Cotton Traders

Cotton Traders Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews
Loved the job didn’t like being taken advantage of
Lack of support from above left as manager for a year only to be constantly knocked back and left to flounder.asked for training never got it
Under staffed over worked lack of communication
I've worked in retail for 32 yesrs and i have to say this is the best company i have worked for .
Cotton traders really do know what the meaning of family is and they really do there best to look after you. Yes I have targets to beat and TPA's to sell but if you can do that you will be fine. Customers are lovely and you do get your regular customers that come back because the service is so good. Overall a great company to work for .
Slow communicators - Rubbish upper management
Very friendly staff in the offices and on the shop floor. Upper management do not have great communication skills. The systems that are place are very complex which causes unnecessary work for the managers on the shop floor.
Pros
Good team spirit on the shop floor
Cons
Lack of upper management support
easy going
Good place to work for first job. pay is minimum. its relaxing and a friendly place to work. you work with only a few other colleges so you get to know everyone very well.
Fun Workplace, Holiday Pay lets it down
Worked for about 6 months on the phones. Minimum wage. Holidays are hard to book. Holiday pay is rolled up in your wage so if you want a week off, better get saving. Pretty sure its illegal now. Currently in talks with ACAS about it
Pros
Causual Dress, easy no pressure, incoming calls
Cons
Not a family friendly rota, busy environment, holiday pay is included with hourly rate
Great experience and lovely company
I loved the team and the company.
Relaxed environment but very efficient, you can have opportunities to grow in job positions.

Really nice overall
Great company to work for if you are passionate, hard working and quick to learn
A fast paced close knit organisation where everyone has a part to play, no one flys below the radar and results are expected through thorough organisation
Pros
Organised. Clear direction. The people
Cons
All consuming. Lower pay than others. Difficult to join at senior level
Very hostile environment - poor training
Working hours not given till the week before so unable to plan any family /social activity.
They don’t really care about the employee just as long as they have bums on seats .
Minimum Wage
Confused at reviews about being happy with pay, you'll be on min wage, unpaid breaks. It's a chicken coup style call centre, you'll be sat at the smallest desk you've ever seen all crammed down one end of the office while there are 3 banks of empty desks - staff comfort is not priority. The Managers storm around shouting completely inconsiderate to staff on the phones. There is free parking and the staff are friendly plffrparkinand
Great company to work for
Customers are very polite and a pleasure to serve, they are very friendly and never had any angry customers, unlike in previous companies.

No two days are the same, there is always something to challenge and keep you on your toes. The teams tend to be small, so great to bond with each other and build the store up together.

There is good support from area management and head office. Very quick to respond when you need support to do the day to day job. there is also a lot of creative licenses to manage prices of older stock, as well as merchandise store to what works best for your store with regards to layouts.

I would highly recommend joining the team as a store manager. It is a very successful business and is constantly evolving.
Relaxed environment
A team of wonderful people, in an extremely relaxed environment, perfect for a first job. It's such a shame to leave. A slow pace of work, and a lovely group of regular customers.
Relaxed work culture
Worked for more than 2 years. Slow and relaxed work place. No career progression from within. Good as part time work. Good staff discount. Management listens to your concerns.
was a good place to work
cotton traders is a really god place to work, I really enjoyed my time there, I hope one day they will have a management job that I will be able to apply for .
Good place to learn the ropes of retail.
As the store had many quiet periods. It was a good time to learn experience in shop merchandising and how to display products in an appealing way.

Working with the manager to the point where I was trusted to open and close the store was a great achievement and helped me progress further to Tesco where I was a key holder for many years.
Pros
Great learning enviroment
Cons
Not enough hours for customer assistants/room for promotion due to size of company.
Excellent company fun work atmosphere
An excellent company to work for, in house training provided for all staff. Career progression available within the company. Lavish Christmas party arranged for staff. Flexibility regarding shifts to enable a good work/homelife balance.
Pros
Theme days, chances to win gift vouchers
Cons
Productive and Fun Workplace.
I really enjoy working at Cotton Traders. On a typical day I serve customers. Keep the Shop tidy. I find the hardest part of the job is cashing up. I really enjoy communicating with the customers.
Pros
Good Working Relationships
Cons
Not enough hours
Decent place to work, the team makes it.
Worked here for 3 years but felt like I wanted to do something else so I handed in my resignation and started a new job. Unfortunately, my new job didn't work out and I left after 1 year due to health issues. I rejoined C.T after my manager rung me and kindly offered me a new contract after hearing I was looking for work.
I also work another job close by and he is very good and happily works around their rota.

Work with a fab team who have become friends for life. Happy to shift swap with each other or cover when needed. Supportive and friendly.

Couldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons would be grumpy and rude customers that have a sense of entitlement and no manners.

Lone working (usually an hour or two in the morning or before closing)

Can often be quiet so can get boring, especially when lone working and no jobs to do like replen.

Clothing is quite frumpy so choosing uniform is hard at times.

Unorganised and poorly trained/managed V.Ms and call centre staff. The big wigs at head office micro managing and nit picking rather than dealing with the big issues.

Pros would be, good work life balance

Brill team, store manager and area manager.

Good training

Good discounts for uniform and f+f

Opportunity to work in other store's and over time

Decent and uncomplicated EPOS and pdq system.
Pros
Brill team, supportive management
Cons
Lone working and unfashionable clothes
No honesty
Worked here for a month and a half. Started off fine. Really nice team. One member of who was very patient with me and went out of his way to help. It was a shame we didn't get more shifts together. However, one day I get my first unruly customer (Complained that the price tags were too small to read) You see I have Autism and it really knocked my confidence. Told the team leader who very understanding at the time. After twice saying I was leaving, I ask if I could come back (I had not handed in my notice) I was expecting the manager which was understandable to say no. The answer I got to why I could not come back was a complete lie. The two team leaders had accused me of going into the stockroom when it was busy so as to avoid the customers despite the fact the previous feedback I had said I was progressing well. NO HONESTY!
Pros
Good discount on uniform
Cons
General lack of honesty
Bad company to work for
I worked at a cotton Traders near Lincoln in Lincolnshire I was there for two months and it was the worst Experiance I have ever had.
The job interview went well, the manager even seemed nice, but on my first day the manager was constantly talking bad about ex members of staff, and constantly belittling everything I did, whatever I did was never good enough.

The managers friend who worked in the shop would constantly make things up about me, getting me into trouble.

On one occasion the assistant forgot to cash up and put everything through the computer , I was blamed for her mistake.

In the end I was asked to leave , they all picked at me and made me feel small, it’s put me off working in retail since.
Busy environment, stable hours
Busy place to work, nice people to work with and good work/life balance. it has a good pay and a nice office space. can be challenging at times but is rewarding.
Awful.
The job itself was OK.

The training I received was decent, the job was enjoyable & there was always something to do.

However, the management were awful; not listening to anybody else's input, altering shifts without asking first & much more besides which led to an awful work environment for anyone working with them.

Furthermore, when I reported this behaviour, Head Office didn't do anything.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend working at Cotton Traders to anybody.
Pros
Good discount on uniform.
Cons
Management were awful. ( And that's being kind )