Covance Employee Reviews

Get in and get out!
Pathology Scientist (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire10 April 2019
Covance was my first science job out of uni and I went in with hope of pursuing a long career with them but it quickly became apparent that it was never going to be long term thing. This review is a completely unbiased and honest assessment.

Training & Progression opportunities are not, I repeat ARE NOT distributed fairly. Management progress who they want when they want, nothing is merit based its entirely a face fits culture. If your good at schmoozing and playing the game of politics you may do well. If you are budding scientist who wants to be judged on your scientific credentials be prepared to be highly frustrated.

Blame Culture - the same principle as above applies. Management seemingly come down harder on others for similar mistakes. If you’re on the right side of things mistakes will be brushed aside, if you’re not then they will be logged & accumulated and used against you when the management feel fit!

Pay - Base salary is pretty much as low as you can start on at roughly £18500. Which is all well and good as a novice but be prepared not to move above £20,000 for at least 2-3 years. You will not reach £30,000 before 10 years of service. Overtime rates are generous but are dependent on workload meaning things can dry up pretty quickly.

‘It’s always been that way’ - is the motto of Covance in Harrogate. Those (not all) who have been in the company for a while are ignorant to suggestions of improvement and very rarely take ideas seriously. Their management styles are still in the 90’s, they have a long way to go in this aspect. I believe this is due to the
  more... sites remote location. Harrogate is not the most cosmopolitan place around and it seems this site especially got lost with the movement of times. A lot of institutionalised personnel who seem to forget a world exists away from Harrogate.

Skills - If you can put up with the aforementioned issues YOU WILL become a much better scientist. If you embraced the training provided and try to force through as much new techniques as possible you will be employable anywhere in the scientific sector within a year - that is a fact. Having Covance on your CV carries weight going forward hence the title GET IN AND GET OUT.

In summary, if you are offered a job at Covance - Harrogate be prepared for a highly toxic culture, if you can withstand a year you’ll be employable anywhere.
Pros
Become highly employable elsewhere.
Cons
Toxic culture, favouritism, blame culture, very low pay
Good
Experimental Officer III (Current Employee) –  Harrogate27 February 2019
Good employer with great staff benefits.
Provide great on the job and classroom based training and recieve good support from line management.
Potential for cross department work.
A good place to work with good and cooperative colleagues.
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  UK21 January 2019
I enjoyed my time working for Covance, The office environment truly reflects team work. Office provides good work life balance. I was able to work flexible hours and encourages working from home.
Administration Co-ordinator
Administration Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire10 January 2019
Working in a fast-paced corporate environment the average day involved preparing reports and ensuring quality of all reports, managing the work load of the team.
contract research organisation
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire19 September 2018
learning on the job and ability to travel worldwide are the essential skills as well as excellent customer management. international work environment gives exposure to various work cultures.
Worst Contract Company
CRA (Former Employee) –  Surrey14 September 2018
Do not work for Chiltern now Covance. Was sold a future but after leaving well-paid permanent job but I was terminated subsequently with no warning. Promises made prior to taking this role were ignored along with my appeal. The office I was placed into was horrendous and run on fear & threats & staff were leaving daily. Worst decision of my life to work for Chiltern/Covance.
Pros
Position was local
Cons
False promises
Poor place to work, good wage
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Leeds8 August 2018
wouldn't work here again if I could help it. No proper training, expect the highest standard which is fine, however without proper training how can you succeed, the wage was good, which is the best thing I can actually say about it to be honest. Worked all the hours god sent, had a tough time with partner in and out of hospital which seemed to get held against me.
Pros
good wage
Cons
not properly trained, bad management no work life balance
Hated it
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  Leeds1 August 2018
It always seemed to me that the people working there weren't especially happy, and would rather have been somewhere else. I certainly wanted to be somewhere else! I recently read an article that a big motivator in people changing jobs is not to leave the role itself, but to get away from their manager. I would have left sooner if I could have done! It's in the past now, so I can let it go.
Cons
Terrible line manager
Work place
Associate Pharmacometric Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds13 June 2018
I enjoyed my time here and Ilearnt a lot. The environment was friendly and people were always willing to help. During my 12months here I learnt lots of new things
Project Management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire1 May 2018
I enjoy the work at Covance however there are too many changes happening all at once and Senior Management are showing very poor leadership so the Project Managers do not know what processes they should be following. In the end we are defi ning the processes ourselves.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Poor leadership
Avoid this place!
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire16 April 2018
Having worked at a variety of similar establishments over the last 20 years, I have to say this is the worst place I have ever worked. Workload is ridiculous, very rarely do you get a proper break (whilst management sit in their office!) Huge blame culture, any small mistake is made into something huge... although if your 'face fits' management will sweep it under the carpet!!!
If you have family or want a life outside of work, don't bother. You have to put your work before anything! There is absolutely no flexibility.
A lot of people who stay there have done since school so they know no difference. Frustratingly, a lot of the technicians are more qualified then management. Another example of 'if your face fits'!
AVOID!!!!
Pros
Can gain some good experience
Cons
Management, long hours, no flexibility, blame culture
The place is a joke
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Harrogate13 April 2018
The management is a joke they do not care about the workers. Its all about the money the company make. If you have kids stay away. If you like to get people in trouble it the job for you they pay more if you get people in trouble.. The wages are a joke for the work you do unless you are a manager.. You will be asked to do overtime of free no payment. But you can have loo time off. Weekends are a joke. Sometimes you can not leave if some of the work is not done even if you have something to do. If have a long term illness and need a lot of time off good luck.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
To many to mention
Terrible place to work
Experimental Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire18 March 2018
Awful company to work for. The Harrogate site is especially poor. Management have no idea what they are doing. There is a terrible blame culture which means noone speaks out when problems arise. The pay is distribution between operational staff and senior management is shocking. Avoid Covance at all costs.
good workplace
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire10 January 2018
overall good place to work. had weekends off, standard monday to friday 9-5 job. quite diverse place to work with different opportunities. good work culture, and quite friendly
very busy successfull unit
Clinical Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 November 2017
very professional well trained staff
well run clinical research unit
excellent facilities for clinical trials volunteers
free coffee
free fruit fridays and free popcorn firdays
Pros
excellent training
Cons
work life balance
SAS Programmer I (Current Employee) –  Leeds2 October 2017
Excellent workplace with flexible hours. A typical day includes reading emails and working with leads on studies, to ensure we meet the deadlines for each client
Pros
Flexi time
Great people but hard work
Animal Husbandry Technician (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire15 September 2017
The hours can be long and the work stressful, especially if you are working weekends. You work one in three weekends with no time back during the week, which can mean you work for 12 days in a row. Normal day is 7:45 to 16:00, weekends are 7:30 up to anywhere from 13:00-17:00, whenever the work is done.

The people are fantastic, they are what keep you going through the day. There is a great social side to the job with lots of birthdays and parties organised.

You can get lots of qualifications if that's what you're there for. Progress as far as you like. Management is hit and miss, some good some bad.
Pros
Great social scene, canteen and vending machines onsite, great staff, working with animals
Cons
long hours, stressful work at times, management can be useless
Good environment and staff members
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Leeds10 September 2017
Great place to get experience as a recent graduate, options to be cross trained and progress, extra pay available on weekends, evenings and overtime also. Casual contracts is a downside to the company.
Feasibility Associate
Feasibility Associate (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 August 2017
Acts as a key contributor to the proposal team to support Covance in winning new business. Working independently, and being responsible to deliver an optimized integrated strategic approach to deliver the right countries, right sites and right patients for Request for Proposals in phase I-II studies including programs.
Great colleagues, bad management and work/life balance
Administrator (Current Employee) –  UK2 July 2017
Management expect far too much and constantly under-allocate resources for tasks and entire departments.There is some great career progression possibilities, but it is dependent on the influence of management on senior management/finance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covance. Our community is ready to answer.

Covance Reviews by Location