Cornwall Council

Cornwall Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom98 reviews
Friendly and highly skilled
Great people, very helpful and welcoming people. Up to date with current technologies, expert colleagues always willing to help. Flexible hours, location and working from home
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Cornish wages
Ideal environment
An excellent work/life balance and and a rewarding location to work in. Excellent in-service training programme and advisory support network. Good management structure.
Cons
Not a good place to work
I worked in the Contact Centre at Camborne and all I can say to anyone offered a job here is only take it if you have no other alternative and are really desperate for work. You will lose your soul

The initial training was good but then you get thrown in the deep end with only minimal assistance. When I worked there I was told to direct any queries to someone who although very nice would insist on calling me ‘darlin’. I did say to a colleague that I was uncomfortable with this but this was met with surprise and a warning that this was really insignificant in relation to other issues. I soon found out what they meant as the bad language (although admittedly only from a very small but seemingly influential group of fellow workers ) was upsetting but just seemed to be accepted.

But the worst thing about the job was the management which was like something straight out of a situation comedy. Managers (of which there appeared to be numerous who drifted in and out at will) operate a duty manager system. Every day there would be a different duty manager who was to be the first point of contact if you required help or assistance. It was made clear that on no account were you to speak to another manager. I made the mistake of asking a question to a manager who was not on duty and was told very abruptly by them of my mistake. The level of assistance you got depended on the competence and willingness to engage of the manager. The less competent would make me feel as if if it was a failing on my part if I asked for assistance. I was made to feel that the problem was in fact
 - more...
Supportive and professional
I enjoyed work and felt fully supported by colleagues within my school and those working in Education Department. Whenever advice was needed the department had staff who could support me in my role.
Good public sector employer
Enjoy working here, there are plenty of opportunities to grow and progress. It's important to interact with colleagues and join in with the social activities that are available
Pros
Free parking, on site cafe, good staff welfare
Cons
Public sector pay grading
Loved the job
Loved working with the council on a temporary basis. I was welcomed a d worked hard so I was able to work my way up and have more responsabilites during my time at the Council.
Very different to the private sector
Good people. Nice atmosphere and a good mix of skills. The council is a very different environment to private sector work. The challenge is trying to change a culture.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Governance
Many benefits but sometimes frustrating
Flexi time is a big plus working for Cornwall Council, however there is still a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get even the smallest task completed.

Managers can be hit and miss.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cornwall Council?
Good work colleagues, ok place to work
Hours between 0800-1730, with core hours of 1000-1500.
No overtime, flexi leave in lieu of any extra hours worked.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people who deserve and are entitled to specific services.

The worst part - dealing with people who are not eligible or entitled to specific services, but think they should be. Dealing with ungrateful people who believe the world owes them a living
Supportive
Supportive environment. Invested in with training. Great team. Management could be more understanding during difficult circumstances. Benefits package great.
Wasted years
Regretted working for c.c.c 19years of my life wasted.company under valued in every sense.All about tick boxes and bad management if your face doesn't fit that's it .
They look after their people
Perhaps stuck a bit in the 'old' ways but their focus and motives are driven by good values and principles. They have numerous schemes to support staff but are tad lagging in re-inventing themselves so if you are a trail blazer be prepared for frustrations.
Disappointing
No leadership, no management, no suitably experienced managers. Poor attitude towards Councillors based on "them and us" attitude where trust is absent and obfuscation the norm. I quit in despair!
Excellent staff, poor management
Many benefits including a flexible working pattern and home working. Day to day colleagues are friendly, knowledgeable and hard working. Management is poor with little communication during key periods such as the very regular restructures.
Poor
Changed work hours and wages as soon as I was given a contract.
Reduced my hours and wages.

I did not feel valued.

I did not feel that there was any job security.
Large and diverse public sector organisation
opportunities to progress, challenging environment, continuously changing structures and commissioning of services.
Many hoops to go through before decisions can be made, and usually never very quickly!

Good opportunities to work with colleagues and stakeholders and to improve processes and systems
Far from fun
Management wanted blood for a pittance and had great workers but today people who are not workers and no order, staff go shopping instead of working and go home early instead of at correct time.
Paying peanuts still and got monkeys as workers
Very enjoyable work place
Well supported by team..very warm welcoming management and entire team. supervisions very informative.. reflecting on all aspects of practice. Identify ing all weaknesses and how to develop on a regular basis . Regular supervision from manager. Regular updates regarding improvement on practice. Regular team meeting and supporting one another. Constant engagement with the team. Well supported.
excellent work place
excellent training and development opportunities and opportunities for advancement . good flexible working and ability to work in a team that contributed to each others development.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
luck of funds
If you can get in, it's ok.
I know the Council is ridiculously underfunded and that's not their fault, but they need to pay people what they're worth to attract and retain talent within Cornwall
They also need to take active steps to stop the loss of good, established staff who've worked hard for the organisation who can't progress beyond band H or I because of people who take early retirement up-country, move down and snap up middle-tier jobs at the council as a 'hobby' until they're ready to retire for good. In my time there I saw this happen again and again. If Cornwall Council are seriously working for Cornwall they need to think about some sort of positive discrimination in their recruitment processes to retain and develop existing staff.
Some good workers but poorly managed
The team were poorly managed. The managers tended to over delegate their work. Discrimination in job interviews and as a result few opportunities for promotion as the Procurement Team preferred to appoint external staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cornwall Council. Our community is ready to answer.