Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom15 reviews
My night Job
My current job which is night shifts at the NHS Countess of Chester Hospital involves brushing/mopping floors, emptying bins and hoovering offices as well s cleaning toilets.

Since been in this job I have learned all about infection control, COSHH, Manual Handling as well as how different people have different working methods and routines. I have also learned about different peoples needs and developed a good rapport with patients/visitors and staff where i work thereby making me a better employee.

The management where i work is unorganised and have very poor communication with each other, The management has a very unsympathetic attitude towards its staff in regards offering staff help with any questions or requests that they might have regarding stock requisition or annual leave.

My co-workers are unhappy people who just wander about eh hospital doing their job as they are all of retirement age and find the job to be a nice wind down before they retire from their working life. Although for the most part they are pleasant people with a good sense of honour and a good working ethic.

The hardest part of the job is split between two things. The first is the fact its permeant night shifts 9pm-5am Monday - Friday night/Saturday morning, the second is the mind numbing tedium/boredom which you have to endure as the job and the workplace itself is very boring & not really friendly between staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job is some of the people that you meet, either staff or visitors or patients. some of them are always happy regardless of whats going on with
 - more...
Pros
Friendly People, Good Pay
Cons
Poor Management, Permanent Night Shifts, Very Hot Temperature & Tedious Job
My Experience as Porter
As ex Porter in this hospital I would like describe my experience in positive and negative way.The staff are very friendly, they help you a lot, and you get to know new people with different cultures,it's good place to integrate. I can't say same with the management where i worked,is disorganised,they have very poor communication with the staff,someone is quiet rude even with bad attitude,and sometimes you're forced to do a job you've never done before,even without ever taking any training.They will never help you to provide any keys to use the proper equipment to make your job easy and smooth,even after they've trained you to use them.You use a teletracking system that should favor the service for patients, but in reality it helps them to constantly monitor the jobs you do, they constantly spy on the computer the time it takes to do a job, how much time you use to take a break,seeming to be at the big brother house. The Salary is not well paid for what you do, unless you work many weekends or few night shifts.The funniest part of the job are some people you meet, staff or visitors or patients, many of them are always happy, and this leads you to give more positivity and affection towards them, and the job you are doing in that moment. Most of the time you even forget that you are in the workplace, because it makes the environment more pleasant to be in.
Awful place to work
Management is a joke . In a toxic environment where people will lie to get brownie points .

You will work a 11 hour day with a 20 minute break while the management are never in past 2pm .

People ruin the place
Excellent team work
At the COCH there is an excellent team work this. This is a small but busy environment. In my experience management have been supportive and there has been excellent multi-disciplinary team work.
Some nice teams to work in
Can be stressful at times but everyone pulls together and it can often be a very lovely environment to work in. Often you are under staffed and this can be difficult
Loved the countess
Worked at the countess for 2 years, absolutly loved it, worked in theatre's which included going to the wards from time to time. Everyone very pleasant and helpful.
Theatres are well organised and a great place to work. Everyday is different and interesting. Was nice to be apart of a well organised team.
Poor wage
You work harder than people who don’t care and earn less than them. Hard work gets you nowhere here. Women create a bad working atmosphere, disappointing.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Atmosphere and wage
Document everything
Management and HR actively take part in bullying and discrimination, dishonesty is a job requirement. The actual work is satisfying but with the amount of time spent on covering incompetence and carrying out managerial feuds it makes the jobs a struggle to complete. It would be amusing to see a fly on the wall documentary of this place if the consequences weren't so severe. Blatant wasting of money and resources is the norm and cover ups are mandatory.
Worked there for a decade. I was the last of the male members to leave in a 100% male staff turnover during that time. It seems their tolerance for incompetence isn't as strong.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Team work needed to combat managerial issues.
Cannot retain experienced staff. Lack.of qualified nurses and do not treat staff well at all.
Senior staff do not appreciate trained staff.
There is a theme of 'It's who you know' for promotion.

Alot of issues appear covered up.

Staff miss breaks at time and alot of senior staff have bad attitudes.
Cons
Do not treat staff very well.
Working in the kitchen
Terrible management, use hours as a weapon against bank staff, unprofessional aggressive attitude, often straying into bullying divisive tactics.

I will say now that most of the people working in the kitchen are lovely hard workers, I find it hard to say just how horrible the management can be though, basically you need to be extremely desperate to stay in this job and be treated like you are nothing, many good staff have left and will continue to leave under the current management.

I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Decent pay on weekend
Cons
Appalling management
Good people to work with
Enjoyable meeting different people every day, great people to work with and always helped with changing my hours. very supportive nice department to work in
Pros
hours
Cons
salary
Very interesting and hard work
The experience at the Countess of Chester hospital was brilliant because it opened my eyes to how hard doctors work and how skilled and motivated they are.
The hardest part of the job would be diagnosing someone with a life changing condition.

Everyone was incredibly friendly and happy and that was what made it a great experience.
Pros
good education
Cons
extremely tiring
Busy
Busy on your feet all day on the wards, clinics and theatres. HR is a disgrace at times. I've worked for Medical Staffing department dealing with doctors Rotas and the management gave little encouragement and no room to progress. Every other department are lovely to work on. I've worked at the trust for 9 years and I enjoy working with patients and staff.
Pros
Nice staff
Not a supportive place to work
I was diagnosed with a learning difficulty during my employment and the Countess of Chester refused to do anything to support me in spite of their legal obligation to do so.
Busy, fast paced, demanding working environment.
To work at this particular trust I personally believe you need to be a very dedicated member of staff and be prepared to evolve your job role on a daily basis.

Working for the countess in any individual role from portering to a senior management you need to be prepared to 'go the extra mile'.

You need to be highly motivated, be able to work autonomously as well as a strong team member.

It is essential to have excellent communication skills, and to be personable in any given situation.

Working for this trust is extremely demanding but there are moments of job satisfaction.
Pros
Cons
No extra pay for overtime and poor work/life balance.