Co-op Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,894 reviews matching the search See all 1,943 reviews
Excellent company to work for. Its what you make of it!
Estate Planning Lead (Current Employee) –  Scotland7 September 2018
The Co-op Funeralcare is an excellent company to work for. Ignore the negative comments you see on here. Management has always listened to me. Training and development is excellent. Far superior than any other company out there. Salary is very competitive and the benefits are great. I would highly recommend a career within Funeralcare if you have a caring nature and willing to go the extra mile for your client. Superb organisation. Market leaders.
Pros
Benefits, salary, development, training, job satisfaction, work life balance.
Cons
None.
Not a good place to much expected by so few.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent30 July 2018
Worked them for 28 years. In recent years so many cuts to the team. My last store sales grow by 50% and hours cut by 40%.. Daily tasks increased. Senior management really dont care. They have a must do attitude even though know it is impossible to achieve. They don't back up stores.

Depot deliveries are a nightmare they turn up
whenever they want. As soon as seasons change snow or sunshine it can't cope and you just to deal with it. Even though there is colleagues in store to. They expect colleagues to change their home life to fit in with the chaos.
Coop used be a good company to work even though they were behind the times. Now they are impossible. Not good if you getting in life your looked upon as a dinosaur and need to be replaced with younger people.
Pros
My salary was good
Cons
Far to many to list
Great, ethical company
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy27 June 2018
I have worked for multiple stores under a plethora of managers and each and every store was different. It had different challenges in all aspects both good and bad. It is a great company to work for, highly ethical and they attempt to look after the staff as much as they do the customers and clients. I have worked towards and been promoted while working there and with the new Boost program there is always career advancement opportunities. The main downside is that, with most retail, it is very low paying.

Highly recommended if you're looking to become higher management fast or would like some good, proper retail experience with a great company.
Pros
Career advancements, ethics, loyalty
Cons
Salary, hourly rate
Profit first. People second.
Customer Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wales13 August 2018
Pressure cooker atmosphere to work in.
Pay rates terrible.

Team leader pay rate completely not worth it compared to customer team member.

‘Amazing benefits’ - really not amazing, either unspoken about or you’re not eligible.

Customer team members just earning £8 an hour whilst the manager earns crazy money for doing half the work.

HR think they’re on top of it with employee feedback and ‘engagement scores’ but managment are fixing these reaults in store.

Your safety is no concern, will happily have one employee working alone in store.

No access to any of your payslips or information once you leave as they’re all digital - unless you make a GDPR request which I would recommend all employees do once leaving the co-op.
Good place to build a career
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire19 September 2018
Very good place to progress, the benefits provided are excellent with discounts in store and across the group as well, good place to build a career and nice store environment , can be very difficult at times for management with lots of work and no breaks, expect around 45-50 hours a week, hours reduced makes life difficult
Pros
Benefits across the business, carrer progress
Cons
Hard to have breaks, reduction in hours
Just another store
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Battersea11 November 2018
The company as such gives good training and benefits to the employees. But how you are treated in the shop is upto the manager. I had a really bad manager, his style of improving someone was to scream non-stop. You will not be able to know when he will be freind and when a mad man breathing down your neck.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
terrible shop management
Worst Job I’ve Ever Had
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent1 January 2019
This job is by far the worst I’ve ever had. Managment was the worst all the workers go behind each other’s backs honestly the worst company I’ve ever had the pleasure of working for.
Pros
High Salary
Cons
Management and Staff
Good environment
Night Shift Team Leader/Team leader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 August 2018
Pros

Teams are great and have a great work culture.
Everyone is energetic and friendly.
Staff discount
Paid holiday

Poor salary
Nice people, good benefits, great building.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester12 September 2018
Nice people, good benefits, great building. Flexible working. But chaotic IT environment. Lots of firefighting and the basics with regards to design documents and requirements not being done which causes a lot of issues.
Co-op
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knaresborough28 April 2018
It's a good company to work with, good benefits, very good if you want to go up the management ladder, everyday is different, good management helps a lot with the morale. I'd say the hardest part of the job would be persuading people to buy the membership card. Most enjoyable part is giving hte customer a good experience and happy banter with them
Pros
Flexible hours and usually get the holidays and time off you want given enough notice.
Cons
Can be long hours and not much of a social life due to hours you work
A nightmare
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire25 May 2018
I was a store manager in convenience - a role I had performed in previously for other companies.

Co Ops ways of working is out dated and archaic. As a store manager, you expected to run a store on a shoe string and have staff in based during periods of strong business, which makes sense, but not when deliveries come when they please and in ridiculous levels.

Co Op seem to believe that having a full warehouse equates to sales....it doesnt, it equates to countless rework with no manpower to do it.

Im not naive...convenience store mgmt is 80% management grafting. At Co Op, you're 99.9% grafting and 0.01% managing...I found myself with just 1 staff member on a till and me doing all the shop floor work...not managing anybody.

Area manager was a nice guy but pretty much agreed that it was out dated and needed changing yet did nothing to facilitate this. Saw him three times in the year i was there, and once was when I resigned...and i was turning over more in this shop than had it had ever done.

Salary was good to be fair, and two days before i left - i got a payrise. Area manager offered more money to stay but it wasnt about money, it was about being happy and actually doing a role where you perform your functions as per your job brief, not just be a one man band.
Pros
Salary wasnt bad
Cons
Too many too list
Fun work place
Supervisor/team leader (Former Employee) –  Rochester12 July 2018
Was gutted to leave due to child care problems loved the people customers and the job
After 10 years it was sadto leave but I live local so still see everyone
Pros
Praise
Cons
Late finish
Outstanding ethical retailer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dorset5 September 2018
A typical day at work, begin following diary commitments in addition to managing trade.
Multi tasking was a superb key skill development
Field and board management consistently approachable which begins on how You interact
Great work place culture combined with community activity and autonomy to lead and support on a wide scale
Pros
Financial reward, Job satisfaction
Cons
Fun, fast past and busy.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Northwich18 September 2018
I would start by unlocking the store and cashing tills placing bread orders.
I would then go onto doing reductions on food items that were coming up to end of shelf life, along with putting out any morning orders that came in, for example, sandwiches, breads, milk or a chilled order which includes, milk, cheese, meats and vegetables.
I would then cash up any handover tills up, prepare rotas, space plans, stock checks, stock rotation.
Evening jobs consisted of grocery deliveries, for example, crisps tinned items and further reductions on chilled food items.
Night time tasks included facing up the shop so it looked presentable to customer, cashing up tills.
I loved being busy and working as part of a team, I loved chatting to customers and making sure their experience of the store was a good one.
Pros
Busy, fun, working with people
Cons
Long hours.
Do not be fooled by their image
Customer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire2 January 2019
Please do not be fooled by the image they put out. Internally it is just another company no different from Tesco and the likes. The management get away with murder and the second you make a mistake HR never forget. The standards they set are too high, to get a top rating as a member of staff you need to achieve things daily that no human can achieve. They set out an image that their company is all about fairness, community and that they treat their staff well but nothing could be further from the truth. almost 3 years I've spent with this company and I'm at the end of my fuse with them. Also, if you're disabled in any way, expect discrimination and no chance to progress.
Pros
paid breaks, above minimum wage
Cons
No full time contracts, job pressure, mistreatment of disabled members of staff
An horrendous experience
FSO (Former Employee) –  Bideford, Devon19 October 2018
No support from colleagues or management from the moment I started. The funeral director was a bully but staff and management were scared of him so he did what he wanted. He had no respect for anyone and was arrogant and rude to everyone including families of the deceased. No training was provided and my manager wasn't interested even though my colleagues made it clear I wasn't wanted there. The staff had no respect for the job they were doing. I saw a lot that wasn't right but was told that I wasn't in a position to say anything. My colleagues ensured all the work was done by them to stop me having any hours and basically prevented me from learning anything so I would leave - I had to in the end. They are nasty people that shouldn't be working in this type of job. I feel sorry for any families that choose the Coop for their loved ones.
Pros
I left the job
Cons
No training, no hours, nasty colleagues, no support by management
Not the best
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex6 June 2018
Definitely not the best experience, not a bad place to work but could have had better management. Would like to have had more help day-to-day, salary good
Met some nice people at the worst time
Funeral Service Operative (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 August 2018
People on the front line are very professional and caring. Management on the other hand just want as much out of workers as possible this included forcing people to cover for sickness and vacancies with forty eight hours notice often threatening staff with disciplinary action and were not interested if you and your family had plans. The latest changes include cutting people's hours and rate of pay .
Pros
uniform
No work life balance
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Tayside5 November 2018
Work 39 hours per week being expected ti work upto 45 hours per week not getting paid for it due to being salaried you are constantly trying ti catch up on yourself due to being so understaffed and treading water against the depots and banging youf head againsta brick wall with the suppprt centres. No chance of progressing unless your prepared to work full time and cope with severe security breaches and difficult customers stealing etc by yourself.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Long hours and complete disorganisation.
Funeral Arranger leaving next week horrible company
Funeral Arranger (Current Employee) –  South London, Greater London2 November 2018
I’ve worked for co-op for nearly 3 years. I started full of enthusiasm and belief in the moral and ethical values - and I’m now leaving absolutely unable to stomach any more of their bullying/backstabbing management or their money grabbing profit focused ideals. The management have completely lost touch with reality, morale is on the floor and the dictates being issued are outrageous. Addressing funeral poverty by forcing families to pay £1000 to upgrade their choice of funeral if they want their love one carried into the service and not on a trolly 🤬. Handed in my notice and not one phone call to ask why or if we could talk about it! Someone has the energy to advertise my job double quick though! Training is a joke and arrangers are out in branch alone far too soon and not supported in role, and then vilified when mistakes are made. Honestly if you want to do this job - which is amazing and super rewarding - find another company to work for
Pros
Nice branches
Cons
Terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Co-op Group. Our community is ready to answer.