Co-op Group
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Co-op Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom3,595 reviews
Found 3,595 reviews matching the search
Overall a good company to work for
More induction training would be a benefit to both employee and employer. The company expected the driver to know all about the safe way to unload and load cages onto their vehicles.
Badly run
Not very good job that have unachievable targets. They look after there favourites. Its not family friendly as u have to work every weekend. The management bully there staff. If u had any sense dont work here
If face fits your okay
They quite happily let the older people do the donkey work whìle favoured staff do the the light and don't address staff behaviour problems at my store
Work life balance was a challenge at times . However, time flies due to fast pace.
I enjoyed my year with Co-op . I made some many changes to work culture and practices whilst I was there . Security was somewhat lacking . Long hours but due to fast pace time flew. Little vulnerable at times due to fewer colleagues . Great pension scheme and many courses you can complete whilst working.
Terrible Management. Disrespectful to deceased.
I worked for Funeralcare for a year. If you have any integrity, respect and intelligence you will seriously struggle working in this environment. It is every man for himself, colleagues will happily stab you in the back and throw you under the bus whilst smiling sweetly to your face. Need support from your manager?
Forget that. Deceased are treated with disrespect and again, when raised, nothing happens. Health and safety is non/existent and you’re left to get on with it. Think very hard about whether this is something you want to be complicit in.

completely flout the regulations despite obvious risks pointed out to them

health and safety e-learning
Pros
Working with families
Cons
Everything. Low pay, no support, back stabbing culture
There's good people that work there that deserve better.
A place to work that loves to push how ethical they are whilst paying lower than most other supermarkets and not accepting union recommended wage increases. Management can leave a lot to be desired but I understand that head office cuts hours back to the bone till the shops can barely stay open. Only this year have co-op finally started paying for full time guarding in the city centre, I've been spat at, threatened with syringes and knives and head office still didn't think full time security was necessary.

Most people's contracts are 16 hours long but you will work far more than that, which shows that whilst the co-op doesn't have zero hours contracts they would if they thought that they could get away with it. Expect your shift timings to be all over the place 5am starts and midnight finishes then back to 5am starts all within the same week. You'll never have two days off next to each other just one every now and then. The call out fee for checking that an alarm has gone off is £20, waking up at 3am when the alarm is triggered after a 12pm finish and walking to work is apparently worth £20.

Working for the co-op it is extremely clear that they couldn't care less about their employees financial wellbeing or physical safety and they constantly remind you that they're "ethical" until it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. That being said most of the lower level staff are great, there's great camaraderie in knowing that you all have a terrible job and you can laugh about it and curse head office openly as even the managers know working here is a bad joke.
*****
It is a good place to work. In Lonfon they really live coop values.
Management reluctant to stand up for you
As far as the ins and outs go, it's a normal job however with added stress as the management team would often leave you by yourself to do delivery as well as serve and complete ops on the shop floor.
In addition to this management is down right reluctant to punish bad behaviour or to stand up for you, there is in-house bullying and quarreling and when you are falsely accused of things you never did/said, they roll over on their bellies and do absolutely nothing to help you. So you must take the offer to join USDAW, they are the only ones who will even offer to help you. Otherwise you'll be forced to work with those people and everything is forgotten and you feel trampled on.
Under valued
I wouldn’t waste your time, you’ll feel under valued, and not supported by your management. Too much pressure is out on staff, and you don’t get paid enough for everything you do.
18 May 2020
We're sorry to hear that you do not feel supported by your store management team to perform your role to the best of your ability. If this is ever the case we encourage colleagues to speak to the HR department to seek advice on the matter at hand. Stay safe 😊
Horrendous
Treat you like slaves treat everyone different targets are unrealistic and during this pandemic zero social distancing it's absolutely horrendous working here good people appalling conditions
Pros
Cons
To many to list
18 May 2020
We are really sorry to hear that you experienced these problems. We encourage anyone who is experiencing this to please contact our HR department on 0330 606 1001 so we can help resolve any issues.
Don't believe the hype.
Coop like to promote themselves as a caring company, but when it comes to HR approach to colleague safety and wellbeing this couldn't be further from the truth. They have no compassion.
If you never have to deal with them, you'll love it. The instore teams are closely bonded groups, more often than not this includes store management. The problems lie in Angel Square.
Accommodating but undervalued
The coop tried hard to accommodate me by putting me in the right place for my skills. However I found the coop culture excluded my sort of character a bit as I am quiet. There was little verbal feedback given by management and I ended up feeling I was just really on my own. I found staff often didn’t talk to me or if they did it was to try and cover up for the fact that they weren’t including me. My experience was ok but I found it hard in the end and so I left after two years. This was a shame I feel. I went out of my way to be flexible with my work covering shifts etc but I felt , although valued I was not helped to settle. experiencwas
Fun workplace.
A good place to work. Well paid night shifts. Unique management.
Unfair
I had a part time contract but always worked over my hours. They always wanted more and more from us, which I did including on call.
I worked there 3 years. 1 unfortunate incident happened, that could happen to anyone. Equipment is rubbish & they sacked me!

P45 came out, not even a covering letter of thanks for my service. Management are
Pros
Money
Cons
Take from us
Productive and motivating
The Cooperative Food has a great ethic, all staff are paid equally and treated fairly. There was always opportunity's to pick up extra shifts and train further to better yourself. All staff were friendly and very inviting when i joined the team.
Glad you enjoyed working with us at the Co-op 👍

Please speak to the store management who will talk you through our great opportunities such as the BOOST scheme, which is available to our in-store colleagues. We have opportunities to all of our colleagues who wish to further their career within our various business areas. 😊
Toxic environment
If you wanted to work for a comapny that don't value you or appreciate the hard work you do and get paid next to nothing and get very poor training then coop is for you
brilliant place to work for
i have worked for co op and find it very satisfing and easy to understand during my time i lerned tills how to pay bills phone creddit and dealing with people politley
7 May 2020
Couldn't care less!
No respect for their staff, no chance of progression because they work on minimal staff which isnt enough, nepotism is rife! Basically they're skint!!
Pros
Good wage
Cons
They just don't care about you
Loved the Job
Loved the job itself but to the company I was just a number and so were the clients.
More could be done to ensure the high standard promised to clients were delivered.
Disappointed
The place that I was working was near lakeside and I'm really disappointed most of the staff is from Poland even the management, and they don't care about others , I started thru agency and this agency is corrupted ppl with contracts and the polish ppl don't work at all they just chilling and talking all day and the management push the others to work faster with performance based system , and this system is easy to manipulate by the person who is on the desk, so all the time polish ppl have nice performance without work and the others don't get the performance or barely get it, and the other thing is that nobody work by the duly and safety measures.
7 May 2020
We are really sorry to hear that you experienced these problems. We encourage anyone who is experiencing this to please contact our HR department on 0330 606 1001 so we can help.
Treat you badly and have no respect
Managers mistreat you for the most part and have no respect for what you might have to deal with at home. Completely abuse the part time situation of almost all the staff members
27 April 2020
I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I would encourage you to talk openly with your manager about this if you feel comfortable and if you feel unable to do so please contact your HR department on 0330 606 1001