Coral Employee Reviews

Appalling
Csm (Former Employee) –  North West1 May 2018
Horrible place to work, only real suck ups stand any chance of advancing. Poor training, long unsociable hours, I’ve worked 11-12 hour shifts with only a 50 minute break.
Pros
Slightly above minimum wage
Cons
Almost everything
terrible company to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands27 April 2018
management are shambles and don't care about any of the lower down people, very boring job. no help from anybody and the lower down staff are ignored
Fun workplace
team member (Former Employee) –  Derby City24 April 2018
it was like a family to me as i loved the customers and got on well with them all and the staff. We often got free main session bingo vouchers. Meal prices were subsidised. Lockers were provided. Uniforms were provided. There was always a christmas meal booked and if you worked over christmas you got a free christmas meal. My wages were always correct. Overtime was available if you wanted it.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Late finishing
Great at first but has changed and is a nightmare.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex22 April 2018
When first starting working for Coral it was a good and fun environment but over my time it has changed horribly. The company does not care for it's staff or customers, all it cares about is getting people to sign up to a stupid card so they can get people online and start to close shops. They have gotten so bad that they have a game of the week and if you don't get customers spending on that game the shop gets in trouble. To me that is bad as they now expect you to get customers to play a certain game when it should just be advertised and customers play what they wish. All in all Coral has become a bad company to work for, only good thing is most of the people I work with.
Pros
Made good friends
Cons
My depression is at an all time high because all work does now is stress me out and anger me.
Stressful environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow19 April 2018
Putting up racing times, counting till and safe, serving customers, translating betting slips, serving hot drinks, investigating prices, Think 21 policy, Gambling Commission adherence.
Management was extremely difficult to get along with. Often sent to unknown areas to work with no choice. Unsociable hours. Constant, unfair threats of warnings and dismissal. Violent threats and abuse from customers.
Pros
Great staff members
Cons
Too stressful
Not a good place to work
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Renfrewshire15 April 2018
I work for Coral and would not recommend. There's a lot of favouritism from management with no overtime, recognition or reward for everyone else. Very unprofessional with lots of contradictions including pretending to care about "Responsible Gambling" issues while forcing staff to pressurise customers to play FOBT machines and then naming and shaming the staff who don't reach the ridiculous monetary targets each week. There is no home/work life balance and a lot of under trained managers, gossiping and backstabbing between shops. The only enjoyable bit of the job is the nice customers
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Unprofessional and poor pay
not fun
customer service (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent12 April 2018
i liked working for the company but i felt like the management did not help their employee's they did not respect them this is why i left the company.
Bullying
Cashier (Former Employee) –  sinfin derby10 April 2018
after starting on a 25 hr contract at Corals in Sinfin Derby I was told by the rest of the staff that I was taking their hours and was not needed. They then ( apart from one member of staff) refused to help with any training or help me with any part of the job. They even went so far as refuse to speak to me.
I was then told I had to work 5 evenings a week on rediculously short shift with all my hours being put on a Sunday which has previously been agreed as my day off.
After 5 weeks feeling de- moralised and bullied I left. This was a shame as with different staff and better hours it was a job I could of done and enjoyed.
Pros
nicee customers
Cons
bullying staff lousy hours
Very low pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge2 April 2018
Salary was very low and job atmosphere was meh, everyone does what they want and the shops are always dirty and a total mess. No room for progression either
Pros
Little supervision
Very good job
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London28 March 2018
Management and staff all nice and welcoming. Helped to settle in easily and always there to aide or assist in anything you have difficulties with. Good environment to work in,

Want to know more about Coral?

Ask a question
Great place to work for sports lover.
3.Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  London20 March 2018
I learned about the cost and the profit.I also learned about Management layers and their scope.The friendly culture was there.Individualism and autonomy were the most enjoyable part for me.We were not micromanaged.Hence, we were more creative and productive.The hardest part was rota planner not understanding the local needs and the expertise.On the other hand, rota persons might have their issues.This could have been bettered by having better communication.
Don't waste your time!
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire19 March 2018
People and job are awful.
People are horrible, job is boring and the hours are awful! Don't even waste your time. Coral was the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life! Management was also awful! Leaving was the best thing I have ever done for myself! Don't even waste your time.
Pros
Going home
Cons
good progression but terrible job
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham15 March 2018
A typical morning begins by making drinks for self entitled gambling addicts and cleaning up their losing slips as they discard them on the floor despite the place being littered with bins.
Very nice place to work
Deputy manager (Current Employee) –  Slough12 March 2018
Am still working there I enjoy working and helping customer. Am a very hard working man. I like d company because of the customer and people around etc.
Do not apply
Sales executive (Former Employee) –  Kings Lynn9 March 2018
Absolutely terrible company.
Management is horrendous, you don't get trained properly, you're expected to just 'know everything'. Always working within a small team so depending on which venue you are at, the manager will favourise others.
The company don't care about the safety of customers. Over 90% are all gambling addicts, they admit to not being able to afford gambling and often get aggressive yet the company don't care as long as they take the customers money.
Pros
Above minimum wage (after probation period)
Cons
Bad management, rotas get changed every day, abuse from customers and other staff on a daily basis.
not very pleasant time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford25 February 2018
when i first joined corals i enjoyed it , i had an amazing manager who taught me everything . however i moved ares and it was very different not pleasant at all
Pros
different, colleagues are fun and pleasant
Cons
unsociable hours
Soul destroying
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  North West22 February 2018
Unless you end up in a shop with a good shop manager, do not bother.

Favouritism among higher members of staff, unsociabable hours and the customers are horrendous.

Not to mention how much cover they try to get you to do, why do you think people don’t turn up for their shifts? The company is a complete and utter joke, never again.
Pros
Above minimum wage
Cons
Shift patterns, staff, customers and constant pressure to make connect card sign ups.
Not great
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  EDGWARE18 February 2018
To much preacher at work . I was not happy to with with coral and after that I been offer form paddy power and I was very happy as very good company and very good pay.
Pros
Long shift
Cons
enjoyable most of the time
cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwich12 February 2018
most of the job was fine,take bets and translate,easy enough,good banter with customers,obviously no job is perfect and you would get the odd incident with a customer or lack of staff at times.most staff are great.
Pros
good staff, good banter, big sporting events.
Cons
late finishes, some verbal abuse, could be very quiet.
Retail Job
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City7 February 2018
Typical day consists of taking bets and processing them, making sure shop is clean and tidy, communicating with customers.
Management can be quite demanding due to daily and weekly targets and there can be quite a lot of pressure on staff to reach those targets.
Hardest part of the job- dealing with customers form different backgrounds.
Most enjoyable part of the job- talking to regular customers.
Pros
Easy job during quiet days
Cons
Long hours and no life-work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coral. Our community is ready to answer.