COTTON TRADERS Employee Reviews

Great team to work with
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  South East20 January 2018
The best thing about working at Cotton Traders is the store team you work with, I was fortunate to have a great manager and team, and they are the only reason I stayed with the company so long. The pay is bad and does not reflect what is asked of you by the company, and on top of that you have to pay towards your uniform which you have to buy every 3 months. They have double standards in terms of what they expect of you, but it does not go the other way. The head office management don't seem to know what they are doing from one day to the next and are constantly contradicting themselves, it can get very tedious.
Cons
Pay is rubbish
Good
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester19 January 2018
Great place to work with a friendly and happy working environment, Long hours but the pay is more then suitable and justify the long days at work. Great company
Hideous place to work.
Team trader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 January 2018
Unfair low contracted hours, although expected to cover all holidays and sickness,minimum wage, hideous clothing unless your 60+ had to choose something every couple of months and pay for it, got 75% off but at their hefty prices was still almost a tenner for each item.. if they want you to wear it it should be free.. management a farse unless you were in with them. Got treated in fairly. Never listen to any problems hence stores always needing staff.!!
Poor
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire2 January 2018
The shifts are very disorganized, they change every few days. 1 day off at a time, 2 days off over Christmas and no time off over New Years. Never enough staff so if someone is off sick have to do 10hr shifts with no warning. Pros Nice people to work with.
Pros
Lovely people.
Decent
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire6 December 2017
It's okay. It's often quite busy in terms of organizing, tasking and deliveries. It is quite physically intensive compared to other retail jobs I have had.
Fun and secure
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth16 October 2017
Fast paced and fun filled. Very busy , always something to do from housekeeping to customer service and stock replenishment. Lovely envronment and reliable management, always ready to encourage the staff.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ferrybridge, West Yorkshire11 October 2017
In a typical day at Cotton Traders i would open the store, check the float and proceed to clean the store ready for the first arriving customers. Within this job role i have learned how to conduct myself in a professional environment, as well as learning appropriate skills for any work place. I was a Sales Assistant so was never in the management role however i would often be left alone in store or one of the higher ranking staff members within the store at a time. I was able to conduct staff and run a store for however long necessary.
Pros
Good place to start working
Cons
Not long enough hours - pay too low
Wasn’t enough customers
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, Berkshire4 October 2017
I worked 4-12 hours a week which weren’t enough, I was on £5.50 an hour and getting paid monthly which wasn’t enough for me. They didn’t want me in for extra hours and my time was from 12-4 or 11-3 on a Saturday or Sunday.
Pros
Breaks in between
Cons
Not enough customers
customer services
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent4 September 2017
Ok company. Worked my up from a small part time position of 8 hours to store manager quite quickly. Small friendly teams and good management style. Not overall busy.
Workplace culture
Cotton Trader (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands16 August 2017
Cotton Traders have been good to me over the past two years that I have worked for them. I am being made redundant, which is unfortunate, because if there were more stores closer to home, then I would happily do a job transfer.
Pros
My manager and team.
Cons
Having to work at a moments notice

Want to know more about COTTON TRADERS?

Ask a question
could be bettter
Team trader (Former Employee) –  Strensham services10 August 2017
got on ok with most staff. manager wasn't one of those people you could go to if you had a problem. rubbish hours, on a sunday you would work 9-6. I did a lot of cashing up, opening and closing store, which in my experience only managers did that ( I wasn't a manager)
Pros
50% off food and drink in services
Cons
manager wasnt approchable
Not the best place i have worked. Mainly due to poor management.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sedlescombe, East Sussex24 July 2017
Whatever you did did not seem to be good enough. You were expected to change your days or shifts at a moments notice. Even doing 10 straight days at one point. Some days you were expected to do all day without even a lunch break due to no cover.
Cons
Part time staff are expected to alter work patterns at the drop of a hat.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Gretna, Dumfries and Galloway30 May 2017
Shop tends to be busy every day. I learnt about handling money and speaking to customers. Most enjoyable part was getting along with my colleagues however management was not as easy to get along with.
Cons
Problems when asking for days off
Rubbish
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire23 March 2017
I enjoyed this job at first but then realised managemwnr are awful and there was no orginization, would never go back to work there again. Its rubbish
Pros
Breaks
Proceed with caution.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex4 March 2017
No training or support but high expectations for little reward. General sales assistants all very nice but be prepared to work a lot of extra hours.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Have to provide a lot of cover and pay does not reflect the responsibility you have.
Lovely place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear16 December 2016
My duties included serving customers handling cash,cards and gift voucher sales.
I was also a key holder and cashed up the till at the end of the day. Also done deliveries and catologue orders. The staff are so friendly and was a lovely place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
poor
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Addlestone17 September 2016
Without a manager to run the store, I was left to run it without any help or instructions from Head of Region at 18yrs old. Not a great place to work unless you're at college just doing this job to get you by. I was a sales assistant for 2 years at the Addlestone branch which started to collapsed in September 2015 due to poor managment and unfairness to staff
Pros
discount of store clothing
Cons
poor management out of store
Absolutely Awful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton21 June 2016
Worked for Cotton Traders for 4 years. In numerous occasions I worked every day for a month, up and down the country. Did they appreciate it? No. Not in the slightest.
Dreadfully boring place to work, full of people who are full of self importance who think they're doing well in life, when in reality they're earning minimum wage and working a dead end job,
Cons
Fun and a great experience
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepreth4 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the two weeks work experience here as I have a great interest in animals and I learnt all about them and how to care for them.
Pros
Fun experiences
Cons
Not long enough doing work experience there.
Great staff, good place to work
Sales Assistant (Temp Contract) (Former Employee) –  Bridgend2 April 2016
Fun place to work, great staff

Meeting people, gaining experience of work.
Secure staff parking.

Sales Assistant. Serving customers at the till. Taking in deliveries.