David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

A MASSIVE lack of support and recognition, staff are just numbers and are unimportant to those in Head Office.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 August 2018
A few of my responsibilities were as follows

Maintaining the pool/spa and ensuring all checks and any maintenance issues were completed, Oversaw H&S policies were being adhered to, recording and monitoring all costs relating to my targets and budgets, reviewed PMV and PPM works ensuring certificates were up to date and available

I was expected to work over my contracted hours without any overtime pay and give up days off if necessary. The Hierarchy make decisions from the top but never visit or ask for feedback from the staff that it has affected. The only positive i can extract from my time at DL is the friendships i have made.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Long Hours, bad pay, uncaring
Not a nice place to work at all
Chef and kitchen porter & maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield3 August 2018
Horrible place to work. Undervalued and pushed there staff way to hard bullied staff into working more hours with no benefits or incentives and would overlook lower staff members being bullied and threatened by mangers (and that was at the hed office branch) made me extremely ill due to stress and other things and then fired me when I made a complaint to the DM
Pros
Some great team members
Cons
Horrible managers and too much pressure
Embarrassing
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter2 August 2018
Terrible working environment, unorganised and constant lack of respect and support from general manager. Understaffed majority of the time and staff turnover embarrassingly high. I witnessed on too many occasions staff breaking down into tears because they just could not cope and I watched while general manager continued to do nothing other than blame his hardworking staff. Since I have left it has just continued to go downhill. It really is a shame because it’s a brilliant club with great facilities and amazing, friendly staff.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
General manager
Disapointing
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey1 August 2018
Management was poorly run. Staff not treated equally or fairly with respect.

Clients and job role itself fantastic as a personal trainer just poorly managed
Terrible work life balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Narborough23 July 2018
Awful place to work, only good thing is the team members. General Manager definitely has his favourites and it shows. Job makes you ill and the company couldn't care less.
Cons
Long hours, treated like dirt
Fun
Food and Beverage Training Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire18 July 2018
Management are helpful. Great place to work and make friends. There are lots of opportunities to develop in your role or move to a different department.
Depends on location
General Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh15 July 2018
Great company however all clubs very different depending on location. Labour is very tight and does cause a lot of turnover. Facilities great. Good benefits to work there.
A nice atmosphere and friendly staff
FOOD AND BEVERAGE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Heslington3 July 2018
As David Lloyd is a gym, the customers are regulars and are therefore often very friendly with the staff. The position included keeping the restaurant tidy and clean, taking orders, operating the espresso machine, opening and closing the restaurant, cashing up the tills.
Fun and ambitious
Group Corporate Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  London26 June 2018
Fun workplace
Ambitious and constantly growing organically and acquisitively
Solid and productive PE management
Great CEO and CFO - understand the business
Free membership!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire23 June 2018
Best thing about working at DL is the free membership, make sure you get your usage! The company pay okay however often under pay, and want you to wait until the month after to get paid.
okay place to work
Kids Sports Coach (Former Employee) –  Finchley20 June 2018
can be a stressful place to work sometimes but when its not stressful it was a nice place to work and the clients made it an interesting work environment.
Pros
free gym memberhsip
Cons
no time to switch off from work
Good bar experience
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheam19 June 2018
Worked in food and beverage, day to day tasks involved working around the bar and restaurant area, worked with good colleagues and overall the job was a good experience
One of the worst places
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ringwood, Hampshire10 June 2018
Worst management ever and extremely unprofessional, Otium services (the company you work for if a cleaner here) are a joke, been rubbish and no help since very first day. Only good thing was the money but even then it's only minimum wage. Pathetic excuse for a company. Glad to not work for them anymore.
Management is Dreadful
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 June 2018
Management is absolutely shocking are very nice to your face then tell lies behind your back, would advise anyone not to work here. staff were the same but was a very fast turnover because of the mangers. The members within the roucken glen club are also too close to the staff causing alot of gossip and false rumours and staff and member relationships. staff also have been fired unfair by mangers including myself and nothing I could do could help my situation making me out to look worse than I am.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Food and prices are shocking
The worst
F&B Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom1 June 2018
This is the worst company I have ever worked for! if you want long hours without getting paid for it then this is the company for you. Managers do not help you in any way everyone is out for themselves. hours are being cut and we are expected to deliver 1st class service with minimum staff.
Pros
leaving at the end of the day
Cons
starting work
Positive
Lifeguard/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey16 May 2018
Love working there!

People are amazing! you can pick up extra hours if you need to
Easy to swap/cover shifts with people. Benefits are great
Members of the club are really nice
Brooklands have no idea how to take responsibility
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Brooklands8 May 2018
My time was short there as I was unfairly dismissed for leaving work at 18.00 with the rota clearly stating that i was on until 18.00. (1.30 mins Early) but the rota normally will say 19.30. They will take no responsibility for actions and they should all be ashamed of themselves.
During my time I was spoken to like an idiot and in a patronizing way never felt so worth less in my life. Managers are self-obsessed with hitting unrealistic targets and the workers suffer, if you say something you are singled out and attacked like a pack of wolfs and you are and will be made out to be a liar at any costs. Management bangs on about how the rules need to be stuck too, yet they are the ones who bend the rules to please people.
The help you receive is laughable at best and if it doesn't suit them then it simply doesn't happen. Don't be fooled into thinking you have opportunities to progress in the company, these are held for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role

Beware!!!! This place WILL screw you over l if you work there, you will not receive any help unless you are one of the chosen.
Its a shame that for a prestigious company that would have the skill set to admit "yes we mad a mistake we are sorry" instead of we messed up we'll blame the lifeguards instead.
Pros
Free membership but thats it
Cons
No empathy for staff low pay never appriciated and will throw you out if you make 1 mistake
Fun place but hard work
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea2 May 2018
Management have very expectations. You’re expected to juggle a lot to give great service. Ongoing budget reviews mean tight unrealistic performance is expected. Often go over hours contracted with no extra pay. Hideous pay increases, you give a lot and they expect more. Some great people to work with. Becomes a second home.
Pros
Membership
Cons
Pushed to the max.
Fun workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead15 April 2018
Repetitive work not always rewarding or exciting. Great colleagues but occasional poor management , little room for progression! Hours are flexible but will include very early starts and late finishes.
professional but fun environment
Lifeguard (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Twickenham15 April 2018
Working at David Lloyd as a lifeguard required specific skills such as concentration, professionalism and adhering to members' needs. The management at this workplace was very efficient and respectful, the employees and members were friendly and easy to communicate with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict cases and the most enjoyable was taking care of members and supporting them.
Pros
Positive environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Lloyd Leisure. Our community is ready to answer.