Cranswick Country Foods (Norfolk)

Cranswick Country Foods (Norfolk) Employee Reviews

United Kingdom9 reviews
good company to work for but very heavy job management encourages people to get the best out of them but some of the times gets a bit hard as at the end of the day you certainly feel tired
Hgv driver push push push all the time, management are a joke don't know what the job is. No home life, hours of the devil. Glad to be out of there. Don't do it.
Pros
Cons
The management, the hours.
Busy job in production - cold in the factory (need to wear layers), but given all the PPE you need. Trained so you know how to do your job and management are there for questions and support. Great people to work with and it makes the days go quick when you are busy and can have a bit of a laugh at the same time.

Lots of people who have started out as Production Ops have progressed to earn more money in jobs with more responsibility and into Team Leader and Supervisor positions. If you work hard and are loyal, you will be rewarded with development and progression.
Pros
Frequent competitions & activities to get involved with during breaks
Cons
Can be long days and its cold in the factory
I have worked on many pig farms with many years experience and am so pleased to have started working with Cranswick. First day spent with HR and induction process dealing with standard operating procedures plus health & safety.
Provided me with all necessary PPE before starting work with all their farms being fully equipped with up to date kit. Clearly a company who takes pride in the maintenance of machinery and the support from all involved is second to none.

My manager is very knowledgeable in all aspects of the pig industry and is so passionate about his job that you feel comfortable in his surroundings.
Pros
Good wage and plenty benefits
Worked as stockman on an outdoor breeding farm, major issues where obtaining or gaining access to basic P.P.E. such as gloves, overalls and wellington boots. most of the staffs attuited was awful not only towards others workers but treatment towards the animals was unassay and horrific, electric fence was over 10 years old and unable to contain livestock, which lead to pigs escaping into the near by Forrest. none of the staff checking the farrow took any pride in their job. workers who have been working within the company for years didn't know anything about any of the medications, pigs where left to suffer because of no medical intervention was carried out. staff routinely neglected vaccinating piglets and would generally opening bottles and pouring them onto the floor. syringes where not replaced regularly leading to staff being forced to make do with what they had which meant piglets where not being vaccinated. pigs that sustained injury such as broken back or legs would be left for weeks waiting on management to shoot them. staff within the company on other farms would leave mid way through the day and not return usually sending picture of themselves in the local pubs.
machinery was dangerously patched together, farrow huts where dangerously patched together leaving nails and screws exposed for pigs cut themselves as well as staff when weening.
I worked for many companies (mainly industrial). I admit that for the first time in my life I see such a shocking place as Cransvick in Eye. Start job without training, someone did COSHH tests for
me (signed by my name!), you take your work clothes and wellingtons home because there are no cabinets, hygene operative cleans toilets, canteens, floors throughout the company.
Official response from Cranswick Country Foods (Norfolk)
7 July 2020
This review relates to a different site than the one this page is dedicated to.
Please do contact your local site HR team to raise your concerns and they will provide support in resolving them.
I find the farms a great place to work, yes you have to work every other weekend but only about 3 hours/day and i'm paid accordingly. we have all the tools to do the job, so this helps with the work load and makes it easier and more welfare frendly for the livestock. Sometmes in the winter it can be harder work due to the weather but the pro's outweigh the cons. Highly recomend Wayland farms.
the job itself was good and fun.
the lack of management let me down.

the salary was great. the factory was clean and friendly but lack of management was bad.
Cranswick does not care about the employees or about the aninal welfare all they care is about saving money, I've worked here for 1 year and 2 months, wouldn't reccomend this job for anyone, avoid this place, they pay you not alot for the hours you do, working 12 days until you get 2 days off.... not a fan of this place
Official response from Cranswick Country Foods (Norfolk)
17 September 2019
Animal welfare is a priority for our business and we would strongly refute any suggestion to the contrary. Any concerns regarding company practice should be reported to us with specific information so we can understand these concerns further, rather than using this forum for such serious allegations. We would encourage the use of our internal procedures to make a statement with evidence so we can investigate. This can be done anonymously via our whistleblowing call line if individuals prefer to ensure we are able to address all concerns.