David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

professional but fun environment
Lifeguard (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Twickenham15 April 2018
Working at David Lloyd as a lifeguard required specific skills such as concentration, professionalism and adhering to members' needs. The management at this workplace was very efficient and respectful, the employees and members were friendly and easy to communicate with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict cases and the most enjoyable was taking care of members and supporting them.
Pros
Positive environment
Great working environent
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire14 April 2018
Great people within the club! Brilliant company to work for plenty befefots such as free membership if you are a member of staff. Facilities are top of the range
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Boring job
Friendly place
Receptionist (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Hatfield13 April 2018
• Meeting and greeting clients
• Answering telephone calls
• Responsible for the distribution of post
• All administration duties where required
Temp for 2 weeks
Pros
Free Gym
The Free Membership was the best part of it
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London6 April 2018
Their biggest problem is their motto (pasted on the wall) - which is: members are our VIP. Every customer-based establishment has it's downfalls with patrons, but this truly is a joke. And the worst part is: it's condoned by the company. Don't expect managers to look out for you if you're getting verbally abused or put down as a human-being by DL members - because their cappuccino isn't hot enough.

I would describe this job as intense. It's like 'Hells Kitchen' on a bank holiday, half-terms or when football matches are on. And the company would rather use Tennis Coaches or Personal Trainers who are working on the day; to help out at the bar - as opposed to putting more Food &Beverage team members on the rota on a busy day (their budget saving scheme). The work truly is never-ending and way too much details to execute for hygiene + Health & Safety audits.

If you're working here full-time, prepare to not have a life outside of it. And it seems to get worse as you go higher up the ladder.

But if you feel all of this will be worth it for a free Leisure Club membership, go for it.
Pros
Free membership, some kind managers, different set-up to usual bar and restaurants (outdoor swimming pools)
Cons
RUDE members, some stuck up personal trainers, feels like working at Starbucks with the endless long queues for coffees
Nice to work there as nice people are there and like to have a chat
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire3 April 2018
There was very nice people there as they introduced me and was selling me what to expect and what I can be looking for in the future

I felt like I have made new friends there aswell as I got along with many people there and I like to make new friends where ever I go and try to make a good I’m to everyone
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Promotion opportunity - from slave to drone
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North West1 April 2018
Beware. The corporate vision and values at interview mean nothing when you actually start working here.
Ridiculous hours and shift times but with no extra pay or even thanks.
You're 'on call' via WhatsApp being expected to be able to cover for understaffing as they can't keep anyone - while the managers are only concerned about fiddling the happy smile scores on the tablet from the members.
I took a job down a salt mine instead and I'm way happier here.
Pros
I left
Cons
I have understated how bad the managers are.
Poor overall management of staff on probation period
Sales Consultant - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Dundee City28 March 2018
Let go from my probation period with no prior warning or advice on what I can do to be better. Sales manager was very poor at her job didnt handle situations very well. Showed a lot of favouritism towards her pals in the office. Rules didnt apply to everyone. She gave herself the best shifts so she could leave early everyday and made sure her pal was on the same shift as her.
Cons
Staff selfish, rules dont apply to everyone, poor management
Underappreciated. Underpaid. Underwhelmed.
PT (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire25 March 2018
Premium club but treat staff like you're working at a budget gym.
You have to work 12 days 6 days a week to make any money.
But your shifts are dictated by management so you can't get a routine and end up burning out hence the the turnover....
Cons
Hours, Pay, Management.
swim coach (Current Employee) –  Paisley24 March 2018
works around uni hours and small hours with good pay. The most enjoyable thing about working for David Lloyd is that it is a happy and friendly working environment filled with supportive staff who are considerate of your other commitments in life e.g. uni.
Pros
Free Gym membership, 40% discount in the cafe, Discount for friends and family on gym memberships, works around uni and college hours, short working hours.
Awful place.
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex22 March 2018
Completely pushy company. Bullied by manager to get false feedback and false welcomes to the club all the time. Promised 101 things when I joined the club and the only thing that followed through was the free membership. The values and expectations of their staff from this business are a lie.

Working on shift with an under 18 who should take a break every 4hrs of her shift, she was constantly told that she wasn't allowed a break. Massively against the law but nobody in that building cared! Pregnant workers made to walk about on shift even after doc note bad back issues and still the big bosses in their offices still make the poor girl suffer through every long shift she's made to do. I have never work for such a poorly run company.
Pros
Membership
Cons
Awful management!
Great place to work!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 March 2018
A typical day at work could be managed by yourself. You had to plan your daily activities to make sure that you met your KPI's. I learned all about the Health and Fitness industry and was also trained on Reception. I attended varies Sales courses and was trained to learn many different Sales tactics. The management was lovely, very fair and they didn't put pressure on you. The workplace culture was great, everyone got on with everyone and they were always will to support you. The hardest part of the job I felt was meeting the sales targets as they were often very high. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers achieve their goals and to feel good about themselves.
Pros
Free use of the gym
A Great Place to work! With lots of benefits
Swimming Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire7 March 2018
A fantastic company to work for with lots of added benefits too.Lovely facilities and staff/members.There's no better place to teach swimming and the swimming programme is the best in the area with offering great value for money!
unfriendly
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hatfield6 March 2018
The managers have a lot of pressure and pass this onto staff. The hours expected are ridiculous (40-70hrs/wk) with a low pay. Many members of staff were treated unfairly and used for the company.
Cleaning Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire5 March 2018
I cannot fault David Lloyd as an employer. Its hard work but the praise you get from managers are great if you work hard. The staff are very friendly.
Pros
Free family membership.
Sad place to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  South West London, Greater London4 March 2018
Managers here are rude and up themselves.

The majority of them have no educational background and they love to sit around and gossip about other colleagues, particularly the ones they feel that are below them.

Whilst offering a free gym membership, it is so uncomfortable to workout as they look at you funny. Not to mention that if I did an 8 hour shift + use their gym, for an hour, that means I'd be in this lion den for a total of 9 hours.

They are not flexible with time and the staff turnover is high.

I would never recommend this place to work for. The salary is totally a low too and the atmosphere is completely boring.

Just remembering working here gives me wet socks.

The most enjoyable part of the job is ever having a colleague be real with you.
Pros
I'm still alive
Cons
The company itself
Friendly
Member assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham25 February 2018
I work long time ago great friends work With i did enjoy there, job wise was helping out other departments n deal with customers keep them all happy..
David Loyd fantastic, Contracted cleaning company very poor
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Gloucester14 February 2018
Relaxed work atmosphere, very busy job constantly cleaning and spot checking also very customer focused. David Loyd management are brilliant fun friendly fun and positive. The contract cleaning company who are responsible for housekeeping/cleaning department (my department) are not very understanding with staff who may have other commitments such as other jobs or a one time a year illness and pay is on time but expect to be asked to show documents numerous times as they seem to lose them!
Pros
free use of the facilities in the club.
Cons
very late finishes, very early starts
Growing Company
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 February 2018
I have developed throughout David Lloyd Clubs and its has taught me a lot. The business continues to grow and offer new opportunities for its employees.
great internal benefits only
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bolton9 February 2018
Great internal benefits such as 40% off food and drinks and free gym membership for you and 1 other person. pay is not great and hours are not great. members are lovely and so are most of the staff but not worth the pay.
Pros
f&b discount
Cons
Pay and hours
Fun environment
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton6 February 2018
I have enjoyed my time working for DLL so far. By far the best managers I have had in any job role, in any workplace. You get your fair few awkward customers at the front desk (comes with any customer service role), who act very entitled and rude towards "the staff". But the managers at DLL Hamilton will always back you up, and make sure you're not taken for granted.
Pros
Free gym membership, 50% off food in house, additional discounts outwith the gym, etc
Cons
Awkward shift patterns, salary could be better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Lloyd Leisure. Our community is ready to answer.