Claire's Employee Reviews

Found 315 reviews matching the search See all 2,820 reviews
Fast paced but great fun!
Store Manager/SMT/DPT (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset18 April 2019
Been working for this company for nearly 3 years, started off alright then went through a rough patch for about 9 months with useless staff but then I built my own team when I became a permanent Store Manager. My new DSM joined last summer, and it has definitely made a huge difference having the right support from her! Since then I became a district DPT and SMT and I couldn’t love my job any more.. yes it’s super busy, with plenty of tasks and not enough hours in the day but being busy is the way forward! If you get lucky like me to build an amazing team like mine, you’ll love your job! Work never really feels like work if you enjoy it. Weekends are always fun creating new looks, never a dull day at Claire’s! Some said no bonuses or incentives.. it’s not true at all. You get chances at hitting bonuses each quarter (there is 4) if your store is performing vs Target, and if you and your team do customer service, you’ll be in it to win it! And plenty of incentives, whether it’s Same Store Sales or Dress to Impress competitions. Personally I won couple of bonuses and an iPad when my store achieved positive sales vs Last Year!
Pros
Quarter bonuses, fun weekends, great career progression
Cons
Rude customers
Awful place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Telford13 April 2019
Hours are shocking, as a supervisor I had a maximum of 4 hours a week because of “cuts”. Never got the key holder recognition, never got “extra pay”, management promise progression and then gave it to other, more “favourable” employees, then were shocked that I left. Shift changes that I could be told about weeks before that were changed again, or they’d change a shift hours before I was supposed to work it. Not allowed holidays in certain periods, they force you into the ear piercing with little to no warning and then have a “consulting session” with you when you mess it up. My management team were terrible, but the sales assistants I worked with were brilliant. I hope the company buck their ideas up or go bankrupt quickly.
Pros
50% off products
Cons
Literally everything else.
Not great for long term
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Undisclosed11 April 2019
If you work with the right people you can get by but I have been unlucky in terms of management. Rotas are changed last minute and not always told, I didn't have a manager for a while so I was thrown into managers role after only being there a couple of months which wasn't terrible but felt extremely unappreciated.
Pros
50% discount (but expensive anyway)
Cons
Lowest hourly wage I have ever had
Hated it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk5 April 2019
There were too many test you had to do while working here, i was only there for two months as i was a temporary sales assistant. you couldn’t sit down ever on your shift, even though i states that i can not stand for prolonged periods of time in my interview. pay is very low, when i was there it was 4.55 an hour.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
Fun place to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth31 March 2019
Working at Claire's is fun if you already enjoy the products sold in store. An average day consists of dressing up, serving customers, distributing delivery and piercing ears. It's a good job to have if you are a student as (in my experience) sales assistants are only hired on 4 hour contracts - however there is always overtime, especially during the summer holidays. There is also the fun of hosting parties in store which basically consists of dressing up, make up and party games. Pay is minimum wage however you do get a 50% discount in store.
Pros
50% discount, ear piercing & parties keep things interesting
Cons
Sales assistants only guaranteed 4hrs per week, rushed into ear piercing training
ok
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton28 March 2019
It was on ok work place, not very understanding when it came to timr off because of poorly children. Hours were ok, but was expecting to cover at very short notice, which is hard for me as i have children and i have to plan childcare in adavance
Bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire27 March 2019
This was a bad experience because they employed me for 2 days. As I am still at school they were not supposed to hire me. The manger of the store ignored the head office and hired me anyway knowing that I wouldn’t last long. When I found out that I could work, I was already in thinking that I was going to work. The manager took me to the back office and said that head office was supposed to call you saying you can’t work here until you finish school. I ended up calling head office to see if I was to be paid and when and they told me that it was the managers job to call me. I do not recommend getting a job at the Swindon store because they are so disorganised and unprofessional.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Disorganised and unprofessional
As a young sales assistant, the pay is bad.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot24 March 2019
I have learnt a lot at Claire's and have grown to be a more confident person. The pay is out-of-proportion to the work, as one of the top sellers I get paid the least and often I am taken for advantage by receiving jobs that are not what my job requires. All the staff want to quit so the management is never secure and permanent.
Pros
Trained to pierce ears.
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, bad salary
Fun expressive work place
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ebbw Vale21 March 2019
Possibly the best place I have worked, very fun and expressive environment. Can be stressful at time such as upselling, using and adapting new techniques. Very little hours given for certain tasks. But always enjoyed pushing myself and reaching the targets.
Pros
Progressed to supervisor / key holder
Cons
Not enough hours
productive place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames14 March 2019
Claire's was a fantastic opportunity for me to learn more about customer service and gain the right skills to develop as a sales adviser, i feel like i developed new skills in problem solving as most of my time on the shop floor i spent helping customers with their inquires, which developed my skills. It was a fantastic place to workout and would highly recommend working at Claire's.
Underpayed and treated horrendously
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge6 March 2019
Truly an awful place to work. The communication between staff and head office was probably the biggest issue, other than the disgusting pay. (I was pressured to become a keyholder and didn't receive a pay rise; I was on minimum wage). Head office did not care about staff well-being. We were forced to deal with things such as aggressive shop lifters and dangerous piercings without any support whatsoever. Ear piercing training is rushed and all staff are pressured to start doing it, even when not ready. Head office also offered incentives for hard work that were never followed through. My manager gave me an average reference that was false even though I'd given her MONTHS of notice. On top of all of this, I was contacted almost a year after leaving by the district manager I had never met to try and convince me to quit my current job and return to a company I quite frankly hated. Unprofessional, unethical and reeked of desperation. They will hire anyone and convince you it's because they "believe in you". You will be happier working literally anywhere else, trust me.
Pros
50% off
Cons
absolutely everything else
Great company
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 March 2019
I have been working at Claire's for nearly 20 years and I love everything about the company. A very supportive and progressive company with enthusiastic teams.
not a great place of work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horne23 February 2019
management would leave us supervisors and sales assistants to do all of their jobs, the pay was always minimum wage. We were restricted in many areas of development.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edgware18 February 2019
Working at Claire's is fun environment to work in and the staff are just as fun and lovely as well. You really do get a chance to work closely with the customers.
hard work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands13 February 2019
Working at Claire you take on more responsibility than what you bargain, when i started working for Claire the team had to be rebuilt and after a month i was left to run the store by my self with little management experience , it also meant longer hours having to do open close weeks, and there was no increase of wage so you were doing all off that on a basic wage. The only upside was not having to work many weekends.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
basic pay extra work
Fun workplace
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blackpool7 February 2019
Fun workplace but wasn’t for me. Very tiring and de motivating. Not enough staff for the work load given, unreasonable targets for the town we are in.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Not enough time for lunch breaks
Disgusting place to work.
Keyholder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London3 February 2019
Management treats you like garbage. Lone trading every day. Kingston eden walk is quite frankly god awful and the store manager is a very useless woman.

The district manager is also a dog faced piece of work who thinks its funny to bully you for how you dress.

The Kingston Eden Walk store should cease to exist.
Pros
Slow death
loved working at claires
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow2 February 2019
this was a very busy shop in Glasgow city centre, very hands on job which also does ear piercing, only down side was no security cameras, or security staff.
Pros
delightfull place to work
Cons
no security
Good first job
Key holder/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edgware Station22 January 2019
This was my first job and I was here for 3 and 1/2 years, it was a great first job and had many positive experiences for example piercing ears. I was promoted to supervisor and worked full time once I had finished school. I made friends and enjoyed the environment of this young, fun company. It isn't a long time job or career and doesn't pay enough but it is a good first job to have. I enjoyed it while it lasted
brilliant place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston18 January 2019
i enjoyed working at claires so much but even with staffing changes we pulled threw together as a team. i made brillaint friends and a few issues neededs fixing and the distrct manager is rude disrespectful and un capable of doing her job correctly.
Pros
customers and staff
Cons
district manager and secruity for staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Claire's. Our community is ready to answer.