Cornwall Hospice Care

Cornwall Hospice Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews
very good team of many workers but not enough of them. I enjoyed experiencing the physical and intellectual work of a the time I spent and with the experience learnt to care for individuals and respect all no matter what the circumstances may that be elderly, single parenting, disabled or even homeless every needs help and security.
Pros
good lunch hours
Cons
i don`t feel it is a good enough pay
Very kind staff there and so relaxed atmosphere they take care of their patients and the patients friends and family very well pay is good and I would recommend the business for job opportunity
Quite possibly the worst charity that you could work for not just in Cornwall but the country. The senior management retail team have no clue what so ever in how to run a retail sector or how to manage people.
The floor staff at shop and warehouse level are excellent however they are severly let down by the stupidity and cluelessness of the management team.

They treat people like dirt on the bottom of your shoe and have been getting away with it for some time now. If you even dare to give a different opinion to the one they have you are pushed and bullied out of the door never to be seen again with a completely different explanation given to your colleagues as to where you have gone.

They spend a large quantity of the charities money on managament with the floor and warehouse teams getting no bonuses or reward for the hard work and extra hours they put in. The volunteers are not even considered or mentioned for all the hard work they put in.

Only pros of working for this company is leaving and going else where it will do your mind set and work life the load of good. They have a logistics manager who doesn't know his way around the county or the main site as he doesn't come out his office long enough to see what's going on. Yet they are paying ridiculous amounts of money to these people who have no experience or know how of the business.

As I said apart from the floor staff, warehouse and shop teams and the many dedicated volunteers there is no reason to want to work for this terrible company.

Avoid at all costs is all I can say.
Pros
shop and warehouse staff and volunteers
Cons
everything else.
The retail arm of Cornwall Hospice Care was, without question, the worst entity I’ve had the misfortune of working for, an experience so irredeemably bad, that I would have deep misgivings about taking a job with another charity for fear of them operating in a similar manner.

Alarm bells rang almost as soon as I started, with the picture painted by the job description and at interview diverging significantly from the reality. The risible wage on offer wasn’t a problem in isolation, but was quickly revealed as an insult when combined with the extent of the labour expected by the company's cabal of flailing superiors, each seemingly in possession of a different, elliptical 'vision', with the store undergoing frequent overhauls that seemed to leave a bad taste in the mouth of staff & customers alike.

There was also a cavalier approach to health and safety, quite unlike anything I’ve encountered before or since, which I’d like to think has since been addressed. Mercifully, my time working for Cornwall Hospice Care was short, but it remains a cautionary tale; never again will I take an employer's description of their position at face value.
Having worked for this company for 9 years starting at the bottom and working up I have a unique insight into this charity . Overall it is a fantastic cause that does brilliant work in the community to assist those who really need it at the lowest time in their lives . Most employees will tell you they do it for this reason and this reason alone. The pay is on parallel with most charities up to manager role beyond that it rockets up to the CEO . The company is made up of various parts to raise income from legacies and wills to lottery fundraising and retail. The retail sector is in flux at the moment and it is affecting those within the retail sector. A outside company has overseen the restructuring of the retail sector from middle management down. It has caused absolute mayhem and moral has in part fallen through the floor. There is no head of retail and the ship is being run by 3 captains who are being manipulated by the said outside agency and a head of dept who has no retail experience.. this is until the vacancy is filled in the future. The restructuring hasn't worked other than a few smoke and mirror moves by said outside agency to generate additional cash by selling of stock at a sale price. A bit of tinkering here and there but not much else. Therefore the retail sector is left rudderless and with 3 captains all grabbing the wheel to try and steer a shp that is being blown about from different directions depending who us calling the shots at the time . The dedication of the staff at shop level is amazing and they work hard to keep it all going and they have to be applauded - more...
Pros
Raising money fof the two hospices
Cons
Read below
Tf you get the chance avoid working for this company.in their retail department.They are all over the place and have no real proper management at the helm. They have no senior manager to run the retail sector and a executive team who are in panic mode trying to stem the tide . The staff and volunteers are brilliant but are pushed from piller to post by an interim head of retail sourced from a external agency sent in to 're structure the retail sector.which has had a serious knock on effect to moral .
The aims of the charity are sound and the staff in the hospices deserve massive praise for what they do they are angels in disguise to the families and patients. That said if you want your blood pressure to go through the roof and to be left feeling worthless then this is the job for you ..
Pros
The work the charity does
Cons
Where to start
We have a fun and productive team. The volunteers make new friends and learn new skills. There is a lovely atmosphere now. Previously management have created a bad atmosphere by making changes that don't work. Many changes that are stressful to the team. The upper management don't listen or communicate properly. They also turn down holiday requests and days off. They are not very understanding and reluctant to adapt to staff needs when they become ill.
Pros
7 weeks holiday.
Cons
Poor pay, no progression and, difficult to have a lunch break when not enough staff in.
Very good charity and a fantastic cause let down by a retail sector whose objectives are quick fixes sound bites and paying out for outside agencies to paper over the faults. The work is hard in the larger shops and no one is given any time to concentrate on customer service or requirements. They expect a lot from all staff paid and non paid and give little back except to be critical of the work carried out. New retail structure has meant massive changes and the dust has not settled down. Those who work at the coal face are dedicated and passionate about the hospices and what they represent. This is not reflected higher up and the trustees and executive team appear to be ambivilant or totally dis interested in their basic staffs concerns. That said knowing the good that it does compensates for the bad leadership across the board.
Pros
Good Cause
Cons
Bad management
I worked there for as a Distribution Assistant at Daniels Lane.
Little or no training was provided and it felt a very unsafe environment to work in i.e plenty of health and safety issues that are ignored e.g. trip hazards obstructions etc.

When i pointed this out i was told i would be seen as a trouble maker and to keep quiet.

The staff on in the warehouse were great and made it fun the management however treat the staff like dirt.

There is heavy lifting involved with this job and no manual handling training was given.

The management accuse the staff of misdemeanors and ready to pass the blame on to the staff without listening to an explanation.

It is run like a Prison

There is no forward planning and you are up against it most of the time.

I would think twice of working for another Charity again if this is the norm
Pros
Work mates are great
Cons
plenty
The job involves a lot of heavy lifting if you are allocated at one of the furniture shops. The work place culture is great and there is a great sense of team work. Everyone is passionate about the cause.
Pros
clothes discount
Cons
Heavy lifting
Working on the till, sorting the products out, helping customers, cleaning the self's, checking the clothes, putting tags on clothes, making cups of teas.
I only worked here for a couple of hours a week but it was fun and was my first job. It was mainly sorting through donations and serving customers, as well as restocking shelves but it was always welcoming and friendly.
Wholesome company - maybe a charity but has to survive like any other business.
Opportunities to get involved at numerous fundraising events.

Good salary.
i was only their for a short time but i managed to get a good understanding of how the bank operates, this was for work experience with my school, but i can say that the staff are friendly, the atmosphere is great and i found the whole experience enjoyable.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
always busy
Great role with every day different, good way to add to your cv a good way to give back to an important charity.

Its a fun way to meet people and learn new skills
While the 6 mouths, i worked with the hospice I enjoyed, meeting the staff was great and seeing something new was good for me. I got to see lots of odd and interesting good/vintage junk while working and have fun at break time too, getting to talk to new staff and hear their jokes. Good work crew and like to keep them company when out on the roads. I like the fact I got the chance to see more on Cornwall and the hospices, learning new roads and technique from the van guys that work there.

the culture is not for me was don't know much about charity or run raise apart from helping out. Also, there was a leaking roof and one of the staff found some lava bugs in the warehouse!
Pros
Learn thing and add exp
Cons
16hours on carrer at end
I was a volunteer and at the time there were two shops so depending on how many staff were in, I would either be working in the Lifestyle shop selling clothing, or working in the smaller shop that sold items such as toys, games, DVDs and books. I would mostly be working on the till, greeting customers and also helping sort out stock when needed.
Pros
A friendly team
Cons
being my first ever roll, i was so nervous and can remeber everyone making such an effort to make me feel comfortable, nice vibe to the place, old fashioned
Pros
nice views
Cons
long distance
Cornwall Hospice Care is a brilliant place to volunteer, the other volunteers and managers are so friendly, it does not feel like I am working when the environment is so friendly.
Pros
Friendly staff, hot drinks whenever you want, flexible hours
Cons
N/a
No support or help during training, unfair dismal, shame as charity is a worthy cause but terribly managed. Would not recommend to anyone.
Pros
Fun day to day work, good cause
Cons
Awful Management and support / training is non-existant
i loved working here just the the career i enjoiy
learnt how to take cash payments

help out anymembers of the public

comunicate with clients

make displays in the shop.