Croydon Council Employee Reviews

Great opportunities for flexible patterns
Charging and Financial Assessent Officer (Current Employee) –  Croydon17 October 2019
Thanks to my work at LBC I have been able to maintain an amazing work / life balance, which i would have enjoyed anywhere else!

This allowed me to be more present when my kids were growing up, and my wife was studying for her degree.
A great place to work
Social Care (Adults) Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London30 August 2019
A great place to work. Variety of tasks, opportunities. Friendly team and management. Flexible working, pension scheme. Training course opportunities.
Generally OK
Senior Highway Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 July 2019
This used to be a nice place to work. Most of the people are nice to work with and are loyal in the main, with a strong work ethic. Not everyone pulls in the same direction though
Busy demanding draining annoying
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London15 July 2019
You will work very hard, and others will work half the amount of work and get paid the same as you. You will work with allot of different people and will have to learn how everyone works. Every team does tasks a different way. Nothing makes senses and a small task will take a long time to complete.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Very hard to move up
It’s pleasant enough
Legal Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Croydon4 May 2019
As said it was pleasant, a good environment to learn in although it would benefit by reviewing some management; management style can be quite lax.
Overall though it’s a thumbs up
works well for a local gov office
Transport Officer London Borough (Current Employee) –  Croydon6 March 2019
the organisation works well for a local gov office, but lacks direction at times. does not always know how to get the best from its staff team. is under pressure to do more for less by central government
Pros
steady employment
Flexible working environment
Property Licensing Officer (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London18 February 2019
Overall a great environment to work in. Very inclusive of its staff and of their needs.

There are many different departments to work in.

I would recommend working for Croydon Council.
Productive comfortable enviroment
Trainee, Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London17 December 2018
*During my time spent within the traineeship for Croydon Council my typical work day would consist of, first and foremost going through my emails, messaging clients, reading through my schedule (for that day) that was set by my manager then proceeding with the various tasks labelled for that day, (varying between adjusting spreadsheets online, arranging meetings with clients, along with helping cover some my colleagues work when necessary).

*I also learned how to prepare high standard CV's for the future, which will surely benefit me tremendously going forward.

*I won't per say that there was any particular hard part of my job, some the deadlines were fairly difficult to account for sometimes but, however, they were manageable.

*Easily the best part was the colleagues constantly keeping you motivated, smiling and happy. It was a genuinely a enjoyable work environment to be situated with.
Pros
Free Lunches, Comfortable working hours, Welcoming colleagues, Productive
Enjoyable voluntary work
Education Appeals Panel Member (Current Employee) –  South East London, Greater London17 November 2018
Very interesting voluntary work. Have to read access the case and form questions. Question the parties present. Delibrate the case and then make final decision.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Cases could over run
Croydon is up and coming.
Live Well Advisor (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London20 October 2018
It was a new service and and had teething issues. It was bot the nicest of places to work in terms of beauty of the environment. Not many variety of shops
Pros
Close to train and tram links
Cons
New services not smoothly run
Housing Demand Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Croydon14 October 2018
Help residents through maximising the residents income, by way of helping them to stay in their homes and sustaining their tenancies. Also by getting adaptations in their homes so they do not have to move. Also avoiding them going into temporary accommodation including B&B's. Maximising their benefits that they maybe entitled to that they were not aware of.

The department I was employed to work in, started as a pilot and I was part of the project. This department is now business as usual, as we save a vast amount of money for the council.

Case work through referrals from adult social care, gateway and welfare and the contact centre.

Visit very vulnerable residents and help them to maximise their income.Making their homes more comfortable. It might be that they need white goods through the Croydon Discretionary Scheme (CDS),also deposit for rent or rent inadvance, through Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). Hellp with applying for council tax, attendance allowance, Universal Credit (UC) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

It's very satisfying when you have helped the residents way of life to be more comfortable and increased their income, making their way of life more bearable.
Pros
Great work life balance, lovely offices and room for career progression, 29 days annual leave upto 31 days
Cons
Salaries are not in line with other boroughs
part time
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London24 August 2018
very friendly kitchen
enabled me to take health and safety cert
can get very hot in the summer
free meal at lunchtime
hardest part was cleaning very large cooking pots
Pros
fee lunch
Cons
part time
Fun workspace and productive team with professional attitude.
C# Software Developer Officer (Current Employee) –  London13 August 2018
Every day when I enter the office my face is smiling. I`ve expanded my skills in the software development such C#/ASP.NET. I`ve learned how to communicate and be straightforward with accurate information.
Pros
Free coffee/tea/sandwiches
veryyy good
Project & Programme Officer - (Current Employee) –  londin23 April 2018
amazing place to work,
work from home
slightly political but good people around you.
work load is good and has a fair balance.
invest in emmployees
Very good work environment
Carer (Current Employee) –  Croydon10 March 2018
I take care of a lady at her home. Take care of her hygiene, dress and groom. Prepare her meals and snacks. Give her her medication and massage when necessary. Accompany her on small walks.
lovely
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 February 2018
at the start of the day sit beside my sen child to give support and help if needed, children are very resilent, and given the right help and support can become anything that they desire to be.
Pros
flexiable hours
work placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Croydon9 February 2018
I was allowed to do a range of tasks that varied from day to day which kept it interesting. I learned how to use excel properly, how the council works plus much more. Everyone was very nice there and helpful.
Varied Roles
Area enforcement officer (Former Employee) –  London31 January 2018
I carried out many duties while employed at Croydon Council, firstly I was employed as a C.C.T.V operator for 7 years then i moved on to being a Mobile Enforcement Officer where I was employed to work with a German Shepard dog dealing with anti-social behaviour, carrying out report writing duties and also working alongside different agencies internally and externally, Police, Housing, Social Services etc. I carried out those duties for 5 years after which I went on to become an area enforcement officer where again I was expected to deal with issues surrounding anti-social behaviour and waste management. I had to carry out report writing duties such as statement writing for court appearances and appraisal reports for my yearly performance and expected targets to reach. The management were very pro active as regards to making sure that the level of professionalism standards were kept to the high standard and also to ensure there was a visible presence patrolling the streets of Croydon. The work place culture was of a serious nature but on occasion was also relaxed in open discussion. The hardest Part of the job was to gather the correct information and ensuring the correct services were informed and then sharing that information and waiting for responses. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie, the humour and support
Pros
Flexible hours, socially friendly staff members
Cons
Management sometimes uncooperative
not bad
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London3 January 2018
took the role on a temporary basis but not a bad job. i just want to progress to be an electrician. most days i drive around delivering new bins and recycling equipment but also i fit bins and installs across the borough of croydon
Productive and fun workplace
Community support worker/Health Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Thornton Heath, Greater London20 November 2017
supporting service users - such a joy - adults with learning disabilities
learning something new everyday for example, learning more about the condition autism
management - ok
workplace culture - good
the hardest part of the job sometimes is keeping service users motivated - they have choice in what activities they would like to participate in but sometimes decline everything on offer
the whole day our service users are lovely, loving, happy and appreciative.
Pros
working lunches
Cons
no overtime