Danshell Group Employee Reviews

Good and Bad.
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire13 April 2018
Rewarding however management despite being nice people are not very organised. I have had other jobs in similar positions which have been better in terms of communication and voicing concerns. A lot of the time in this company my issues were ignored and some concerned the well being of people in our care.

I enjoyed the job mostly because I knew my work was making a difference but would recommend another team if this is something you want to do for the long haul. Can be distressing work but very rewarding if you apply yourself. Just expect to be quite independent as after the training you will need to be self reliant if anything goes wrong.
Pros
Hours are set, meals provided, rewarding.
Cons
Lack of communication, lots of stress, poor organisation sometimes.
Good company, poor structre
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire20 February 2018
Danshell it self is a good company to work for however the job politics are ridiculous. I took the job with danshell for a new site that has been to due to open for the past 2 years. At the time I didn't know how long this site was due to open but once I got placed in another service and found out how long. It has been never ending. There has been some staff employed waiting for this site to open for the 2 years also. Fortunately I have only been with the company for a few months but in that time I have been told that it is going to open which raises everyone's hopes for then to be told that they didn't get the clients funding in the end and then your back to square one. Danshell have been good paying petrol expenses but this does not compensate as I took the job to work near my home not 30 miles down the road.

Safe to say I have now left the company now during my time there, staff in the other service were brilliant but the never ending waiting for this other site to open that I wanted to work at is beyond a joke.
Pros
Staff, good company, petrol expenses
Cons
Waiting for a service to open that i was orginally employed for to never open, Open dates for new clients continiously put back.
Stay clear
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North East5 February 2018
They say they are a caring company but when it comes to you needing that extra support it is not there your cast out like you are nothing. Don’t get poorly is all I can say. Dangerous place to work due to staffing levels inadequate. Certain patients have no quality of life just stuck in a room all day staring at four walls but secluded out of the way of visitors. Out of sight out of mind . False advertisement of place of work. Poor wage for the clientele you are supporting. No progression . Poor communication throughout management down to other staff. Staff just numbers no care towards staff.
Stay clear of this company.
Cons
unsupportive company. Long days
Stay clear of this company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North East5 December 2017
A very dangerous place to work, management are not interested when you voice you're concerns for staff and the service users. Staff were also very cliquey, if the nurse didn't like you, you'd get the really difficult service user's. There were also cut backs for staff having meal's, even though they expected you to stay on site for the full 12 hour shift. The food did become disgusting though and it was appalling the portions the service user got, very small amounts and if they didn't like what was offered, no alternative was given by one particular chef. Certain staff were also allowed to work together, partner's etc, which reflected on the service user's not being properly cared for. When CQC were doing an inspection, management would make sure everyone was in and prime staff on what to say.
Pros
Cons
Dangerous working conditions, disgusting food.
Cedar Vale
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire23 October 2017
I enjoyed working here because of the patients and the staff on the floor of the unit. Management weren't very good and supplies would often be of shortage.
Very rewarding
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City28 August 2017
Not for the faint hearted. Service users are very challenging but with challenge comes reward and that why I work in care. Company has the right values and is moving in the right direction. We are here to help people care for themselves not to just look after them. High staff turnover but that's cause it's not for everyone. Great team work stronger than anywhere ever worked before. Get put on your SVQ after 6 months and get wage increase when you pass
Pros
Free meals, team work, pay living wage
Cons
Need more good nurses
You could do your DBT training there
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orpington16 August 2017
The hospital that I worked in requires highly experienced nurses working with adolescents with very challenging behaviour. It would be most valuable if your background has been working with CAMHS EUPD.
Official response from Danshell Group
24 August 2017

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, however at present, Danshells core client group is adults, and our client group is Learning Disabilities and Autism.

The location you are referring to was acquired by a competitor care provider approximately 2 years ago.

Kindest Regards,

Stefan

Blame culture poor senior management 'clique'
Senior OT (Former Employee) –  Nottingham1 August 2017
What could be an amazing place to work is unsafe and surrounded by a clique of senior authorities who know little about the whole MDT and their practice. Culture has implemented a poor ethic to this company and some of its employees - many of whom care a great deal about their role and the service users within it - people do not stop long as they are not supported or appreciated.

If its not done 'their way' they 'blame' and are not allowed to improve the service.

Certain long term employees from the companies prior name would benefit from leaving and allowing the service to grow effectively
Pros
support workers free lunch
Cons
unfair pay for positions of similar posts, poor senior management, lack of trust within company regulations, senior staff going against policies
Challenging but rewarding work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Essex27 May 2017
If you want an easy job then this isn't for you. However, if you want to belong to a team who thrive on the challenge of improving the lives of those with mental health and learning difficulties, ending your shift each day with a sense of achievement and satisfaction from the level of care and support you have given, then this is definitely the job for you.
Good training, with opportunity to develop own skills and qualifications. Good support from colleagues and managers.
Yes, the shifts are long, but are balanced with days off, e.g. 4 on 3 off.... and meals are provided free whilst at work. Many units runs a rolling rota, so easy to plan ahead with own social life. However just like most other care and public service organisations shifts may change due to operational need.
My advice if you've never done this before is to research mental health and learning disabilities. Look up positive behaviour support, check out the BILD website, if you then believe you can make a positive difference to the lives of the people we support then go ahead and apply!
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Sometimes very challenging, but becomes easier the more you understand an individuals needs.
A really caring company
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Midland23 May 2017
Challenging part of care to work in but very rewarding. Did not previously work with people who have Autsim so this has been eye opening. I really enjoy coming to work everyday, and while it does have tough days I work in a brilliant team who all support each other.

The care provided to both service users and staff is excellent. Provided all relevant training to stay safe.

Have developed in my role completing my NVQ 2 and currently working towards NVQ 3.
Pros
Meals, training, manager, team
Cons
Long hours, pension
Its a good rewwarding job- for the right person.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Midlands23 May 2017
I started working for Dnshell at Ceder Vale in May 16 and am about to leave (June 17).
The initial training is excellent - you will learn about safegarding, physical intervention, emergency first aid and lots of other bits. This training is in Burton on Trent - transport is provided and last two weeks.
You will then have shadowing shift to meet and learn about the guys we care for - this is important and will help you - so make sure you use it wisely!
On your fourth week you will start for real- the nurse in charge will put you with an easier patient to begin with (especially if you are not expereinced in care). You will be doing everything wiht them from personal care, eating with them, doing some activies (although i think this is a weaker area) and generally stahying with them and keeping them safe. Some patient are "level 2" (they can be left on thier own with periodic checks), where as some are 2:1 levlel 4 (kept within arms reach).
Physical intervention is used appropritatly- this is to keep people safe as patients can get aggressove- however there is alarm system where by everyone has a personal alarm to let people know if immidaiate assistant is required. This is a strength here, as i think this is a safe unit where everyone looks after each other (just make sure you look after your colleagues too).
There is a level of responsibility with regard to paitents health - as some of them could become very ill at any point - but you will recive excelent training and you MUST use your response alarm, theres always help availible.
Shift are 12 hours day or nights - usually
  more... 8 till 8.
The managment are quite good here - espically when compared with some other care companies.
The workplace culture is fantastic in my opinion- most people are very caring towards patients and this creates a good atmosphere around the unit. There has been NO accusations from staff while i have worked there that i am aware of.
The hardest part of the job is keeping the patients calm - but his is a skill you will learn and could transferr to somthing else you may choose to do after you leave.
The most enjoyalbe part of this job is being a big part of the guys lives and dooing our best to improve thier quality of life.
also we have free lunch and dinner from a great chef.
I would say generally this job is for someone who is very caring for people with severe learning dissabilties - you will learn alot, and will need a very open mind with reagrd to thier behavours, for not alot of pay - but the rewards are you will learn alot and is a great stepping stone.
Pros
Compressed hours, massive real life learning opportunities, free meals
Cons
low pay, can get hit sometimes
Challenging but extremely rewarding work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  North East18 May 2017
Work as part as a great team, no two days the same. Company takes training really seriously. I was made to feel really welcome and given a buddy when I started.
Pros
The team, service users, supportive manager, meals provided
Progressive
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Midlands17 May 2017
Good company - management are considerate to staff, service needs and committed to patient care.

A real culture especially within challenging services. Hours can be long, but it's the norm in care.

My service has gone from 'Requires improvement' to 'Good' since I have been here - a great place for anyone wanting to be hands on and committed to quality care delivery.

A proud current Nurse!
Pros
Team culture / Service Users
Great staff on the floor, senior management appalling.
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland14 March 2017
Worked as a Deputy Manager until recently, two clinical shifts and the remainder office based. Very quickly changed. Overpaid nurse working on the floor full time yet still expected to carry out management duties. Impossible in a situation where your shift is spent trying to cover shortfall of staff, administering medications and dealing with monies throughout the day, not including managing daily routine and caring for extremely vulnerable service users. Over and above this, continue to receive admissions! Absolutely no support from senior management whatsoever, too busy 'painting the grass green' for visits from external bodies. Staff on the floor do an amazing job in extremely difficult circumstances, however are not rewarded through appropriate remuneration and more importantly are not at all valued by senior management. The place I worked was lovely and it was an awful wrench to leave, however I could not continue to work in a place where it valued profit over people.
Pros
The meals are free.
Cons
Constant shift changes without discussion or consultation. Frequently working short staffed, imbalance of regular staff to agency staff on shift. No support from senior management.
I would stay well away from this company
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  North East16 October 2016
I would not recommend working for this company whatsoever. HR are appalling, always employing staff with no experience whatsoever, constant mallicious false accusations and slander being made about experienced staff by new staff, being left in dangerous situations, no support from management, constant shift changes leading to no home life whatsoever, no support from management. The whole thing is organised chaos.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, stressful environment, constant shift changes, constant false accusations being made about staff, rubbish management, no support, dangerous, inexperienced staff
awful company to work for.
staff nurse (Former Employee) –  lockerbie14 August 2016
Very unsupportive senior management team which does not support staff, risk management non existent, limited opportunity for advancement despite professing a great available pathway, the academy that is promoted is flimsy - limited education and opportunity the majority of which is all done in house with multiple courses being cancelled throughout the year.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad rostering, poor management and leadership, limited opportunity.
Excellent company
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool29 July 2016
Challenging and complex environment- not for everyone.
Excellent training focus on individual needs
Fantastic PBS approach within units
Excellent opportunities for career progression
Rewards system in place ie money back offers etc
Pros
Free lunch, career advancement, experience in LD, Mh
Cons
Hours may be deemed as long but needed for client consistency
Very stressful environment.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dunblane28 July 2016
Very stressful and demanding environment. Lack of resources to provide quality care. Poor leadership and no post incident support from management and shift leader. Very low staff morale. Long 12 hours day/night shift and often held back due to number of incidents.
Pros
Free lunch / dinner
Cons
Long hours ( day /nigh shift )
#Room for improvement
SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Colchester7 June 2016
Very challenging
i have learnt a lots
Mangement there is room for improvement
Co workers are helpful
We have more challenging individuals
The experience
Pros
free lunch
Innovative and values led
Communication, Marketing and Involvement Lead (Current Employee) –  York and across the UK4 November 2015
No two days are ever the same, it brings a lot of challenges but a lot of rewards. Marketing and communications for this company are varied and on many marketing levels. Enjoying active digital marketing whilst nurturing my writing skills producing articles, literature and website content. Luck to work with such a great group of colleagues.
Pros
Lots of travel across the UK visiting sites
Cons
Sometimes things are needed yesterday, not enough preparation time for projects, lifting heavy boxes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Danshell Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8