Cwm Taf University Health Board is situated in the heart of South Wales just north of Cardiff, between the beautiful Brecon Beacons National Park and the M4 motorway.
The area is steeped in history, widely recognised across the UK and around the world as the driving force of the industrial revolution and the coal industry.
The area is reverting to its pre-industrial beauty and you’ll find a wide range of landscapes. Majestic mountains, country parks, forests, waterfalls, natural and manmade lakes, which together with the built environment produces a unique and interesting region. There are many valleys in Wales, but nowhere is there such pride and passion, and nowhere will you find so warm a welcome as within Cwm Taf.
The Cwm Taf area is made up of four localities – three of which are within the Rhondda Cynon Taf local authority area. These are the Cynon Valley, the Rhondda Valleys and the Taff Ely area. The fourth locality is Merthyr Tydfil. Almost 81% of our community live in the Rhondda Cynon Taff local authority area. The remaining 19% live within the Merthyr Tydfil area.
We are the second most densely populated health board in Wales. When compared to the Welsh average there are over 3 times as many people per square kilometre living in the Cwm Taf area.
Many areas across Cwm Taf are amongst the most deprived in Wales. This is significant as geographically based deprivation measures can be used to show inequalities in health and suggest areas most likely to need measures to improve health and manage ill-health. Figures also show that life expectancy across Cwm Taf is lower than that of the Welsh average.
Cwm Taf University Health Board is responsible for providing healthcare services to the population of Merthyr Tydfil and Rhondda Cynon Taf, estimated to be around 289,400 people.
We provide a full range of hospital and community-based services employing approximately 7,000 members of staff making us the second largest employer in the area.
Our services also extend to people living in the neighbouring areas of the Upper Rhymney Valley, South Powys, North Cardiff and the Western Vale.
In addition, some specialist services are provided to the wider catchment area of South Wales. – less