Cosmo Employee Reviews

Lovely colleagues, bad managment
Restaurant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby5 September 2018
Very lovely staff that made the job bearable, could get on with everyone. Not the same could be said for the managment team, accept for one or two. Treated quite badly, do a lot of work for saying it is minimum wage. Long hours, and the close of lunch before dinner meant long breaks so a lot of waiting between shifts unless you live near enough to go home. But generally not the worst place to work. It is minimum wage but we would get a share of the tips each month which was good.
Pros
Free food on shift, tips
Cons
Bad managment, long hours
They work you til you die or leave
Waitress/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 August 2018
The coworkers there are amazing, but management doubles your contracted hours without negotiation which is terrible when trying to juggle uni, social life and work. Everything comes second to clocking in and running around for hours while you only qualify for an unpaid break after 9 hours of work. Unethical, awful management and terrible pay.
Pros
free food after a shift
Cons
everything else
Relaxed and productive workplace
PROJECT MANAGEMENT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 October 2018
The management provided a relaxed atmosphere at work, with fun loving and focus colleagues to work with.I learnt the zeal and determination to succeed in handling any project to the very end
Horrible Management
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire10 July 2018
When I first started working there, my colleagues were lovely and so were management but as the months went on, I started to experience some verbal abuse from the on floor management whenever the restaurant got busy which was horrible.
Pros
Free food and lovely colleagues.
Cons
Terrible on floor management.
Excellent staff and excellent service.
Restaurant assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol22 March 2018
Every shift starts with a briefing to update staff on events and encourage good customer service, this has led to several Cosmo group customer service awards. Shifts were often busy, but staff always grouped together making them a lot of fun while maintaining high cleanliness and customer satisfaction. My fellow staff members were always very friendly leading to lasting friendships. The management were also very understanding about staff needs.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner when you've worked a shift, Brilliant and understanding management.
Cons
Working the full days over the weekend can be very tiring.
Worst employment i've ever had
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 March 2018
Let me start off by saying that the only good thing about working here is the free meals.

That's about where the positives end.

Mandy is literally the worst manager I've ever had the misfortune to work under. What an ungrateful, incompetent woman who needs to learn how to speak to people.

I would dissuade anyone from working here.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, poor managment
worst job ever
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bristol5 April 2018
Busy day on feet running and collecting dishes, dealing with rude customers and unfriendly staff. required to wor a long time usualy have to stay after hours without pay. if you work there you are guarenteed not to have social life.
Pros
free food after shift
Cons
staff, rude people, low pay, unsociable hours
Worst management I’ve worked with
Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 January 2018
I don’t know whether it was because it’s a new opening or what but the Cosmo I worked at was atrocious. Honestly where do I start? It opened in mid December 2017 and we were offered fantastic training really thorough I must admit and because it was new I got to know the people I’d be working with really well so I gained some good friendships, with some really nice people.

That’s about where the positives end, our ‘restaurant manager’ assured us he had tons of managing and hospitality experience and would be on hand to help when needed. When it comes to actual service allhe does is stand at the door and over fill the restaurant, he doesn’t know how to handle a heavy costumer flow, it actually shocked me how awful he was I’ve never met anyone so unprofessional in my life. It’s a busy restaurant so of course you’re expected to work at a certain pace, but they just don’t have enough staff for the amount of people they’ve hired. Also a lot of favouritism within Cosmo, if you’re not ’friends’ with management you’re very much left outside the loop.

Senior management was even worse, it’s like whoever hired the management team handed a restaurant to a bunch of children with no experience whatsoever, everyone running around like headless chickens, asking us to refill out new starter forms over and over, no organisation or communication between departments. The work you do is not worth the money you earn you could easily go down the road and earn more money and be appreciated for what you do.
Pros
Free lunch from the buffet, nice people to work with
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, atrocious management
horrible,horrible,horrible
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 November 2017
I got laid off after 2 days because I wasn't quick enough even though I disclosed I had a disability and they gave me no extra help so they discriminated against me because I have learning disability. The only good thing is there paying me for the 2 shifts I've done. they put me on bar first night even though I had no bar experience and I applied for the waiting job not to work on bar. Another good thing is your colleagues are willing to help But overall I had a horrible experience they even told me that even though I have a disability they wouldn't give me extra help. DONT WORK HERE.
Pros
good, freindly collegues
Cons
discriminate against people with learning disabilities
hard work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex22 March 2017
Very good if wanted hard work and to work 7 days a week.
the owners/management wasnt that great.

I used to work between 12 hours - 14 hours a day with only a 20 minute break.
wasnt even aloud to sit down as it was a resturant and take away
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours no breaks

Want to know more about Cosmo?

Ask a question
Long Hours Little Pay, Little Care from managers.
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Croydon25 February 2013
A typical day will include clocking in and getting told what to do by your supervisor, after that it will be follow all orders and do not ask questions. management has been very poor as there is almost always not enough staff to cope with the work that must be done. the hardest part of the job is the constant time pressure you are under to do things in and the most enjoyable part is the laughs you can have with customers.
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Cons
long hours almost every day, late nights, must work weekends, minimum wage
busy and hectic
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Croydon24 January 2018
need to put in the hard work.the team divided to provide excellent customer service.team member all of the similar age easy to communicate ideas and learn from each other.
fun work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire9 June 2017
the day at work is fun and enjoyable, about learned I had a very good standard and a good skills on the area giving to me from the Hiltons hotel in London. About management, in my view there is missing points but looks like that is the workplace culture even though they are trying the best for staff and costumes.
the jobs is easy and the enjoyable part of the job is when we work as a team.
Pros
free meals
Cons
no enough hours, i need more stability.
Do not expect too much what you will get
floor (Current Employee) –  coventry11 August 2012
A full-time work at Cosmo, i started 11:30 in the morning, lunch time will be finished on 15:00, we can have meal and break after 10~30 mins cleaning job. The dinner time will be started from 17:00, sunday- thursday is closed on 22:30, friday to Saturday is closed on 23:00. 15~30 cleaning job is extra.

In a busy restauant, team work is essential. In here, to learn playing a good role in a tean is the subject of everyday.

The management here is rigorous.

The co-workers here are very lovely, they are always happy for any help you need.

The hardest part at this job is you will not have the balance between work and life, you will stock in here 12/6, you will have no time for yourself and no energy for leisure. And, no over time paid.
Pros
free lunch, dinner, accomodation
Cons
long hour, small paid, 4 day off/ month
Long days.
Receptionist and waiter and Chef (Former Employee) –  Derby8 June 2016
A typical day at work was starting at 11:30, cooking food and filling the buffet then preparation for the evening until 2:30 when we cleaned up, 2:45 the buffet closed, 3:00 the restaurant closed until 5:00. Start again at 4:30, cook food and fill the buffet, keep the food topped up and looking presentable and prepare food for the next day.
I learned how to chop, cook and serve a variety of foods, I learned of a few foods that were new to me and some ways of cooking them.
Pros
Could eat from the buffet after closing.
Cons
Long hours.
Very busy work environment
Bar Maid (Former Employee) –  London, Croydon, Valley park3 February 2014
A typical day at work would be busy and very under pressure. I work well under pressure and at a quick pace. I learned how to spin bottle's of alcohol in my hands. The management there wasn't great. They were rude and not in control when anything went wrong. Most co-workers were polite and helpful. The hardest part of the job was when it was very busy on a weekday as the restaurant seats 800 people at a time and there was less staff on a weekday. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new customers and working with the new supervisor on bar.
Pros
Free lunch before 4 O'clock
Cons
Could only eat before a certain time, long shifts, bad management
Busy workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  York27 January 2017
Cosmo is a restaurant that is busy all the time, a typical day at work involved us quickly clearing down tables and resetting for customers. I learned how to work well under pressure whilst at Cosmo. Management here were very friendly and were very down to earth. The hardest part of my job was when I was in charge of a section of the restaurant, it was always very busy and I had to ensure every customer was happy. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with people I got along with, it made work easier.
Pros
Free food after shift
Cons
unsociable hours
fun place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, ENG19 April 2015
It's never the same two at cosmo its always busy. I have learnt to be a team leader and work as a team,the management staff are helpful they are happy to help if u had a problem.. My co-workers are very friendly and great to work with.
Pros
free lunch after work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Derby27 March 2016
Make you work nearly everyday for long hours and hardly have breaks, only get a break if your on a long shift such as 8 hours.
Cons
Too much chemistry on the kitchen
Chef (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire6 September 2017
They use too much chemistry for cooking. Too many products come ready. I want and I can cook. Do not mix powdered powder.
they do not care about cleanliness. In the back of the stink he smiles. liquid blood plasma in the cold. I did not want to work under such conditions.
Pros
free chinese food. (only it is freshly prepared)
Cons
1.5h break after 4 hours of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cosmo. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8