Darlington Borough Council

Darlington Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
Great place to work, suites hard workers who want a great work life ballance. Management is excellent as is training and development, good place to start as an apprentice and work your way up, must be adaptable, pleasant and flexible with good collaborative skills to get on.
It is a good place to work but very cliquey, if you have been there since school you are ok. If you cannot learn quickly forget it. They look at capability very quickly. They did help get me diagnoses with Dyslexia but the small minded attitude of some supervisors relly gets you down. They just wanted to throw technology at you & expect it to fix it.
Pros
Hours, holidays
Cons
Cliquey & narrow minded
After spending time within the council you get an overview of what's going on,too many top end staff that just don't understand what's happening at base level
Certain amount of staff no pulling their weight,but bosses turn a blind eye to this

Good shake up required to get rid of dead wood.
Pros
Good holiday structure
Cons
Upper staff attitudes
I found the management untrustworthy and do not tell you the truth. The work force were friendly and the work was enjoyable. The Flexi working is good.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Parking is problematic. You have to pay to park then walk to office. Client meetings in town are on foot.
Plenty of autonomy in the role, work was interesting.

Very cliqcky staff, hard to integrate.
Lots of benefits, pension is offered ,, friendly workers, plenty of overtime if needed. Easy to contact is in need,
Great pay, always above minimum wage, holiday entitlement is above normal enjoyment
Working in residential Care turns into a lifestyle due to the long hours and shifts it can be very stressful at times. However if you have a genuine care for young people the job can be rewarding. The post does offer an attractive salary and good pension prospects
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Long Hours
Great bunch of lads easy toget on with and will help out . Management is a joke apart from a couple they expect the impossible from you give unrealistic targets to meet if your face fits you can still work while all your cards have ran out even over a year . Pay is ok but needs to be put up
the job is boring, other workers standing round on phones or smoking and nothing is done about it, i was left to do all the work when i told a work college he should be helping me and not on his phone i was fired that week which is what i mean by if your face fits
Pros
the wages
Cons
everything but the wages
Worked in a number of different Educational establishments within the Darlington area.
All extremely good and cant fault either of them.

Nature of my role was a challenging one to say the least but support from other staff was always outstanding
Pros
Good training available if needed.
Good team members and management structure. Flexi time in place and close to all local amenities that are expected. Staff all very supportive and approachable.
This was a job with many features. It was also a job which involved dealing with difficult issues in a limited time frame. Typical day attending meetings/taking minutes/filing/typing/answering the phone/visiting care homes/training. I learnt so much about care in the community and the measures in place when the care goes wrong. Management were supportive under difficult and busy circumstances. Workplace culture was not the best but there were so many cuts going on everyone was worried for their job. Hardest part of the job - there wasn't one. Most enjoyable part was the collaboration.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Cons
Frustration in not being able to do enough
I have worked for darlington County council. It is a respectful council. Managers speak to staff well and the teams within darlington are well supported.
Pros
nice canteen
Cons
you can get lost when new - its a big building.
I really like to work to ur place and l promise to work with all my effort so as to achieve the companies goals.please am in need of this job.l will soo glad to have this opportunity.
Pros
Free lounch
Cons
Have worked for council for many years, would definitely take another job with them. Just insecurities as job cuts etc. Job suits me just needing a change
Pros
Pay rates
Cons
Redundancies
I loved my time working here and have no complaints of my role, sadly My role was made redundant and I was moved to a new position within Stockton BC, I had no choice in the new role and received no compensation for the relocation, I left the company within a couple of month of this change
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Relatively low pay for the work
Not a good time to be working for Darlington council as too top heavy and too many cuts on lower rates of pay. I would prefer not to go into personal experiences about this role
Despite the bad reputation that local authorities get, DBC is very productive and very efficient given that their budget has been slashed by central government. The staff work extremely hard.
I was welcomed into the department, even though I was only filling in as a temp. I was shown how to do the job in one day but had people around me who took time to explain anything I didn't understand.
A very uncaring Council with expendable employees. Management are too far removed from the workers and don't have a clue what's going on in the front line.
A typical day depended on the time of year. It would include programming activities, contracting tutors and staff, communicating with schools and colleges, processing invoices, controlling budgets, preparing reports and general office work.

I learned how to programme events and arts activities, I kept abreast of curriculum requirements and I learned how to lead on Q&A events with theatre companies.

The management led by making sure everyone in the team felt fully involved, not only in their own area but also with others in the team.

The culture was relaxed in approach but very structured in delivery. We all respected each other and worked as a solid team.

The hardest part of the job was often the very long hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the exciting things we were achieving in schools, on the stage and in the arts workshops. No two days were ever the same.
Pros
The creativity
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Darlington Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3