Coffee#1 Employee Reviews

Good environment to work in
Barista (Current Employee) –  Torquay12 March 2019
Started off part time then finally become full time. Nice environment to work in, friendly customer and staff. Hours weren’t to bad, the pay it’s really good for my age. Very busy and high demanding job always on your feet
Pros
Nice staff discount
Cons
Always on your feet, and long hours
Family feel
Barista (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon21 December 2018
Working for Coffee#1 is like being part of a family. The stores and managers all work together so you get to meet people from neighbouring stores which is great! The job can be hard and busy at times, but with the team working together, even when short staffed it can be fun. Great job to have alongside uni studies.
Pros
Staff discounts. Contracted hours. The people!
Cons
Can be busy at peak times.
Busy but love it
Barista (Former Employee) –  Midlands13 November 2018
Being a small team it's like having a second family, the regulars are lovely and the company has lots of benefits - free drinks, massive discounts on food, good training.
I would say this isn't the job for someone looking to stand around and do nothing, there's always something to do.
When there is a full team its a real laugh but it can be a struggle if someone is ill but being a small team you just have to get on with it.
The shop opens at 8 and closes at 6 so the hours are not that long but you are on your feet all day.
Pros
Free drinks, discounts, coffee training
Cons
Busy
Waste of time
Barista (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth, Ceredigion7 November 2018
Unsociable hours, inadequate training at ‘academy’ facilities, shifts expected to be covered at the drop of a hat, little to no recognition and insanely awful management team. Pay was a little over national minimum wage but for the expected work that has to be done, pay is poor. Staff are entitled to one free drink per shift however due to being constantly understaffed there is no time to drink it - what is the point?
Pros
Free drink
Cons
Long hours, poor management, poor training.
Don't waste your time
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Somerset6 November 2018
We are just a number and no one cares about your development. Always understaffed and presured to go and cover shifts in stores at miles away from home. Higher management usually takes credit for other people jobs while they would not contribute with anything and they would lock themselves in the office waiting for another day to go by.
Cons
Long hours, no support
Waste of 3 years
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Torquay29 October 2018
Was working here for 3 years and never got a well done or a thankyou for anything, only ever spoken to by higher managers when you had done something wrong. Sent to other stores for a week at a time over 20 miles there and 20 miles back got a new manager and then threatened to be fired for no reason because they wanted to train staff their own way and the company cared more about profit than the comfort and safety of their staff... No cctv...No day or night net for safety and wasnt allowed to ban people no matter what they did.

Wouldnt recommend to be honest
Pros
Full time hours
Cons
Bad managment, bad area managers
Good company
Barista, Coffee#1 (Former Employee) –  Chipping Sodbury11 October 2018
Many flaws in the company but good overall. Management needs improving. Not great Job Work/Life balance. Many tasks are set at a difficult to acheive level inducing a great deal of pressure and stress.
Pros
Discount on food and drink. Free training
Cons
Unflexible, long hours
Absolute shambles
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wales5 June 2018
Worst company to work for, all they care about is the money their stores are making and do not care one bit about their in store staff. Higher Management is Absolutly diabolical, terrible hours understaffed everywhere
Cons
Long hours 30 min break, awful management, staff always leaving
wouldn't do it again
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bristol5 March 2018
perfect if your a student, was terribly treated by the company, staff and manager and descprimnated on when I was pregnant I couldn't wait to leave no job satifation or benefits from working for them.
Pros
N.A
Cons
Student job
Unfairly treated
store manager (Former Employee) –  Devon10 February 2018
Not a very nice place to work, an overrated company that have no idea into running a business and looking after the staff , they don’t care for there people, you are just a number. They expect you to work a lot of hours for no extra pay! No real training given, a very poor company to work for with no upper management help or support.
Pros
Staff discount when on shift
Utter garbage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chepstow, Monmouthshire19 January 2018
For some reason unknown to me I wasted 5 years in this hellhole. No decent benefits besides the discount and the hours can be awful. Worst of all is the area “managers” who couldn’t care less about how the staff are as long as the money is coming in. I have never felt less appreciation in any aspect of my life than when I worked here. The only decent thing is some of the regulars but even that isn’t down to the company. You are expected to do an infinite amount of cover shifts which you’d be lucky to get so much as a thank you for. I beg anyone to stay away from this company as I’d take being on benefits for the rest of my life than spend another second working for that company.
Pros
None. Literally none.
Cons
Everything I’ve said already. Area managers are the worst if I could name them I would.
Great Team and good pace of work.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sidmouth, Devon1 January 2018
working at coffee #1 was very nice as the team I was part of was very tight and we all had fun working together, moreover, the style of work suited me very nicely and I enjoyed the fast pace of the work also.
Poor Management
Barista (Former Employee) –  West Wales19 December 2017
I would like to say it is a nice company to work for as I had many enjoyable hours working at the store near me and learnt a lot, but unfortunately the company is becoming more and more like a chain and now only cares about profits so I cannot say this.

They could not care less about your work/life balance. I was on an 8 hour contract but this soon became 30-40 hours a week because the store would lose a manger/employee every 5 months. This was due to the high expectation of performance for little rewards.

I found many days I came home emotionally drained by the constant up selling they expect.

Customers see how it is a chain store and think they can treat you like trash.
Pros
1 Free drink
Cons
high expectation, low reward
One of the best places to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 December 2017
Having worked in one of the busier Coffee 1 stores, I can genuinely say that it was an absolute pleasure to work for them. Their pay is good but you work there for the ethics and the people; the staff are all amazing, the company is really focused on what the staff need and I loved my time at Coffee 1. I would recommend any job they offer to anyone who wants to put what is best for both staff, customers and the environment first.
Pros
Ethics, Staff Benefits, Management, Atmosphere
I like it
I would like to Wark (Current Employee) –  Kidderminster2 December 2017
Part time Wark in the coffee shop and wid talk to the staff and the customer support I have my grads and I love the company I wid like love to Wark and get to know now people
fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Somerset9 November 2017
Loved working in my store in somerset, Management always willing to help and Area Manager is brilliant. don't like covering other stores but over all really fun place to work career progression is here I think it just depends who you work with in the your store. but that's the same or any job.
Pros
free coffee staff discount and vectis card
Cons
cover shifts not extra pay for bank hols
Money Money Money...don’t worry about the staff.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern England2 November 2017
Terrible company ethos. They care about taking the money and not about their people. They expect people to work alone even when its busy and haven’t appointed a management structure in unstable store yet still want more and mores sales and less and less staff. If you care about the people you manage I would avoid taking a Management role...it’s just not a business where they care about you or allow you to care about your people.
Pros
N/a
Cons
It’s all about profit not people
Very busy place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wales12 October 2017
It's a very busy fast paced job with little or no recognition for your efforts. You put in a lot of work for minimum wage.
Management poor in my experience
Fun but hard place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol28 September 2017
I've work hear for 2 years. It's hard as a young person to go out and do things in this job as the hours and work take it toll on you. Your under appreciated for the work you do, and well the staff are the only resason I go to work there a fun bunch of people however the management is a shamble and they don't train you properly.
Pros
There is no pro in this job
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, no extra pay for bank holidays or Boxing Day.
over worked, and underpaid.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bristol5 September 2017
My hours exceed 50 hours per week at times, although i am contracted 35. no 'thank you' or overtime, time and a half or anything like that. just a warning from head office that i shouldn't work that many hours, but we don't need any more members of staff..
all benefits have been cut (free lunches, time and a half on bank holidays ect)
Very poorly managed company, expanding far too quickly and has lost its authenticity. slowly becoming a bland chain, and like all the others.
Frequently raising prices, and changing products.
Cares more about the amount of money they are taking rather than staff themselves. constantly being drilled about 'up selling'. we are told to ask as many questions as possible, to up sell as much as we possibly can.
i used to enjoy the job, but over the past few years i now don't even want to get up in the morning, the staff change so frequently due to poor management and equally poor pay. its far from enjoyable.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
incredibly long hours, very poor pay, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coffee#1. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9