Clarks

Clarks Employee Reviews

United Kingdom946 reviews
Hard work but fun
I worked for clarks for some 20 years if you want to advance you have every opportunity a good company to work for
A big bonus is the shoe discountgetting free pairs to work in. .
Pros
Chance of advancing career
Cons
Hard work can be long hours
fast paced, stressful, but fun
Management were fairly reasonable. They had really high standards, and compared employees against each other, however we were given incentives, and lots of advice and constant training. You get a brief every morning, which is really great in motivating employees for the day ahead. And you get free shoes!
good company to work for with good staff discount
good company to work for and nice atmosphere , but you have to meet daily targets , you get good staff discounts was 30% off any shoes including sale, it was only a small shop i worked in though.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
weekend working
Shocking company
The company is shocking, got two days training as assistant manager then got told to open shop, got spoken & treated like rubbish, I would stay away, helped prep for sales and didn’t even get paid the money for it, because the company wasn’t giving the hours out, but wanted us to do them a favour!
Enjoyable place to work
I enjoyed working at Clarks and found it fun to interact one-on-one with customers. Keeping track of selling shoecare motivated me to become a better sales assistant and now feel I have a better understanding of customer service.
Do not work here
This was the first job I had and so unfortunately let a lot of toxic behaviour slide because I didn’t know any better. After every shift they take you to one side and do a ‘review’ of how you performed but basically told you how poorly you worked. This would give me and other team mates a lot of anxiety and panic attacks before working - I’d never had panic attacks before working here. They would shout at you and embarrass you in front of everyone and accuse people of stealing (they later wouldn’t apologise). Very toxic management and myself and many friends that have worked there have all agreed this was the worst job we did.
A challenging but rewarding company.
A great company for progression. A fast paced and challenging environment. Goals can be unrealistic and difficult to achieve. Rewards if goal are met are good!
Pretty good
Relatively competitive, varies between very quiet and chaotically busy depending on time of year, location and store. 4 pairs of free shoes a year and 33% off staff discount. Hires people of all ages and pay is fair. Flexibility is appreciated as weekly schedule varies depending on contract
Typical day at work
Working for Clarks has a lot of benefits - they're very focussed on individual training and progression! However it can be very stressful, and I find myself not having a very well balanced work life and home life.
Great work Place
Good work environment, always something to do. Daily and weekly sales target, incentives when reaching targets (sweets, gifts, vouchers, etc)
Love working with clients and helping kids find their perfect shoe
productive and fun workplace
I enjoy being part of the Clarks team. A typical day at work is lively, you are never bored there is always something to be done. You learn a range of skills from stock work to customer service.
Great friendly
Lovely place to work, great experience if you want to begin working in sales. The team made me feel very welcome and the management was well structured.
A good place to work
Each day can bring new challenges, from working with all people from all walks of life. I can be responsible for opening the shop for its days business to cleaning, ordering and generally dealing peoples shoe problems.
Very fun, friendly and fast paced
My time at clarks was brilliant. There are loads of different departments to work in on the shop floor. Constantly dealing with different customers so need good customer service skills. Training is really well organised, lots you need to learn but comes quick with good practice and management are really supportive with this. They do team events and team competitions to help with sales, not necessary to take part in but always fun to win the prize. Team events such as meals and bowling.

Hardest part is back to school, it is non stop chaos and the demand is really really high so you will be worn out at the end of the day and some customers can be difficult when the shop is full and stock is low. However they do give you 'energy boosters' such as sweets and chocolate to keep the energy up during back to school. They will ask you to do a lot more shifts during this period
Pros
Great team, great work ethic, loads of training
Cons
Holidays are just given to you and you have to ask colleagues to swap with you
Clarks
Clarks was a stressful job in the sense of management that worked there. They had no sense of community and the management team put everything on the Sales Team Member while they sat in the office or went on smoke breaks.
Clarks is a great job to have
I used to work for . They are a good company to work for . I was made redundant because of mothercare shutting down. You get free shoes and boots e.g.
Competitive and fast paced with good benefits
Typically, Clarks is like your regular retail store. You clean, you sell, you provide an experience and a service to your customers. Can be particularly competitive, but can be made fun thanks to the charming management and staff. With starting there as a young 18 year old, I've grown up with the place, and I've come to learn a lot from it - the people passing through. The weekends can be busy and stressful but the rewards and benefits from the job are nice. My only downside is the low hours as they only tend to hire people part time and only keep management to full Tim time
nice people
great first job, easy to work with people there
flexible so that you can do the shifts that you prefer, except in the summer holidays as it is busy and you're not allowed to book holiday, no great if you're in college as its the only time you really have off
Pros
free work shoes
Cons
short shifts
It was mainly slow paced whilst I was there, it really depends on the day wether it would be slow paced or fast paced. The people there were nice to work with
Pros
Kind Co-Workers
Cons
May get boring
Info
Sometimes a long and stressful day but sometimes the days went quick. The times wasn't scheduled, need an actual timetabls of shift hour from start to finish.
Learning experience
Under the original manager(ess) the store was strict but fair, with room for growth. A good place to work, unfortunately the manager had to take a few months off. This is when the store became a nightmare, we were often left without management. Stand in management was often a fellow colleague or whoever happened to show up for work ( by this time people were often failing to show). Understaffed, over worked, unappreciated, physically and sexually assaulted on the Shop floor from customers ( management failed to take such complaints seriously). My colleagues were used as scapegoats for a gradually failing store. Expected to run up to 5 flights of stairs in a heatwave with no air conditioning upstairs. No fans as they would overheat. Forced to work in a filthy cellar that's stinks of rodents and mould, having to literally scrub mould off children's shoes. The saving grace to the store was my fellow colleagues.