CROWN PROSECUTION SERVICE Employee Reviews

Stable, Reputable job
Senior Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 October 2018
Since starting with the service I have had great experiences in the office and at court.
Management have been understanding and accommodating to my needs creating a healthy work life balance
Facilitating justice
Casework Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield30 August 2018
I worked for the CPS for nine months on a fixed term contract, The people I worked with were professional, reliable and friendly. The work itself was challenging and I learned a lot about the world of work. I really enjoyed my time there.
Great People, Austerity hit hard
SOLICITOR & SENIOR CROWN PROSCUTOR (Former Employee) –  Walsall, Wolverhampton, Birmingham11 July 2018
A great job when I started but we suffered from too much change too quickly given the number of staff lost due to austerity. Regardless, most people soldiered on and tried to give the public a service as good as it could be. The public do not know how lucky they are to have such dedicated people working for them.

I cannot say too much about the work due to legal reasons.
Pros
The privilege of working for the CPS and the people of the West Midlands
Cons
Long hours. Travel to Birmingham.
Great colleagues and interesting work overshadowed by poor management
ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey10 July 2018
A typical day is coming into the office and looking at the rota at which task you could be allocated. This could be prepping for court, bundling case files, logging media or updating past hearings and completing tasks.

The work does vary and you can be rota'd on a number of jobs which is good as you never quite know which task you will be doing; which keeps it interesting.

Line managers are lovely and have your absolute best interests at heart. Further above, management are focussed on numbers and facts and figures and do not see you as a person; but as a "thing" to allocate some tasks too.

I enjoy working here however do add the caveat that if you would be against micro-management this may not be the workplace for you.
Pros
Good annual leave, flexi-leave, decent salary, good colleagues
Cons
Micro-management from above, not always obvious progression
Fun and challenging work place
SENIOR PERSONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  London1 May 2018
I enjoy my role within the Crown Prosecution Service as a Senior Personal Assistant. My daily duties include managing my Senior Managers inbox and calendar schedules. I arrange meetings, prepare agendas and take minutes in those meetings. The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with my Senior Managers as I believe it to be a vital part of the PA role.
N/a
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 April 2018
There are no typical days as of the work we do and the benefits of flexi. As an apprentice they made it easy to complete all of my out of work material.
Administrator (Educational Placement) (Former Employee) –  Wembley, Greater London10 December 2017
The experience of working at the crown prosecution service opens you up to complete office work environment. The overall atmosphere is supportive, welcoming and professional.
Stressful
Casework Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham7 November 2017
Expect to be working well over the hours you think you will be working. Flexi hours are an issue, and the workload is huge. The management was awful in my department.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work load, hours of work, managment
Fun place to work
Apprentice Case Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  London1 November 2017
I enjoyed my time with the CPS. There was very good training opportunities and your line manager did as much as they could to help you. Only down side was not renewing my fixed term contract
Well run
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire29 September 2017
Good team environment and support staff. Good scope for advancing into more involved legal fields. There was a large open plan office, which helped with team work.
Fun
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands4 September 2017
I am currently 16 years old and undertook a work experience at the CPS for a duration of 1 week. During this time I gained an insight into the role of a Barrister and really enjoyed experiencing something I would like to pursue as a career in the future.
Pros
Interesting Career
Cons
Long Hours
Interesting
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Leeds30 August 2017
Lots of paperwork, I only did work experience here but it was in an office environment. I had the chance to see the work life of a solicitor for 2 weeks and understood how much security was necessary for a job like this
Cps
Permanent Employee (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire9 August 2017
I really enjoyed working for the Crown Prosecution Service and this gave me a good understanding of how the court systems worked.
They were flexible working hours.
Interesting and rewarding
Senior Crown Prosecutor (Current Employee) –  Mold, Flintshire29 July 2017
Interesting work. No two cases are the same. Variety of office and court work. Flexible working hours. Good benefit package. Staff at all levels are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Interesting job
Cons
Office polictics over ruled but work remained testing but very interesting.
PARALEGAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent13 June 2017
Office polictics over ruled but work remained testing but very interesting. This job formed my first journey into the working world and provided me with the many skills and qualities I posses today which enabled me to transfer to any job. Work to colleague ratio was outweighed and there was an obvious lack of management. We were unsupported from the top but us ground workers supported each other.
Brilliant working enviroment
Casework Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh27 May 2017
Working on computer making files for court and lawyers.
Learned a lot about how the law and court works.
Management always having to stick to times.
Great group of people to work with but very stressful
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Stress
Fun, productive workplace
Crown Advocate / Casework Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, UK24 May 2017
This side of the government appear to value all their staff, even those right at the bottom, and treat them as equals - which is a credit to any company.

The job was varied, busy, and always helped by the support of management both local and further away, and colleagues who'd done the role before hand and been promoted since. Nothing was above anyone.
Pros
flexible working hours
Some members of staff are lovely, others not so much.
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham1 May 2017
I am currently completing my apprenticeship at the CPS. The job can be enjoyable at times if a little repetitive. You can be put on the same task for months at a time and it feels like the management have forgotten about you and the fact that you are doing an apprenticeship. The management is not approachable at all and there is a sense of "us vs them" in the office. When issues arise they seem to be dismissed and "swept under the rug" and is to be forgotten about. Considering the purpose of having apprentices is to help them build up their skills and help them gain a job at the end of it, most apprentices are either told they are not competent at their job to warrant a permanent position or the management try to get their contracts terminated before they have completed their apprenticeship. I would not recommend working at this particular office.
Pros
Good salary. Flexi time.
Cons
Awful management. Poor retention of staff.
Just a number
ASSOCIATE PROSECUTOR (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 January 2017
Good structure and good people to work with. No prospect of promotion sadly. No recognition for hard work and everyone treated the same whether hard working or not. Management poor although they had no voice in a busy civil service environment.
Pros
Pension
Cons
No Promotion prospects
Productive but suffocating company
Casework Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans16 January 2017
The staff make this company a pleasure to work for; but there is very little room for progression if you want a career. It appears to be ever-downsizing and merging offices, making job security unstable and adding pressure onto the teams without increasing the staff available.
Pros
Great leave entitlement, flexible working hours
Cons
Long hours, no room for progression, ever-increasing workload