COLAS Employee Reviews

Absolutely shocking
Groundstaff (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 December 2018
If you want to be the YES man then you should definitely join Colas Rail.
My experience has been, that if you question or query a management instruction (if you're lucky enough to get one that makes sense} then you risk your livelihood!
Decent managers are few and far between, the majority look after their own interests and protect themselves with the power.
Senior management tend to take the word of lying and manipulating middle managers who are not fit for purpose.
I can only say that if the current trend continues, Colas Rail will go down the pan....
Pros
Good bunch of guys working at the coalface
Cons
Lying middle management
warehouse and production operative
Warrington, warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington6 September 2018
I was working as a warehouse and production operative at Colas in Warrington since June till September in 2018 and 2017. I was responsible for operating production line, orders and general warehouse works.
11 years service
National Plant and Transport Manager (Former Employee) –  North east20 August 2018
I worked for Colas for 11 years as a plant and transport manager, overall I enjoyed working for the company, I would recommend it to anyone considering a position within the company.
Pros
Good working hours, pension, benefits
Cons
in fighting between business units
Enjoyable
Highways Operative (Former Employee) –  Chester1 August 2018
Overall colas is a good job which comes with lots of benefits you they put you through different courses, you get to travel the country see different places, you work as part of a team to reach certain targets.
Great for progression but poor management.
Traffic Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire25 June 2018
Enjoyed working for this company for 3 years but was poorly run and had reached my peak. No sick pay was a big factor in me leaving also as this is very hard to avoid in certain circumstances and i never had the support when i became very poorly and was hospitalised.
great place to work
Assistant OLE Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 May 2018
New to the rail industry and gaining valuable experience. I am currently embracing the opportunity to learn both OLE design and construction which makes me multidiscipline.
Colas Review
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 January 2018
Receiving information on track condition from surveyors and implementing changes to the core model files of the track layout, updating the General Arrangement and Vertical Alignment drawing folders using Micro Station

Producing Form B Packs of the completed drawings for distribution to Network Rail Representatives

Producing PDF folders of the of the revised principal drawings

Implementing changes on civil construction diagrams, to display revised plans for track re-installation
Pros
First real experience of rail possession works
Cons
Outside influences affecting the time scales available, and the job implications this may have
colas farlington
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Farlington11 December 2017
i would come in every morning and the first thing i would do is sign in on the time sheet, my first task would be to mix the petrol with 2 stroke oil ready for the strimmers,then i would load up the fuel,strimmers,harnesses and strimming cord.
Very good
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 October 2017
High career prospects, excellent working environment, professional, everyone always happy to help with anything to do with work. Also good social environment
Terrible company to work for
Driver (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2017
Come across as good t's and c's but expected to work every weekend, can't get time off. Aslef not recognised for main core drivers. Negotiations done by Rmt plant drivers. Floating rest days used to take from nights to days.
Given company van but can be rostered an hour either end of long shift driving van.
Lots of drivers leaving currently due to lack if quality time off.
Expect to work loads of Friday nights/saturday mornings moving trains to Derby
Pros
Van
Cons
No protection with union.

Want to know more about COLAS?

Ask a question
Good people with good intentions
Commercial Manager - Wessex Capacity Alliance (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Station4 October 2017
Respected company within the Rail industry specialising in the Rail Systems and Infrastructure element of the sector.

A once lively HQ in Westminster is now somewhat a skeleton of its previous self, with a corporate decision made to concentrate on Track and Freight.

Sadly a lot of enthusiastic and knowledgeable people have since departed with most now working on JV's, Alliances and Framework contracts.
Pros
Respected Name, Central location, National visability
Cons
reudcuced estimating fucntion, low order book
Good team work
Road Worker machine operator (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire21 September 2017
If you are wanting to get away from the wife and get drunk every night this is the job for you.
Work hard play hard but I left due to them take any the perks off us
good honest graft
Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City, Glasgow4 June 2017
would work again for this company again in a heart beat good safe work canteen spot ppe the and tools no problem got on way the gaffer looked after the men well as ave good company to work for
Pros
good ppe
Bad place to work
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff28 May 2017
I did not enjoy working for this company because protocols were not followed and I was treated badly. Doing the same work as I was at DBSchenker but unfortunately not treated as well.
Pros
Cons
Badly treated
A good place to work for the single man.
Operative worker (Former Employee) –  Everywhere19 April 2017
This job has plenty of things to learn and has many rewards with good pay, great bonuses, and a great way to travel the country. Good benefits and the more you learn, the better the pay. Also a good pension and a shares scheme.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Can be long hours and working away a lot.
Bad place to work
Traffic Management (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 January 2017
The management take layer back approach to all work and expect the forman to do the work for them. It is all ways a battle with to get the job done with damaged equipment and very old vehicles.
Pros
Ok wage for working from home
Cons
Very long hours
Good
Operator (Current Employee) –  Warrington22 October 2016
Management poor that's why I'm looking for other options.not a bad place to work but not run very well people in wrong positions
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Management poor
Great varied times of work and traction
Driver (Current Employee) –  Outbased17 September 2016
Colas is a good company to work for. I enjoy a very good salary with many additional financial benefits. the work is varied over many routes with different traction requirements.
Pros
Salary and job security
Cons
Last minute changes to roster
Former employee in strategy and development
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Crawley25 August 2016
Ask the people in colas as they are all scared for their jobs even the management so they have to do quiet a lot of brown nosing to keep their jobs. Everyone has got a horror story to tell about one person or the other that has been forced out of their job and I really do think that the people who have put the reviews on here are from the PR department of the company to make Colas look good but even in my short time their I see so many people come and go on false promises and 1 of the guys from Colas has even said that he doesn't bother remembering people's names as they come and go so often so my advice is don't go and work for Colas as the atmosphere is so bad there at the moment where as everyone that I talked to said they don't know what is going on as it seems Colas don't care about their employees anymore. All scared for their jobs. How many more people lives are you going to destroy especially in S&D where I was.
Pros
Cheap lunch & some (very few) genuine people there but the rest are conniving snides
Cons
Cheap conniving snide workmates who are scared for their jobs too
Good place
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Ringmer8 August 2016
Great place to have work experience and good people to get along with very good training in trucks and cars great body shop and great mechanics