Costain

Costain Employee Reviews

United Kingdom121 reviews
I loved working for Costain
Costain are a fantastic company to work for, I spent 4 wonderful years with them. Always ready to train, educate and support you. Stay away from the highways sector, the superintendent is a very horrible man and very controlling
Pros
Excellent training program
Cons
Too many People trying to make a name for themselves
Excellent
All I can say is costain are an excellent company to work for. The people that work there are second to none in their specialist fields and they will invest in you if you are willing to learn.
Exelent
Great experience, very good time spent there, finance and work experence acieved , high rated company . They are very selective with operatives, targeting just quality on all jobs. Pleasure to work for them.
great place for apprentices
I started here as a receptionist/business administration apprentice in 2017 and I have progressed a lot in the 3 years that I have been working for the company.
Working for Costain
Costain is a good company to work for. The pay is good and there are some fantastic professional people working there. There is plenty of room for development but there are instances of bullying which is dealt with slowly but the bully always remains in their jobs. there are a few social climbers but overall its ok.
A great company
I always enjoyed the work and good friends . Made while I was employed by Costain. We had work all over the uk . I would like to work for them again. And would recommend working for them.
Fast paced & unstable
Every day was different and whilst I worked with a good team it could be stressful some days. My manager was amazing, very helpful, great training provided to learn how the site worked quickly and I even won an employee award being condemned as an asset to the project.
Work hard and do other people’s jobs as well as your own and never ever complain or your marked a trouble maker.
Good company good ethics on paper however does not take real notice of workers situations most of the time.
Good with healthcare schemes but time off given to meet appointments not equal,
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Do not always get paid correctly or on time
Excellent
Enjoyed working for costain very well managed relaxed very safe very helpful overall the best companies I've worked for very good briefings in the morning everybody knows what they are doing very well supervised
Generally a great place
Great culture but limited by hierarchy. Good work life balance. Slightly conflicting culture with seeking innovation however limited access to permission. Ironic.
Terrible place to work!
Not only do they treat staff appallingly, they force people to leave, people that have been there for years. The company have been through their 3rd/4th round of redundancies over the past couple of years, so I can’t see them surviving much longer. I believe the CEO left in spring 2019 too, which doesn’t say much, does it? If your face doesn’t fit, they’re simply not interested.
Collaborative and always offered training
The Work Winning department was undergoing a lot of change, so my experience was not typical. I was most impressed with the level of training in all aspects of the job so I understood my remit and the responsibility of the team. The culture was also changing at the time (2015). Management was fair and available to me for both job and progression issues, however the difficult commute and changes within upper management made me reconsider my position.
Good stepping stone
This was a good stepping stone in my career to start on Tier 1 contractor. I would definitely recommend working for Costain.

Managers are friendly and push you to achieve your personal as well as companies targets.
Good place to wrok
Enjoyed my time there, learnt lots of new things. everyone was welcoming and always helpful when there was any problems/concerns. Timings were flexible and overall enjoyed it
Happy to work there
I was really satisfied to work in this company . They have highest health and safety ratings. They have good rates. Good team. Good managers. The salary is on time.
Fun workplace
Fun place to work but not much career development if you are not in engineering. Need to cater more for employees outside of engineering and provide more training
Great introduction to the world of contracting
Operational management day to day duties were never the same but could include development or improvement of operational systems, people, plant.
Operations can be unpredictable and is reliant on strong responsive skills and experience to make constant well-judged decisions.

Man-management skills essential to achieve best output from staff.
Large, established, traditional - family feel
At Costain, people generally stay for a long time. This can be a good thing (more corporate memory, stability), but also a bad thing (resistance to change, disadvantage to those from a non-construction background or newcomers). Generally the atmosphere is good but not particularly lively.
Great modern office
Decent place to work in a lovely modern office with air-conditioning. Easily accessible from the motorway and great for supplies visiting, especially the airport.
Very Lovely Company
Covered for Receptionist on a temp bases great company great people did Admin work and front of House. Booking of Hot desk for staff and meet and great clients & postal duties
Good people but badly managed
Good company to work for but too top heavy with people who aren't able to effectively lead the framework into the challenges of AMP7. A change at the top would be a welcome breath.