Compass Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Catering Manger (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 November 2018
I had the overall responsibility for all aspects of the business. This including staff management, appraisals, staff rotas, salary.ordering and stock taking
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Long days
Intresting
Events Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Tamworth3 August 2018
They are a very supportive company to work for the managements are very nice and will talk to you and train you but there seems to be a lot of empty promises with that company as i found out applied for a job role did all the work and long hours to then be told 9 months later after asking about my contract and pay to be change that there was never a job role put in place and they apologized and that was it
Pros
free lunch
Cons
0 hour contract
people
FOH & BOH Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham12 November 2018
People are why I do this job and working for compass it is all about people all the way whether it is guests or workmates.
The backbone of the Hospitality industry work for them and it is where first class service and food gets delivered everytime.
Pros
appreciated
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Epsom3 August 2018
With Compass, I work at Epsom Downs Racecourse and it is such a fun a good place to work. The pay is good and the hours are too. The environment is lovely, both staff and customers make the experience more enjoyable.
Pros
Free food
No teamwork
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Oxford15 August 2018
I started working for a kitchen in east oxford run by baxter storey this kitchen was taken over by compass 3 weeks later .i had to do extra potwashing from ten chefs they were intimidating.i had to put ten cages of deliveries away on my own i was accused by the chefs of leaving the fridge door open which was completely untrue they cut my wages to 962net for a fulltime month they wouldnt fix the dishwashers when they broke down the chef kept giving me instructions the other kp left ten managers visited us from hq they expect you too smile not really possible.etc.etc.etc.didnt have time for breaks.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
No teamwork
Its Alright
CSA (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear7 January 2018
Honestly, its a job, no real world benefits at all, depending on whos there can make or break your shift, were always running out of supplies and customers are rude, and so are the higher ups, to them youre just a number, if that.
Cons
you dont get paid for your mandatory breaks
Good for Students
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cardiff1 August 2018
Working in the Stadium for Large Events, good for students who need money, enjoyable and relatively easy job. Get to meet lots of new people.
But management is quiet impersonal due to large numbers of staff. Long days but free lunch.
Worst place I have ever worked
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare1 August 2018
Very poorly run venue and they don't care too much about their staff. Holidays ignored, requests ignored, not paid the correct amount, no contract, no breaks and hours not recorded properly so you are underpaid by the end of the month.

Working hours law was broken several times when I worked there and payroll don't care about you unless your a manager.
busy
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool9 November 2018
busy cafe located in a large asda store, working most weekends and also holiday days, busy atmosphere and sometimes get complaints about the food but good people to work with
Long hours but does have its pros
Catering and retail staff member (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff22 May 2018
Hours can be long when working events or doing set up shifts. However it is a relatively quick way to earn more in the week. supervisors and managers have been there a long time so it can feel a little cliquey but most of them are friendly and happy to help if you ask. Hardest part of job it they are long, tiring hours. Some tasks can be repetitive .Best part is you can see large popular events whilst also earning money.
Pros
packed lunch provided
Cons
often you have to work through your break because the day gets busy at sporadic parts of the shift.
The job was brilliant, management were not
Early Interventions Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry10 April 2018
The team does a fantastic job, the colleagues were amazing, management was inconsistent, responses to grievances was poor and unprofessional. Upper management was worse and the higher up a problem went the less support and more poorly you were treated.
The job is essential and rewarding and the team delivering interventions does an incredible thing but if management decide they don't like you they will make your time difficult and treat you appallingly.
Avoid ! This example of modern salivary
empolyees (Former Employee) –  London City , City Bank6 January 2016
Worst Place to work ever ! especially in London City CB.
People are quitting jobs very often but management is not hire anyone to fill gap, simply all additional responsibility are spread between remaining staff , so now almost all people are working for 2 or 3 persons and no one ever will thanks them.
Every year target is raised and just because there are so many brilliant workers each year target is achieved.
Unfortunate we do not get any raise or yearly bonus ! I'm sure management gets it tho.
All Managing personnel s not have any skills and knowledge, on management method they know is shouting and complaining that workers are not doing this job as he should all work is badly organised and people are getting more stressed!
All Managing personnel do not want to listen about issue with quality to suppliers after they introduce cost cutting policy.
Additionally management is gets rid of employees if they complained or are to old, by providing false reason , even tho they are efficient and were working for company many years.
Pros
Cons
overloaded responsibility, Management is treating employees like they are owning them
Never again.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hatfield21 May 2018
I have worked in catering, at the begining of my job placement I did NOT find atmosphere friendly, lots of arguments between team members where management could 't help.
nice people to work with
Chef (Former Employee) –  Worthing, ENG7 April 2014
the usuall set up prepare, breakfast,lunch,eveniing meals. i learnt to become more confidence , communication skills, had some supervisory skills which i found rewarding.it can get quite pressurised, etc, when you have your deliveries but you allways sucseed.its nice when you get the praises for the good teamwork at the end of the day.
Pros
you get allowance
Cons
i all ways worked extra hours if there were emergencies i class it as my duty
great place to work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon20 May 2018
A typical day at work for me was cooking breakfast and making sandwiches to go in the vending machines, i couldn't have asked for a better manager, i worked well with the other ladies, the best part of the day for me was lunchtime cooking.
Pros
free food
Cons
there was no cons for me in this job.
very busy work at the hospital
barista (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire1 June 2018
love my job queues out the door head down and serve the customers with a smile upselling is amajor focus and getting 100 percent for mystery shopper we have agreat team and customers are great.
Pros
great hours
Cons
highly pressuried
It was a fine placement
Kitchen assistant chartwells (Former Employee) –  London14 December 2012
Working hard all day and the benefits was serving the children their meals.

Learnt how to multi task within a kitchen setting and food
preparation.

kitchen manager was difficult at times she stressed a lot

some co-workers were great to work with and pulled their weight within a team based setting and others didn't .

Working in a small spaced kitchen area

Meeting and the joy of serving food brought to the children and staff and meeting some really nice co- workers
Not a good place to work, except the staff
Catering assisstant (Former Employee) –  Bishopbriggs11 May 2018
At first it was good. Then I could see the didn't care about there customers or there needs. There very money orientated which yes money does count, but they took it to extremes. A few people including myself were near breakdowns.
Pros
Cons
Evertything
good to work for
Comie chef (Former Employee) –  anywhere9 July 2017
the company gives you a good salary and and grate people to work for. i would work for them again if i really needed to as they are just good. looking for closer jobs is a taks
Pros
grate experiance
Cons
not lot of money
compass group
Deputy of Head Waiter (Current Employee) –  London, ENG26 August 2015
I like the fact that the shift patterns are flexible Dealing directly with customers is enjoyable mostly.
It is a prestigious and large group. They have a lot of good systems in place that make everyday work easy. They have decent pay and benefits.
Pros
free lunch, flexibility
Cons
some times very long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass. Our community is ready to answer.