Cosmo

Cosmo Employee Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews
Don't work here if you want a life.
Worked absolutely to the bone on minimum wage, getting only 1 day off a week. Management are untrained and unprofessional, often mean and selfish. Positives inc - free food, gives you stomach ache though and good friends as you'll spend so much time together.
Terrible to work for
Illegal working hours, paid under minimum wage. Free food on shift. Flooded kitchen. Not up to health and safety standards. Avoid working for them at all costs.
Good for first job.Fair money and good staff and management.
Very good for first job.The management was very good and always there for you.Nice and friendly staff and environment.The salary was the minimum one but you can eat at the end of every shift.
Worst place to work
I would never recommend this place to work. They are hiring people under table, all from Asia and they can't speak English, is so hard to talk to them. And after that they are mad because you don't understand what they really want you to do. The payrate is a joke, they are hustleling you, and there is no service charge or tips as they say at first.
Also, for one t shirt or a coat and a hat they are taking you 100£ deposit, you are getting paid monthly half cash half card. Also you work at least 48 hours a week and your contract is made for at most 30 35. The level of hygiene is low, they never really change the oil in fryers, and they would do anything to save money.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, pay rate is a joke
Don't work here
Worst job I've ever had. Management are absolutely awful and extremely patronising.
Instead of firing staff, you are given demeaning jobs to make you quit.

Workload is extremely high with managers sending unnecessarily sending people home, leading to a high number of run aways. Tables that leave without paying are taken from the tips.
Do not apply here
This workplace management is so poor. The management themselves are so rude. They treat you like as if they own you, telling you what to do and if you say no, they will shout at you and take their anger at you. They say us to be professional but they themselves are not professional whatsoever. Even in your days off they will ring u and ask u to work like as if you don’t have life outside work. Especially on weekend if you ask for off, they will ask you the reason ‘why and where’ and if they don’t have enough staff, they will put u on work without saying anything and when you ask them why u got work on weekend, their answer is we don’t have enough staff and you have to work. You apply for a part time job but basically it’s a full time because you have to work so hard on busy days and u still not get double paid. Christmas time and bank holidays you still get minimum wage with no double pay. And you can’t take holidays on Christmas time, apparently it’s a busiest time. It’s hard to take holidays off too, the management has to approve it; if they say no, you have to find another month to book your holiday. It’s hard to get holidays off. Some staffs are really treated different than other staff, you have to be best friend with a management or else you are out of the loop. People who go college and school DO NOT WORK here, they will force you to work everyday and even your exam times saying you’ve got work commitments as if your exams are not important. They will always put less staff on work and make you work under pressure on busiest times.
Avoid this place, because here
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Unprofessional management
Bad, bad, bad.
A rate of 4,20 per hour.
Very busy place and not paid enough for all the work.

Employees are very stressful.

Management very bad and unprofessional.

They don’t pay always their employees.
Avoid
Poor management - the general manager treats people like children, they will use you as much as they can and get offended when you ask for time off. I wouldn’t have lasted this long if not for the people I worked with and flexible shifts.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cosmo?
Cleaner
I enjoyed working for Cosmo and hope I will be able to work for them again in the future.
Terrible
When I worked here the management was so bad that it made me leave. I was on £5 an hour, and long shifts where the managers didn't train or respect you at all. They pay would often be wrong with members of staff and someone was always complaining.
Pros
Good team members
Cons
poor management
Relaxed and productive workplace
The management provided a relaxed atmosphere at work, with fun loving and focus colleagues to work with.I learnt the zeal and determination to succeed in handling any project to the very end
Please read this very long review, some very hard truths
Most days you end up working unpaid overtime, therefore you don't receive the minimum wage for the total hours you have worked.

Most staff are usually sent home early and have their hours cut, working less than their contracted hours. Staff are even sent home when the restaurant is busy leaving the rest of the staff under a lot of pressure which creates a stressful atmosphere and rubs off onto the customers (you can guess who the manager blames for that). On some ocassions I was told I was to finish at 9pm (an hour early) but wasn't told until 10 minutes past.

Any staff who show any visual signs of disagreement or resent when told to leave early or work overtime are given a warning and on two occasions staff have been sacked for this.

We were not allowed to keep the tips we had earned we had to hand them in. Apparently we were supposed to receive a share of tips at the end of each month on our pay slips - we didn't. And don't try to hide your tips, the snake in the grass who snitches on you will start receiving preferential treatment, it's a great way to earn employee of the month.

Staff meetings are during your free time and for some employees their day off, compulsory to attend but not paid and a waste of everyone's time. Any flaws you point out or suggestions you put forward are ignored and although some staff are well into their 30's, they do not handle critism maturely at all. There was shouting and arguing and everyone leaves feeling frustrated, mostly because of one particular person. This person even screamed "Don't speak to me, I'm not talking to you" not
 - more...
Pros
free meals, most staff are really friendly
Cons
unpaid overtime, 1 member of staff is very hostile and makes work very uncomfortable
Lovely colleagues, bad managment
Very lovely staff that made the job bearable, could get on with everyone. Not the same could be said for the managment team, accept for one or two. Treated quite badly, do a lot of work for saying it is minimum wage. Long hours, and the close of lunch before dinner meant long breaks so a lot of waiting between shifts unless you live near enough to go home. But generally not the worst place to work. It is minimum wage but we would get a share of the tips each month which was good.
Pros
Free food on shift, tips
Cons
Bad managment, long hours
They work you til you die or leave
The coworkers there are amazing, but management doubles your contracted hours without negotiation which is terrible when trying to juggle uni, social life and work. Everything comes second to clocking in and running around for hours while you only qualify for an unpaid break after 9 hours of work. Unethical, awful management and terrible pay.
Pros
free food after a shift
Cons
everything else
Horrible Management
When I first started working there, my colleagues were lovely and so were management but as the months went on, I started to experience some verbal abuse from the on floor management whenever the restaurant got busy which was horrible.
Pros
Free food and lovely colleagues.
Cons
Terrible on floor management.
worst job ever
Busy day on feet running and collecting dishes, dealing with rude customers and unfriendly staff. required to wor a long time usualy have to stay after hours without pay. if you work there you are guarenteed not to have social life.
Pros
free food after shift
Cons
staff, rude people, low pay, unsociable hours
Excellent staff and excellent service.
Every shift starts with a briefing to update staff on events and encourage good customer service, this has led to several Cosmo group customer service awards. Shifts were often busy, but staff always grouped together making them a lot of fun while maintaining high cleanliness and customer satisfaction. My fellow staff members were always very friendly leading to lasting friendships. The management were also very understanding about staff needs.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner when you've worked a shift, Brilliant and understanding management.
Cons
Working the full days over the weekend can be very tiring.
Worst employment i've ever had
Let me start off by saying that the only good thing about working here is the free meals.

That's about where the positives end.

Mandy is literally the worst manager I've ever had the misfortune to work under. What an ungrateful, incompetent woman who needs to learn how to speak to people.

I would dissuade anyone from working here.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, poor managment
Worst management I’ve worked with
I don’t know whether it was because it’s a new opening or what but the Cosmo I worked at was atrocious. Honestly where do I start? It opened in mid December 2017 and we were offered fantastic training really thorough I must admit and because it was new I got to know the people I’d be working with really well so I gained some good friendships, with some really nice people.

That’s about where the positives end, our ‘restaurant manager’ assured us he had tons of managing and hospitality experience and would be on hand to help when needed. When it comes to actual service allhe does is stand at the door and over fill the restaurant, he doesn’t know how to handle a heavy costumer flow, it actually shocked me how awful he was I’ve never met anyone so unprofessional in my life. It’s a busy restaurant so of course you’re expected to work at a certain pace, but they just don’t have enough staff for the amount of people they’ve hired. Also a lot of favouritism within Cosmo, if you’re not ’friends’ with management you’re very much left outside the loop.

Senior management was even worse, it’s like whoever hired the management team handed a restaurant to a bunch of children with no experience whatsoever, everyone running around like headless chickens, asking us to refill out new starter forms over and over, no organisation or communication between departments. The work you do is not worth the money you earn you could easily go down the road and earn more money and be appreciated for what you do.
Pros
Free lunch from the buffet, nice people to work with
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, atrocious management
busy and hectic
need to put in the hard work.the team divided to provide excellent customer service.team member all of the similar age easy to communicate ideas and learn from each other.
horrible,horrible,horrible
I got laid off after 2 days because I wasn't quick enough even though I disclosed I had a disability and they gave me no extra help so they discriminated against me because I have learning disability. The only good thing is there paying me for the 2 shifts I've done. they put me on bar first night even though I had no bar experience and I applied for the waiting job not to work on bar. Another good thing is your colleagues are willing to help But overall I had a horrible experience they even told me that even though I have a disability they wouldn't give me extra help. DONT WORK HERE.
Pros
good, freindly collegues
Cons
discriminate against people with learning disabilities