Cromwell Group

Cromwell Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews
Unsettling at times
The organisation is going through an unsettling period, but the good news is that leaders are working to stabilise and make the company great again. Communication could be much better, as this would support people to come to terms with the new direction and their role in it. The culture is quite traditional, lots of 'old guard' who really could do with moving on. Lack of accountability is a theme, but with time its likely this will be routed out and people taking responsibility for their part in its success. The most enjoyable part of the job is the pace and levels of learning I have - that's great. The worst is not knowing if there will be a job and the blame culture that exists. Pay and benefits are improving, as are benefits - that's quite high profile and really welcome, like the reduction in working hours without a reduction in pay.
Pros
You can make a difference if you are committed
Cons
Lack of accountability
Soul destroying, toxic environment
Cromwell is soul destroying and a toxic environment. Bullying, bi!#hing and back stabbing is a strong presence. Human Resources is untrustworthy and the company has made several redundancies and more to come. The company is also losing millions.
Company has terrible customer service
Company has huge problems losing money year on year they made 250 redundant in 2019.
Wage is the lowest in their market place for similar Job.

Work atmosphere is awful staff very low not happy stress levels are through the roof and expectations are high with low

Financial reward.

Turnover of staff is very high
Great Workplace
I worked within the HR team as an internal recruiter for over 2 years, I really enjoyed working with the team. When I joined the company were completing a restructure, this included redundancies, consultations and reviews.
Pros
Team and creative individuals
Cons
Poor Management, Reduc
Great Place to Work
I have worked for Cromwell for 2 years. I started as Internal Sales and have recently been successful in my application to become a Key Account Manager. The company conduct an engagement survey and they really focus on the results and have made many positive changes over the last 2 years, showing they are more than happy to listen to feedback and criticism as long as its constructive. I feel some of the negative reviews are unfair and the Leadership team are working hard to ensure Cromwell continues to be a great place to work. If you are happy to provide a good days work, remain positive then there are so many opportunities for progression and I have personally shown that is the truth. Support is offered both professionally and personally and I would highly recommend Cromwell as a place to work.
Recruitment process
I was a candidate for a sales role which I thankfully did not get.
I was a little wary at interview stage because of the formulaic and interview by numbers style and the evident blame culture which is endemic in the business.

This was confirmed when I got a call from an HR person, giving me feedback. A couple of reasons were given relating to the long list of questions I had to answer mostly stating that I had not tried to discover who was to be held accountable for customer service issues.

Being held accountable and reporting people for poor service is a theme running through the business. It seems a strange way of getting the best out of people.
Pros
Non perceivable.
Cons
Poor pay, blame culture, terrible reputation and customer service
Dehumanising Kafkaesque nightmare
I used to love this job and the place. I still have friends here and wish them all well. Sad to have been 'released' after many years of service. All that hard work and dedication ultimately only to be discarded of like garbage. Horrible.

Top tips for agency workers.

When the work is slow (which is often) you will be sent home. My advice would be to apply to Screwfix instead. I hear they treat you with dignity over there.

Top tips for Cromwell workers.

Find work elsewhere.

To Cromwell I have the following to say. Thank you for releasing me from my position. I was devistated as I was good at my job but it did push me to find a better place, which lets face it wasn't too hard.
Pros
Some very nice work colleagues
Cons
Too many dictating managers with big egos
March 2019
Terrible management, awful HR leaders and business losing lots of money failing across majority of department and treats employees terribly. Under pay across most roles. Systems are awful. Talk a lot but dont action anything. Avoid
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cromwell Group?
Quotations and customer service
Be ready to work with 9 out of 10 idiots, horrible atmosphere created by 1 or 2 incompetant management. Debilatating work.. bullying is ignored, and altogether most horrible people i have had to work with in 20 yrs..
Pros
Cons
Moron collegues on my team.. quotations.. even poorer management.. gormless
Not an ideal company to work for
Minimal training and was expected to know everything
Constantly shouted at

Mistakes not tolerated

Not an ideal company to work for

Made some good friends
Pros
Local
Cons
Training inadequate
work experience
I did my work experience at Cromwell as a part off my AAT level 2 course at college and found it a very good experience as i learnt a lot about the subject i was studying and more important areas of finance.
Totally unappreciated
Not a good place to work , only care about is profits ( not shared with staff) deep cost cutting, poorly run , glad I got made redundant , will miss work mates
Pros
Team mates
Cons
Low wages, unappreciated
Toxic environment
An ill-managed company that offers employees no more than the bare minimum the law allows them to get away with.

Stupefyingly incompetent managers, team leaders and glorified charge-hands use the most heinous of tactics - bullying, harassment, character assassination - to achieve targets and advance their own personal gain

A truly toxic environment with appalling conditions and bogus concern for health & safety conditions all conspire to a continuous revolving door of staff resulting in a workforce that never has enough people trained up to speed at any given time.

If you're prepared to cosy up to unsavoury supervisors and fall in with their dubious methods of rule, then you're likely climb the career/wage ladder. If however, your face doesn't fit, then abandon hope all ye that enter here - you're on your own and no one has your back.

Lip service is disingenuously paid to the virtues of team-work and camaraderie, but its as insincere as anything else in their manifesto. This is an engineered culture of finger-pointing, blame and backstabbing and its every man & woman for themselves.

Cromwell is a strong contender for the worst place I have ever worked and I strongly advise anyone applying for a position there to approach with extreme caution (this is about the kindest thing I can find in my heart to say about this company). You have been warned.
Pros
Local, regular hours
Cons
Management, wage, prospects, minimal breaks, working conditions etc.
Excellent place to work
Learned too much to put into here! Setting up cromwell indonesia from zero was one of my favourite adventures! Negotiating with french suppliers was the hardest!
Pros
Meeting and learining new cultures
Cons
Sometimes forgeting which airport I was at!
Ignorant staff
Poor pay. No progression.ignorant team members. Narrow minded. No support from managers.old offices. Noisy rooms.bullying. penny pinching.hr don't care. Basic training.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Same boring work and ignorant team members
Dont bother
They've just laid 15 people off from the Cardiff with a view of closing 4-5 more branches by the end of the year we're the only one in Wales yet they're letting us go it won't be long before all their contracts give up on them Grainger are a terrible company to work for only apply if your desperate was gutted to leave but that was only because of my work mates. From the management up you couldn't trust them as far as you could throw them
Pros
Staff
Cons
No trust, branch closures
The IT department that wants to advance
Working for Cromwell in the IT department is quiet the experience.
They are flexible on the working hours and when they allow arrangements to work from home a few days a month. While every person int he IT department has a different skill set, yet they somehow fit well together as a well oiled machine.

The are constantly driving forward to improve themselves, both as individuals and as a company.

The drawback is that they just came out of an era where that wasn't the case, so some of the technologies and practices are dated, some as old as 20 years. This can be frustrating and lead to conflict but they are all eager to move on from them.
Pros
Free drink (cold and warm), huge parking, quarterly bonus, free training in whichever field you want, peer reviews
Cons
Open office for the whole IT department, HQ is at a different location
Not good
Teams do not communicate, Management do not communicate what is happening. Low wages and no team work. There is no progression and no one wants to work beyond what they do.
- Varied working days
- Additional operations management

- Strong team works well together

- Hardest part of the job is lack of response to emails

- Working with my colleagues
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
Job Stability
No comment
I have worked here pretty much all my career. I used to really enjoy it but now I feel like I need a change of scenery. I do not feel like I have job satisfaction anymore
The company was taken over & the changes that were made effected my kid
Was a great company to work for the 27 years I was there , great people and wry professional company, I enjoyed working at this company & learned a great deal
Pros
Secure job