Costain Employee Reviews

good large company
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire12 November 2018
very good to work for with lots of room to progress around the company. no day is a normal day. each day has lots of things included and the variation of work . directors are included in the normal day to day operation of the business. different project within exciting sectors (highways, water and nuclear). location close to home area and great benefits.
Pros
people you work wirk
Cons
travel can be a pain
Good people. Great experience
Section Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mile End, Greater London8 August 2018
Good people. Great experience For the last year with Costain I have learned how to manage paperwork involved with running
construction site from briefings, shift handover, score inspections up to writings reports
Relaxing work place
Construction Management Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead22 July 2018
Work was largely office based, meaning it's not completely suited for those who only wish to pursue largely practical tasks for employment. Office spaces were comfortable and very relaxed.
exciting workplace with new challeges
Assistant Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London26 April 2018
while working for costain, I learnt and developed many new skills.
a typical day at work was mostly enjoyable although I did experience favouritism from senior staff toward others.
Big Company
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire9 April 2018
Continued my apprenticeship here. Costain are a large company with a lot of people around you to help you along the way. Pay structure for an apprentice is also good.
Electricians Mate (Former Employee) –  London20 March 2018
I enjoyed my time there. It was fun and interesting learning about The London Power Tunnel. As it was only voluntary work, and because i was bit too young. I didn't get to do much more than assist the engineers, but it was great experience.
Have a good attitude towards workplace
Construction foreman (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater9 February 2018
I'm good company to work for it care about the workforce and their safety as well as getting the job done on time and within budget very good at promoting training and learning on-site and in the classroom
Great Learning Experience
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London25 January 2018
Working at Costain as a Document Controller was a great learning experience for me because it helped with my independence at work and it was also one of my first jobs having an active part of working as a part of a team, where my colleagues depended on me to so that things would flow smoothly on the project.

A typical day at work for me would consist of updating spreadsheets on Microsoft Excel to make sure all the stats and figures are up to date, printing off drawings for the company, filing away drawings, taking part in meetings and so on.
Pros
Close to Station
productive and fun place
supervisor (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London15 January 2018
very long hours, shifts, salary is not worth the spend time and effort, but it was a good experience to work in such a high profile project (London bridge station)
to much abuse and unnecessary pressure towards operatives
Cons
long hours, bad site managment, unsafe wark plase
Poorly Run company with very little benefits unless you're senior staff.
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge10 January 2018
A typical day at work consists of coming in at 7 and leaving at 7, i am required to work away from home with no dig money paying for my accommodation out of my own pocket due to it being my first contract. I don't receive any travel money or have a company car. When i finally received my company phone it was the cheapest phone they could of possibly bought. Overall, not a good company to work for.
Pros
training is good.
Cons
long hours, poorly run, no benefits.
Ok
Apprentice Groundworker (Current Employee) –  South wales1 January 2018
Gives you a lot of experience, coworkers are often friendly, could improve on listening to employees and giving them second chances to belive in them self , could improve the salary, overall its OK company.
Pros
Gains experience and more skills
Cons
Often left lonely and not listened to, and not feeling good enough even though your trying your best.
Brilliant place to work
Traffic Management Foreman (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester21 November 2017
Loved every minute of it, just wish it was more local to home. Staff was a pleasure to work with and always felt welcome. thank you for the time I had there last year.
Productive can do attitude
Survey Tech (Current Employee) –  A14 Cambridgeshire19 October 2017
Worth working for, good people, ability to learn and progress. Ability to succeed and endeavour to improve. Having been with them for a while now improvements in knowledge and experience are good.
fantastic workplace
Ground Worker (Former Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire6 September 2017
I really enjoyed my time with this employer and learnt so much through great management and the time the company put into me. I am forever grateful to costain.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
working away
Bad management
anonymous (Current Employee) –  London3 July 2017
Not a great place to work, management only interested in their own advancement. Some teams are great and work well together, it depends on which department you are in. Do pay quite well in London.
Standard of Work
Planning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Barnwood28 June 2017
Costain has a high standard of work expectation from employees.
There is a pool of learning opportunities.
Good employee support from HR.
Left to work alone so one can develop quickly and be more prepared.
Positive
Assistant Quantity Surveyor/ Logistics Procurement (Current Employee) –  Chadwell Heath, Greater London15 June 2017
Working for Costain Cross-rail has been a positive experience as a whole. I have been able to gain valuable experience and acquire significant knowledge of cost management within large infrastructure projects.
Pros
Weekend bones
Cons
Long working hours
Great team of people working towards a goal, very friendly and hardworking department
PA Office Manager and Document Controller (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London1 May 2017
I loved working for Costain, however, I started as a temp at Design Stage for a major redevelopment of Gatwick Airport Station.

Great team, team players, good bond of people really enjoyed it.
Pros
team building events, Friday breakfasts, being appreciated, working in a team
Cons
The fact that I could not stay any longer as the project progressed.
Constant over supervision and an uncomfortable environment to work.
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Immingham, Lincolnshire20 April 2017
Over supervision, no team spirit, selfish attitude of a number of senior staff. Get the job done attitude without consideration of other factors. Not being able to discuss problems and if you disagree senior staff write about you in the None Conformity Book to which you're not allowed to see or answer to. Restricted PPE and having to wash Oily soaked gloves and make them last a week. Half an hour break at lunch and that's it! Moral is low in all employees on the site. It was enjoyable till Management changed
Pros
Cons
9 day fortnight
Professional company
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 February 2017
Excellent company to work for. Extremely Health and Safety conscious with a focus on employee well being. Great attitude to training and development of people, even those who are on contract.
Pros
Training and development
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costain. Our community is ready to answer.