DAC Beachcroft LLP

DAC Beachcroft LLP Employee Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews
Bleee
Poor management. Boring role. Progression hard to come by. Very clique. No job satisfaction. A lot of colleagues full of their own importance. Very poor standards of client service and satisfaction.
6 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear that you are finding progression hard to come by, your HRBP (Amy) would be happy to talk to you confidentially on this and explore how you are looking to progress your career and what opportunities there may be. If you have thoughts on where we can improve client service in your team we'd love to hear from you on this also.
Nice firm good progress
I only worked here on a temporary assignment via agency but the time I was here I really enjoyed it. Modern collaborative firm and good perks.

Parking a bit awkward due to location but where isn’t these days?

Gutted I couldn’t stay longer.
An excellent place to work
Just a great place to work in both HR, administration, and Law. A very nice atmosphere that encourages teamwork and collaboration but also allows for independent work when desired by an individual. Fantastic facilities.
Nice global company to work for
Nice new building, the finance dept is big but sitting all together with easy access to each other. The company provides well for its employees. Ambitious forward looking company.
Soul destroying company
Awful company to work for, pay is really low. Overworked and under paid, no appreciation for staff. No work life balance, unrealistic targets. There is a very high turnover of staff...a soul destroying place.

Management is a real problem within credit hire.

Supervisors are treated poorly as are the paralegals.
n/a
I have never left a negative review in my life, but dear me, I also think that you can expect some sort of standard when you go to work in corporate world.
Unfortunately, the standard at this company was very poor.

Where do I start? Having entered the company, you loose yourself with no support.
25 November 2019
Thank you for leaving a review but sorry to read your experience here wasn't positive. Unfortunately without understanding more specifics I can't really comment on your feedback, although I gather you felt unsupported. Sorry that this was the case. We've been reviewing our induction programme this year as we knew it could be improved, we're also about to undertake an employee experience review as we want colleagues to enjoy working here.
Great culture, friendly people
DACB has a friendly, supportive and inclusive culture. The area that I work in is very collaborative and forward-thinking, with a good support structure in place for colleagues. Everyone I have met in my area and the wider firm has been very friendly and welcoming. Being a bigger firm, there are some good benefits and perks, such as a nice office, good location (very accessible for public transport links), well-being initiatives, subsidised cafe, showers and more.
11 November 2019
Thanks for sharing your feedback, it's great to hear that you are enjoying the supportive and friendly culture so much.

We wish you continued success with the firm.
Legal secretaries - avoid!!
Terrible 8 months in this company from start to finish and would advise anyone thinking of applying for a legal secretary role to just don't! Recruitment and interview process was a joke and somehow I was placed in a completely different department to the one I had applied for via the recruiter. Queried this on my first week and was basically told nothing could me done so pretty much had to get on with it and spent 8 months working in a department I had no experience in.

Secretarial Management are extremely lazy and there is literally no training or support you are literally left to your own devices. Made false promises regarding pay and work progression throughout my time there to the point I couldn't take much more of it and decided to leave after just 8 months.

Awful experience - avoid!!
21 November 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It is really disappointing to hear that this was your experience whilst employed with us. Naturally this isn’t the experience we want colleagues to have. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback directly.

As part of our interview process we provide each candidate with an overview of the team/s and discuss the key role responsibilities. At offer stage we typically confirm which team an applicant will be supporting, sometimes this can be fixed at the interview stage but other times, as appears in your case we are considering applicants for more than one opening. It’s an agile team with huge scope to grow and progress in.

We provide a full induction and training package, alongside a buddy being allocated for new team members, therefore we are sorry your experience wasn’t reflective of this. Our team managers hold regular one to one conversations as part of our performance review approach, an opportunity for additional training or support to be discussed.

The secretarial role does require individuals to work independently and without supervision (amongst a number of other attributes and skills); providing a valuable service to our legal team. The scale and scope of our firm means you’ll, at some stage, have the opportunity to change the type of work you do and develop new skills by joining a different team and supporting our lawyers with differing demands.

We understand that DACB wasn’t right for you but do appreciate your feedback. Please accept our best wishes for your career.
Growing global law firm - interesting work, great people
An interesting role within a great team. It's a large firm, which has pros and cons but above all, the attitude of being able to introduce new ideas, support new processes is welcome. As it's a large firm, several well-being perks such as exercise classes, social events, diversity initiatives. Thoroughly enjoying my time.
Good culture with lots of opportunities
I work in the Bristol office and overall think that DACB is a great place to work. There is a friendly and supportive culture throughout the firm both in Bristol and in other offices I've visited.

I've been offered lots of different opportunities, not just in terms of career progression and professional qualifications but also with things like volunteering in the local community. The social events are varied and fun too.

Flexible working also feels much more accessible and encouraged now which I think is really positive!
A good place to work
There's a strong emphasis in DACB on looking after people. Can vary from team to team (as it would in any organisation of this size) but overall the standard is high and under scrutiny centrally.
Work is varied and a lot is high quality.

Management generally will listen to constructive comment.

Hardest part is managing workload during peaks, but again supportive management helps.

Really lovely people tend to come here and stay. Collegiate working atmosphere.

It's still a law firm - emphasis on billing to make us profitable, but don't be fooled into thinking this will be different in any firm likely to survive the next 5 - 10 years!!!

The pay here isn't the highest, but is fair for the market and the level of work.
Pros
Focus on values, efforts to look after colleagues, work-life balance
Cons
It's still a law firm!
Supportive of Working Parents, Down to Earth Culture
I've worked here for 18 months and as a working parent I'm impressed with their genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion. I've a flexible working arrangement in place that allows me to pick up my children from school some days and also work from home one day a week. The Firm is down to earth yet professional and they really treat individuals well. Whilst pay is average, their overall reward package is good. Leaders are approachable and all in all DACB are a good place to work.
Pros
Collaborative, supportive culture
Cons
Lack of parking
Poor experience over many years
Worked for the firm for a number of years and was let down throughout that time. Set our targets at hourly rate work yet gave us fixed fee work and then had the audacity to moan on a weekly basis about us not making them enough money and hitting targets. Micro-managed us. Questioned many low key decisions we made even as experienced lawyers. Over supervision. Feedback from colleagues was of terribly low pay at numerous levels. You could earn more on an hourly rate basis begging on the street or evening finding loose change on the street floor than under the bonus scheme. This firm is a useful way to enter the profession but then move on to better things with another firm.
Pros
Good work / life balance - you can leave at 5pm - 5.30pm without an eyebrow being raised
Cons
Everything else
24 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We were sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience working in our Birmingham team.

With regard to your comments about low pay, we conduct an annual salary review each year and use local and national market data to assess salary levels against our competitors. Our approach is always to consider the total reward package which includes the value to benefits such as pension, private medical scheme, health assessments as well as a selection of flexible benefits. Our overall reward package is comparable to other firms.
Progressive and focused growth with excellent legal practitioners to guide you.
I found the support and guidance to be fantastic and conducive to performing my job effectively. Challenging work but worthwhile results with recognition and potential for advancement.
Terrible introduction to law
Training non-existent, insufficient work throughout. Received conflicting instructions in terms of seeking more work, greater emphasis on billing than quality.

Evidently sought somebody with greater experience but the sub-par remuneration clearly drives others elsewhere. Duplicity in terms of salary; told one figure at interview, and a different figure at the time of offer.

Deeply unpleasant experience overall. Avoid.
Superb
Management and supervisors are extremely attentive, welcoming and helpful. Everyone truly wants people to progress and develop. Salary could be higher, but does increase well upon promotion. Progressive company
Pros
Free tea & coffee, good bonus structure, lots of training
Cons
Entry salary is low for the sector
Expanding law firm - leading its sector
An international law firm expanding its range across multiple jurisdictions with serious revenue streams from big insurers and government bodies. Striving for excellence.
Horrible place
Worked as a paralegal for 6 months and that was as much as any soul should be made to in this hellish place. Awful pay, expected to work extemley late, case overload and stressed unhappy environment, with high staff turnover. Genuinely dreadful. Stay away.
Pros
Exposure to legal work and experience gained in sector
Cons
Everything else. Stay clear.
Work experience placement
I completed a weeks Work experience with DAC and it was really enjoyable. I learnt many things to do with Law but also aspects of IT and how these types of businesses operate.

I would recommend to anyone looking for work experience in the Law area.
Pros
Great experience which teaches many things
Cons
N/a
Worst job ever
I didn't enjoy working here at all. Line Manager was horrible. She made personal comments about my appearance and clothes. She did not share the work out - just gave it all to me including all the horrible jobs that nobody else wanted to do. She used to save work for when I came back from holiday instead of getting someone else to do it in my absence. I was constantly picked on. She watched everything I did. Working here made me ill with stress and anxiety.
Pros
Acceptable ..... if it's your first legal job
As an experienced paralegal, I went into my job at DAC expecting much more than they actually had to offer. What you get from working there is a rigid management structure, questionable hiring practices and severely underpaid paralegal staff.

'Supervisors' on the paralegal team were paid around £18k and there was serious disparity between the way some were treated. In one instance, an individual with no prior legal experience walked into a job on the litigation team whereas the two women who had been working there for 1 year (who had LPCs) were unable to obtain a 'promotion' to get the same job. There were some more serious and damning rumours regarding the political stance of some members of staff but I would much prefer not to elaborate on this as I don't have any solid information.

On the plus side - I hear the firm is good IF you are a solicitor. So, if you are an experienced paralegal, you may want to aim somewhere else because firms like this are pure process driven and do not care about progressing your knowledge base. You simply exist to send out template letters and push forward low value claims.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAC Beachcroft LLP. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8