COTTON TRADERS Employee Reviews

Fun and secure
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth16 October 2017
Fast paced and fun filled. Very busy , always something to do from housekeeping to customer service and stock replenishment. Lovely envronment and reliable management, always ready to encourage the staff.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ferrybridge, West Yorkshire11 October 2017
In a typical day at Cotton Traders i would open the store, check the float and proceed to clean the store ready for the first arriving customers. Within this job role i have learned how to conduct myself in a professional environment, as well as learning appropriate skills for any work place. I was a Sales Assistant so was never in the management role however i would often be left alone in store or one of the higher ranking staff members within the store at a time. I was able to conduct staff and run a store for however long necessary.
Pros
Good place to start working
Cons
Not long enough hours - pay too low
customer services
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent4 September 2017
Ok company. Worked my up from a small part time position of 8 hours to store manager quite quickly. Small friendly teams and good management style. Not overall busy.
Workplace culture
Cotton Trader (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands16 August 2017
Cotton Traders have been good to me over the past two years that I have worked for them. I am being made redundant, which is unfortunate, because if there were more stores closer to home, then I would happily do a job transfer.
Pros
My manager and team.
Cons
Having to work at a moments notice
could be bettter
Team trader (Former Employee) –  Strensham services10 August 2017
got on ok with most staff. manager wasn't one of those people you could go to if you had a problem. rubbish hours, on a sunday you would work 9-6. I did a lot of cashing up, opening and closing store, which in my experience only managers did that ( I wasn't a manager)
Pros
50% off food and drink in services
Cons
manager wasnt approchable
Not the best place i have worked. Mainly due to poor management.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sedlescombe, East Sussex24 July 2017
Whatever you did did not seem to be good enough. You were expected to change your days or shifts at a moments notice. Even doing 10 straight days at one point. Some days you were expected to do all day without even a lunch break due to no cover.
Cons
Part time staff are expected to alter work patterns at the drop of a hat.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Gretna, Dumfries and Galloway30 May 2017
Shop tends to be busy every day. I learnt about handling money and speaking to customers. Most enjoyable part was getting along with my colleagues however management was not as easy to get along with.
Cons
Problems when asking for days off
Rubbish
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire23 March 2017
I enjoyed this job at first but then realised managemwnr are awful and there was no orginization, would never go back to work there again. Its rubbish
Pros
Breaks
Proceed with caution.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex4 March 2017
No training or support but high expectations for little reward. General sales assistants all very nice but be prepared to work a lot of extra hours.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Have to provide a lot of cover and pay does not reflect the responsibility you have.
Lovely place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear16 December 2016
My duties included serving customers handling cash,cards and gift voucher sales.
I was also a key holder and cashed up the till at the end of the day. Also done deliveries and catologue orders. The staff are so friendly and was a lovely place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
poor
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Addlestone17 September 2016
Without a manager to run the store, I was left to run it without any help or instructions from Head of Region at 18yrs old. Not a great place to work unless you're at college just doing this job to get you by. I was a sales assistant for 2 years at the Addlestone branch which started to collapsed in September 2015 due to poor managment and unfairness to staff
Pros
discount of store clothing
Cons
poor management out of store
Absolutely Awful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton21 June 2016
Worked for Cotton Traders for 4 years. In numerous occasions I worked every day for a month, up and down the country. Did they appreciate it? No. Not in the slightest.
Dreadfully boring place to work, full of people who are full of self importance who think they're doing well in life, when in reality they're earning minimum wage and working a dead end job,
Cons
Fun and a great experience
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepreth4 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the two weeks work experience here as I have a great interest in animals and I learnt all about them and how to care for them.
Pros
Fun experiences
Cons
Not long enough doing work experience there.
Great staff, good place to work
Sales Assistant (Temp Contract) (Former Employee) –  Bridgend2 April 2016
Fun place to work, great staff

Meeting people, gaining experience of work.
Secure staff parking.

Sales Assistant. Serving customers at the till. Taking in deliveries.
Enjoyable and friendly co workers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent4 March 2016
Really enjoyed working at cotton traders, but only work for this company if you don't mind being on a minimum contact don't expect to ever get extra hours because even if someone leaves they will cut hours to save money for their bonus.You only get extra hours for holiday,sickness cover so more ideal for youngster or semi retired.
Pros
Friendly co workers / work as team
Cons
Like to cut hours when suits them
Awful
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford3 March 2016
awful place, awful people, awful clothes, awful pay, just awful

nasty 2 faced people dont care about staff, never busy and clothing is awful hard to pick uniform
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York26 January 2016
Cashing up/ banking
Training new members of staff
Deliveries and stockroom
the staff were friendly and everyone got on. i got full training and the manager is the best manager i worked for.
boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spalding, ENG17 November 2015
very boring job, you will do the same thing every shift and the workload is minimal.
you will spend most of the job waiting around and smiling at customers.
it picks up around summer and chistmas especially as people buy presents.
this means that you serve a lot more customers and this becomes your primary role.
organising the rails of clothes and organising the store is another primary role that you will undertake, but during the slower times, this is done once and then you spend the rest of your shift staring at the walls.
the stock room is usually a mess so this shoots a bit of fun into the shift if the manager allows you to spend a few hours organising and cleaning it, as it means you are actually doing something during your shift.
Trainee Assistant Technologist (Current Employee) –  Altrincham, ENG30 October 2015
Fab experience with Quality Control team,very nice team to work with. Shame salary is low and room for proression is very limited.Training is also not implemented when you arrive, learn on the job.
Pros
Wonderful team and great experience
Cons
room for progression is very limited, salary is low.
Boring, barley turned a profit apathetic head office inadequate managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashwell20 February 2015
turn up stand at the counter and wait for customers this was often for hours without a single customer, in the mean time we would have to restock which only consisted of a handful of garments resulting in my entire days being 90% waiting for customers. I learnt nothing that I didn't already know about retail other than that when companies don't respond the demands and blanket stock some of their advertised items that customers get angry and abuse the poor sales assistance for cotton traders incompetence. Management was awful Head office couldn't have cared less about any of your problems but were all to happy to send rude and angry emails complaining that your not meeting your targets despite not having any stock, that has been requested by us to them, to sell. Area manager was a crude vicious and vindictive man whom bullied my store manager and made rude and crass observations of staff when he would bother to visit. The store manager was a nice enough lady but was often stressed out her mind due to simply being unable to keep up with the changes that had happened over her long time at the store, she would often conflict other policies for her own as if it was her shop and not part of a larger company. My co-workers were lovely and patient, as you had to be to tolerate that awful place they were all supportive and kind. My supervisor was especially praise worthy as she essentially, for 20p more than a sales assistant, ran the store saving my managers back and making life bearable for the rest of us. The hardest part of the job was keeping my manager from having a full on meltdown  more... and standing in silence for hours on end unable to sit or do anything apart from stare at the wall. most enjoyable part was Sundays when the manager wasn't working and us level headed individuals could get what little jobs there were to do done over the length of the day and enjoying ourselves as we did it.  less
Pros
actualy a job in my tiny town
Cons
boring, low paid sensless