Crawley Borough Council

Crawley Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom13 reviews
Crawley Borough Council is a great place to work, you are a part of a strong team completing tasks for the local sport groups. Some sports groups will even include you in their meetings to discuss progress and what they want to achieve which is great.
Depending on what patch you work on and in which area you work, your work day will vary. You will either empty and change bins along with litter picking different streets or areas, or you will go to different areas throughout the day maintaining shrubs and hedges, or a combination of both. Alternatively, if you are with a grass cutting team, you will cut grass areas in different streets, either strimming, blowing the paths, or cutting the grass on a ride-on mower if so qualified. However, grass cutting is dependent on weather, as it will not be done in the rain, definitely not in heavy rain. There is a lot of work to get through, but the environment is fairly relaxed, as everyone tries to help each other get things done, and once you are given your work for the day, you are pretty much your own boss while out in the field.
Due to the redevelopment of the Town Hall, you are almost working in a building site, due to the noise levels.
Not enough staff, but the staff are what makes it a nice place and it will hopefully it will be a lot better, once the building has improved.
CBC for me has been a great experience! Being part of a team, they become almost your family. Plenty of banta and uplifting laughs. As well as work that you feel proud of once the job is completed. Fairly paid better than most plus a great pension... It shouldn’t be underestimated!
Fantastic people and varied work as a plumber. Would always like to go back and continue working. Specialist in immersion tanks vented and invented also disabled shower rooms and kitchens and bathrooms.
I have worked with vulnerable people for the last ten years and the job has been so interesting and rewarding. I have learnt that people are different and every one has their own individuality in them. Everyone needs to be treated with respect and dignity despite their ability with achievements. Inclusion in the community is crucial for gaining confidence and data protection is highly upheld in cases of maintaining confidentiality.
Pros
teach you how to exercise your patience
Cons
unpredictable behaviors at all times
A flexible and often very variable employment.

Some older/poor fashioned management styles still practiced.

But they are at least open to trying to change.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lots of Management Momentum
Morning calls sometimes double morning calls at other schemes.
Meeting and dealing with lots of different cultures English not their first language.

Very good management two managers at the end of a telephone/

Lone working.

Making sure you have seen or called a tenant.

Going home knowing everyone is safe.
Pros
Head Hunted in 2015 as I used to work for them from 2001 to 2010.
Cons
Lots of driving
Good points
CBC offer flexible working, an essential car users car loan, bicycle loan scheme, a good maternity package and excellent training opportunities.

There are lots of lovely friendly people working at the organisation, and a majority of them are very keen to help the public. CBC has progressed, with many departments becoming increasing customer led

Bad points

Staff numbers have reduced over the years, so it is difficult to complete all work and maintain high standards of customer care at all times. Management tend not to be innovative, and are often viewed by staff as being change adverse. Staff feel dispensable and undervalued

Many of the offices are in a poor state of repair, with dirty carpets and inadequate kitchen facilities.
An ideal role for myself, a shame it was only a short term contract! Completely a new working environment but enjoyable and an educational for me.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Crawley Borough Council?
I very thankful that tilgate cafe was my first job because it is very relaxing when I start, thanks to my co-workers and managers.
it taught me all the skills that i now use in all the jobs I've had since then: talking to customers, dealing with difficult customers, working on a till, health and safety in the work place, working in a team.

as with most jobs that hard yet best part of my job was dealing with customers cause in summer with the long queues they would all start to get angry after about 3 because of how long it would take us to get to them. but you always have those customers that would understand because they have normal be there them selves.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very stressful during summer
Busy diary management, travel arranging both internal and overseas. A lot of event organising. Minute / note taking every week as management meetings. Great office to work in, fun and lively but all focussed.
Pros
Near to home
Cons
no career progression
It was my placement for work for work experience I am currently a student at Oriel High School.