Darlington Borough Council Employee Reviews

if your face doesn't fit your out
highway labourer (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham6 November 2018
the job is boring, other workers standing round on phones or smoking and nothing is done about it, i was left to do all the work when i told a work college he should be helping me and not on his phone i was fired that week which is what i mean by if your face fits
Pros
the wages
Cons
everything but the wages
Great place to be
Housing Options Officer (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham30 April 2018
Good team members and management structure. Flexi time in place and close to all local amenities that are expected. Staff all very supportive and approachable.
Enjoyed every minute
INFORMATION REFERRAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham22 April 2018
This was a job with many features. It was also a job which involved dealing with difficult issues in a limited time frame. Typical day attending meetings/taking minutes/filing/typing/answering the phone/visiting care homes/training. I learnt so much about care in the community and the measures in place when the care goes wrong. Management were supportive under difficult and busy circumstances. Workplace culture was not the best but there were so many cuts going on everyone was worried for their job. Hardest part of the job - there wasn't one. Most enjoyable part was the collaboration.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Cons
Frustration in not being able to do enough
mash worker
MASH worker . (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham8 February 2018
I have worked for darlington County council. It is a respectful council. Managers speak to staff well and the teams within darlington are well supported.
Pros
nice canteen
Cons
you can get lost when new - its a big building.
Records keeping
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London10 December 2017
I really like to work to ur place and l promise to work with all my effort so as to achieve the companies goals.please am in need of this job.l will soo glad to have this opportunity.
Pros
Free lounch
Good rates of pay
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Borough road8 October 2017
Have worked for council for many years, would definitely take another job with them. Just insecurities as job cuts etc. Job suits me just needing a change
Pros
Pay rates
Cons
Redundancies
Great job before the merge with Stockton BC
Accounts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham4 July 2017
I loved my time working here and have no complaints of my role, sadly My role was made redundant and I was moved to a new position within Stockton BC, I had no choice in the new role and received no compensation for the relocation, I left the company within a couple of month of this change
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Relatively low pay for the work
Dbc
Not applicable (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham27 June 2017
Not a good time to be working for Darlington council as too top heavy and too many cuts on lower rates of pay. I would prefer not to go into personal experiences about this role
Productive & efficient in hard times
Senior Revenues & Benefits Officer (Current Employee) –  Town Hall20 June 2017
Despite the bad reputation that local authorities get, DBC is very productive and very efficient given that their budget has been slashed by central government. The staff work extremely hard.
Temporary through an angency
TEMPORARY ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham2 May 2017
I was welcomed into the department, even though I was only filling in as a temp. I was shown how to do the job in one day but had people around me who took time to explain anything I didn't understand.
Just a Payroll Number!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Darlington17 March 2017
A very uncaring Council with expendable employees. Management are too far removed from the workers and don't have a clue what's going on in the front line.
An excellent team to work with
ARTS EDUCATION AND OUTREACH OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Darlington21 February 2017
A typical day depended on the time of year. It would include programming activities, contracting tutors and staff, communicating with schools and colleges, processing invoices, controlling budgets, preparing reports and general office work.

I learned how to programme events and arts activities, I kept abreast of curriculum requirements and I learned how to lead on Q&A events with theatre companies.

The management led by making sure everyone in the team felt fully involved, not only in their own area but also with others in the team.

The culture was relaxed in approach but very structured in delivery. We all respected each other and worked as a solid team.

The hardest part of the job was often the very long hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the exciting things we were achieving in schools, on the stage and in the arts workshops. No two days were ever the same.
Pros
The creativity
Cons
Local and cnvenient and great hours
LGV Driver (Current Employee) –  Darlington, Durham1 February 2017
The job is quite physical but intersting. Unfortunately though it is not quite the job I believed I was applying for. The job was advertised as an LGV driver position. The facts are that they require a labourer with anLGV licence. Since starting, there has also been a change in working practices leading to a dramatic drop in available hours. This has led to my hours being generally reduced to a part time, flexible and unsecure amount.
Pros
Locality and time.
Cons
not enough hours and less driving than believed.
Job experience
Move More Coach (Current Employee) –  Darlington, Durham9 January 2017
This business encourages advancement in qualifications and experience. It recognises employee qualification and experiences and use them to realise their potential.
Pros
Good CPD opportunity
Cons
Inconsistent Work
Tutor / Assessor (Current Employee) –  Learning & Skills9 December 2016
Always busy, great CPD opportunities, but limited progression for advancement.
Great co workers and supportive line manager.
Able to tackle new projects which appeals to my need for a variety in my work.
However, my skill sets could be better utilised in terms of my management experience.
Productive fun work place.
Joinery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham24 November 2016
Everyone gets on well, hours are great salary is great overall a very good company to work for, they value all the staff and employers and had a good work experience doing joinery on site
Pros
Hours of work
Good work place
Agency Worker (Former Employee) –  Darlington25 October 2016
A happy place to work with great workmates and staff, a place you could be outdoors in all weathers and still enjoy your working day.
Meeting the public face to face and solving problems if need be.
Pros
A great place to work outdoors.
Fun
Painting and Decorating (Former Employee) –  Darlington30 September 2016
Confident employers to work for and confident employees to have a working relationship good working conditions regular breaks easy understanding with health problems and I wasn't old enough to work for the company so I couldn't earn a wage is was only 15 at the time of my work experience
Pros
Easy jobs
Cons
Good hours
go into
Business Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Darlington9 May 2016
i really enjoyed my time as a families information officer,my main role apart from my office based duties included been responsible for the outreach service that was offered and would have to go into the community and promote the service giving advice to people that may not of otherwise been able to access the . i was able to form lasting friendships with my colleagues. The main skill i learned during my time here was been able and feeling comfortable meeting and offering advice to a large array of people.The hardest part of the job was the volume of paperwork that needed typing up and filed away, which i did efficiently but found monotonous other than that i loved every aspect of the job especially meeting different types of people from all walks of life and been able to offer them help and advice.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Clerical Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Darlington, ENG28 April 2015
There was a good working environment in this role and my co-workers were an excellent team of people with whom it was very easy to work with every day. Staff moral was always high and it was a very pleasant place to work.