COMMONWEALTH SECRETARIAT

COMMONWEALTH SECRETARIAT Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews
Fun
work experience unpaid. I enjoyed my time there as they gave me some tasks that really allowed me to be part of the workplace, i felt like i had a responsibility.
Great Opportunity to gain and share deep insights.
Great people who are professionally rewarding to engage with. Excellent exposure to how to manage audit preparation and learn how a a not-for profit companies governance processes are managed.
An important growth experience
I worked within a political infrastructure
Learned more about UK politics and commonwealth and international relations in general.

I worked within a political infrastructure

L
Good opportunities and salary
Good opportunity but a need for improved governance. Good salary and leave. Opportunities to travel and explore the world. Network with key institutions and governments.
Nice environment
A typical day included,
Going through priority jobs, delegating work, catching up on present projects, brain storming sessions if needed.

I took away many positives working with nice group of people and learning new aspects on the Print Production side of things.

I felt the management was very poor, bad atmosphere amoungst the managers/ directors rubbed off on the staff.

There was a diverse culture at the Commonwealth which was great and made it interesting.
Pros
Beautiful environment to work in
Cons
Bad management never knew what was happening
Productive and professional environment
An international and multi-cultural environment. Enjoyed my work and the opportunities to support member states in a very tangible way to enhance institutional capacity. Al though the work involved a lot of travels they were done in a very supportive manner.
Limited career options in Administration
There are limited career options, training or advancement for administration related staff. The diversity of cultures, however, makes it a unique and interesting place to work.
Pros
Cultural diversity and friendship among colleagues
Cons
limited career options
Be careful
Be aware of colleagues who may undermine you. Management may take your budget away at a critical time leaving you to fail in key projects. If you speak truth to management, you are likely be made redundant - keep your opinions to yourself if you want to stay a while. Leave your ethics and standards at the gate when entering - there are for espousing to other organisations and not for internal implementation. The current state of the organisation needs to be seen to be believed - all good experience. Have your next career lined up to ease your exit.
Pros
Nice people from around the world and work in a beautiful palace
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at COMMONWEALTH SECRETARIAT?
Progressive learning experience
Ordering materials, checking and printing confidential jobs. Using my finishing skills to complete the job. Costing materials and copy count. Invoicing internal divisions on a monthly basis.
Returning end of month costings to the accounts section.

Producing internal and diplomatics passes.

Yearly audit on stock.

Light maintenance on all machinery.

Working late into the night at short notice.

Communicating and taking instructions from staff who come from 53 different nations.

Pros
Being part of a International organisation
Rewarding experience
Excellent employer
Work environment multicultural, friendly and productive

Enjoyed working at the company

Made many friends

The pay was good

I had the opportunity to travel to many countries for work

I had excellent supervisors

I worked with very little supervision though.
Employment agency
This job was obtained via an employment agency.

The staff are friendly and their offices are centrally located. What more can be said!
Friendly, multicultural organisation
A typical day at work would involve a wide range of admin and research tasks.
I learned about research skills, financial controls and administering projects and travel for staff.

My professional colleagues were from various Commonwealth countries and were very capable. They were mainly educated up to Masters level and often had good experience of working in other government and international organisations. The professional staff were involved in developing policy issues and advocating these to member governments and international bodies such as the World Bank.

The hardest part of the job was coping with demands at short notice for research and admin tasks.

The enjoyable part of the job was delivering tasks required within the given period of time.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Sometimes colleagues had unreasonable expectations of work delivery.