Compass Group UK & Ireland Employee Reviews

Don’t go near
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bramcote Nuneaton18 July 2018
They tell you one thing and then treat you terrable and then get rid of you, don’t go near them at any cost there a really bad company to work for was tuped over in jan got the book in June
Pros
Cons
Treat you like scum
Avoid
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester18 July 2018
The worst company I ever worked for , They are to big to care about you , you are only a number . No time to do anything temp is made up people crying 😢
Pros
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, bad management
Great team to be a part of.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire17 July 2018
This is one of, if not the best company I have worked for so far. I base this on how welcoming the colleagues were and supportive, and for how they made me feel like a valued team member and appreciated for the work I did. They treated me with respect that unfortunately I haven't seen much of elsewhere. The staff were friendly, happy to help you learn and progress at a comfortable pace. The actual job type isn't particularly difficult, but can be stressful during busy periods, but in a team like this, it is manageable and the hours were varying week by week or to help fit around my other job.
Pros
Great staff, free delicious breakfasts on shift.
Great company!
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City17 July 2018
A great company to work for! I have been at the same store for over 3 years now and would not change it to any other similar job. First of all, managment is great and always there to help, covering shifts and being very flexible with working schedule for students. We have weekends off and Xmas off, which is usually impossible anywhere else. In 3 years, I witnessed a couple of salary raises and higher managment really appreciate the team, remembering everyones names and always asking how everyone is individually upon every single visit.
Pros
Competitive pay, early closing shifts, weekends off, Xmas off
Cons
Understaffed sometimes
Work for compass for 6years
Head Chef/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands10 July 2018
The team i have working with me is the best team i could ask for it a shame the all employee can't say the same but in the long run it you who make a team so lets stop putting down the company as if you love your job you will work hard do your best and be the best. Joel
Pros
Happy
Good for students
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Sheffield8 July 2018
There is not much potential to progress within this job and would not recommend it to someone looking for a career. This was a zero hour contract so not suitable for someone with financial responsibilities such as rent, car insurance etc.
No management support
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Southend7 July 2018
Too high targets no support from upper management , low pay , good group of people work in most places any rewards offered not always received, left feeling very unmotivated
Pros
Nice team to work with
Cons
Bad management
Terrible experience
In store manager (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire6 July 2018
I worked for Compass Group as an in store manager for 2 years having worked previously for several high street companies as management
The whole ethos of Compass is directed at the big players & not the small outlets
I was left often with no staff & very little back up from my AM leaving me stressed & under valued
Would never work for or encourage anyone to work for Compass
Keep Out
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No back up. No consideration. Hour ratio very undermined
Calm Environment
Waiter/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Leicester5 July 2018
Usually would have to arrive a couple hours before kick off. One major benefit was that they gave you a wide range of food options for your lunch. Work with a big group so yeh its good
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Zero HOUR contract
Unsupportive, Bad Management
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whiston, Merseyside23 June 2018
Worked here for 3 months as domestic assistant, training was woeful was given training by someone who was there for a month who barely knew what they were doing. Staff on same level as you were most of the time lovely but most management and supervisors were bad and unsupportive.
No support for health issues and have unrealistic expectation's.
Do not work for this company
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire16 June 2018
Do not work for this company. They are the worse company I have ever worked for. The people I worked with are lovely and the supervisors but the management have no idea what they are doing. They will not help you with anything.

AVOID AVOID AVOID
Cons
challenging with good bunch pf people
Test lead (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2018
Compass was a great place to work when I joined few years back but now company is thinking of outsourcing everything hence cant comment on credibility of this organisation.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no career progression
Rather go back to McDonald's
Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex10 June 2018
The job description sounded great as it was something I have done before, but when you actually get there, you hardly get any training, everything is micromanaged and expect you to work way beyond your contracted hours and not get paid.

The only good thing was the customers and the staff from the other store, not the ones you work with. They don't like change, even if it's for good.

Just becareful taking on a role with this company.
Steady work environment
cleaner (Current Employee) –  raf cranwell10 June 2018
A busy and focused day. Management approachable when required. Staff and employees generally happy in their work. The hardest part of the job is getting action on required equipment. Working with my colleague is the most enjoyable part
Pros
continuaty
Cons
repetition
Awful management
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire30 May 2018
Worked for this company for a few months and in that time I saw an employees sacked for taking time to help customers,and one for not holding a mop properly. In a meeting with said employee ( I was her witness to what happened) the manager asked her if she would jump of a cliff if asked because she was shy and agreed to everything. I found this rude and demeaning. I left shortly after as I got 1 of 3warning before you're sacked for taking 2 days off for a kidney infection even though I had a doctor's note. Awful company to work for save yourself the effort and don't bother.
Pros
Cons
Nearly everything
Stay away
none (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire28 May 2018
Company doesnt care about you ,just about saving money ,general manager knows about pay being wrong but isnt bothered , staff leaving no replacements more work for staff thats left and have to pay full price for meals no free meals , no job promotions , low morale everywhere ,everyone wants to leave
Easy to obtain promotions
Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire19 May 2018
I have worked for the company for 2 years & have worked my way up from a catering assistant in a school, through a couple more positions to my newly acquired position of Unit Manager.

You will see reviews that moan about no progression etc, but that will be largely down to the negativity that these people portray. You can't be expected to guide and nurture teams of people if you hate the company you work for and voice it regularly!

I thoroughly enjoy my job, the people are awesome & my fellow managers are always there at the end of the phone should I have a question or six.
Pros
Lunches supplied; bank holidays off; career progression; job security
Cons
Not enough workable hours for each unit
Worst job iv ever had very poor management and totally messed up my final wage
Ward hostess (Former Employee) –  Kings mill sutton in ashfield19 May 2018
Still waiting after 2 months to get my final Pay sorted my wage slip had o e amount on I got 750 left was told this was due to me leaving which I explained was fine but wanted a proper wage slip with what I had earnt. Still on going but am now dealing with the payroll team ( had to find number myself as no one would give me the number.
Pros
Cons
Horrid management no
0 hour contracts are a nightmare
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Zoo, City of Edinburgh4 May 2018
The company gives everyone 0 hour contracts with some weeks you would work 3-4 days a week and others none for two weeks. It should not be done to anyone. The staff lacks basic communication between delivery orders and whilst working on the floor.

Your shifts can be cancelled at an hours notice and no money for travel compensated!

You can come to work and be told after 1-2 hours that due to the weather it is too quiet and they do not need you!
Pros
popular places of work
Cons
0 hour contract
Shambles of a company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Gretna, Dumfries and Galloway25 April 2018
I worked security for vsg and it was so shockingly run. security management at the centre are clueless and have not got any idea how to treat there employees
there so lost in some fantasy land with great big dilutional idea's they expect MI5 agents to walk through the door for the poorest of pay rates and listen to pure bull all day
Pros
Cons
To many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group UK & Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.