Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Found 1,479 reviews matching the search See all 1,769 reviews
Typical workplace politics
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Middlehaven24 December 2018
Worked for Costa as a Supervisor at a time when they were struggling for staff. Essentially, I did everybody's work and held the place together but they had the cheek to say that I had been offensive towards one of my coworkers. All I did was tell said coworker to pull their weight in exactly those terms, no offensive language was used. The young girl cried and went to management who decided to let me go at the end if my probation period. I've since left and got a real career with benefits. But this isn't sour grapes. It's about shedding light on what really goes on at these companies. Not every one of their sites are the same and if I were one of the moguls up top I would consider sending moles into these places. Some of those down in the trenches are treated like they're worthless. Some very good people become disenfranchised and leave and in my case get given their marching orders. You would think you would know your business better. The branch in question is the Middlehaven site in Middlesbrough.
Cons
Workplace politics, poor management
Very fun work environment.
Barista Maestro (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes, Fife9 December 2018
From working in Costa, I have made many life long friends in staff and also customers. Every shift brings a new challenge but is always fun to work on. Having the opportunity to help be part of management in this company and get to explore the future plans that Costa have is a very exciting. I am also very proud to work for a company that care so much on customer and staff feedback to help meet the needs of the actual everyday workers and not just the staff higher up the ladder.
Pros
Working with your best friends, getting to see all the regulars, discounts on and off shift, being part of a highly praised team.
Cons
Long and demanding hours, only 30 min breaks if working between 6-11 hours, bonus scheme could be structured better.
Tiring and Overworked
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Suffolk23 December 2018
Used to be a great place to work but in recent years the company attitude has changed dramatically. All they are concerned about is putting money in the till and they don't care how it's achieved. Usually this requires managers working 45+ hours a week. Gives no time for a life outside of work. Expectations to always be there when you are having an audit too. You feel like you can't have a day off!! Expected to be in WhatsApps groups that are constantly going off on your personal phone is the last thing you need after a draining day. Upper management not supportive you are just a number to them.
Pros
Meet good people who are amazing!, discount and coffee
Cons
Unsocialable and long hours. Can never switch off.
Used to be ok, has become awful!
store manager (Former Employee) –  midlands18 December 2018
Used to be a good company to work for, realistic targets/budgets, good training and good people focused senior management. However over the last couple of years Costa has been blinded by greed, everything is about saving/making money, completely lost touch with it's customers and teams on the front line. unrealistic targets, very small labour budgets, little to no training, to many products making job to complicate and a senior management that can't tell Its foot from it's elbow! if your looking for a happy, rewarding career, AVOID COSTA AT ALL COSTS.
Pros
25% discount card
Cons
too many to list
Poor management
Barista - Training Barista maestro (Former Employee) –  Rayleigh4 October 2018
I had worked at Costa for many years alongside my studies, as a part-time job it was good enough after working there for a period of time you realise that the management are swapped about without much thought for the store or the team member, in my few years i had over 8 managers !! this caused massive disruption each time and entailed in the stores performances going downhill.

i was a key holder and very often had extended shift which were made hard by short staff.

overall this was a good first-time job, but whilst I was working there it was not a fair workplace, I very often got my shift extended with only my half n hour lunch which was not nearly enough time to go get food and have a break.
Cons
long hours, often short staffed.
fun place
Barista Maestro (Former Employee) –  London4 October 2018
a typical day of work started at 6:30 morning and in weekend 6:00 which is insane,in the morning you have to display sweets,check coffee,count float,do order for next day,clean obviously,and serve customers. i;ve learned how to prepare good coffee,how to work under pressure. Management was terrible ,manager was very rude,selfish and she treat us like black sheeps,even she came to the store to check us,when we need help she said dont call me im out of london. Even if there was hard working people she didnt let us to grow in the company.And we had to do even her job while she was on break for a hour even if her break was 20 min like ours.A good manager should be a good example but not worst one.
The most enjoyable part was to work with nice people like a team.
Cons
long hours, less money
Excellent for social / developing skill set
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Uk10 October 2018
The only reason I have scored low is thedevelopment aspect - it is low even though you are told you can get higher - once you are a store manager that’s it there’s no room for progression . Even to area manager .

The top dogs take the salaries tell you all you will get a large bonus however this is infact untrue unadjusted budgets when building a store over the road losing you a bonus and the person managing the other store has an unrealistic budget and gets thousands whilst you have worked your self into the ground . Carrot dangling at its best however I can’t complaint about the job it’s self social aspect -it’s great as long as you can recruit the right team . Expect to manage students that leave regular. I actually love Costa as a business I just don’t agree with the ethics of the way they manage the management who make them the money . Low salary also considering you manage p&l
Pros
Great social aspect
Cons
No development, progression, on call 24/7, high team turnover
Decent place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa10 September 2018
Costa is a pretty good company to work for especially for those under 21 who tend to get paid under living wage as Costa's general policy is all employees start on around 7.20ph.

Management can be a bit hit and miss which can effect your experience. personally out of the 4 managers I have worked under its been 50/50. Generally though that wont effect you that much unless you run out of sock due to ordering issues or something similar...

Teams are normally friendly if a bit crazy and the atmosphere is a bit crazy but makes the day go by. I font think I would have a career here but if your looking for a student job or a full time job for a while its worth it.

Coca Cola are looking at buying them out so I dont know if this will affect future working standards....
Pros
free lunches
Cons
everything smells like coffee...EVERYTHING!
Great company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset3 February 2019
Amazing company to work for. Great progression opportunities, amazing benefits, solid senior management. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a company to progress in.
Pros
Discount benefits, trust in senior management, free training opportunities
overall OK
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 July 2018
The benefits of working for the company are great as is the salary. The downside is long shifts and unsociable hours, for parents the lack of flexibility puts a strain on the home environment. The company requires additional time due to sickness and understaffing and although paid is expected of you.
Management are great and do everything they can to help, however they only cater for students and not parents or people needing a work life balance
Colleagues are nice but not management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pocklington, East Riding of Yorkshire24 July 2018
Typical day at work is meeting the same regular customers having a good chat, meeting new customers. From this job I have take away some coffee making skills. Overall management is poor as this is a Franchise with Head Office down in London and very high staff turn over due to Store Managers has no management skills at all. No workplace culture as staff are from different backgrounds. Hardest part of the job is there are no directives from Store Managers hence at times staff just pick and choose what they like to do and team work does not exist at all. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting customers.
Pros
50% discount on meals when working
Cons
Store Manager with zero management skills
Dissapointing
store manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 January 2019
I stayed in the company over a year. I worked for a goldex branch which got bought out by AM limited. in that time I was lied to by management about my future progression in the company. I was overworked, given WAY more responsibility than I should have had and I was treated very poorly because of it. The company will penalise you for any reason possible. if a store is opened 5 minutes late, £50 comes out of your pay. If you don't send a picture of a refund to management, you will have the money deducted from your pay.

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone
Pros
ONE free small drink a day
Cons
Everything else
I love their coffee
Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  London22 January 2019
Easy to get hired, a very long contract they didn't use to harass staff with, very good management and career opportunities, friendly environment, fun at work.
Pros
Coffee, work experience, flexibility
Cons
little security for staff
Manager..
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire8 November 2018
As a job, it is amazing. The colleges are friendly and helpful if you're just trying to find the ropes. The manager not so much, unless he has changed he was not so good. Always expecting too much, rude, arrogant and more.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the 'behind the scenes' of the Costa coffee. It was good to learn how it's all done, how it's different to other coffee shops etc.

A typical day at work would consist of opening up in the morning, stacking the display shelves, collecting any items from the store room if you had ran out from the day before and cleaning the floors and tables before you opened up for customers to enter.
The day would go fast, as the job was very fast paced and busy so you definitely appreciate your hour break when it came round, but it was definitely not a bad thing that the days were always busy because you've always got something to do.
Pros
Unlimited drinks while on shift
Cons
Management.
Not bad
Barista (Former Employee) –  Farnborough17 February 2019
busy and long hours but good pay and good team had fun whilst I was there but it's not a particularly sustainable lifestyle for me needed more career progression.
Cons
Long Hours
Important experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Harold Wood, Greater London26 November 2018
I was introduced to everyone that I would be working with and it was a warm welcome. Each individual had a chance to teach me different things. importance of keeping the shop floor in working order, using the the appropriate machines, keeping food stock in check and learning how to make the different coffee's. During my time here I learned what work was really like, dealing with first impressions and being able to manage the task's given to me. I did't interact with management so much however they clearly made an effort in making me feel comfortable and reassure me to not be afraid of making mistakes as its work experience. As a whole the workplace was good everyone functioned as a team and was great whenever I asked any questions always helping. It was hard making the drinks because if you mess up you may delay people in the queue. I enjoyed being able to finally get a rough idea of what the working environment of a coffee shop would be like and it was definitely fun.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
workload during rush hour
stressful environment, friendly staff
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire11 November 2018
The environment is stressful, customers complain often no matter how hard you work, h/o staff also complain often and no gratitude given.

I find it hard to enjoy working in this environment
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
rude customers, no praise
Awful Management
Fully trained Barista staff member (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire5 November 2018
from my experience with Costa the management style was awful, keeping people on as 'trainee's' so they did not have to pay them full time wage or give them any of the benefits or working permanently. staff felt insecure with their jobs.
Costa Coffee
Barista-Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Luton Mall1 January 2019
Fun, exciting, everyday and order is different, a real test of skills, great staff, management and team culture, good hours of work and a real fun atmosphere.
Pros
FREE Coffee
Cons
N/a
Would not recommend
BARISTA MAESTRO (Former Employee) –  Waterloo Station24 July 2018
This particular costa coffee is not a great place to work. Management is appalling, staff are unfriendly and there is little care taken into customer service.
Pros
Career advancement within team, 25% off costa, 50% off premiere inn
Cons
Unpleasant, long hours, constantly on feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costa Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.