COLTEN CARE LTD Employee Reviews

An amazing place!
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Poole The Aldbury5 December 2019
I was a student nurse on placement at the Aldbury and I had an amazing experience. From the home manager to the housekeeping, all the staff were friendly, positive and hard working. I was made to feel welcome from day one and was sad for my placement to end!
The staff are experienced and passionate about their work therefore the residents get the best care! Lovely home and a great place to work!
Would not recommend working there
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Sturminster Newton, Dorset31 October 2019
All management are bully’s especially the Human Resource lady , careers are so overworked and understaffed , well known fact the night nurses sleep on duty ,
welcoming and fun workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth28 October 2019
I have learned so many new skills and has really built my confidence with talking to so many people. Im so happy i chose to start a care career. Everyway you turn you will always have support and smiles around you.
Good
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lymington, Hampshire14 October 2019
Dealing with all different needs for different types of dementia, the most enjoyable part of the job is going home knowing I have made a difference to the residents even if it’s in the smallest way.
Happy
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belmore lodge19 August 2019
Fantastic place to work always happy friendly staff great flexibility for working hours. Amazing training always kept up together. Management are easy to speak to.
Pros
Free meals
colten care, winchester.
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire12 August 2019
If it wasn't for the supportive staff I would of left long ago. Management don't care about their staff; because to them you are just a number! Staff are undervalued and are constantly moaned at, and given no praise for what they do. Shortige of staff, and some staff don't pull their weight. Most are amazing though. I wouldn't go to mangment for support, I'll go to the nurses or senior careeads
Pros
good rates of pay, paid breaks. most staff are freindly
Cons
managment
carer
Assisting residents (Former Employee) –  Longham, Dorset12 August 2019
working in dementia , personal care to resident , day to day looking after the elderly, including feeding, dressing , making them drinks serving the dinner , doing activity with them
Pros
caring for them
Cons
not paid enough 12 hour shift
No Support
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sturminster Newton, Dorset7 July 2019
My job I enjoyed what I did not enjoy was that you got absolutely No support from the management, everyone worked their socks of and looked after the residents amazingly, we actually cared about the residents not just think of them as pound sign which the management do. You would never get a Thank you for anything that you did But as soon as something goes round they are on your case with negative comments.
I worked there nearly six years and NOT ONE of the so called management came and thanked me or wished me well, not a word.
They Do Not respect or appreciate their staff and wonder why so many people want to leave, it is all about the money
Pros
People you work with
Cons
The Management have no Respect for their Staff
Very “clicky” not the best place to work, no team work and way to much pressure.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ferndown, Dorset10 June 2019
Very clicky, if your face doesn’t fit you have no chance.
No teamwork whatsoever and there is a blame culture.
A lot of people get away with doing what they want. Leaving others to pick up the work.
The pay is rubbish considering the amount of work that’s expected. Not enough support given.
If you don’t care about your mental health then go for this job!
Pros
Cons
Short breaks to much pressure clicky
18 June 2019

As the HR representative for Colten Care, I am sorry to read your comment. Where absolutely possible, we always try to promote a 'one-team' approach across all of our care homes for the benefit of staff and residents. Its a shame you have now left the business as we have missed an opportunity to put things right for you.
For anyone thinking of joining, there is an annual pay review every July to ensure we maintain a competitive advantage in the market-place.

Bad company to work for
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  Sturminster Newton23 May 2019
The company doesn’t have any empathy Towards it’s staff we are worked so hard and exhausted. Always under staffed they never give the holiday you ask for and the manger is a nasty piece of work. The residents don’t get the full care they need if your looking at going into care work then colten care is not a good choice. If you feel your being bullied or victimised then they don’t do anything about it you just get pushed out to leave.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, awful manager, they don’t care about there staff
18 June 2019

Thanks for commenting. As a current employee, I would suggest contacting the HR department in confidence to discuss your grievance to see how we can help. Please call 01425 460950 or email HR@coltencare.co.uk

Bad company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dorset10 May 2019
Bad place with some bad things going on . Too much stress, not team work at all. Carers work hard and they are very good,but nurses most of them do errors on almost daily basis.
18 June 2019

Thank you for leaving a comment about your individual experience. We continue to support all of our Carers and Nurses to achieve an exceptional level of care for residents and clinical excellence through additional training resources and support from our regional clinical managers.

Not the best place to work
HCA (Former Employee) –  Hampshire9 April 2019
Poor salary considering how hard you work and how many extras hours you work as most of the time the is shortage in staffing level. There in no team work as nurses dont want to help at all,and in some occasion they can be very rude to carers.
Pros
free meals
Cons
too many
18 June 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Its a shame you have now left as we have missed an opportunity to put things right and address things personally. For anyone thinking of joining, Colten Care promotes a 'one-team' ethos across all the homes, supported by 24/7 on-call help from operational and clinical managers. Our recruitment team is continually supporting homes where vacancy hours exist to ensure staffing levels are maintained.

Productive , the carers do their best to make it fun
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lymington, Hampshire10 February 2019
The staff and patients are lovely. The workload is heavy, the pay is poor .We are understaffed. We cannot provide 100% care on 50% energy. Not sure how much time we are supposed to spend with each patient on a morning/evening personal care routine. Residents often complain about the food, and lack of service they have paid for, which we struggle to give .
Pros
Free lunches after 8 hours work
Cons
Heavy workload and understaffed, unable to keep staff, unfair.
20 March 2019

Thanks for your comment, we appreciate constructive feedback. We are working hard to address some recruitment issues in Lymington. As a current employee, any suggestions to support recruitment including new ways of attracting candidates from the local area would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Rewarding
Companionship Team (Current Employee) –  Winchester8 February 2019
Working with dementia patients is challenging, but the pleasant work environment means that you are always supported both emotionally and physically by other members of the companionship team.
20 March 2019

Thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience.

good work envoirnemt
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Dorchester27 January 2019
Colten Care's, castle view home has a good work environment.
enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with other team members and residents.
friendly staff
Pros
long lunch breaks, free tea and coffee and occasional snacks
Cons
don't offer a regular amount of shifts, i have to ask for shift otherwise I won't get any.
20 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to comment favourably about your experience at Colten Care.

Bad management
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  The aldbury7 January 2019
The teamwork at colten care is wonderful! The care workers and nurses are lovely on the majority. I think that most of the staff who work there are angels they do regularly go above and beyond, however, whilst working there I encountered a few red flags.
Firstly the training was spotty I was sent to shadow but ended up being left alone with patients on my first day to do tasks the others didn’t want or were too busy to do! I did not have adequate training I did not know how to fill in a care plan or what to do in a fire I was only given basic moving and handling training and then I was free to care for people. Repeatedly staff were stressed out over lack of equipment and resources such as towels flannels and wipes. Thick and easy was being used on patients who were prescribed other thickening agents and pads bought by family were being used on other residents who had run out. I repeatedly saw staff being frustrated at residents and there was a huge amount of gossip in the background. A lot of staff have safety concerns but have not spoken up for fear or loosing their jobs. The homes are lovely however some residents are gotten up out of bed in the morning and sat in the lounge for the entire day with no or little interaction with others. There are improvements required but it’s not a bad home in fact the staff (not the manager) make the home such a great place. The manager stays in her office barking at people and being rude to staff under the guise of “tough love”
Pros
Weekly pay, good teamwork
Cons
Management and lack of supplies
20 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your feedback has been noted. Its a shame that you have now left the company as we have missed an opportunity to address some of your issues directly with you.
Our mandatory and core training courses are designed to meet the needs of all staff and we aim to arrange training courses and e-learning as early as possible upon joining the company.
Thank you for the compliment to the staff team; we appreciate how hard everyone works in the homes.

fantastic company to work for!
HCA (Current Employee) –  St catherines view , Winchester5 November 2018
When you’ve experienced working in a bad home , where staff are not being supported or listened too, your looked down upon when you try to address a problem and leave your shift feeling deflated then yes it’s time to leave ! I have joined this company / care home and found It such a positive experience , yes I found it difficult at first , yes I felt un supported but that wasn’t down to the management it was a feeling I had from other staff members , instead of moaning about it, I found that my manger was very welcoming with feedback and I also found that hearsay shouldn’t be listened too!
I’ve worked in home that management hasn’t listened to their staff, they haven’t put their residents first! This is not what I’ve exeperienced thorough my journey with Colten Care !
Colten values are paramount , you feel so welcomed when you walk in the door , management has a open door policy , from clinical lead to admin to housekeeping , the HCAs and those mentioned previously are at the forefront they dedicate themselves to the residents that come to live in the home and supporting their families !
When you start your Colten journey you are supported from the moment you walk through the door, from your interview process , your induction , your shadowing , your training and through your time in employment with Colten !
Great teams in the day and also at night ,
Pros
Too many to mention
11 January 2019

Thank you for your comment; we appreciate your time in giving feedback on your experience.

St Catherines View
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  St Catherines View, Winchester5 November 2018
I have worked at St Catherines View in Winchester for several years, i have been with the home through many changes and although it takes some time to adjust they are all for the better.

The manager has been extremely supportive with any issues i have been to her with. She isn't always able to share the outcomes of situations but i have complete trust in her and know her residents and staff are very important to her. Unfortunately some people don't always see this and when things don't go their way they try to cause trouble.

There is a diverse mixture of people who work at St Catherines and most of the team work well together and are friendly. The home can be a really fun and happy place to work.

Although it can be hard work at times, the residents are extremely well cared for and are thought of as family.

Over the years i have been on numerous training sessions which are always kept up to date and informative. My knowledge and skills have grown tremendously since joining St Catherines View, not only from the training session but also from the years of hands on experience, supported by senior members of the team.

I would recommend working at St Catherines View if you enjoy being part of a team, are kind, caring & compassionate and understand the challenges associated with dementia. An extremely rewarding job and a team i am proud to be a part of!
Pros
Free Lunch, Friendly Team, Supportive Manager, Fun Enviroment
Cons
A few sour grapes!!
11 January 2019

Thank you for sharing your experiences; we are delighted you have had many enjoyable years with Colten Care and hope there are many more!

manager shocking
Employee (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire29 October 2018
My time at a home in Winchester for colten care was awesome but unfortunately it now come a time that people should know the truth about the manager of a certain home in Winchester it's a family run business unfortunately the manager has the opposite attitude and lack energy positively motivation skills and understand nothing about man management certain staff members do there best everyday only too be put down demotivated and the manager really needs to be looked at as others are to scared to say anything it's a real shame that people get away with things these days and I only hope things get looked into
Pros
Seperate departments
Cons
Managers
working at colten care was the best experience in life
Qualified nurse (Former Employee) –  uk17 October 2018
same as Court Lodge which is part of Colten Care LTD. Colten care assisted me to pursue my management study at Bournemouth university. I started as a nurse and retired as a graduated manager
Pros
supporting staff in new pathway and promotion prospective. free lunch
Cons
always to to concentrate on recruitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COLTEN CARE LTD. Our community is ready to answer.