Compass Group UK & Ireland Pay & Benefits reviews

Compass
Senior Supervisor - Full Time (bars) (Current Employee) –  Cardiff16 September 2019
A great company to work for pays always above min wage perks are pretty good too staffand managers work together and depending where you work the atmosphere is amazing on an event
terrible company
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Llandudno20 August 2019
Compass are a terrible employer.They pay lousy rates of pay,we have not had a pay increase in 3 years.The holiday entitlement is terrible.The whole team feel undervalued!
Pros
Good comapny to work for
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge11 August 2019
Always paid on time great supervisors and managers really enjoyed working with this company. Overtime available but was never forced i to it. Would work for them again if hours suited.
The Worst in the world.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Grantham31 July 2019
This company made me horrifically ill, the pressure and stress put on you lead me to have to sign myself off work and I have never felt like that in my life before, ever.

The company has no money, they expect miracles with no resources, they pay the team minimum wage and they always expect managers to be on call if someone phones in sick, which the team regularly did because they weren't motivated, because they worked for a company that couldn't care less about them, that was completely disorganised and awful.

I worked all the time extra without being paid and was never able to get the time back, I could honestly say I was probably owed around 80 hours pay in the 8 months I worked there.

I regularly paid for drinks for the team in the summer because it was exceptionally hot and they had no staff discount or free drinks provided - I also regularly paid for equipment out of my own money because again, no resources and no money but expected miracles.

Compass is horrendous. They promise you the world, provide you with nothing and wonder why they can't keep managers for longer than 12 minutes.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Many, as above.
Productive and fun workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon23 July 2019
You feel very settled in your role and whilst long hours can be tough you develop great relationships with your team. There are various levels of management so occasionally you have to track down the right person to deal with a particular query but they are all more than happy to help. Very competitive salary and job advancement is mentioned often.
Pros
Free lunches, sociable, competitive salary
Hard, but beneficial
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk23 July 2019
The work is good, however the hours are rather lacking, and not great if you're a parent, however if you're looking for a job for the weekend, this will be a perfect little job for you.
Just dont.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex11 July 2019
Worst place I have ever worked for. Expected over time with no pay then you are reprimanded. No benefit, rubbish pay, managers useless and untrained. Only stayed because of convenience and some of the stories you hear/witness.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, No benifits
Easy Going
Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire23 June 2019
I enjoyed working for Compass. The hours are really flexible which I appreciated as a uni student. Communication was easy and so was the job (although it did involve a lot of standing). The pay was pretty good, benefits were ok - free food although it differed between departments (a warm professionally cooked mean vs sandwich and crisps). Plus as I worked at the football stadium I got to watch the match on my break and often saw some celebs. It can be difficult to get enough shifts sometimes so if you're looking for lots of work this company may not be for you but I can't recommend it enough for students who need a bit of easy money between studies.
Pros
Easy work, friendly and professional staff
Cons
Potential lack of shifts
Don't even bother working for compass.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey20 June 2019
There is a huge divide between chefs and kp's, the management where often up to some shady stuff and hypocrisy was frequent. The amount of people who shouldn't be working in the role they where doing, because they where incompetent, or because they where racist or sexist, or sexually touching members of staff. It may be different at other parts of the company but, I wouldn't advice working for them. Also the benefits are really bad.
Can't even pay me properly
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire31 May 2019
Only received pay rise when I threatened to leave, promises made on development within the company but they were never kept, I have worked for several years with the company with countless hours of overtime which I didn't get paid for as I am salary and to top it all off my wages were messed up twice, the only good thing with this company is the fact there is several sites around the UK, even if you wanted to get a job somewhere else they really are not helpful with that either..
Cons
Long hours, no support, treated like a number
Perfect student job
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham10 May 2019
Flexible event work, perfect part time job for students. A lot of different roles available to suit everyone and can work for venues around the country
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
Not guaranteed regular work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside24 April 2019
Fun place to work,part of a team excellent,working some days on my own,,great staff ,excellent workplace job opportunities,staff lunches free great teamwork
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Weather
You can do a lot of lone working
Yeovilton on base (Former Employee) –  Ilchester19 April 2019
You could be doing a lot of lone working changing beds on your own not good the best part when everyone teams up and working together much more enjoyable
Pros
When you all work together
Cons
Lone working not good
Shocking Shocking Shocking
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire6 April 2019
Having been a chef for more years than I can remember never in my life have I worked for a company worse than compass. Severely understaffed in unit having to work alone for 12 hours or more when the staff don't turn up ( a regular occurrence). Promised an hourly rate but was reduced when started job. Wages at the end of the month £500 short and taxed on emergency rate even though I provided P45. Cheap, substandard ingredients, no equipment had to bring own utensils just so I could do my job and most of the equipment in the unit broken. Avoid at all costs. If I could give it no stars I would!!
Disgusting people
Porter (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2019
The most disgusting firm I’ve ever had the misfortune to work for. Unless your related to the managers they will try there hardest to drive you out of your job to give it to a family member. They bully people into doing overtime then dont pay you the extra money hoping you forget about it. They took over the contract at a London hospital and have well n truly ruined a lot of people’s lives there. Anybody with any sense DO NOT WORK for these people, trust me being on benefits is a better option.
Pros
Non unless your related to the managers
Cons
Having to fight for your wages
Horrible company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Barnet, Greater London10 January 2019
Please avoid as company does not offer sick pay and deducts overtime hours. Also they mess around with your pay please do not work. Especially in security
Worst company ive every come across
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southwest London, Greater London30 December 2018
I used to be a cleaning superviser for icm compass group the managers are useless no communication what so ever I had around 25 nationwide bank cleaners to supervise I could never keep cleaners because my manager was useless and never communicated when it was important salary was good but when I left they tried to get away with not paying my holiday I was owed in till I took them to small claims they payed me please Avoid this company!!!!
Pros
None!
Cons
Dont pay whats ment to be payed !!!
Unappreciated overworked for the least money.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 December 2018
After working for medirest for 5 years in security I can say the uniform is hard to get I supplied my own. They always get your wages wrong and you have to fight for them to pay you CORRECT months after they made the mistake. Your expected to do everything for the least money a NHS domestic is on more money then a medirest security guard. Management don't have your back. Your overworked and overtime is single rate of pay. They make it difficult for you to take your holidays. Working nights you should get more money but you don't and you will mainly be on nights. No Counselling of them as you see people dying and selfharming. If you get injured doing your job you don't get sick pay. Hardly no training. You will be taking knives and dirty needles (HIV) off people and expected to restrain people all the time and get assaulted and spat at for the least money of about £8.90 when the NHS security guard next to you is on over £11 a hour and gets sick pay. The only good thing about the job is the team of security guards we had each other's back and supported each other as you won't get any off the management. Equipment is poor health and safety in the control room is poor. No cctv chairs your sat to close to the cctv screens which hurt your eyes and is not up to code.
Pros
Good team of guards
Cons
Poor pay. Dangerous Conditions. Poor management
love the people but not the job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex20 November 2018
the job is becoming so much harder than it should be and the salary doesn't warrant what we have to do in considerations to the job. there are no perks and no scheduled breaks, eat on the run and break when we can.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, no perks, no free lunch
Compass
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 October 2018
management was not good in anyway.
we were short staffed most of the time
the work place was good as we were helping cancer patient which i enjoyed .
hardest part was working with a supervisor that didnt have any supervisor experience
Pros
free break
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group UK & Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8