COTTON TRADERS Employee Reviews

Additional Hours Holiday Pay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 June 2018
Extra pay, since March, is now being received in wages for overtime. 8.3% on top of each hour worked, which CT claim is for extra holiday pay for additional hours. I only found this out by querying the over payment. Good to be getting extra money but no store managers know anything about it. Other CT employees know nothing about it. No employee communication has been sent or letters sent. Is this because legislation stated that this payment should have been paid from 2015? Employees can ask for a 2 year back payment! The payment is hidden within the base salary and not obvious to the employee reading their payslip. When new candidates are being interviewed for jobs would it not be helpful for Managers/Agencies to be in the know about this?
So glad I have now left
Team trader (Former Employee) –  South East26 May 2018
Its not very good if you have a family ie: have children, especially young children or school age. Holidays are a pot luck thing. Ended up working more over the school holiday, which was awful. Missed out a lot on family time. Management don’t care, store manager had a favourite, which was not fair. The amount of work you have to do for minimum wage is awful. Get put on but don’t get anything for it, not even a thank you. I’ve worked in retail for around 20 years and have never worked for a retail company who do so much paper work and many unnecessary jobs, its ridiculous. The only good thing really was the girls I worked with
Good team members
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Witney West25 May 2018
I have learnt a lot about working in Retail and the pro and cons of it. The paperwork side and figures was one of the pros that i learnt and enjoyed working with figures and sorting out the daily paperwork. Working with customers and helping them with there questions and sorting out what they would like is also very pleasing knowing that you have helped someone.
Pros
working as a team and helping people.
Cons
Having very rude and ignorant customers
Something not right with this company
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cirencester, Gloucestershire19 February 2018
Went for an interview after applying for a part time post, I was offered to apply for Team leader with my experience in management. With two excellent companies. Something was not right the manager never made eye contact and misinformed and misled me. Out of pocket after agreeing to travel 40 miles for the interview. No wonder they cannot keep their staff.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Senior Management misleading
Great team to work with
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  South East20 January 2018
The best thing about working at Cotton Traders is the store team you work with, I was fortunate to have a great manager and team, and they are the only reason I stayed with the company so long. The pay is bad and does not reflect what is asked of you by the company, and on top of that you have to pay towards your uniform which you have to buy every 3 months. They have double standards in terms of what they expect of you, but it does not go the other way. The head office management don't seem to know what they are doing from one day to the next and are constantly contradicting themselves, it can get very tedious.
Cons
Pay is rubbish
Good
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester19 January 2018
Great place to work with a friendly and happy working environment, Long hours but the pay is more then suitable and justify the long days at work. Great company
Hideous place to work.
Team trader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 January 2018
Unfair low contracted hours, although expected to cover all holidays and sickness,minimum wage, hideous clothing unless your 60+ had to choose something every couple of months and pay for it, got 75% off but at their hefty prices was still almost a tenner for each item.. if they want you to wear it it should be free.. management a farse unless you were in with them. Got treated in fairly. Never listen to any problems hence stores always needing staff.!!
Poor
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire2 January 2018
The shifts are very disorganized, they change every few days. 1 day off at a time, 2 days off over Christmas and no time off over New Years. Never enough staff so if someone is off sick have to do 10hr shifts with no warning. Pros Nice people to work with.
Pros
Lovely people.
Family environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Addlestone6 December 2017
Small concession with 5 member team. Providing unique shopping experience and promotion of our casual clothing by shop and online offers. Multi-tasking customers, working in a team of 2-3 on daily basis towards targets, processing phone/store queries, ordering on-line, collection/returns, selling gift cards, processing of promotions. Application of Health and safety, working through deliveries, merchandising and housekeeping done by team only, no external help including stock takes.
Decent
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire6 December 2017
It's okay. It's often quite busy in terms of organizing, tasking and deliveries. It is quite physically intensive compared to other retail jobs I have had.
Fun and secure
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth16 October 2017
Fast paced and fun filled. Very busy , always something to do from housekeeping to customer service and stock replenishment. Lovely envronment and reliable management, always ready to encourage the staff.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ferrybridge, West Yorkshire11 October 2017
In a typical day at Cotton Traders i would open the store, check the float and proceed to clean the store ready for the first arriving customers. Within this job role i have learned how to conduct myself in a professional environment, as well as learning appropriate skills for any work place. I was a Sales Assistant so was never in the management role however i would often be left alone in store or one of the higher ranking staff members within the store at a time. I was able to conduct staff and run a store for however long necessary.
Pros
Good place to start working
Cons
Not long enough hours - pay too low
Wasn’t enough customers
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, Berkshire4 October 2017
I worked 4-12 hours a week which weren’t enough, I was on £5.50 an hour and getting paid monthly which wasn’t enough for me. They didn’t want me in for extra hours and my time was from 12-4 or 11-3 on a Saturday or Sunday.
Pros
Breaks in between
Cons
Not enough customers
customer services
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent4 September 2017
Ok company. Worked my up from a small part time position of 8 hours to store manager quite quickly. Small friendly teams and good management style. Not overall busy.
Workplace culture
Cotton Trader (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands16 August 2017
Cotton Traders have been good to me over the past two years that I have worked for them. I am being made redundant, which is unfortunate, because if there were more stores closer to home, then I would happily do a job transfer.
Pros
My manager and team.
Cons
Having to work at a moments notice
could be bettter
Team trader (Former Employee) –  Strensham services10 August 2017
got on ok with most staff. manager wasn't one of those people you could go to if you had a problem. rubbish hours, on a sunday you would work 9-6. I did a lot of cashing up, opening and closing store, which in my experience only managers did that ( I wasn't a manager)
Pros
50% off food and drink in services
Cons
manager wasnt approchable
Not the best place i have worked. Mainly due to poor management.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sedlescombe, East Sussex24 July 2017
Whatever you did did not seem to be good enough. You were expected to change your days or shifts at a moments notice. Even doing 10 straight days at one point. Some days you were expected to do all day without even a lunch break due to no cover.
Cons
Part time staff are expected to alter work patterns at the drop of a hat.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Gretna, Dumfries and Galloway30 May 2017
Shop tends to be busy every day. I learnt about handling money and speaking to customers. Most enjoyable part was getting along with my colleagues however management was not as easy to get along with.
Cons
Problems when asking for days off
Rubbish
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire23 March 2017
I enjoyed this job at first but then realised managemwnr are awful and there was no orginization, would never go back to work there again. Its rubbish
Pros
Breaks
Proceed with caution.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex4 March 2017
No training or support but high expectations for little reward. General sales assistants all very nice but be prepared to work a lot of extra hours.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Have to provide a lot of cover and pay does not reflect the responsibility you have.