CJ Lang & Son Limited Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Central Station, Glasgow5 March 2019
I worked here for 1 year and I found the job was very easy to do could be boring at times if shop was quiet. Found the staff all quite 2 faced constantly talking about one another. And management always phoned on my days off to cover staff sickness and didn't like being told no. All training is done online at home which is handy. There wasn't any chance to progress in my position except to supervisor which I wouldn't do as they are treated like slaves.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor wage
Overtime
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City2 March 2019
Done over time every week and then was asked to do more over time which I said no due to personal family matters then got taken to the operation managers office and told I would lose my job if I never done anymore over time.
Pros
Free rubbish cups of tea/coffee
Cons
Horrible team leaders
Hideous place to work
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Dundee1 March 2019
C J Lang & Son is a disgusting place to work. They expect everything and give nothing. Breathe outwith your break time and you are likely to be disciplined. Safety measures in place are substandard and downright dangerous and health & safety would have a field day with the amount of rats that make the warehouse their home. The smell of dead birds is atrocious.

Remember, good companies retain staff. This one is constantly advertising for staff. Tells its own story.
Boring. Monotonous
Order Picker and Assembler (Former Employee) –  Scotland, IN3 September 2018
Most boring and condescending place ive ever worked. Don't explain anything about the bonus system that the place prides itself on. People in it at warehouse level are fine but anything above that they are demoralising and don't care about who ever is below them. wouldn't recommend it if you want a life.
Busy store.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Inverness29 June 2018
Always busy and very little time to complete tasks. Located close to a lot of B and B's and next to a high school so varied customers from all over the world which it made it interesting.
Pros
Customers.
Cons
Really busy spells at lunchtimes with high school kids.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Biggar13 April 2018
At my time with Cj Lang, I have had an abundance of opportunities to further myself and qualifications. The store I work in has been my second home for the past 9 years and I have loved it. Every issue that has arisen has been delt with professionally and fairly. I think all round it’s a great place to work .
Pros
Christmas hampers
Good learning experience
Spar (Former Employee) –  Biggar6 December 2017
I learned a lot from this job. i learned how a sore operated and behind the scenes of how it work. Everyone was friendly and kind and guided me though my training.
Happy and friendly workplace
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Tarbolton25 July 2017
Everyone works as part of team it is a happy working environment and all members of staff support each other and have a great relationship with the customers .
no comment
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scotland8 July 2017
no good comments from my on experience with this company
the company is run badly in some areas the staff in stores are okay to work with its higher up that the issues lie with
Pros
some fun staff
Cons
long hours .stores short staffed. poor managment
busy shop good team
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bonnybridge, Falkirk10 June 2017
Hard work busy shop but working in a good team from general assistants to management . Opening hours are 6am till 10pm so some shifts can be long but the day does go in fast we also sell hot food so ive had to do the food and hygiene course as there are times im in the kitchen cooking everyday is different
Pros
close to home
Cons
no cons
decent company
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grangemouth, Falkirk22 May 2017
spar are a good company to work for, they have given me lots of training and given me the opportunity to learn about the post office and how it works and have gained my health and hygiene certificate with them.
Pros
105 discount
Cons
the information is not always passed on
Helpful & Productive
Pricing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dundee City20 March 2017
While working at CJ Lang I have day to day responsibilities that includes daily checks on the system and creating a clear organised area. Management is well put together, can speak to anyone about any quires that you have within the work place and without.
The office is a busy environment with phones ringing constantly.
The hardest part is learning the jargon and the best part is working with people who are so supportive and calm.
Pros
Freebies
Good and friendly staff .
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton /larkhall7 February 2017
I loved working with spar(cj lang)the staff and customers were all good to get on with,I love helping people so the job left me satisfied at the end of the day.
Pros
Cons
Late hours
Interesting job no two days are the same.
Security Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dundee31 January 2017
A typical day could be visiting a store between Carnoustie to Helmsdale that have security issues or being in the office viewing CCTV footage, or checking through pale work.
How to carry out interview's.
All my line manger's have been ex police. I personally have not had much dealings with other line manager's, like in all company's some are better than others
Work load is getting bigger for little reward
Writing reports
Problem solving
Pros
Company Car and flexable hours
Cons
On call 24./7
good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire22 December 2016
very easy day to day work place, always looking for new staff, the hardest part of the day was the deliveries, most of the people were nice and easy to work with.
Fast Paced
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire22 November 2016
Fun fast paved environment, great for connecting with people staff and customers. Teaches how to adapt to the any given situation. Highly sales driven. Clever when it comes to providing other services such as Post office and subway.
Was a job
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen21 September 2016
Was an ok job, but not a very safe place to work, no help from manager ether. It payed the bills though. Which was the main thing, had a lot of lovely customers that was in regularly, some staff was fine to work woth
Pros
Payed the bills
Cons
No support from management when needed
great customers
Supervisor & Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  stanley10 April 2016
As a supervisor i would manage the store and staff members order stock and do daily banking etc and giving great customer service
Too Many Chiefs (and not enough Indians)
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dundee25 November 2015
As an employee, the majority of the time I felt under appreciated and under valued by higher management. I felt there was a severe lack of support from management when offering opinions or regarding day to day issues that needed addressing.

For the work involved I do not feel the rate of pay is high enough for what is expected (in all areas). Staffing was spread far too thin which resulted in failings to deliver a positive shopping experience for customers.

The best thing about the job was the staff who despite all the wrongs remained as upbeat and positive as they could and worked at 100% each and every shift.
Pros
Fast paced & Variety of work
Cons
Unsociable shift patterns/ Not family friendly
Not good
Kitchen assent (Former Employee) –  Dundee12 August 2015
This is not a company that I would not recommend to anyone not even my worst enemy. if your face dusent fit thay push you out and try to put you down if you don't go. The only thing that is good is the hours of work that's it avoid at all costs.
Pros
You get your diner for free and also tea and coffee
Cons
If you want juse you have to pay for it it's not good