Co-op Group Employee Reviews

productive
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton15 April 2018
A typical day working at The Co-operative would include being on tills, serving and helping customers. I was able to talk and help a variety of customers who came in, by being on the tills regularly I began to recognise the regular customers which was nice. The hardest part of the job for me was that it was the same every day, apart from the customers being different, the working routine was the same and never realty came of the till apart from lunch break. This can sometimes become boring especially when it is not busy. However, the management at The Co-operative were very nice, they got on well with their employees and were very easy to talk to.
Pros
meeting different people
Cons
no change
Terrible Bullying Culture.
Customer Team Member (Current Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire10 April 2018
The most enjoyable part of this job is the people. Both the staff and most of the customesr are truly wonderful.
The management however, is a completely different story. There is a terrible culture of bullying and harassment. This occurs whenever a member of staff attempts to stand up for their employment right.One example of this is being unwilling to finish a shift at 11 pm and start again at 6 am the following morning. I could go on!
The higher management are aware that bullying goes on but do nothing about it.
Pros
The people
Cons
Stressful
Good
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wimborne7 April 2018
varied flexible hours
Time passed fast when busy.....
I enjoyed the evening shifts as finished at 10pm...I did not like the early morning starts..... good team spirit
Pros
Discount
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire6 April 2018
Was a great place to work in amazing staff flexible hours when needed lunches were quite flexible as well learned a lot from working there flexible when you are sick or need time off so all in all a great place to work I highly recommend
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Good workplace to work in
Sales, service and motor admin (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 April 2018
• At the Co-Operative I started off in the insurance department. My duties involved were to sell car and motor policies to a vast number of customers.
• This consisted of handling a number of calls on a daily basis, it enabled me to develop my communication skills which allowed me to deliver and execute sales to customers effectively.
• Working in a team enabled me to achieve targets as a team member and help collectively to overcome any objectives we had set as a team.
• Working with new systems which are complex did not hinder me from progressing in the field of work in which I was employed. I adapted very quickly and settled into the work patterns without difficulty.
• My targets within the Co-Operative insurance are to progress.
Work experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Reigate31 March 2018
My week long work experience placement was a good productive week, and the management was healthy for the work environment. Overall i enjoyed my week here.
Good but could be better
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey30 March 2018
A Day at this job is usually fast paced and time will fly by if the shop is a very busy one, i learned a lot from this store to hopefully progress me into different lines of retail work, management can be very hit and miss as depending on store the managers either really help everyone out like the store I am in at the time of this review or do nothing like in stores i have previously been in.
Pros
Flexible to days you need off (depending on manager)
Cons
Shifts not rotated as often
Fantastic
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bearwood28 March 2018
Day to day I would stock the shop and to what was ask of me.The work place was the best due to the other staff being so friendly and helpful I made a lot of friend..I learned a lot in my time working at co-op not only about work but about myself to
Career prospects
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hayle28 March 2018
I enjoyed working for the Co-operative, I was fortunate to work with great colleagues and fantastic management, There are a lot of positives with working for the Co-operative as they encourage promotion especially to those who wish to go further within the company.
There are negatives of course as in all retail such as work-life balance. This is difficult in retail as all employees have to flexible. It is a case of being available from early morning to late evening and of course weekends.

Overall the Cooperative is a good company with great career prospects.
Pros
Free tea and coffee, Career advancement, good pension scheme
Cons
Shift work, early mornings, weekends and late evenings
その店に働くのは本当に楽しかったです。
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire27 March 2018
会社にいるマネージャー達は皆親切で優しく面倒を見てたんです。お客さんとのやり取りについてはよく勉強させられて自分の仕事のことにはよく訓練されてました。
Enjoyable but not for long.
Customer Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crouch End25 March 2018
Obvious disconnection between management and customer team members, it feels like everyone above your pay is conspiring against you to get the most out of you. Very poor pay considering i live in London, i live with parents luckily but even working 9 hour shifts 6 days a week would not leave you with much money for yourself.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere mostly.
Cons
No recognition, but do one thing wrong and it's a disciplinary.
Pathetic excuse for training
Funeral arranger (Current Employee) –  Kent22 March 2018
Came in as a funeral arranger-4 weeks shadowing someone else and then was left to run a busy branch on my own.
Absolute shoddy management-I constantly complained that I did not know what I was doing and was ignored. They are so short staffed they can’t orovide support.
Part time contract but expected to work every day, on low wage.
Pros
The job itself is very rewarding
Cons
Training non existent and the management take advantage of you.
Customer Team Member (Former Employee) –  Knaresborough22 March 2018
Very family orientated and very ethical. A great place to gain experience and learn key new skills, always willing to promote those who a excellent willing to work hard.
Pros
Great job.
Cons
Weekends and late shifts lol
good place to work
My job role was a shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol22 March 2018
I enjoyed my time here, it was a good job, I was only 16 at the time so I did no realise how lucky I was to get this job, I am currently trying to get back into this job role.
Fun
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, Essex20 March 2018
I worked for this company in 2015, at that time there was a small team in both of the shops I worked in. It was a relaxed job however there were moments when you have certain responsibilities which was nice
lack of COOP culture
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Bristol15 March 2018
The hardest part of the job, is the JOB. You spend 480 minutes connected to a talkman, without any relationship with your colleagues.

Lack of management support, ( except a few real coop workers ).
Pros
salary
Cons
no interaction with your collegues
Lovely people
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoddesdon7 March 2018
I got on well with everyone, my colleagues were very helpful
Customers were so lovely and very patient with me as I am special needs. I left due to the transition into McColls and the new management was not as great
great staff
Paper Girl (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich, West Midlands3 March 2018
I loved working here for the 5 years I did as my workload would always be ready for when needing to go out the door. They were wonderful to work with as they were willing to help you out with any situation you had also when I had to go. all the staff are lovely and can have a laugh with as they do not leave anyone out.
I would 100% recommend anyone working here.
fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough1 March 2018
I really enjoyed working at the co-op it was one of my favourite jobs the staff was excellent treated me with respect when I first joined the only bad thing I can say is that I couldn't get trained on tills.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
small spaces
Awful
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Blidworth, Nottinghamshire28 February 2018
I hated every single second of working for this company, disresectful, bad hours, awful staff, overall bad experience, woukd not work for them again even if ut was state mandated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Co-op Group. Our community is ready to answer.