COLCHESTER INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Senior Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex27 September 2019
I learned so much about myself as well as the working environment while working here. Would recommend to anyone looking to increase their experience.
Typical Work Day
Business Communications Instructor (Former Employee) –  Colchester13 July 2019
It was always a great day interacting with the student and earning the opportunity to further develop my teaching skills while doing what I love to do!
productive challenging
An Engineering Internship (Current Employee) –  Engineering24 June 2019
My days at work are never the same as i am constantly doing different jobs within the college for different departments for the college. I am also doing different jobs around the engineering department from turning and milling to welding.
Brilliant team, brilliant job. I loved it
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex11 June 2019
I absolutely loved this job.
The people I worked with were fantastic.
Everything was well structured.
The role was interesting.
The culture of the workplace was friendly, helpful, developmental.
It was a very proactive job, and I learnt a lot.
A good place to study
Student (Former Employee) –  Clacton on sea4 June 2019
Brilliant place to learn new skills. From English and Maths to new computer skills. They also do Food Hygiene and CSCS courses. This is for new learners or people who just want to update their skills.
Pros
Near to home
Cons
Sometimes problems with the computers
Very bad place to work
Learning Support Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Colchester13 May 2019
Worked for the institute for a year as a learning support worker they don't deserve a star. Very unprofessional teachers, racism. Rude pathetic enviroment to work in. I heard a teacher telling students why do foreigners come to this country what are you teaching young people. The same teacher said just because you speak a language from the jungle that doesn't count as speaking many languages and that was health and social care department where they pride in teaching British values what a joke. Some teachers in that department manage people by bulling and evil gossiping in the office.
Pros
English department was good very educated teachers
Cons
Very low pay and expected to put up with rude teachers
Good college.
Machine Shop Assistant Technician (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 April 2019
A good college that links what your training to real life.Preparing you for a job. Good lessons involving maths and English that link to your course. Good flexible hours.
nice place
Artist in Residence (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex30 August 2018
was only on a part time basis within a small department. lovely atmosphere among staff and enthusiastic students. parking available and good standard facilities.
Worked in a good team of 4
Information Centre Assistant (Current Employee) –  The College at Braintree12 August 2018
The team I work for are brilliant, the Braintree campus has been cutting courses and is in the process of selling off some of the site and due to student numbers staff are being let go. Management is not really good mostly left to our own devices, I have picked up a lot of data base skills, reception duties and enjoy meeting and greeting. Hardest part of the job was when staff were on holiday and as it was a small team which included 2 part time and 2 full time staff, one of which was term time only, there were plenty of times you were a lone worker, there were lots of enjoyable times with fun and laughter.
Pros
30 days annual leave once you had worked there for 5 years
Cons
Hard to book holiday
Avoid
Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester3 August 2018
Negative workplace, too focused on what can’t be done rather than what can. Nasty habit of not replacing staff and dishing jobs out to already overloaded existing staff and not rewarding them at all. Poor.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Everything else
Day
Support Officer (Current Employee) –  colchester14 May 2018
No Security in jobs could be more honest with staff. Good staff benefits .Parking is terrible should have more staff parking and less student parking. If the staff can not park their cars then they can not teach. Often have to wit for a space. Good catering facilities.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
no security in jobs
A college that tries v hard for its students but gives little thought to its staff
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Business13 December 2017
It was stressful working there. Constant changing the policies as a result of government changes. Staff had little respect for each other, and some quite nasty. Overall a good college but would never work there again.
Pros
Would use is as a student
Cons
Would not work there as v low moral and nasty staff mates
nice enviroment to work in
Employer Engagement/IAG Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex13 November 2017
Varied job roles over the years but enjoyable. I gained many qualifications along the way met nice people that are life long friends.
Culture frustrating as constant restructures that unsettled staff to the point the college became unproductive and lost good staff.
The best part of job was working with young people to mke a difference to development alongside working with schools and employers.
Management became poor over the years as too busy cutting costs rather than looking at the need for development and looking after staff.
Pros
hours of work and benefits of good pension and discounts
Cons
constant job changes and restructures
Good place to work with other staff
Machine technician (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex9 November 2017
Very good to work for but to many management cut half of the manage ment team .It is very rewarding to help the students to work to there end goal then to get the highest that they worked over the year for
Pros
Good holidays and sicknes benfits
Cons
37 hours a week
A business not a centre of learning
employee (Current Employee) –  teaching3 October 2017
There is a bums on seat culture at Colchester Institute, the learners are seen as little more than cash cows.
Oversized classrooms and little resources.
The management (I use that term loosely) are self centrre and aloof of what we as employees have to deal with.
Note; I no longer view myself as a tutor but as an employee of a multi million pound business, where the principal, see,s herself as a COE.
Colchester Institute has lost its way and no longer gives the correct education/direction and skillls to the young persons of Essex
Pros
Cons
expected to work long hours with little reward
Nice workplace
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex24 September 2017
As an LSP we are not valued. Some have contracts some don't which is unfair. Not enough hours to go around, also you can be put with groups you don't want to be with. The good and bad are not distributed fairly
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not enough hours
rewarding
Media teacher (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 September 2017
Working as a teacher can be rewarding and challenging. I enjoy so much working with young people and teach languages and Media studies. We are an excellent team who always are supporting each other and proving great support to our students.
Pros
good pension
Cons
not free parking
good place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Colchester Institute28 June 2017
Good place to work staff are friendly and helpful, and kind people. would not hesitate to take a job there if the salaries are reasonable. recommended
Pros
great environment
Cons
salaries are low
Poor management, bully culture
Assessor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Colchester/Clacton on Sea19 June 2017
There was a lack of support from certain managers within the setting, and there was a horrible atmosphere in the whole department. There were a handful of people who made the effort to make you feel welcome, however this was ruined by the handful who seemed to go out of their way to make you feel excluded.

Everyone appeared to be treated differently (for example, some had to work in the office, however some were free to work at home, different mileage rates of pay even though its the same job role)

All of the above could be forgivable, if it wasn't for the fact that nothing was confidential, and everyone seemed to know all of your personal business which was discussed with management in strict confidence.

There was a bully-culture where friends of particular management were allowed to treat others disrespectfully without fear of any repercussions. Complaints and grievances were swept under the carpet.

I tried very hard to enjoy my time at Colchester Institute, and there are a few people who I have stayed in contact with, however management need a long hard look at themselves! Staff should never feel uncomfortable or ostracised
Pros
Handy U-Pay Chilli system, abundance of resources, lovely library
Cons
Micro-managing, very low staff morale, not enough parking
Enjoyable
Coaching (Former Employee) –  Essex6 June 2017
It has progressed various skills that i have and has also allowed me to pick up some new skills as well as knowledge. All people part of it are a huge help and the participants should be proud of themselves.