Co-op Childcare
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Co-op Childcare:

Co-op Childcare Employee Reviews

I feel very supported in my nursery and have recently started virtually attending the managers' meetings too. You can tell from these meetings all the work that is carried out higher up. In my nursery, I feel part of a team and know that I have a say. I love working with the children and have found the transition from senior practitioner to Room Manager a little tricky at times, but my manager has helped me to work on this.
Pros
Supportive team and working with children the
Cons
Paperwork (all jobs have this though)
25 September 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team. Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
Coop childcare is a nice place to be with a family feel for practitioners, but there is no care and attention for managers. Managers are expected to do everything and consistently go over and beyond. Area managers off load their work and stress onto the managers, which makes the job harder. No support for managers who are struggling apart from more jobs to do. No consideration for managers feelings and we are expected to deal with change consistently, whether it is using new technology or learning a new way of working. Enjoyable part of the job is the kind staff and kind parents. Diverse workplace. Awful maternity pay and benefits.
Pros
vouchers
Cons
low salary according to qualification, too much paperwork, too many changes at once
I have worked for the company for 10 years. I have worked my way up to manager and have learnt and developed along the way. Always parts of the business that you can develop to/ learn through in house free training. Lots of benefits Within the company and the Coop is always looking at ways to support, develop and look after there staff.
Pros
Great benefits, support from head office and lovely company to work for
24 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team.Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review!
The staff at here are a pleasure to work with, they know how to support one another and tackle problems as a team. The hardest part of the job is not having enough resources to provide fun and exciting activities, when we try to utilise the resources we have, risk assessments take up too much time. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the little children, they make your day.
Pros
Salary, benefits, support
Cons
Working saturdays, paper work, risk assessments, long hours
24 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team.We understand that paperwork can be time consuming and we hope that by moving onto paperless planning through i-connect has helped alleviate some of this demand for our practitioners. However, we would always love to hear your feedback on ways that we can approve.
The children are the best part of the job, the staff genuinely care and help them to progress. Pride is taken in making rooms an inviting environment and activities are set up with the children at the heart of everything. I have only been with the company for 6 months and I feel very much welcomed,
Pros
Good pay
24 August 2020
I have worked at Bristol nursery for 5 years now and i love it. The staff are amazing and i feel really valued and listened to. I love how the key focus is the children and how best to help them get the best out of nursery. The management team is brilliant, so understanding, helpful and overall make you feel at ease when asking for support or help. All the staff are happy and positive and create such a great place for the children to come to. I now send my son to the nursery and am so happy with the care and attention he gets while at nursery, it is outstanding and the 30% discount makes it even better.
Pros
Good pay, Good work progression available!
Cons
Long hours is the only downfall.
24 August 2020
I have worked for Co-operative Childcare since 2010 it was previously run by First steps Nursery There have been changes within the company which was to be expected but the level of care the children receive from the staff here is second to none. All the staff genuinely care for the children and make it a safe and happy environment to be in. The Co operative Childcare company is a great place to work and i would recommend it as a work place.
Pros
High wage, Progression and a Happy place
24 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team. We pride ourselves on offering great development programmes to our staff.Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review!
I have worked for the coop over 2 years now and I had to support and opportunity to move from a practitioner to a room manager. 2 years in and I am working towards further promotion.
Pros
Great benefits. Good pay, share of the profits in vouchers. Regular reviews and support towards promotions.
7 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team. We pride ourselves on offering great development programmes to our staffThank you for taking the time to write a review!
I don't even know where to begin. What a great place and company to work for. They whole company is very supportive and a great team to work with. You can work your way up within the company lots of opportunities being a large company. Being a Deputy for the first time i have learnt so much being with the Cooperative they have their own in house training and also put you on other training to help support you and your role. The most enjoyable thing about working at Watford South nursery is building a great relationship with staff, children and parents everyone is lovely.
Pros
The Team
Cons
Far from my home, wish they had one nearer :)
7 August 2020
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Co-op Childcare?
Staff are kind and friendly and ultimately focus on the children they care for. Although long hours the benefits and opportunities are great. The support shown by management and collegues is great. Wellbeing is of up most inportance
Pros
Hour Long lunch
7 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team.Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
I work at Maida Vale, and this is by far the best job I've had so for. Not only is the management team superb, the staff are amazing. Going to work for me, is like going to my family. Everyone gets along. Of course we have our little tiffs, but it is always dealt with professionally. We get treats from our Manager sometimes, and she is so much more than a manager. Her ability to add a personal touch to her role, makes her an exceptional manager. Staff get together to go out for meals. The atmosphere at Maida Vale is fantastic.
Pros
Time flexibility, shift work, constant self development, getting a membership card, getting vouchers to shop, lots of training opportunities
Cons
Pay is not all that even if you have a degree, not enough annual leave
7 August 2020
I've been working at Coop Childcare for 6 years. I started working as a Senior Practitioner and have worked my way up to Third in charge. I have been really supported in my career development by my Manager and the brilliant learning development team and the amazing training which is available for everyone. I would definitely recommend anyone to come and work here
Pros
The team
6 July 2020
Love my job and the company! Things are well communicated from head office through the systems, I look forward to work to see the children and colleges
6 July 2020
I am a Room Manager at my setting, and although it can be stressful at times (which job isn't?) I have a fantastic team who are always there to support me. Having a great team really lessens the load. We have become a family at our setting, always looking out for each other. Our nursery has come a long way with our fantastic management team leading the way. Definitely recommend! 👍🏽
Pros
Great team, lovely rooms, very friendly.
6 July 2020
I started work working for the society 10 years ago in food retail. Since then I transferred to childcare after completing my early years degree and I progressed from a practitioner all the way to a manager. There are plenty of training opportunities and support within the company to help you progress and develop your career and I can honestly say I love my job
Pros
Benefits and work culture
6 July 2020
Apply, Apply, Apply! Wonderful working environment with a supportive team. Training on hand whenever you need it and guidance from a great head office team. Your voice as an employee is truly heard and everyone can make a difference. Everyone is treated equally and there is a strong openness culture within the company. Great company to work for, could not rate it high enough!
Pros
Strong positive core values, support and guidance at hand continuously. Happy welcoming working environment.
Cons
Can’t think of any!
6 July 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review!
Working here wasn’t a pleasant experience. The management were lazy, unsupportive and treated staff very unfairly. Career advancement opportunities were given to people the manager was friendly with and had no relevance to who was more qualified and experienced for the post. Staff were really unkind behind each other’s backs but lovely to their faces. The management were the worst culprits with regards to this behaviour. I experienced bullying in the setting which, when reported to the management, was totally ignored and brushed under the table so my time working there was terrible. Supervisions and appraisals were just an opportunity for management to moan at you if you had the nerve to actually answer questions truthfully or try and discuss problems you were having. The company has no interest in employees well-being. Staff were constantly expected to do unpaid overtime that was often not even logged as toil. They were constantly expected to start before their shift and then slagged off if they weren’t available to do so. It was always the same people who had to work overtime, the staff the management were friends with rarely had to do overtime. Pay was poor, fortunately I have moved to a much better paid childcare job elsewhere. The resources and equipment available for the children were terrible. Everything looked tatty and old with parents frequently pointing this out to us. The nursery was unloved and unwelcoming. The garden was also terrible, there were patches of grass missing from areas, broken fences and broken resources. I did not feel the environment was - more...
Cons
Long hours, no support, poor resources, low pay, no appreciation, terrible management team
6 July 2020
We are deeply sorry for the experience you have received. We highly encourage our colleagues to get in touch with us at info@ccc.coop or 0800 954 0669 with any concerns they may have.
I've been working for Co-op Childcare for almost a year now and I can honestly say I love my job and the people I work with everyday. Co-op Childcare provides the best possible care for children and offers exciting development opportunities for all colleagues. There is a team culture of 'winning together' and hard work never goes unnoticed. It is so rewarding to work for a business that is committed to supporting local good causes chosen by our members, through grants, volunteering and fundraising activities. The pay at all levels is really competitive and you also get lots of other benefits being under the umbrella of The Midcounties Co-operative. So you can expect discounts off your food shopping, holidays, medical prescriptions and much more!
6 July 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so grateful to have such fantastic practitioners in our team. You, and the children you care for, will put the local community at the heart of everything, where we can raise money for some great causes you are passionate about.Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
I have been with Coop Childcare for 6 months now so onboarded shortly before COVID hit. My induction was thorough, i felt welcomed and not just part of my nursery team but part of something so much bigger where i know i can make a difference
Pros
Wide range of benefits that you can't get anywhere else
6 July 2020
After working at another nursery chain for over 6years to come to a company that really cares for their staff is amazing. I have been able to work up the ladder in my nursery and have been provided amazing training opportunities such as my level 3 in leadership and management. It’s lovely to have a team that supports growth in their employees and are willing to provide the relevant training to support you.
Pros
Provide training and support further career development, mental health and well being is a primary focus and always showing appreciation to the employees.
Started in November 2016 as Room leader and I am now a deputy nursery manager, I have been supported and encourage all through my time at coop to push myself and go for it, I have learnt things that I would I have never learnt in another nursery and for that I am extremely grateful