Connells Employee Reviews

Rat factory and slave labour
Sales Negotiator (Current Employee) –  Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire13 January 2020
One of the worst companies to work for. They make you work like you owe them your blood sweat and tears. Need a loo break ? you’d rather wait til lunch time as you will be mocked for going to the toilet by your team leader in front of the whole floor. If you are sick you have to constantly call them every morning to update them and that’s speaking to your team leader, who will ask you a thousand and one personal questions and make it seem like your genuine absence is costing them millions. You have holidays which you can’t take off when you want to unless your a favourite of your team leader.
It’s no surprise they are recruiting every two weeks. Nobody stays here , the turn over is diabolical. You are under paid and treated like a dog. Abused and mocked in front of everyone on the floor. It’s full of young people who are 17 18 19 years of age and who only turn up to work to make sure they have their flings in the toilets.
Stay away and stick to JSA, this company are committing day light robbery and slave labour.
Pros
There isn’t any !
Cons
Abuse, bullying, too many hours, no life, power hungry managers
Awful
Property Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside7 January 2020
No care for the mental health of their employees, management is poor and an overall awful atmosphere to work. Many people left due to mental health being ignored.
Career
Senior Sales negotiator (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes4 January 2020
Good employers to work for, lots of benefits. Flexible working hours and days. There is lots of opportunity for career development. Plenty of benefits and rewarding bonus scheme.
Regretfully worked here
Property Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead17 December 2019
As much as my role was workable, the portfolio was a nightmare. Mismanaged by the client, too many systems to work through. Other portfolios seemed to have complete different way of working
Abysmal, male oriented, manipulative culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire10 December 2019
Senior management bully staff, absolutely ridiculous policies in place. Not allowed a cleaner so we were expected to clean the office outside of working hours and when attempting to do this during working hours we were disciplined. Was also expected to buy our own hoover and claim it on expenses.
Absolutely terrible pay below minimum wage and when justifying this, they said that they would make it up with commission but this was a lie.
Bullied by a member of staff in office twice my age and made to feel that this was my fault with horrific behaviour. And when I came forward and expected support they brushed it under the carpet and tried to hide it.
Never once did I see my expenses cone back into my bank account. I spent over £800 on fuel since I worked for the company and they refused to pay it back.
When I joined we had an amazing area manager who cared about us but when he left everything changed and now they have a new Lettings area manager in Oxfordshire who is useless, bullies you into keeping quiet and kept me behind on several occasions and locked me in the office to discuss unprofessional and unacceptable topics and to ask me to withdraw my complaint shout the bully.
If you are buying or selling through the company they expect you to use the mortgage advisers and if a client chooses not to use them the mortgage adviser will be questioned as to why not. They will then manipulate sales and vendors to sell to people who are using their services to make sure they get their commission.
Please avoid this company at all costs. They pay terribly and there are lots
  more... of agencies looking who will pay at least 5k more than here. The culture here will drive you into the ground and unless you like working ridiculous hours and every day of the week I wouldn’t bother.  less
under appreciated staff from above area level
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Shaftesbury23 November 2019
Branch level fun to work at. Positive pressure but lack of appreciation from above area level. Salary’s very unfair with little consistency depend on job role.
It's a glorified pyramid scheme.
Sales Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire20 November 2019
I don't want to make this long. I was in the GEM office, which stands for generating extra market appraisal. Aka making up stuff to con property owners out of their money, whether we sell their house or not.

in short you are:
Encouraged to Lie to property owners in order to make us money
Overworked (54 hours a week inc Saturdays)
Underpaid (Disgusting basic, 14-16k adds up to £5ish an hour)
Unprofessional place, have to learn new scripts to con people everyday. Please steer clear. No advancement either. You are sold a job thats going to make you "rich" in the words of my manager, I should've listened to my friends who told me to stay away from Connells.
Their targets are so unrealistic it's funny, I've seen "top bookers" book barely 1 valuation a day for weeks. Oh also, you get a measly £4 per booking, because the branch manager takes most of it. So even if you booked decently, it adds up to minimum wage. Their Staggering staff turnover rate is no surprise, people leave every few weeks, I literally see new people come in for training weekly.
To summarise, this job is advertised as a place where you can get RICH without any experience or qualifications. In reality, you are used as a slave to work below minimum wage and be grateful for it.

Please value yourself higher than this, when I told my family I got the job as a sales negotiator at connells they laughed at me. Now I see why. The first thing I was told by my branch manager was "I hope you make me lots of MONEY!" He also proceeds to walk up and down the office screaming "get booking, dont you have bills to
  more... pay!"

If you still join after reading this, you'll learn your lesson like I did.
A place to suffer.
Sales Negotiator (Current Employee) –  Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire8 November 2019
Dreadful, management is so poor, they threaten you if you don't meet targets. The job says 40hrs a week but you end up working 60+ a week. Depressive.
Fast paced, fun and rewarding
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cannock6 November 2019
A lovely bunch of people to work with and great management. I only left because I needed more hours. A typical day involved writing up house descriptions, uploading photographs, scanning documents to solicitors, answering e mails, ordering office supplies, sending out advertising materials etc. The work is varied and absorbing. You are expected to be productive and the work is quite target driven but management are supportive. Basic pay is low for admin but there are opportunities to advance and sales jobs are better paid and offer commission. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Can't say fairer than that.
Great as long as you get lucky with your branch
Lister (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire6 November 2019
Some connells offices are making fantastic money others barely make anything. Staff turnover is very bad in some areas and they pay very low basics compared to other agents. Training is good and there is promotion opportunity however targets are set across the company.
Great for 1st exposure
Temporary Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire5 October 2019
Lovely tight knit team who welcome you with open arms, the manager is extremely down to earth and approachable..... everyone wants to help you to do your best...communication is marvellous
Avoid!
MBU (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard3 October 2019
Managed by children who lack people skills, constantly adding on extra work to staff without extra salary. Nothing is kept confidential even with 'managers'. Worse than a school playground with gossip and bullies... avoid at all costs!
Challenging place to work
Sales Negotiator (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire2 October 2019
A typical day when I worked here was to start at 8am for a morning meeting where we would recap the previous days figures. These were always not quite hitting targets, and targets were increased if they were hit.

Most days were busy, with phone calls coming in and calls to be made, punctuated with walk-ins from the busy high street outside. Targets were set for booking viewings and mortgage appointments - miss those targets at your peril.

The aim was to get as many viewings in on as many properties as possible, even if those properties didn't match the requirements of the viewer, and as many mortgage appointments as possible, by any means necessary.

The workplace culture was highly toxic, with individual commission eroding team cohesion and increasing stress and pressure. The hardest part of the job is remaining motivated and positive under pressure from challenging targets, on top of long hours and low pay.

Interacting with the public was always a pleasure and meeting people from all different walks of life can be fascinating, although in hindsight i would suggest this is not a place to work unless you enjoy very pre-defined working structures and a heavily target driven workplace. You need to be a fighter to work for this company - they see that as a positive, but in reality you're just fighting for your job every day.
Rubbish management
Property Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard12 September 2019
Massive employee turn around due to poor training and management. Often staff are belittled in front of a packed office, very unprofessional. Highly stressful job, mentally and emotionally
Pros
Cons
Pay, management
Poor pay for the workload
SALES ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire7 September 2019
Working part time as an administrator but yet given a full time work load. Found myself always doing extra hours just to get ahead (for free as they don’t pay overtime!).
Too much pressure for a part time role on rubbish wages. Bottom of the chain, treated the worst yet without the administrator the properties wouldn’t get uploaded and the company wouldn’t make the money it does.
Horrendous by all accounts
Sales Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 August 2019
I just about survived working for Connells but it has not been easy. I now suffer from mild PTSD due to how much I was bullied day in, day out by members of my ‘team’.

I could write a whole book about how awful Connells is to work for but I’ll give you the abridged version:

- rubbish pay. I’m talking less than £6/hour average.
- horrendous working week. 8:30-6 every day with no break (you are entitled to an unpaid hour lunch, but if you take it you WILL be shunned). Fortnightly Saturdays 9-4 and ALL Bank Holidays (unless you book leave!)
- pathetic leave. 22 days p/a (illegal) and you have to use up some of these days over Christmas if you would like to see your family for more than 3 days.
- awful commission. Absolutely no chance you can survive on Connells wage and ACTUAL commission (OTE are fabricated from some fairy land). Connells seem to forget that people have lives and don’t want to sit in an office for 50-60 hours every week.
- stupid targets. Completely unachievable by all accounts. If you do achieve them you’re told to do more, not congratulated.
- Office of snakes. Trust nobody. You say something in passing and next thing you know you’re being sent home because they don’t agree with what you’ve said (pathetic way to work with ADULTS)
- No pastoral care of any kind. Family member had a heart attack while I was at work and I was told to ‘wait half an hour until close’ to go to see family. Told management I was having some very personal and traumatic issues and I was more or less told to man up and deal with it.
- Shockingly poor management. Told
  more... management I had an issue with a member of our ‘team’ and I was told ‘that’s just how she is’ and ‘I wasn’t the only person she had it out with that day’ - 10/10 for effort Connells, well done!

Since I resigned over 10 others have and more will come. I am not the only person with an experience like this - not one person I have worked with has a positive review of their time in the company.

Horrendous company to work for. Avoid like the actual plague - unless of course you would like to die a fairly slow and very painful death!
One of the worst employers I've ever worked for. Mgmt only interested in sales. Don't care about employees; they hire and fire at will.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 August 2019
Made redundant after 12 months! Marketing department treats employees even worse than branches do. They entice people in with big promises (e.g. work on huge projects, with top software and offer you CIM training) which never materialise, then they sack you when they change their minds. This happened to 4 staff I know of in 1 year. Their Head of Marketing in Liverpool will stab you in the back at the first chance. Don't be fooled by the size of the company; this is a national estate agent that treats its staff like commodities.
Pros
Good location in Liverpool.
Cons
Heartless management.
Hard Working Culture, with little appreciation
Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset15 August 2019
I used to love working here great reward, great pay, great management. Things are changing and area managers have little to no power anymore, all lies with the big boys, sitting on the highest chair who don't even know your name.

Hours expected to work are a min of 50 on a good week, regularly work upwards of 60 hours, with no extra pay. Told you will gain it back in commission, except on the yearly pay review, of which I had 2, your commission goes down, rather than any increase in salary or commission even if you're making the company profit!

Average wait time for expenses is 8 weeks, and even then they always get 'lost in the post'..

Some very good people in this company, of which they will loose all of them if they continue to work in this way. 11 People have left the company in the past 2 months in this area, and still they put the fault on the staff rather than how they treat and reward their staff, strange.
Interesting and varied role
Part Time Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset5 August 2019
Enjoyable place of work and working along side a very friendly group of sales man and woman.

A very varied role and with good training and busy environment
Pros
Good offices
Cons
Hours long for salesman
Stressful !!!
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire2 August 2019
Long hours, no appreciation, low salary, managers are slave drivers, good training program but comes with a lot of hidden horrible surprises !!! If you don't want a work life balance - this is a perfect job for you - they are even open on bank holidays !!!! Its like your in big brother, someone is always sneaking up on you to check what you are doing ! Snakes ...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Connells. Our community is ready to answer.