Compass Group UK & Ireland Employee Reviews

Poor training, contempt for staff
General Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Uk9 December 2018
The management team had no interest in me or the business i was running. It is so large an organisation and the systems are bot sufficient. Poor training programme and support offered if any.
Not enough support staff at Head Office meaning little resolutions for issues and nothing ever being actioned. If you are a manager who takes pride in your standards and want to deliver a great product, don't work for Compass UK.
Pros
Mon - fri, variety
Cons
Poor management
Avoid!!!
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall2 December 2018
Do not! I repeat, DO NOT work for Compass! I’m currently an employee of ESS and Compass. No communication, expect to work overtime constantly and gives you a bollocking when you say no. (Overtime is NOT forceable!) Managers don’t care, they literally see you as a number. If people leave, your lucky if they rehire, and if they don’t, they expect current staff to bend their legs backwards for them and show no appreciation to the staff that do what so ever. Limited breaks, and sometimes you don’t even get one cause the jobs keep getting added onto your busy schedule to the work day. Honestly they’re utterly poor! Just avoid!
Cons
Long hours. No free dinners when on shift.
I should have heeded the warnings about this Company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East Midlands29 November 2018
Avoid Avoid Avoid!!!
Poor communication, line management disinterested. Haven't been given the tools to do the job properly. Lack of empathy for staff. Change work schedules and rotas without prior consideration. Made to work weekends and Christmas when told in interview we wouldn't have to.
Pros
Uniform provided
Cons
All of the above
Awful place to work.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire22 November 2018
Erratic shift patterns leaving staff not knowing wheather they were coming or going. Awful training. Penalising staff for illness even when provided with proof they required treatment in A&E. Managment were clueless and even boasted about getting to management through family ties. Often left to cover shifts alone which is a health and safety issue being alone when comes to aggressive costumers. But hey at least you get a free sandwich.
Pros
Sandwich
Cons
Everything other than the free sandwich
hard working environment but polite people to work with.
kingsmill hospital (Former Employee) –  Mansfield8 November 2018
working at kingsmill helped my confidence grow and i feel i grown in a person and feel a lot more confident within myself now i learned how the hospital worked inside and out the management was amazing they make you feel really welcomed and you can speak to them if you are unsure on anything the hardest part of the job i think is seeing people and its really sad so i went in with a smile and try and make them feel comfortable and happy and try and cheer them up i loved seeing the people with smiles on their faces when they know you are working so you talk to them and see how they are doing.
Pros
you get a good break
Cons
its hard work
Poor management-
Helpdesk Administrator (Former Employee) –  london6 November 2018
No training available learn by yourself. Everyone works in a differerent ways. The funniest thing is once one of them turn their back they start chatting rubbish and they would all eat in the same plate and laugh together. As there is no way of progression they do not hesitate to back stabbing. Mischievous colleague.
Pros
Cons
only 30 mns unpaid break, no tea/cigarette break, toilet break they count the minutes and tell you " you took long for a toilet break"
Based in nottingham , dreadful environment ,
Part Time Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire31 October 2018
Worked with the contract for 3 mths, the training was rather basic however, once at the coal face you know the training was rubbish.
Just dont go there, the most awful place to WORK.
I felt like a slave
Pros
Cons
Exploited
Fun and laid back
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 October 2018
Very friendly team to work with, great working hours which was great for the work/life balance, just a bit too far from where I lived. Would definately recommend this company
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Early starts
The worst place I've worked for in catering
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire21 October 2018
When working with this company you get left with short staff like two people chasing there tails all the time , washing up pileing up while serving customers as well as till food prep cleaning the lot .. no support with training and sometimes even left with one staff to do all above And staff leaving all the time because of zero hour contracts.... No respect from this company at all as no respect for you .
Avoid this company
Domestic Assistant ex employee (Former Employee) –  Peterborough21 October 2018
No support or respect towards staff. Management are not bothered unless an area complains then false promises are made.
No wonder nhs are in debt with this company charging for areas that are not having less hrs work in to what they are paying.
I can see why so many infections happen.
Pros
Cons
Disrespectful towards staff
Compass
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 October 2018
management was not good in anyway.
we were short staffed most of the time
the work place was good as we were helping cancer patient which i enjoyed .
hardest part was working with a supervisor that didnt have any supervisor experience
Pros
free break
Cons
management
fast paced and engaging
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tain, Highland11 October 2018
a typical day working here started relatively slow but picked very quickly and lasted most of a shift.
management had a very good handle of everything going on and a well formed relationship with the staff.
the workplace was small but at the same time was perfect for that was required of the team.
the hardest part of the job was the lunch rush, with trying to ensure that the local high school students didn't spend any more than five minutes waiting for their food.
the most enjoyable part of the job for me was getting to meet the people of the community that would come in fairly regularly and being able to talk to some of them like i had known them for years.
Fun working place
Catering (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2018
It was very good to work there. Flexible hours. Very good atmosphere and bosses. Very good money but lots of traveling. Lots of different techniques i learnt there.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lots of traveling
Day to day not a bad thing
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Belfast8 October 2018
a decent work life balance , sometimes deliveries are late and this can cause all sorts of complications- no clout with suppliers due to the large scale of the company and central purchasing
Poor Everything!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sindlesham7 October 2018
Horrible management, workplace bullying by colleagues AND management, poor salary, long hours, terrible training. Left the job due to mental health issues being made worse by people that I worked with.
Very good training by Store Manager
Barista Maestro Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire29 September 2018
I am a current employee at Costa BRI and i am working there nearly 13 months and i really enjoy working with team and my store manager. she is very helpfull and always there whenever you need any support. I must say this is best one in my job History.
Pros
Very strong support from Store manager very Fair and transparent culture
Cons
Salaries can be bettet but not bad tbh
Shocking Company to work for.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire28 September 2018
Avoid Compass like the plague. Shocking company that breach TUPE regulations and chase you through the court's for 3 days over payment. Extremely poor management structure who simply don't give a monkey's. Work for these at your peril. Especially 14forty they're an absolute shambles. Champagne performance for lemonade wages
Poor support
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampshire28 September 2018
I was taken on as a manager in may was promised I would be trained no help whatsoever I was left on my own to do payroll paperwork got emails late at night constant phone calls no home life terrible place to work would never go back.
Very professional management
Supervisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire Bradford Royal Infirmary27 September 2018
I worked in BRI Costa and i believe that management is very profesdional . Very thorough when appraising and feedback.
Very impressed with the store manager support , surprise how people person Store Manager is . Great culture and very fair environment.
Pros
Great support by store Manager
Cons
Nothing i only left because i was relocating still in touch with my team
Overworked
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon18 September 2018
Former Employee Plymouth . Terrible management look after their own , they do stick together . You are very often overworked covering staff shortfall . Management and some supervisors need training on people skills . A few years of hard work and no appreciation . Teamwork a joke only if line manager approves of it . Other employees i worked with were lovely , only reason went in everyday .
Pros
Cons
Overworked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group UK & Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.