Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Productive Work Environment
NHS Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sidcup9 September 2019
There is always something new to learn on the NHS, challenged everyday as no two days are the same. The different tasks and situations allows you think of new ideas to help provide a most easy going and successful work place.
Varied, busy and satisfying
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Dartford19 November 2018
The actual role is interesting and varied, no two days are the same and each daily emergency is different from the last due to the different specialties withing the departments we each overlook. I have learnt a lot here, an improved understanding of purchase to pay systems in a large environment and the idiosyncrasies that arise within that framework. I've learnt to follow procurement best practice, audit requirements and how to deal with the more difficult aspects of the role. Patient care comes first and that inevitably that means managing some challenging situations and dealing with the pressure to resolve said situation without delay.
We have one manager within the department but are managed by GSTT, who took over our Procurement a year ago so we also have a procurement director, a sourcing director and an operations director as immediate hierarchy although they are based on another site.
The workplace culture can be pressurized and sometimes difficult due to low staffing levels and political constraints on budget, both of which combine to make the workload difficult to manage and the pressure unrelenting. We actually find it difficult to take more than a few days holiday at a time as there is rarely cover which is probably the most difficult part of the role, trying to ensure a relatively good work/life balance without the staff to manage that.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the rapport I have built up with my customers internally, the directors of my directorates and their staff, and the external suppliers I work with. I have built a culture of trust with the
  more... areas I look after which I find helps to reduce the frustration which can arise when urgent items are required for clinics or surgeries and yet a protracted workflow must be followed to get the orders authorized and out to the suppliers. Clinicians obviously have no interest in the reasons why goods are not received they just want the issue rectified and quite rightly as their focus is patients, we as procurement are here to do the rest.  less
Pros
Interestingly varied role, purchasing & finance lead but includes so much more
Cons
Staff shortages, pressure is unrelenting
Big hospital with small hospital feel
Doctor (Former Employee) –  Greater London12 January 2018
Busy but nice district general hospital to work for. On the whole the clinical staff are great and the seniors are always willing to help drive forward novel projects. Plenty of frustration with some of the systems but nothing you wouldn't get at any other hospital and they certainly don't outweigh the positives of working at Darent Valley.
Terrible team members and terrible managers
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent22 May 2017
In all honesty I hated my experience at this trust.
It was probably the worst job I've worked in my life.
Processes not in place.
Very out of date procedures and manual work overload.
Management team were quite hopeless on building team relationships and better working practices.
Very high staff turnover
Bullying within the office and especially within the team.
Pros
Cons
Bullying in the team with no help from management
fun work place
theatre support worker (Current Employee) –  queen marys sidcup23 January 2017
very productive and fun work based.it requires one to work in a team and the work is always satisfactory at the end. The culture and management are very supportive to the staff . Having worked there for over a year it was a great place to be and would always feel like a family
Hard Working
Sterile Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartford14 January 2017
Most Days seem to be very full on with pressures of maintaining to provide excellent service to the public.
People can be very stressed but this is the pressure that comes with the job.
This Hospital provides an excellent service but it comes with hard work.
Can be very rewarding.
Cons
Car park is very expensive and long waiting list to get a place
Hard work and very heavy workloads
Principal Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Dartford17 March 2016
Challenging and privileged position to work in, you will work as part of a team or on your own. Will gain a wealth of knowledge in medical terminology and all computer programmes.
Pros
medical terminology
Cons
Very heavy workloads
Decent place to work
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  ENG14 March 2014
I have learnt how to work with people from different backgrounds and individuals with different personalities and learnt to get along with them.

I have increased my knowledge of IT software packages especially Excel. I have also learnt how to use the financial systems Integra and Crystal Reports.
NHS Hospital
Principal Medical Secretary, Renal Medicine (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent3 October 2013
As a medical secretary/PA to two full time consultants my days were busy and varied. Many letters typed, queries dealt with, etc. I learnt varied medical terminology during my 14 years employed there. Management very nurse led - therefore not particularly supportive of administrative staff. Co-workers hardworking and dedicated. Hardest part of job - not enough clerical support, most enjoyable part the feeling at the end of the week of a job well done