Clarks Employee Reviews

Found 697 reviews matching the search See all 1,011 reviews
Awful, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon5 November 2018
Managers are nasty and belittling,
Make you feel horrible about doing your job and make you not want to attend.
Nice staff, management team are horrible.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex5 November 2018
clarks is a great place to work, sales assistants are treated fairly all earning the same age no matter the age. very flexible with shifts and holiday. Management is always there to listen
Hardwork
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 October 2018
As a business I enjoy the heritage, ethics and standards of Clarks. It is a well organised company. However, as an employee I felt overworked and underappreciated.
CUSTOMER ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Trafford27 October 2018
I work here on a part-time basis. It can very busy so you have to be very active, but all the staff are nice and friendly and it's a fun environment to be in.
Great Store, Great team but the company vibe is bad.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Caterham, Surrey23 October 2018
I walked into this role with an open mind, I had previously been a supervisor before but not to this sort of scale. Initially I enjoyed learning about Clarks ways and getting to know the team and was given lots of training resources and lots of guidance. My team in store were great! we bonded really quickly and we worked really well together!

A typical day would be as you expect it to be - opening the store, setting daily/weekly targets, filling up stock on the shop floor, serving customers, hourly reports on sales figures, deliveries, completing weekly tasks, cleaning the store, banking cash, closing the store and sending daily reports to management. Some days you would have to stay for nearly an hour or more after your shift/store closure to get jobs done. (We were understaffed so this backlashed onto management - no thank you's for staying most of the time)

However I quickly started to feel overwhelmed with how much I was being expected to learn in a very short space of time as some of the areas that have to be covered are complex and require months to perfect (IMO) and all staff are expected to learn it in just 4 weeks as well as master sales and customer service. I witnessed and heard a few things from higher management that immediately had alarm bells ringing in my head. I quickly learnt that if your face didn't fit the frame - you were forced out and it would be left to store management to dismiss staff even if you had tried to reason with higher management to let staff members stay. (when you love your team - this is horrendous to have to do!)

The job isn't
  more... flexible for full time members of staff. I had no Work-life balance.. working here took over my life completely and made me miserable. I didn't like the constant pressure from higher management - they would visit once or several times every week (this is very unusual in the company) and it had a knock on effect with my team members too - they started to become very unhappy at work and were leaving the company soon after starting.

The worst job I've ever had in my opinion - so unless you like to feel pressured by higher management, have no work - life balance, like being understaffed and don't mind having a very high staff turn over then I wouldn't recommend working in this particular franchise.

(I've heard that retail clarks is a lot nicer to work for..)
Pros
Lots of learning resources, 4 pairs of shoes per year, 33% Discount, incentives.
Cons
Not Flexible enough for full time members, bad management (Higher than store), A lot of pressure.
Temp Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 October 2018
Was part of the team during the winter season, was dealing of rushes of people that was on half term and preparing for Christmas, very safe environment.
The perfect retail job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant14 October 2018
The moment you join the team you are part of a project that you understand is just as much movement based as it is business. You find yourself having to prove yourself constantly to the team, but that has its benefits as it does negatives.
Productive and positive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Isle of Man13 October 2018
I was pushed out of my comfort zone which had a positive impact on me. The management were great and kept us busy throughout the day. Customers and staff are all great.
Good place to work for experience
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham11 October 2018
A typical day at work is measuring children’s feet and to find them the right shoes. I learned how to work in a busy environment. The worst part of the job is the hours you get given it’s either between 8-12 hours a week.
Pros
Safe and easy environment to work in
Cons
Low hours so never have any money
enjoyable place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester8 October 2018
I really enjoyed the friendly environment in store, the staff made me feel warm and welcomed. The manager was approachable and I was able to ask any questions.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
it was difficult to work the till at first

Want to know more about Clarks?

Ask a question
productive and fun
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2018
Kept on your toes but still enjoyable.

Management are very understanding.

Hardest part is when a there is a busy rush during a sale.

Most enjoyable part is communicating with colleages.
Worst Job, Demanding, Bad management
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  birmingham fort7 October 2018
Blatant favouritism, name calling from the management eg. minions, terrible organisation.
A typical day at work meant I was the only cashier and had to serve almost everyone, it was only when customers started complaining someone would come to help. All the management would do is go outside smoke, smoke, smoke then when they came back and nothing was done properly they would take all there anger out on all of the workers.
Honestly, it's really not worth working here.
Clarks Meadowhall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire3 October 2018
Working for Clarks was one of the best jobs I could ever wish for, the management at my local store were very professional but had a fun side to them which made working there pleasant. The staff have extremely similar personalities excluding the age differences. The pay is great for students and the hours can be based around your education which I found really good when I was at college.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible Hours, Friendly Staff, Rewards and prizes to win
Cons
Store is open quite late towards Christmas
It's ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 October 2018
It's a good company to start with lots of benefits! However manager was awful to work with hopefully doesn't work there any more! Rude and likes to embarrass staff on the shop floor! Unprofessional!

Other member of the team are very good and happy to help. However cut hours without asking or talking to myself prior happened with no warning!
Pros
I'm the centre of town
Cons
Unprofessional
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter1 October 2018
Working at Clarks was fun and rewarding as I learnt a lot of new skills in the role I was in and also made a lot of friends which made it a very enjoyable place to work. The workplace culture was good for the most part, however I did experience some sexism and rudeness from male members of staff, particularly management.
great place to work in when I did workexperience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2018
The atmosphere the management created was so welcoming. It felt like home already from the first day. They taught me all the basics of what it is to be a sales assistant. And it helped me progress in securing another great job afterwards.
Fun workplace with lovely colleagues
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lymington29 September 2018
Clark’s was a very decent job and fun but I have to leave because it was very hard to get to and back as I worked awkward hours and I do not drive yet
Pros
Nice setting
Cons
Awkward hours
great benefits
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Southwest28 September 2018
clarks has a great reward programme and pension/ holiday entitlement

tough working in store with minimal staffing it can be challenging.

a good company to work for with good ethics
benefits
Good pay, straightforward job but terrible hours & management
Sales Assistant/Fitter/Measurer (Former Employee) –  Cheshire27 September 2018
I was employed at a Clarks Outlet earlier this year and was trained as a kids fitter and measurer. The pay is decent and is the same for everyone regardless of age which I appreciate. A typical day included fitting shoes, measuring feet and generally keeping the kids area clean and tidy.
The majority of the people there were absolutely lovely and I learned to how to multitask as well as improving my customer service skills.
However, the hours weren't great, I was only doing 4 hours a week which was a lot less than I'd hoped for.
Management was terrible and the managers and team leaders were mostly nasty, unprofessional and rude. The worst part was the managers who especially targeted the younger workers.
Pros
Straightforward job, decent pay
Cons
Not enough hours, rude & terrible management
productive and fun
Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 September 2018
working at clarks was a good lace, i had a very great time there and i managed to learn my roll very quick. i also made friends with people there and got along with everybody.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarks. Our community is ready to answer.