good people to work with. all depend on how good your manager I experienced 3 different managers couple were lazy
fun work place
I used to work at this out standing club , people think that getting job there is really lucky , however there were discriminations (at least for me) . I had few clients as the club was a quiet club with very few members , I was told that I had to work 8 hours for free in order to get private lessons .
new members were recommended to get lesson not with new coaches thus the club was fames of keep getting new tennis coaches as they constantly come to club and after while left due to lack of clients.
Friendly staff, good place to work
Friendly staff, management are always available to help. Good friendly atmosphere, keen to encourage you to gain more experience and quailifications.
As a tennis coach it was a flexible work environment with friendly staff and a good work to life balance. if any tennis coaches are looking to work there I would recommend it
Stressful and demanding
I worked for DL for 17 years in the beginning when it was owned by Whitbread it was exceptionally joyful to work there but then they sold it and it became a place where only keeping shareholders happy.
Fast paced
good company to work for just need a change very fast paced and interesting with good training. General processing of memberships and continuing on the job training to deliver insights and sales techniques .
Fun and Exciting
David Lloyd is a great place to work if you are interested in the leisure centre environment. With the best facilities to offer, it really stands out.
I would not choose to work here again
One vet's lied to all the way, and experience and dedication is not valued here, management puts a mask of caring but behind the scenes only care about bonuses at cost of minimum wage staff and their own salary.
Started by the job being advertised as kitchen assistant and you end up as chef so not the same level of work nor responsability but I suppose it hides being underpaid as a chef.

Been here over a while yet continue to receive minimum wage...I mean like 9p above minimum wage, but dropped at deep end trained in job by colleagues who left and now I train others yet pay unchanged...always lacking stuff from pans, cleaning stuff, PPE and much more...well I won't list all...but yeah not worthy one can get paid same or more pushing trolleys at supermarket...peace
5 star all the way *****
Amazing company friends for life like an extended family full of fun yet great learning opportunity the company help you with lots of courses and really learn so much in little time .
You would miss it if didnt have it
absolutely appalling.
when i started, multiple team members were leaving including management of
the department. i ended up with a temporary supervisor who’s english was poor and attitude was appalling. when she quit because the job made her depressed, we ended up with 2 new people, one supervisor and one manager who both didn’t stay past probation because the company was a shambles. we then got a new manager who is someone that worked elsewhere in the club. he spent the whole remainder of the time i was there trying to fix all the mistakes from previous mangers while sucking up to the new general manager we had but in the meanwhile forgot to treat his staff with respect. multiple f&b assistants left including me and are feeling much better since
Its a job
7 years here previously, worked my socks off, trained to be a chef alone, since current chefs constantly on cigarette breaks....never really had qualifications, but became better than them & head chef whilst studying. Once studying done, its a secure job. But hard work, but thats hospitality for you!
Tricky bit with worthing branch & likely all, all targets are Unachievable. I wouldn’t eat there. Enough said. This was many years ago now mind. Managers change, owners change.
Collaborative workplace
Working over the summer showed an increase in customers so working was very hectic. The pools were often shut down so handling difficult customers happened on a daily basis. However, there was a lot of support to make sure the lifeguards were safe and kept well.
Fast paced but fun
Enjoyed my time working there, they have great employee benefits and flexible shift patterns.
My role was in the kitchen making lovely David Lloyd menu food. Designed to meet everyone's needs with healthy eating choices highlighted.
Productive, fast pace
Fantastic place to work. Enjoyed the role very much. Friendly management team, always willing to be flexible when possible. The job provides all the training you need.
Horrible place to work
Worst company I've ever worked for. I basically got driven out of my job by management. Not supportive at all, if you face any issues with personal things/mental health they basically don't want to know and will drive you out of your job as you're seen as 'incompetent '
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pay, no support, badly managed
Terrible employer
No support or training outside of a couple of days at the beginning. I met my target the first month but was told 3 days before the end of the month that my paperwork wasn't right so I never received any commission despite being there just one month and with no support or guidance from my manager-who surely should have been checking all my sign-ups as they were made. Massive pressure to sell the highest cost membership even if the customer wants just gym and swimming. If you don't want to be a stereotypical pushy car sales person then this isn't the place for you. Forget being customer focused or a generally decent person, this employer wants you to blag and push and if you are not prepared to do that then you are out with no notice-hopefully you don't have a family to support-this employer doesn't care and isn't prepared to coach, guide and grow you.
Better salary in council or University gyms
I waited 1 hour for the Sports Manager who had double-booked a team meeting at the time of my interview. I should have seen the warning signs there...

I was offered the job after initially being rejected, but the other candidate walked out within 2 weeks. I took the offer. At the time Personal Trainers start off on 40 hours on the gym floor for pretty much MINIMUM wages. You build your business with little or no help from the sales team or fitness/ sports managers.

Progression was favoured for those that got on with management. Shifts were planned on an awful Excel spreadsheet that could only be accessed in the club! The club used to keep 50 to 70% of your coaching income (and then you get taxed on top of that) and you only get paid if the client signs each individual voucher within a limited time period, other wise the client loses the session AND you don't get paid. I think that the new contracts were even less favourable for coaches who are injured (imagine breaking your leg and having to work so you don't lose your percentage of commission, which I add one of my colleagues even did, wearing an air boot with a broken ankle so he didn't lose his commission).

On a positive note, the facilities are good and you get free membership. There was however, a bullying culture from management and little appreciation for staff that have family commitments. I do hope that the management are fairer now.

Avoid avoid avoid. So many people quit fitness after working for David Lloyd, but don't lose hope, find your niche, your passion and good things will come! But not at a place
 - more...
Terrible company to work for!
Incompetent general manager, no real passion for their members just cared about getting the bonus in which you’d work hard all year round for but if 1 department fails you all fail! No benefits given, or appraisals and the same people would always get recognition.
Pros
Cons
Bad team members, no passion
Employee health and safety is not a factor
I had death threats by a member at work and they let them carry on using the facility, yet I saw 6 members of staff fired cos they assumed they were under the influence of alcohol. They are all about money coming in and will claim they are a great employer when in reality they dont care.