COLAS

COLAS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews
It tries
Worked here for ten years or more. bent over backward to help out with non stop call outs and paid poorly for it. First Manager was great but the following was just a power drunk fool. Promotion was by who you knew not by your skills and what you knew. Just another Company giving bull to the main contractor and covering for not meeting their duty.
It could be a good place to work but you have to be one of the chosen few and willing to lick, you know.

Being old school I expect the management to know what they are doing.

Cross them and you are history.
I think it could be improved
I think they need more push instead of relaxed attitude more overtime regularly and The reason I left more hours and more money I think it could be improved a lot
not for me
i hated working there. and was glad to leave, i'm sure this was actually just more to to with me than colas as i had had enough of job type by then , so mabe not as bad as i thought they were
I was very disappointed
I was very disappointed with the way the company operates. I think I found out if the face does not fit you are out. I felt management were very poor especially my line manager They had no people skills I felt i felt my ability was questioned and slot was put on me to pick up and learn. I did start to settle in but felt I was being bullied by my line manager and there were a lot whispers going around and I did not feel I was treated in the same manner as the other team member.
Incoherent and Unsatisfactory
You can work like a horse and/or allow yourself to effectively become worked into the ground... You can easily find yourself becoming enslaved.
No job profiling, no training needs analysis, no appraisal process... It's incoherent and unsatisfactory.
Grantham
Company is a disgrace, management is poor, living conditions aren’t fit for a dog. Over worked, never payed right always taking entitlements off the crews
Very good company and professional staff
I’ve done job for this company 2 years ago and I meet very good and professionals people’s in that job.
Personal I recommend this company and I’m very proud for everything that I have learned during that job.
Productive and hard working team
Very nice staff, all round good experience. I would recommend this role to anyone who enjoys travelling as this job, you will never normally be in the same place the following month as the staff were eager to inform me.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at COLAS?
It’s work but not as you know it
Promise you a good job then shaft you IE only pay 8 hrs when you work 10 ? Don’t pay you your overtime at 1.1/3 just flat money days and nights in same week over 7 days and transport supervisor is a joke
Pros
Cons
Colas
was okay alot of workers was quite rude and didn't help as we where apprenticeships.
at colas it wasnt very good myself and another young man started together as appritships and we wernt shown what to do at all often just left stood their doing nothing no on wanted to teach us.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
working away alot.
productive BUT not fun
my typical day involved cleaning the streets. wasnt fun and was extrememly dirty. the publics perception of me due to the job in which i was doing was the hardest part to get over. the management where pretty good although a couple of members of staff where biased in specific ways due to family relations or friendships and was frustrating for everyone else.
Pros
Picked up for work
Cons
Long hours, public perception of the job, the job itself
good money in summer months but you work long days for it.
generally a good company,

would still work there but looking to balance my home life out more.

going through cut backs but still managing to keep the guys on which is good.
Cons
12 days on 2 off one of which is a travel day back away
Colas Cornwall quarries
They are not loyal to employees that have worked there for many years, they like to find ways to push people out then change the job role and readvertise, Cornwall quarries is very much who fits in and family orientated managers like to hire their family members in the business. Managers delegate work all the time whilst doing nothing, poorly run place.
Absolutely shocking
If you want to be the YES man then you should definitely join Colas Rail.
My experience has been, that if you question or query a management instruction (if you're lucky enough to get one that makes sense} then you risk your livelihood!

Decent managers are few and far between, the majority look after their own interests and protect themselves with the power.

Senior management tend to take the word of lying and manipulating middle managers who are not fit for purpose.

I can only say that if the current trend continues, Colas Rail will go down the pan....
Pros
Good bunch of guys working at the coalface
Cons
Lying middle management
warehouse and production operative
I was working as a warehouse and production operative at Colas in Warrington since June till September in 2018 and 2017. I was responsible for operating production line, orders and general warehouse works.
11 years service
I worked for Colas for 11 years as a plant and transport manager, overall I enjoyed working for the company, I would recommend it to anyone considering a position within the company.
Pros
Good working hours, pension, benefits
Cons
in fighting between business units
Enjoyable
Overall colas is a good job which comes with lots of benefits you they put you through different courses, you get to travel the country see different places, you work as part of a team to reach certain targets.
Great for progression but poor management.
Enjoyed working for this company for 3 years but was poorly run and had reached my peak. No sick pay was a big factor in me leaving also as this is very hard to avoid in certain circumstances and i never had the support when i became very poorly and was hospitalised.
great place to work
New to the rail industry and gaining valuable experience. I am currently embracing the opportunity to learn both OLE design and construction which makes me multidiscipline.
Colas Review
Receiving information on track condition from surveyors and implementing changes to the core model files of the track layout, updating the General Arrangement and Vertical Alignment drawing folders using Micro Station

Producing Form B Packs of the completed drawings for distribution to Network Rail Representatives

Producing PDF folders of the of the revised principal drawings

Implementing changes on civil construction diagrams, to display revised plans for track re-installation
Pros
First real experience of rail possession works
Cons
Outside influences affecting the time scales available, and the job implications this may have
colas farlington
i would come in every morning and the first thing i would do is sign in on the time sheet, my first task would be to mix the petrol with 2 stroke oil ready for the strimmers,then i would load up the fuel,strimmers,harnesses and strimming cord.