Clarks Employee Reviews

Found 713 reviews matching the search See all 1,038 reviews
Poor company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London14 January 2019
Initially clarks was a good company to work for however when the new ceo took over it went downhill. Products prices went up , threats of being sacked for not making customers spend more money went up and lots of people lost there jobs ust before christmas 2016 due to cutbacks whilst the ceo authorised a fully paid weekend for all store managers at a hotel food and drinks included all expenses paid even travel expenses . The company has gone downhill and staff are treated badly
Cons
No respect from management, no bonuses, unreachable targets
A good start in retail
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK29 November 2018
Clarks allows individuals to work on their communication and interpersonal skills in regards to dealing with the public. This ensures the individual can work on building good relationships with not only the public, but also the individuals who they were working with - another great example of a "family"-like environment.
Pros
Discount, Free Work Shoes etc.
Cons
Not always busy but can get very busy, especially during sales
Fun place to work and great benefits
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 October 2018
I have been working at Clarks for 3 years and I have learned that on a typical day there will always be different challenges for you to get involved, get busy and learn something new. In fact I have learned many helpful life skills such as money management skills, team leading skills and being resilience. My workplace culture is very friendly, there is always interactions with all workers as there is always a Christmas dinner held by the company. The hardest part of my job would be dealing with difficult customers as some do not like to obey by rules.However the most enjoyable part of my job is being able learn something new everyday.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
not enough hours
Rewarding and fun
Sales Assistant and Trained Fitter (Former Employee) –  Hornsea15 January 2019
Clarks is a great place to work if you're willing to work hard. Although the job can become quite intense at times, particularly in the summer months due to the large amount of children who frequent the shop, it is always rewarding when you manage to provide a good service to the customers and provide them with the perfect product for them.
Worst Job, Demanding, Bad management
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  birmingham fort7 October 2018
Blatant favouritism, name calling from the management eg. minions, terrible organisation.
A typical day at work meant I was the only cashier and had to serve almost everyone, it was only when customers started complaining someone would come to help. All the management would do is go outside smoke, smoke, smoke then when they came back and nothing was done properly they would take all there anger out on all of the workers.
Honestly, it's really not worth working here.
Clarks Meadowhall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire3 October 2018
Working for Clarks was one of the best jobs I could ever wish for, the management at my local store were very professional but had a fun side to them which made working there pleasant. The staff have extremely similar personalities excluding the age differences. The pay is great for students and the hours can be based around your education which I found really good when I was at college.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible Hours, Friendly Staff, Rewards and prizes to win
Cons
Store is open quite late towards Christmas
An enjoyable place to work
Trained kids fitter (Current Employee) –  Yeovil17 September 2018
I am a trained kids fitter, so a typical day involved being concentrated in the kids department and assisting parents and their children- such as measuring childrens feet, checking the fit of shoes and advising parents on what style is most suitable/provides the best fit. The management and fellow coworkers are all friendly, making working there even more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was the back to school period, our peak period which got very busy at times.
Pros
Workers benefits through OurWorld
Cons
Fixed 30minute break length
friendly and supportive work enviroment
Shoe fitter/Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham12 September 2018
Within the workplace, there was always support of fellow colleagues, especially when challenges were thrown our way. At certain periods of the year there was a high influx of customers which presented more challenges due to larger families with a wide variety of children with different requirements to fulfil. Along with families, we also get elderly customers who struggle with getting the right shoes so I sometimes have to ask for advice on what to recommend.
Overall the working environment was always positive with a productive manor.
Pros
flexible hours
Productivee
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London16 September 2018
we went and start of by making sure the shop floor is Clean and presentable for the customers. I learnt to know the product and the company and how to deal with different parents and how to manage my time. the hardest part of the job is leaving because we would have to ensure the shop floor is neat and our manager is strict and she looks at very little things and ensures its done.
Pros
1 hour break
Cons
don't get paid for break
It's ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 October 2018
It's a good company to start with lots of benefits! However manager was awful to work with hopefully doesn't work there any more! Rude and likes to embarrass staff on the shop floor! Unprofessional!

Other member of the team are very good and happy to help. However cut hours without asking or talking to myself prior happened with no warning!
Pros
I'm the centre of town
Cons
Unprofessional
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire1 September 2018
The staff are wonderful, Pay is great and it’s a great place to work.
Typical day for a Cashier is a lot of standing at the till serving and cleaning the store. Restocking shelves and putting out shoes. I leant now to work effectively and fast. I worked closely next to team members and learnt to work independently.
Management is great, very effective and fair.
Everyone is friendly and I can’t wait to go back next year.
Hardest part of the job is finding missing shoes around the store and being left downstairs on your own when you have a queue and you have to do shoe checks too
Pros
Great pay, 30 mins fixed lunch
Cons
Not payed for lunch break, hot in summer and back to school
Fun work place.
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire, UK15 December 2018
I enjoyed my work experience there as all the staff made it easy to settle in quickly and get to work.

A typical day would start by greeting all the staff. They would then make it clear what my tasks were and how to complete them. I was also given a mentor to help me stay on the straight and narrow.
Good pay, straightforward job but terrible hours & management
Sales Assistant/Fitter/Measurer (Former Employee) –  Cheshire27 September 2018
I was employed at a Clarks Outlet earlier this year and was trained as a kids fitter and measurer. The pay is decent and is the same for everyone regardless of age which I appreciate. A typical day included fitting shoes, measuring feet and generally keeping the kids area clean and tidy.
The majority of the people there were absolutely lovely and I learned to how to multitask as well as improving my customer service skills.
However, the hours weren't great, I was only doing 4 hours a week which was a lot less than I'd hoped for.
Management was terrible and the managers and team leaders were mostly nasty, unprofessional and rude. The worst part was the managers who especially targeted the younger workers.
Pros
Straightforward job, decent pay
Cons
Not enough hours, rude & terrible management
A good introduction to part time work life.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wimborne, Dorset30 August 2018
I joined clarks when I began studying at college as a Saturday job, this soon progressed into a part time postion. I learnt a lot of skills at clarks and was grateful for the introduction it gave me to working life. My colleges were friendly and helpful. I was given specialised training which I enjoyed. Overall Clarks is a good stable company to work either part or full time for.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter1 October 2018
Working at Clarks was fun and rewarding as I learnt a lot of new skills in the role I was in and also made a lot of friends which made it a very enjoyable place to work. The workplace culture was good for the most part, however I did experience some sexism and rudeness from male members of staff, particularly management.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa14 August 2018
I have been working for the Clarks establishment for that of three years now, nearly edging onto four. I have watched myself grow more confidence, knowledge and skills throughout this year, more than i have of friends who don't work. I have watched shy people turn into complete business people, working for this establishment has really showed me that you can build a family of work friends and that working from a young age at a place which has such a fast pace, is guaranteed to benefit you in the long run.
Pros
colleagues, friends, shoes
Cons
some customers can be rude
Demoralising place to work
sales (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire29 December 2018
I worked at the Clarks Fosse store and I did not have a very nice time. The targets are very high and you were still expected to meet these targets when the store is quiet. It does not offer a good work/life balance, weekends must be booked as holiday and over Christmas one year I was put on the rota for late Christmas eve, all day boxing day, new years eve and all day new years day.

The worst part about working here was the managers, during my first few months I felt like I was being picked on and bullied. On one occasion I was shouted at quite aggressively in front of other staff members regarding a holiday. I had booked it prior to working here and I informed them of it at the interview (this was noted at the time) and yet 3 months later she refused to give me the holiday I had already booked.

I did however get on with other members of staff here and I believe they were really good at their jobs.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
poor management and work/life balance
Enjoyable and Challenging
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow13 August 2018
I provided exceptional customer service. My key duties included fitting and measuring customers, suggesting products, answering questions, and employing suggestive selling techniques. I possessed an understanding of merchandise as well as exceeding targets.
I used ipads to communicate whilst either in the stock room or shop floor, I regularly served 2 to 4 customers at the one time.
Pros
Breaks
Good environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London8 August 2018
A typical day at work will include serving customers, making sure the shop floor is tidy and that the customer leaves with a happy smile. I learnt a lot about how a business runs and the retail scene in general.

Depending on the store, management can either be with you or work against you. In my experience, the management has been good to me.

Workplace culture is dependant on the manager, all the managers I have had encouraged good workplace culture, almost like a family.

KPI's are very demanding.

The people you meet and the relationships you form with other staff members.
Pros
Uniform Shoes
Good place to work for experience
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham11 October 2018
A typical day at work is measuring children’s feet and to find them the right shoes. I learned how to work in a busy environment. The worst part of the job is the hours you get given it’s either between 8-12 hours a week.
Pros
Safe and easy environment to work in
Cons
Low hours so never have any money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarks. Our community is ready to answer.