Cornwall Hospice Care Employee Review

View all Cornwall Hospice Care reviews

Great atmosphere with friendly and loyal productive team.
Retail Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Cornwall30 June 2019
We have a fun and productive team. The volunteers make new friends and learn new skills. There is a lovely atmosphere now. Previously management have created a bad atmosphere by making changes that don't work. Many changes that are stressful to the team. The upper management don't listen or communicate properly. They also turn down holiday requests and days off. They are not very understanding and reluctant to adapt to staff needs when they become ill.
Pros
7 weeks holiday.
Cons
Poor pay, no progression and, difficult to have a lunch break when not enough staff in.

Other Cornwall Hospice Care Employee Reviews

clueless orgonisation
retail member (Former Employee) –  Cornwall26 September 2019
Quite possibly the worst charity that you could work for not just in Cornwall but the country. The senior management retail team have no clue what so ever in how to run a retail sector or how to manage people.
The floor staff at shop and warehouse level are excellent however they are severly let down by the stupidity and cluelessness of the management team.
They treat people like dirt on the bottom of your shoe and have been getting away with it for some time now. If you even dare to give a different opinion to the one they have you are pushed and bullied out of the door never to be seen again with a completely different explanation given to your colleagues as to where you have gone.
They spend a large quantity of the charities money on managament with the floor and warehouse teams getting no bonuses or reward for the hard work and extra hours they put in. The volunteers are not even considered or mentioned for all the hard work they put in.
Only pros of working for this company is leaving and going else where it will do your mind set and work life the load of good. They have a logistics manager who doesn't know his way around the county or the main site as he doesn't come out his office long enough to see what's going on. Yet they are paying ridiculous amounts of money to these people who have no experience or know how of the business.
As I said apart from the floor staff, warehouse and shop teams and the many dedicated volunteers there is no reason to want to work for this terrible company.
Avoid at all costs is all I can say.
Pros
shop and warehouse staff and volunteers
Cons
everything else.
A Cautionary Tale
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall30 July 2019
The retail arm of Cornwall Hospice Care was, without question, the worst entity I’ve had the misfortune of working for, an experience so irredeemably bad, that I would have deep misgivings about taking a job with another charity for fear of them operating in a similar manner.

Alarm bells rang almost as soon as I started, with the picture painted by the job description and at interview diverging significantly from the reality. The risible wage on offer wasn’t a problem in isolation, but was quickly revealed as an insult when combined with the extent of the labour expected by the company's cabal of flailing superiors, each seemingly in possession of a different, elliptical 'vision', with the store undergoing frequent overhauls that seemed to leave a bad taste in the mouth of staff & customers alike.

There was also a cavalier approach to health and safety, quite unlike anything I’ve encountered before or since, which I’d like to think has since been addressed. Mercifully, my time working for Cornwall Hospice Care was short, but it remains a cautionary tale; never again will I take an employer's description of their position at face value.