Colchester Borough Council Employee Reviews

Not the same since privatised
monitoring and response officer (Current Employee) –  Town Hall13 May 2019
xperienced staff leaving by the month, whereas 3 years ago turnover was very low and work here sought after.
Job can be distressing but interesting dealing with a range of clients
Pros
Good structure of support
Busy and stressful environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 January 2018
Flexi hours very good, loved working with my colleagues in a stressful and busy environment where we could support each other. Poor management and support. Blame culture very hard to deal with
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Stressful call centre environment
Amazing opportunity to work with CEO of CBC
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex15 August 2017
I have learnt an invaluable wealth of knowledge from the Chief Executive of Colchester Borough Council.

The culture and the people I have worked with have made my time with the Council an absolute pleasure and they are extremely accommodating and encouraging about the work life balance ethos.
Pros
Work life balance and flexibility
Cons
Pay Restrictions
for filling and rewarding
Refuse & recycling operative (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex9 August 2017
Collecting household waste and recycling, organizing daily routes and representing Colchester borough council when assisting members of the public with any inquiries.
Pros
working outside
Cons
The smell
Productive workplace
ICT member (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex20 July 2017
The workplace is very busy however all the staff are welcoming and provides everyone help when needed. The atmosphere is friendly and fun yet can still get work done.
Refuse Collector
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex22 May 2017
Summer jobs working for the local council empting domestic and commercial waste bins. Work involved working as part of a crew and independently street sweeping and generally tiding local areas.
It was a very happy and friendly place to work
Fleet and Depot manager (Former Employee) –  Colchester6 October 2016
Supply a front line service to the public and manage and motivate staff

To manage people and change

The management took time to include you in the service

Very friendly and a good team

Making a difference and helping the public
Pros
Good working cnditions
efficent and dynamic, friendly and sociable
Corporate Debt Officer (Current Employee) –  Colchester23 September 2016
Colchester Borough Council is a very dynamic company to work for, lots of support for progression and training, I have made so many genuine friends. The hardest part to my job would be consistency within peer decisions.
the most enjoyable would be being able to be passionate about your work.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Salary
its an ok place to work,but is nothing special.
Refuse loader,house clearance (Current Employee) –  Colchester4 July 2016
cbc are not to bad to work for,but as usual communication between the managers and the workers is poor,as is with most companies these days,also their wages are about ten years behind every other company.
Pros
some days you can get finished early
Cons
lack of communication between managers and the workforce.
Best place to work
Resource Office (Former Employee) –  Colchester, ENG19 January 2016
Best years of my life spent working with consumate professionals, at all levels. Sadly I was made redundant back in 2010
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
job cuts
loved working with the public got on well with fellow staff
car park attendant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, ENG2 December 2014
i enjoyed working for colchester borough council i worked there for 16 years had fun with the customers and working as part of a team i had an exemplary record of attendance and always gave 100 percent it was just a shame that being made redundant i had to leave a daily record of my job was always assisting customers and fixing machines to keep the car parks running smoothly
Pros
local loved the customers and was able to walk there as i dont drive
Cons
no cons really just enjoyed it
Voluntary Work
Voluntary Work (Former Employee) –  Colchester21 September 2014
This job entailed a range of different areas, including looking after the elderly and litter picking on the streets of Tiptree. In these roles I worked on my leadership skills whilst working with a team, and also my personal development in completing tasks on my own for long periods. I have also had to become more confident in how I approach people and in what I say and do.

Unfortunately, due to the end of my course for Public Services I was no longer required to do my Voluntary work. I decided however to continue this work in my free time as I not only enjoyed it but also felt Ia lot and I was excited with all the new experiences I gained.
Pros
I learned al ot of basic skills which i wish to use in further life.
Cons
N/a
High expectation, Changelling and Rewarding
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colchester14 September 2013
Working in a busy team at the Customer Service Centre dealing with customers via telephone and front facing and assisting them with their queries on Council Services.

I have learned and developed good communication and interacting with different customers where I can present sensitivity and tact to provide the best Customer Services. Also I have build up skills such as good use of I.T as I use this skill on a everday basis to create and store customer's details on the Council's database.

My Management are very supportive to the team at the Customer Service Centre. Regaular team meetings are carried out to listen to the team's opinion of improvements to the Customer Services and provide one to one meetings to show our Individual Performance Stats showing where the colleague is permforming well in a service but may need to improve better on another for example.

Co- workers are very hard working and work well together as we all support one another on a regualar basis. As a team we all make sure that we provide a excellent service at the Customer Service Centre.

The differcult part of the job is for the many changes to the public sector such as Benefit Cap, Bedroom Tax and Local Council Tax Support is effecting an high volume of customers. From this changes many customer can be challenging as they are upset and frustrated.
On the other hand what is enoyable about this job is assisting customers to make them feel comfortable and to ensure that they had a good service. This can be very awarding.
Pros
free weekends
Cons
lots of changes
Income Officer (Current Employee) –  Colchester, ENG14 August 2013
A typical day consists of allocating monies to the correct accounts, investigating items held in suspense and liasing with companies regarding payments to the council. I manage the collection and further recovery of sundry debts dealing with customers, collection agents and bailiffs.
This job has taught me patience, understanding and customer care.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Job Insecurity
good place to work
refuse collector (Former Employee) –  colchester15 July 2013
this was a good job but was only a stop gap whilst waiting for other work
Fun Workplace
activey asitent (Current Employee) –  Colchester4 September 2012
my day at work should be when i walk into work my co-workers give me a welcome in the morning and when i am givein work it show me what i need to do and show me ponites. if ive not the work before it makes me learn about more stuff about the work and ask my co-workers for help if i am stuff.
Pros
free breaks
Enjoyable and challenging
Community Sport Officer (Current Employee) –  Colchester15 August 2012
Responsible for the safety and security of the buildings and facilities. Taking bookings over the phone, e-mail and in person. Supervising staff, organising rotas and training. Setting up and breaking down various sports equipment. Sports coaching and activity supervision.
Pros
good pension
Cons
bureaucracy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colchester Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Colchester Borough Council Reviews by Location