Civil Nuclear Constabulary Employee Reviews

good company to work for
HR Manager, People and Performance (Current Employee) –  Cumbria23 March 2019
family feel to the organisation, honesty and integrity are highly valued.
a pride of working for the force is evident, travel to other locations is expected
Pros
Gym access
Ex employee
Ex police officer (Former Employee) –  Sellafield, Cumbria14 August 2018
If you like to stand around bored for 12 hours at a time then to be told you ARE working 2 of your days off then this is the job for you. Over trained and under used, basically a security guard with a gun. Don’t expect to do police work but do expect to watch the clock waiting to go home. Some good people to spend time with but most are looking for other jobs and are unhappy. If you want to join the police then join a real police force and stay clear of these.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Lots
Do your research, know what the job is.
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  North West28 July 2018
The CNC is a very specialised area of Policing, the list of what you won't do is as long as any other forces description of what you will do on a daily basis so make sure you understand what the day to day role is.
As you will see from some of the other reviews like with any Police Force you will have to pass the training course(not sure why this is a surprise to some people undertaking this as a career). You will get a lot of help the job has a number of people who really wanted to join the home office and will eventually go off and do so meaning that recruitment is often open for the CNC regularly. All this means the tutors and instructors all want you to pass if you meet the standards, are the standards high, yes, but then so is the potential level of responsibility you will take on once you have passed.
The people I work with certainly make the job the enjoyable place to be that I find it. Does a large organisation have areas it could do better in, sure but if you work with people to get where you need to be and be patient it all works out. If after you have a full understanding of the job and what you'll be doing you're still interested I find it very enjoble going to work.
Pros
Opportunity for development, good pay, lots of leave
Cons
Some layers of management
Worst decision I made
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Culham, Oxfordshire29 June 2018
Gave up my full time secure job to join what I thought was another secure full time job with more benefits. Oh how I was wrong. Due to not passing a role playing exercise I was told to leave by the union before I was dismissed. This happens on every course at week 12 they get rid of whoever they want.
Training does not reflect the job as I’ve seen CNC and all they do is stand in a bunker for 12 hours.
Pros
Good pay and pension
Cons
No job security and too much back stabbing
Dont waste your time!!!
Authorised Firearms Officer (Former Employee) –  Bisley, Surrey26 June 2018
If I had the option it would be no stars. Don't bother!! Avoid at all costs!!
I've literally lost thousands joining this shower of brown stuff.

Firearms instructors are so full of their own self importance and ready to tell you how amazing they are.

They are for the most part lazy and inadequate. Having been a firearms instructor for the Army the dinosaur attitude in the CNC and raging at students on the range is totally out of date.

Coming from someone who served for 17yrs in the forces don't waste your time and money.
Pros
None.
Cons
Inadequate Firearms instructors with absolutely no people skills
join with some caution
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Culham, Oxfordshire26 June 2018
Check all the contract paperwork before signing anything and look out for the 6 strikes and you are out rule " it may not be on the paperwork ,its mentioned during training and by then you have signed your life away and left your secure job .
They can get rid of you at any time during training and during your probation.Old style military training regime that should have disappeared years ago but that culture still exists within the Civil Nuclear police .
Their HR are very poor and not upfront about anything .
The developmental training is non existent .
Proceed with caution
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
poor training, poor trainers, inconsistent approach . no support
The worse time of my life
Whatever the line manager said it was (Former Employee) –  Culham22 June 2018
While my colleagues were good enough they were so scared of the line manager who is probably the worse I have ever come across, a narcissistic, micro manager who undermined the whole team at any opportunity, just to look smarter than anyone else. I would advise anyone who is thinking of applying that the probation period can be very stressful and intimidating.
Cons
Bad Manager
provides money to put food on the table
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Sellafield, Cumbria16 December 2017
my experience with this company has not been enjoyable at all. It is very close nick, if you're not accepted you are outcasted. Other departments are very friendly and accepting. Business support was the total opposite towards new younger members of the team.