Clintons Employee Reviews

productive
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire6 December 2018
a typical day at work is steady and it also is very hard working , thee manager is very lovely and understanding and she is also very help full with everything, they work place is very good and you get to help a lot of new customers and you also get to help them every day.The most enjoable part of the job is that you have a good team and hard workers and also the manager is amazing.
Pros
Good team, hard working.
Cons
i can't say there is any cons
Loved it here.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge19 November 2018
Clintons was my First Job!
It was such a family place everyone pulled together.
Helped each other.
Manager was so friendly and helped any way she could.
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester6 November 2018
fun place to work but management useless. i got called in on my day off for no reason at all and shoved in the stock room for my whole shift. but over all fun place
please avoid
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire5 November 2018
I've been a supervisor for a few years now, moved up from sales assistant. Only 2% paid more that a sales assistant yet expected to know everything a manager does and run the place when they are unavailable, there are no assistant managers so you are essentially that. On a 16 hour contract yet expected to be able to double your hours, although I have no idea where these hours come from as you are expected to run a shop of large size on very basic hours. Targets are unrealistic, you dread the morning emails and conference calls from the DMs as it's all negative and no positive even when you do well. Work load is huge, you are expected to turn the shop around from everyday to seasonal in just a few days. When I first started discount was a good insentive, 40% off including Yankee and 20% off any sale item, it's now 40% excluding Yankee (20%) and 20% off but only if the sale item is less than 50%. The buyers for the company don't seem to know what they are doing, if you don't sell certain things you some how end up with three times as much in a delivery, but you can't put it in the stock room so it ends up been shoved into the shop floor. Customer service is pretty much none existent, they tell you to have a 2 hour no tasking zone to focus on the customers but this is laughable as you have no much to do you can't stop for 2 hours, you tell the DM your doing it because you'll get a verbal backlassing if not. Breaks for manager and supervisor, may as well not have one, only way to get things done is to sacrifice your lunch hour.
Pros
the staff
Cons
everything
Fun environment
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton17 October 2018
The workplace culture was really relaxed but at the same time loads of work was done with the help of the whole team. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the business and the hardest part was to remain patient while reloading card shelves.
Pros
was never boring, always something to laugh about
Cons
small tasks were really time consuming
Team is incredible, its higher up that there is an issue
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whiteley10 October 2018
A fast paced, high workload job is made more enjoyable from the friendly team environment. The only issues that came up in the job was when the line managers got involved and attempted to exert their authority in a rude way.
Enjoyable
Christmas staff (Former Employee) –  Reigate22 September 2018
Stocking cards doing window displays helping all customers get what they need keeping happy friendly and creating a relationship with the locals and everyday card buyer's
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
Not much
Don’t do it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire20 September 2018
I had a few hours training at another store . Was promised a certain amount of hours and got a small amount of hours . There’s always paper work , your expected to just know things. You then have a 3 month probation review where they slate you to the point where you dis value yourself . Iv never been spoken to like that way in my life ! Disrespectful and rude
Pros
Customers
Cons
Staff, management
Lots of overtime but bad management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 September 2018
The job itself wasn't that bad but the bad lack of management and labour turnover was very high, in the space of 6 months over 6 staff left and 5 new joined. Good things about it is that you can be given a lot of overtime due to low numbers of staff and other staff are very friendly. But it was very low pay and was just the standard minimum wage which was very low.
Good for part time.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex9 September 2018
This was my first job, and it helped prepare me for future jobs. I learnt many skills in customer service and sales, and other skills I can easily apply to other retail jobs. However, some members of staff later in my time there, were making my work days unenjoyable. It's likely those people are no longer there, but it was due to the management that I left. I couldn't force a polite smile to people speaking down to me any more.

However, in the months prior to that, it was a lovely job with lovely people, and good pay.
Fun and something new everyday
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 August 2018
i started out as a sales assistant with the company but in a short space of time i became a supervisor. If you show you are willing to work hard and have a passion for the company you can easily progresses.
Awful place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrogate7 August 2018
Worst job I ever had. Management and area management were completely unapproachable and unprofessional. Worked long hours and was never paid correctly. When the change over of cards happens was there till 2am!!! Expected to do same job as manager and assistant manager for no extra money. Manager was a joke and more interested in being rude about her staff and stalking them on Facebook than running a successful shop. Area management set unrealistic targets then get rude and aggressive when they are not met!
Pros
None!
Cons
Never paid properly. Very poor management
nice seasonal job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading10 July 2018
Here i gained a lot of customer service skills as well as back of house organisation skills. spent a lot of time talking to head office ordering new stock and other admin duties.
Brilliant place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch10 July 2018
Fantastic retail job, great training and learn as you go along. Brilliant staff with tremendous amount of support. Great part time job .................
Pros
Town location
Cons
Short breaks and lunches
Avoid
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 July 2018
Expectations are unrealistic , over worked under appreciated. Never get a thank you,expected to drop everything for the company. No life once you start at Clinton’s. no progression chances.
Never enough hours in the day to realistically manage your store. Expected to do excessive hours.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, never appreciated
Last minute shifts
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury23 June 2018
My experience at Clinton was overall OK, I enjoyed the customers and my colleagues, however as a mum of two young children I found it hard to balance child care with work as you receive your shift a few days before you are supposed to be in with very little flexibility to change shifts with others.
Friendly workplace
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City19 June 2018
Absolutely loved working at Clintons. Fast-paced during seasonal holidays, and brilliant staff. All staff members are polite and helpful. Definitely the best and most-upmarket card and gift shop to be working at.
No life except clintons
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cumbria27 April 2018
Worsed company to work for...unless you can live and breath clintons ..dont bother applying ..worked as a supervisor..long hours..underpaid...forget having a family/social life..unapproachable management team with unrealistic expectations to kpis and shop moves etc.
Pros
There really isnt any
Cons
All aspects of the job.
less about the customers more about getting things out on the shop floor
Bench Assistant Manger (Current Employee) –  Thame, Oxfordshire22 April 2018
The room for growth in this company is great, however, I did not feel that the workload and deadlines given for each task were not realistic or manageable. With a company with a high turnover of staff, keep ahead of everything task become very difficult.

with this company, it is less about the interaction with your customers and more about your daily duties which I didn't like i enjoy interacting with my customers
Worst company ive ever worked for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon8 April 2018
- micromanaged
- culture of blame, emotional abuse, bullying, gossiping and intimidation
-expected to drop everything for the company at short notice
Pros
Other team members and discount
Cons
Come out an angry, nervous wreck whos always mistreated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clintons. Our community is ready to answer.