Cranfield University

Cranfield University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
A great institution for focused, postgraduate education and industry collaboration, but the semi-corporate nature of Cranfield fosters a job culture that can feel colder and more focused on personal ambition than other academic institutions. Competitive people who are comfortable with this may excel here, while those who are early in their career may struggle with the fast pace of work and harried management.
L'université met à disposition toutes les ressources nécessaire aux étudiants chercheur afin qu'il puisse s'épanouir au mieux dans leur travail.
It is overall not a bad place to work as PhD student. During the time at Cranfileld I had several opportunity to interact with a lot of people coming from other universities or industries by developing business skills beside of technical skills. However, as being in the middle of nowhere it is not recommended to live nearby.
Pros
Enjoying student life
Cons
Cranfield is very nice place to work where you meet lovely people to work with.
There are issues with the management side though.

Some managers seem to favour other workers who's face's fit better within a certain group.

But I still had a good experience working there and would recommend
Spent over 30 years with the Silsoe Campus, best years of my life. Loved it.
Had various posts when employed here including: Receptionist/Telephonist. Visual aids assistant, and lastly library assistant.
As a PhD researcher at Cranfield University I worked on a major European Project. Was a great experience and found the work rewarding and engaging. Would recommend.
A great place to gain experience with an environment giving you flexibility to carry out your day-to-day activities as well as pursue ambitious projects.
Finance structure of the University and management of inter-departmental collaboration is quite poor which has inevitably led to lack of 'working together' culture.
Really enjoyed my time at Cranfield University and was sad to leave, but due to personal reasons had to.

Worked in the Registry Dept and got on well with my colleagues.

Cannot think of anything else to write as this was a long time ago
Very insightful, a lot of top of the art facilities, and experts working in the industry with very good knowledge and understanding of research and relevant work
I worked for the Department of Power and Propulsion, one of the most successful units at Cranfield.

Historically, this is the department where the aircraft engine has been conceived as a concept and was also implemented and tested.

I had the opportunity to work next to the most reputable scientist to develop AI technology to optimise aircraft missions and energy generation devices.

Lots of R&D projects with IUK and european projects
Pros
very relaxed and friendly environment
Cons
few commercial opportunities/projects
Great place to work. Very supportive and inclusive. Had a great experience working with and learning from colleagues. Workplace is very diverse and manager is understanding and approachable.
A good university for a lot of prospects for postgraduate students and researchers. typically designed for PhD and onwards research. My time there was great.
Your role at Cranfield is varied, no 2 days are the same. You are supported within your role and you work as part of a team. People are very nice and friend
Cons
Parkig can be a problem
Lecturer for MSc course in Reg Affairs. the course was held over 4 years with 2 modules per annum. I lectured in both IVD and general requirements for medical devices
Cranfield university gives you the opportunity to explore and brings out the best in you. Gives you a proper people management and interpersonal relationship skill.
Working closely with large OEMs on high value research and development programs.Dedicated and committed staff with a great work environment. Excellent place to learn and develop,
Pros
learning environment
Cons
It is a normal working place. Staff has some benefits and some university holidays. Standard working environment. Different teams may have slightly different culture.
Not a bad place to work, very fast pace environment, never really know who is in charge due to most people giving themselves promotions. A lot of young people and staff turnover is very high. Been there 3 months and still meeting people due to there being so many people working yet not many covering shifts. You can have holiday whenever you want being a casual on a 0 hour contract.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Terrible, terrible payroll
Work was busy and challenging never a day was the same. Loved working with customers to ensure a great event. Enjoyed working on my own and also as part of a team.
I clean kitchens which is very satisfying, management have respect for us workers, there are students from overseas and I enjoy talking to them about what they are studying and where they are from.
Pros
Free breakfast
Learn something new every day, interesting characters all very different but lovely to work with. We deal with some very different areas of research from electric vehicles to digital forensics.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Academics