Cumbria County Council

Cumbria County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews
The open office can be noisy at times with staff receiving phone calls throughout the day, the 'break out area' used in lunch-breaks can also be used if quiet time is needed to take skype calls etc.
Locally, operational staff give their all. At senior level there is disconnect and no real knowledge of what is happening on the ground, nor willingness to learn or improve when things go wrong. A very static council.

Expectation of being able to work with too few staff, and no willingness to listen to pressures and concerns.

Good relationships operationally with other teams in health and similar and with providers.
Pros
Operational staff hugely supportive of each other, work well across teams
Cons
district offices are geographically spread out, are reliant on senior management
Good salary, but no career progression, out of date work practices.
Local Government, so cuts have hit hard.

Involvement with local schools is lovely and rewarding.
Pros
location
Cons
stressful
Good pay.Work can be stressful.New Management can be unfair.There is some good and bad points.Needs to think hundreds times while making decisions toward staff..
Job is ok whilst looking for other jobs its a nice easy pace with no targets to meet great for if you like wondering around areas and talking to people.
Cumbria county council are god to work for you can learn a lot about
different area and are able to get benefit for working for such a large organisation everyone is friendly even if you have not met yo are able to be able to communicate and produce what is needed.
Once relationships have been established the culture within the authority is one of collaboration and teamwork.
I learnt the value of consistant stakeholder management, importance of consistant and honest communication with communities and local authorities and their representatives.

The culture of communication with the general public could be more consistant and controlled with the introduction of regular bi-annual district council/parish meeting on highway matters.

No hardest part of the job!

Working with a varied mix of talents/roles to enable the projects to progress as smoothly as possible and creating solid/collaborative working relationships was the most enjoyable as well as seeing the devastation of Dec 2015, Storm Desmond, being dealt with and communities benefitting from the authorities hard work to repair/renew the damaged assets.
No stress involved. Always plenty of staff. Never a problem to help you out if have a family emergency or trouble with your children. Team are great. No complaints
Good to be able to serve the people of Cumbria. Working for a Council is public service and going the extra impacts on people's lives.
Pay and rewards are equally biased to public service.
Extremely poor employer, they are good at demotivating staff. Management extremely overpaid and over promoted at the expense of front line workers and the residents of Cumbria
I found working for the council to be a rewarding experience but found the organisation to be frustrating due to staffing shortages, and organisational problems due to internal politics and too much red tape
started off with bus checks each morning, planned routes, collected clients, elderly and disabled for various daycares and schools, thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the job and made lots of friends along the years, was made redundant in 2014 due to the council getting put out to tender
Pros
fantastic job all round
Cons
no cons
I’ve worked here for nearly a year as a ceremonies officer.
It fits in well with my home/work life as i can choose what days I’m available to work.

My bosses are all lovely, caring and only an email away if I need them.

Down side is claiming for travel and the time taken to do admin as we’re actually never really in a office to be able to do it.

I’ve not had any chance of progression yet and I don’t know what the future holds.

I really enjoy my role with CCC though, get paid on time, and really feel part of the team.
Pros
Lovely working environment
Cons
Hardly any work in winter
I really enjoyed this job was fun as well as hard work which I love. I loved traveling to work with different teams and people.
Only down side was when I had a problem that needed dealing with the management didn't want to know part from that the job was fantastic.
Every day is different.
Tarmac laying, kerbing, flagging, gritting and snow clearing, dealing with public, road rolling and use of hand tools.

Management at lower level totally unorganised.

Lazy workforce

Nothing too hard.

Best part of the job was on completion and knowing you had done the best you could with the resources available
Pros
Cons
Arguing about jobs. Hours in winter too variable
The government cuts have impacted heavily on the workforce. Workloads have increased beyond staff reasonable capabilities in many areas. Staff are under constant pressure which in turn affects performance and health. Extremely difficult to provide the service that is expected.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Excessive workloads
A reasoanble organisation, but subject to constannt change and reorganiasation as a result of ongoing government spending cuts. Staff numbers are dropping, but worklkloads are ever increasing.

The workplace culture is a bit cliquey. Staff are friendly. Flexible working is encouraged. The main finance office is open plan, and operates a "hot desk" policy whereby few staff have a nominated desk. All staff have laptops.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Continous restructuring
Given short term contracts mainly so knew where and when i was going. Had various training in safeguarding and health and safety.
Good experience with management was contacted often and shared useful information.

The hardest part initially was day to day different places for supply but this changed after a short while for short term contracts where i felt more at home.

Gaining experience from working with various age ranges and school and sharing my experiences with varied children.
Each day was different, generally, you would need to check emails and answer accordingly, check answer phone messages, deal with anything pending, attend meetings, often in Penrith and Carlisle.
Management were very difficult to speak to personally everything was done virtually. Wasn't a great work place culture different teams kept themselves to themselves.

The job no longer exists as far as i am aware hence the reason redundancy.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
work load not very forgiving
On arrival you sign in and i sat at a desk. It was a very calm and nice environment to be in.Often you would help children find books and get their parents to sign them up for the reading challenge that goes on each year. The people were very pleasant and always smiling and happy to help. The most enjoyable part of the job was just how relaxed and stress free the job was and meeting lots of different people.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
It can be quite boring on quiet days
At this place I was supervising a land reclamation scheme involving a lot of earthworks. This was good experience and I became very good at keeping accurate records. I also learned how to measure the works and certifying valuations.
Pros
Very flexible hours.
Cons
None.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumbria County Council. Our community is ready to answer.