Compass Group UK & Ireland Employee Reviews

Horrible manager
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire19 April 2018
All the manager cared about was money,money,money. Cut back on staff. Making it harder for the individual. No care about staff at all. Stay away !!!!!
Pros
Lovley staff. Free meal.
Cons
Manager
Love it
Hospitality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff13 April 2018
I love working for Compass.
They have helped me with money throughout my university degree, I am now a hospitality supervisor within 1 year and my pay rise was brilliant.
Fab company to work for.
Pros
free lunch, good pay, long hours, great staff, flexible hours
Cons
zero hour contract, limited promotion
Good to work for
Cardiff (Former Employee) –  Cardiff12 April 2018
Good company to work
Got to work some big events
Lovely management and team
The hours was ok
Got to travel to Cheltenham/Coventry/ Gloucester/swansea
Fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell9 April 2018
food prepping, cleaning, opening/closing kitchen and serving customers. You can take breaks whenever it isn't too busy. Also always having something to do.
Worst company to work for
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire6 April 2018
I was told job was one half hrs worked for month got paid one hard day txed manager who said hard day was contract I had tx from him confirming hr half a day told him I kept every tx he sent so they can't even admit the truth my advice avoid them
Pros
Not a thing
Cons
Rubbish company
good place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fife3 April 2018
good friendly place to work,good canteen and choice of food,helpfull friendly staff,good rate of pay and training good breaks.good hrs lots of overtime if you wanted
Pros
free meals and coffee
Cons
bit busy at special times of yr
Awful Place to work!
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham2 April 2018
Can't give this company any star ratings as they are most unprofessional firm I've ever worked for ! I lasted just a week with them they were that bad. Health and hygiene had to be done at home on your own computer which took forever. Not paid for it whereas I was paid for doing it with my previous employer. I was offered a pair of second hand pair of safety shoes and had to buy my own uniform! No training whatsoever and zero hours !
Pros
Cons
No training and useless management.
Worked for compass after they got the contract
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk28 March 2018
Would not recommend working for compass. Only bothered about e -learning ! Takes hours on your computer and you don’t get paid . Have you working 5 plus days to get 20 hours work ! Expect the world for this but there is just not enough time ! Low moral , avoid unless u just want to take anything
Pros
Can’t think of any ! Oh the staff were nice well some of them !
Cons
To many days out working for minimal hours, management think they pick them off the street .
Excellent work place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sindlesham, Berkshire24 March 2018
This is one of the best catering services l ever known in the UK. Staff were treated with courtesy and respect while the residents enjoyed high level of hospitality.
Terrible Management
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Norfolk17 March 2018
High turnover of staff often left to clean a store on your own. Makro make extreme demands and treated like a lowlife with no respect by their management.

Compass pay wrong consistently don't follow through and don't even provide us with access to drinking water a basic 101 that the area manager has no clue about the law around this.

Fortunate enough to work with a couple of lovely people making it bearable.
Pros
Nice work colleagues
Cons
Silly expectations from store, store managers can be rude and insist you do things that arent even in the janitorial remit, compass managers dont care and dont listen, payroll always uncontactable. Generally terrible to work for
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  London15 March 2018
I had to clean Nationwide Banks in East London after, before opening hours. The hours ranged from 1 hour - 2 hours depending on the size and the location of the bank.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
No breaks
Fun, stressful but rewarding.
Catering staff (Current Employee) –  London9 March 2018
Being such a large brand involved in supplying for and catering large cultural events around the world, Compass has a heavy focus on delivering an unforgettable customer experience. This relies on staff across the board to meet these expectations. Working as part of the catering team really helped boost my time management skills as staff were expected to manage their time effectively to arrive on time battling heavy traffic and ques to get to work. I learnt how to engage and interact with customers to deliver better service that compass emphasised greatly and become a better team player as a result to deliver better customer service. This was vital as many of our events were large lunch servicing before big matches that required synchronised efforts to achieve the most fluid customer experience, especially in pressurised scenarios to deliver service.
Pros
Free lunches and match viewings
Cons
Long hours with little breaks.
Avoid !!!
Domestic (Former Employee) –  East Midlands9 March 2018
Awful company to work for, awful pay for the conditions your expected to work in..also supervisors and management are completely clueless..also expect little or no training and the health and safety of this place is s joke.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Everything else
Educational Place to work
Project/Technical manager (Current Employee) –  Nationwide7 March 2018
Managing varied type contracts within the service industry. Leaned more about the soft services side of life, i.e. catering, cleaning, security and reception.
culture was silos for different sides of the business which needed to be brought together to ensure uni-formal working practices and sharing of information.
hardest part of role was to pull together teams to work together who use to not know about the other sides of the business.
Completing projects/Contracts and knowing that you have helped improve the way these where instigated and run to make sure all parties had a better working partnership.
Pros
Diversity of businesses to interact with.
Cons
knowledge of business of other parts who could help by working together.
Unfortunate location, only male in a large group of females.
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhondda2 March 2018
Working for compass was enjoyable and taught me many important asspects of customer service and stock management, unfortunatly there were many times hours needed to be cut and there was a lot of friction due to the large number of female staff.
Pros
Requested to help open new stores
Cons
Too much negative interaction with other staff
Worst management AVOID!
Barista/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill2 March 2018
I started with this company in October of last year and I’ve been in hospitality for 9 years. This has got to be the worst company I’ve ever worked for. The management if you can call it that is nothing but a bully and treats all people differently. Favouritism is a word chucked around work recently. I am currently the only full time employee left. When I first started there was 3 full timers. Management is now deciding to “trial” part timers some how and still have myself as just the full timer with nobody to rotate with. That is an awful amount of pressure to put on one person. I am currently looking for a new job as we speak I cannot take another second in this place. I wish anybody good luck in trying to speak some sense into the management if they join the company because they are blind and don’t listen to emoloyees and they overwork and most of all under appreciate staff.
Pros
Free food up to the vaule of £3.50
Cons
Money, overworked, being ignored and most of all MANAGMENT!
use to be a very good place to work
Catering school management (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside28 February 2018
I am looking for a better opportunity in the Business..
I have been in this Company for 10 Years, and i had enjoyed every minute.
I am very well knowing member of the Business in the North West.
I am a very well respected
In the last 18 month,i have experienced several unpleasant situations , and i didn't feel any kind of support from my superiors.
fun working environment happy customers good management
Till Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 February 2018
well managed,fun work place happy staff and great events look forward to working the events such as six nations and concerts such as cold play and Justin beiber
l like this compass because is a big company and care for everybody
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London23 February 2018
l work from Monday to Friday
l learned how to work with different people
good management
Decent place it is hospital
Flexible not too much
Happy all the time
Terrible... disgusting place to work.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 February 2018
Avoid!
I have only just recently started and already getting hassle from other members of staff, there is a click in our workplace and being the new person they seem to try and make me a skivvy. Im constantly pressing to be trained. I have been here 2 weeks have had no training on chemicals, cleaning equipment, coffee machines. Its dangerous!
Looking for a new job as we speak!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Staff, management, money, hours, rotas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group UK & Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.